Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• The reality is that the divide between physical and mental symptoms is a very thin one. The majority of mental illnesses ultimately do have a physical organic cause, it is just they they are in the process of being uncovered.

Eg, schizophrenia has been shown to have an organic etiology, same as Parkinsons. MS causes severe depression, anxiety, and exhaustion, with a 15% suicide rate, and it is not all connected to the amount of disability, can happen even become the disease manifests. An in-law relative of mine was diagnosed with severe bipolar, but then it transpired he had an organic brain condition driving it, resulting in spasms and seizures which sadly killed him. A really lovely person he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Seems May has been a bit of a crapshoot for all of us, hasn’t it?

This month coincides with an anniversary, and there’s a whole load of emotions that can come with that. Also, have an extended family member who’s awaiting tests, and hoping that it’s nothing more serious.

Sleep has been weird, for sure. I missed a therapy session at the end of April. A combination of sleep deprivation, cold showers, and sleeping through an alarm. It was a zoom call, so therapist still got paid- so win for them, I think. And the shower got repaired, so a win there too.

Really hate not knowing if my random exhaustion is down to long covid.  

Strangely, the day I missed my appointment, I stumbled across a video on People magazine’s youtube channel. It was the director, Kevin Smith, discussing his mental health. He recently suffered a mental health breakdown, and had to check himself into a recovery facility. I won’t post the link here, because it details some incidents that might be triggering to others, including sexual assault, and I don’t want to upset anyone. And while I don’t relate to his discussion of S.A, other topics he discusses, such as bullying, mockery, name calling, and sort of creating ‘another self’ to cope with life or mask your insecurities felt very relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Completely overwhelmed here to be honest. Too much problems, personally and with family. Can't relax or enjoy free time, can't focus on work and chores. I really need a year away to step outside all the **** and decompress.

It's like covid lockdown for 10 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Rattled with anxiety for no reason at all. I effing hate when there's no reason

It's our flight or fight response, somewhat, I believe. That nothing is happening means 'something' might happen. Like if we were trapped in a fire, the 'this is fine' meme would apply more aptly.

I know you've had some stressors in your life recently, that might have set things off, I imagine. Things being 'calm' means waiting for something else to happen, which creates the anxiety.

• Advertisement

Took another day off work to attend appointment for a serious family member health issue that's been dragging on for years now. It just goes on and on.

Totally wrecked and deflated now and have no energy to do anything or even think. And down a day's pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭apache

So irritated all day with people. I hope this passes. I'll end up getting myself in trouble.

Drink plenty of water and get outside of you can. Don't waste any energy saying or doing anything you'll regret.

The amount of problems we carry around with us all our lives and the problems of our families instead of dealing with the problems or accepting them is ridiculous. We end up just passing them on to the next generation. It's a real cultural thing where we just soldier on year after year. Endlessly distracted instead of dealing with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Does anyone use phenergan? Is it available over the counter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

I bought it OTC (although a few years ago) I bought to help sleep.

It didn't suit me at all, I felt like I was hallucinating.

Never again..

Taking a day off as I have family related hospital appointment in the afternoon. Can't really focus on anything in the meantime. Or relax. Loads of things rattling around in my mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's not easy, I have newbie nerves here still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Everything is triggering me, I can't even watch TV. Not sure what to do or where to turn to

Hope you all have a better weekend

Oh that's a rough place to be.. My missus swears by podcasts or narrated books.

I've had that. where even a movie can strike a nerve and I have to switch it off.

Try and get out of the house, or journal, or do something to get the energy out of your system- be it exercise, or just putting music on and working out to it.

Getting some therapy for anxiety at the moment. It's helping. However it's so easy to fall back into my old habits. Too much stuff ingrained. Need to stay aware.

I have hard problems to deal with, but I need to dial the anxiety down. I really don't need it.

I wish we'd got this kind of mental health training as kids over several years of school.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

The unfortunate thing is that while there has been more of an emphasis on mental health in recent years, there just isn't the resources available for it in schools. I mean, the words are there, but the actual 'actions' are not. And with teachers given less and less resources, and stuff being pushed on them regarding classes or class material, there's even LESS emphasis on mental health. And I've known a few teachers, can count a couples as acquaintances, and they have serious issues themselves. Issues that they haven't addressed, so how can they help someone when they are letting their own issues fester? Knew one who would drive to work with shades on, in the autumn, or winter... cos she was sporting a hangover from the night before.

I also know someone who took their own life about two or three weeks ago. They were twelve years old.

I'd love to think that mental health has gotten somewhat 'better' in how it's taught, but it's not so much in how it's experienced. Even according to studies, the rate of mental health problems have steadily increased. And that was from a study printed two years before the pandemic.

I think I had one class about meditation in school, and it was from a substitute teacher. Mental health was rarely if ever discussed. The old Irish attitude to mental health, which seems to have changed very little, if at all.

Very interesting documentary on BBC 1 now called The Antidepressant Story.

• Advertisement

Let me know what you think. Don't have telly but I'm sure it'll be on youtube or something similar in a while.

Well what can I say?

Was very interesting. More about the side effects of the drugs. Made me think... I'm going to see my psych tomorrow. I want off all the drugs. I'll taper it and do it correctly but somethings got to give. My list of side effects is 10 so far and I'm not finished yet tonight writing them down. Shocking really.

Like I've been on these pills 10 years straight and they are doing nothing for me. So yeah this documentary was insightful.

There's a lot of nasty, nasty things about the pharma industry for sure, I'm lucky, happy enough on my meds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

My current meds/dosages have been keeping me reasonably stable for7 or 8 months now, I think. Hoping to get a bit longer with them, don't think I've gone 12 months on any dose/meds/combination in 2 decades. I'll get 6 months, 9 if I'm really lucky, and then my tolerance gives out. Trying to catch it and do something before I go full breakdown - somehow felt like things had to be utterly dire for several weeks before it warranted a psych or gp visit.

Went to the appointment. Wrote down what I needed to say. He listened. I felt better. Have a plan, just need to stick to my side of the bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Yes. I often say something physical is wrong for a med cert with 'medical condition' down during periods of mental illness (bipolar II). Things are improving very slowly with how people view mental illness.

I'm on a lithium, seroquel, affex combination since 2014 and very stable really.

Prior to than lithium, prothiaden (an old tricyclic) and the SSRI affex. 2003-2014. Quite stable too but my consultant wanted to replace Prothiaden.

Lithium was the game changer for me, on it 20 years since January 2003. My breakdown came in 1996 and I wasn't stable on any meds until I went on lithium. 3 monthly bloods and I can exercise a lot on it and live relatively normally etc.

My go to list for helping my mental health.

1. Regular exercise. Write down a routine. push through any tiredness to do at least 30min moderate exercise 5 times per week. Cardio, core etc. Looking well and fit is a great boost in itself, let alone the release of feel good hormones.
    2. Try and stick to a good diet of basic foods, avoid sugary drinks and foods. Just mess up your energy levels.
    3. Fresh air, no matter the time of year get air into your system, be it walks, gardening, any type of outdoor physical work is great. i also try and get a good bit of sun, Vit D. There's plenty of Irish sun if you look for it.
    4. Write out my aims and goals yearly, when you achieve something, be it a new job, a promotion, an improvement to your house or whatever, the sense of achievement is great.
    5. Do activities you enjoy. I don't get bogged down in Irish or International News. They only report the bad stuff!
    6. Be aware of the people you have in your life. Some will say things that boost you, others are knockers. You need positive thoughts. And we become our thoughts.
    7. Practise mindfullness, breathing techniques, CBT etc if you find them helpful. They can be used in areas where you feel panicky.
    8. Be aware that you are not alone. At any particular time 1 in 5 are suffering with their mental health.
    9. Try and learn from every setback.
    10. Talk to trusted people when low.
    11. Be resilient. If you're on meds that don't work you'll eventually get a better reigieme.
    12. Try and develop a toughness that you don't care what outsiders think, the people that matter care about you.
    13. Monitor your time online and social media etc, it's very easy get draw into arguments and tangents that are pointless and cause you stress. While who you're arguing with can thrive on such sh*te.

Off the top of my head.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that list.

It's very easy to forget and fall back into old habits.

Advertisement