Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Pandemonium yesterday in Galway when some school tour spotted the T**man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,897 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

How many times can he get away with regurgitating that inane shite about liking Galway cos he went there as a child? It really is pointless shite. Crazy that him and his pals are getting paid to go on these little holidays so he can talk about having ice cream in Connemara. He's one useless fella altogether.

And still blabbering on about wanting to learn Irish, I see. Sounding oh-so-frustrated about not having gotten around to it before now, despite the fact that he's been spouting the same shite for years, every time he finds himself on a freebie trip to the Gaeltacht. But he's very serious about it this time don't you know!

It's all very immature. Like a spoiled kid packing in his latest hobby yet again, once he realises that gaining a skill requires actual work.

Patronising the peasants of Spideal in Irish would be the perfect thing to reinforce his warped self-image, but he's just too damn lazy to actually put the effort in. A terrible conflict of emotions for the DLB.

Surely there must be a way for someone else to learn Irish for him and just magic the whole language into his head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

As Kildare1976 has said, he's on the Presidential trail. Praising young people doing the Leaving Cert, targeting Galway and West vote, learning the Irish language.

• Advertisement

Yeah, he might be testing the waters alright. Recently heard his guests (Bertie I think? And maybe others?) making "jokes" about it, which he has brushed off in a sort of faux-humble manner.

Must be a fantasy of his to swan around Aras lecturing the country about kindness while not really doing much actual work. Then again, he's proven himself to be way too sensitive in the past so the aul ego might not be able to take the inevitable criticism that'll come if he announces his interest in the presidency.

He must be feeling awful conflicted these days what with RFK Jr's anti-vax and anti-lockdown speeches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

"I still don't know what an air fryer is". If only there was some way of finding out about all these things that he doesn't know anything about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Listened to first five minutes, to see if got any better since he left LLS,

FFS, innane waffle, mentioned don't know what air fryer is, hopeing to bag a free top of range one,

Saw clip of this and that film, all good eggs in them,

Books are fab, you'll never be bored with a book, but if you don't read your still a good egg,

How does one man get so much for so little,

He must know stuff, about rte,🤔😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"He must know stuff, about rte"

And at the same time he doesn't seem to know anything about anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

For the past 10 minutes I thought he was interviewing Brendan Gleeson and was wondering why he was calling him Colm.

This sun doesn't agree with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭avfc1874

😂, I meant the very big closet with all the skeletons in it, a georgeous closet

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭amlinopta

He has been "chain smoking" the books lately, finishes one and picks the next one up straight away! 8 or 9 piled up beside the bed.

RTE has admitted that it paid top presenter Ryan Tubridy hundreds of thousands of euro more over a period of several years than it declared to the public and the Oireachtas.

In a statement issued this afternoon the board of the national broadcaster said that between 2017 and 2022, Mr Tubridy received a series of payments totalling €345,000 above his annual published salary.

Should be an interesting read through the papers tomorrow morning. Am surprised that they didn't coordinate it to break during his holidays. Horribly greedy individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭US3

We need to make deduct licence fees at source to cover these overspends.

I wonder has Forbes resignation anything to do with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Would this be Centre Parks then?

This is outrageous - straight from the Fr. Ted book of creative accounting.

So RTE finally get a commercial party for his show, slice 75K a year off the cost to the sponsor. The sponsor gives the 75k to poor impoverished Ryan. The only loser here is the licence payer

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭US3

We need to make deduct licence fees at source to cover these overspends.

I wonder has Forbes resignation anything to do with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Well well well.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Irish Times report of the same story. The inconsistencies between the two accounts regarding the amounts paid are bizarre.

I'm sure there'll be speculation about a connection between this and his decision to step back from the LLS.

• Advertisement

I'd say Oliver Callan and Brendan Courtney are getting calls now to see if they're free for the next week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Isn't this when Tubs usually heads off for his Summer holliers anyway. All blown over by the time he gets back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,291 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

While he was preaching to us about Covid he was lining his pockets with this shady deal, absolute parasite.

Yeah I think it's around July when he takes off, I'm sure even if he shows up tomorrow it'll just be more of the usual 'I like books, XYZ is fascinating/intriguing, children in awe of the Toy Man' crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭bigroad

Not a bother on them sure we hope it doesn't happen again.

But but is this the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

How many more unfortunate errors have they made ,at the licence payer's expense.

It's ok as if you want to see our books we will show them two or three years down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sigma101

No indication that it was an error though. According to the Chair of the RTE board it was a “serious breach of trust with the public”. This and the review they ordered suggests something more systemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

TV Licence should be scrapped for 1 year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

How do the Montrosia road get away with butt reaming the taxpayer is beyond me.

Paying dudes and dudesses outlandish wedges to waffle on about 99s, good eggs, what’s your views on short shorts, getting them to pimp the laziest prop in the book the 51551 to try and bring in the lowest common denominator.

And incredibly it’s ore difficult to get info about their inner workings that light from a black hole in space.

How do they get away with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

What are the repercussions of telling effective lies to a Dail committee? (I know politicians do it all the time but still....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

While RTE didn't declare the €300k in their accounts I'd assume Tubs declared the income to Revenue

Advertisement