Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes. that about sums it up all right. As to what will happen with Russia post Putin, that's the 6 million dollar question ( or even trillion dollar) The positive signs emerging is that financially, they're not in a good place. and it's getting worse. Economically, whoever comes after Putin, will have financial basket case on his hands. And will not be in any position to make any demands on the EU, UK or US. And despite all the bluster and talk, militarily, they're not too good either.. This is not to say that there neaten, far from it, but to continue to fight at the rate that this war is shaping up to, I doubt that they can continue for more than 6-8 mth's or so. We will see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think you greatly underestimate how long the war can continue; there's historical precedent that we (as humans, politicans etc.) continously underestimate how long a country can financally continue. In this case they have not even gone over to a war economy yet which easily buy them another year or two at least but I'd guess they could sustain (as in send soldiers with a basic AK-47 style gun) for years but their ability to produce enough fuel, vehicles, grenades för artillery etc. will be constrained (but not stopped and once again they can switch this up if required further).

I think the end of the war will come in two parts; the first one Putin has to be replaced. If that's him fleeing, being shot, having an accident with a Russian window, dying from cancer etc. I leave as an open question. But I don't see Putin ever ending the war simply because he has no reason to and when it ends he's over (short of a victory and even that's dubious).

Second part to this is on the west; there is only so much production capacity for supply to Ukraine. To date it's been mainly shipping what was already in storage but we're now at the point of a 2-3+ year wait on orders for 155mm grenades for example and this will simply naturally constrain what can be donated to Ukraine as well. This is before we talk about the US and the upcoming election if Trump or another Republican would get in power who wants to cut the support short etc. Same thing applies with maintainance for the equipment in Ukraine; it will degrade over time and the crews only have had so much time and spare parts to use in the first place. Hence while there may be a will the reality is the west supply will shrink as well over time based on re-stock capabilities and simply that people get tired on paying for the war and the harsh attrition of war itslef on equipment (producing a new tank etc. is not done in 6 months).

This is where I think Ukraine while they want to regain everything is doing everything they can to be in as good of a position as possible when the day comes when Putin is gone and the real peace talks starts. Now when that is I have no idea but I'd not see Ukraine being really interested until after the push is over (i.e. october/november) at the earliest simply because they know they done all they can before the winter kicks in. However Putin going away will (imo) be the trigger for actual peace talks to start; when ever that happens is when I expect peace may be in sight. Until that point even if Ukraine would manage to kick them out everywhere, (highly unlikely in the span of 12 months), Russia would simply keep guerilla op over the border and act the maggot anyway (while Ukraine would be restrained in that they can't really attack into Russia realistically due to committments to the west etc. as well as the size of Russia). In the end I think the war will end by enough oligarks getting annoyed enough about not being able to make money and that will be the Russian window moment for Putin; not anything that actually happens on the battle field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Edit: waffle + thoughts below:

Am also pessimistic about anyone "better" (for Ukraine and the West) taking over after him.

For a while I have believed the best approach given Ukraine are fighting very hard to stay independent + survive and Russia is weaker than expected is to swallow fears of escalations, give Ukraine what they ask for weapons-wise, and hope they can shatter Russia's military and run it out of most /all of the post Feb 2022 occupied territories, on a rail.

There is a decent chance IMO that Putin would be removed after such a collapse, once it is big & obvious, can't be glossed over and he also cannot mollify or bully those under him any longer. They may be jostling for position if we see personal criticisms of him appearing in public from an ally like Prighozin. I don't think that is all just for show, or faked. In any case Putin won't last forever, see below article/interview on it from a few weeks ago:

The successor may be another warmonger who despises Ukraine/ & the US/EU/West, but if the state finanaces are quite bad and he has little military tools left to go on the offensive post a large setback in Ukraine, I think it possible he (almost certainly he?!) will just put all the blame on Putin for the war's failure and then retrench somewhat. If there's no agreement ending the war, it could devolve into a hotter "North Korea" type situation at Ukraine's defacto borders with oscillating levels of tension, Russia firing salvos of missiles etc. into Ukraine on a semi-regular basis or doing cross border raids.

Unfortunately it means the Western stance towards Russia has to be kept as is until there is significant political change, the sanctions will stay in place indefinitely (hopefully they can be increased) and Europe will have to rearm back close to the Cold War levels, maintain a Ukraine armed to the teeth and keep deterring a weakened but very angry and hostile Russian leadership from taking more military actions. I feel people in several key countries are likely going to have to get used to stuff like possibly bringing back conscription and very large (vs last 30 years) military budgets once again to get through this successfully.

I don't know how that is going to go down with joe public (not well probably, on top of all the other problems we have). When I think about it + the grim likely future ahead I just start to get (even more) f-cking enraged with Putin and all those who are forcing this utter idiocy on everyone. They are a bunch of evil f-ucking **** who should be loaded up on a rocket and fired into the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It would appear that the counteroffensive isn’t going as well as we would have hoped.

Incremental gains and the Russian line of defence for now appears very intact.

Could it be that too much talk of a counter was mentioned giving the Russians enough time to prepare themselves? Too weak an offensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

100 Western tanks mostly older variants ,100 or so modern IFVs a few months nato training,no aircover,not enough artillery and missles systems and some Storm shadows missles was never going to defeat the Russians behind multiple lines of defenses and fortifications and still has its aircraft and helicopters intact and still heavily outgun the Ukrainans in artillery,

They have depleted the Russians and done some serious damage to the Russian military,but they have not been given the tools to defeat the Russians, Ukraine were promised 1 million artillery shells in the new year and we are now heading to July 7 months in and guess they are still only discussing about the 1 million artillery shells, that they haven't delivered,nato stocks are now running low ,so decisions are going to be need to be made, keeping pumping all the can into ukraine and hope nothing else kicks off or get involved directly in the war and finish the Russians sparking a wider conflict

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think three items are in play honestly; first of all it's a lot easier to defend than attack (see Bakhmut loss estimates for example) but yes, I think they waited to long (probably because they did not get the mechanized equipment to be fair though). The second part is the defence lines; currently there are two or three defence lines depending on where you look. At some points they have broken through the first line and are approaching the second defence line. If they break through that final line then it becomes a Kherzon scenario of them rolling it all up again. Obviously Russia knows this as well but where we expected a quick break through and push it looks more like a grind and a hopeful push once through. The third part is the air superiority in the area with Russia having air superiority as well as having moved in a lot of attack helicopters to support against the mechanization. They are clearly taking it seriously and throwing everything at slowing Ukraine down but those helicopters and planes if they can be shot down (note the weapons in the latest US aid for example)...

I don't think the offensive is to weak but I do think they are holding back to rush through once they achieve the break through. If I look at Russian videos and propaganda we're talking pushes of 10 - 20 vehicles (not tanks). From Ukraine we're talking small bands pushing forward etc. rather than 5000 man batalions. I think once they break through the final back line we'll see two or more batalions driving through and starting to roll things up to either side but this is of course assuming they achieve said break through. The second part to keep in mind is that Ukraine has until around october/november before they can't really continue (weather dependent). Hence while a quick break through and roll up of the lines would be preferable I'm not getting worried yet; and I think Ukraine has been trying to dampen such rapid roll up ideas as well and I'd be pretty sure they would have shown their plan to USA etc. as well for feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I don't see Russia surrendering the four oblasts it has taken. Maybe in the distant future >5 years if Russia disintegrates.

There was a civil war in which 14,000 Ukranian people were killed prior to the war. My understanding is that Crimea has now lost a source of water.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/06/11/ukraine-canal-dam-drinking-water-shortage-crimea-disaster/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's a complete misrepresentation without foundation. That was a separatist movement when Russia armed and participated in.

Russia was directly involved in starting that conflict and many of those deaths.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

There was no "civil war", Russia proxy invaded Eastern Ukraine.

Incredibly the second sentence is actually true, well done.

True but Putin led a ceremony in which he claimed ownership of those four. Unless NATO gets involved or a negotiation begins I don't see Russia stopping until they occupy that territory Maybe I'm wrong but it seems the momentum is not with Ukraine.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/ukraine-counteroffensive-what-to-know.html

It wasn't a civil war it was the initial invasion of Ukraine by Russian forces

He can claim all he likes it doesn't mean he's actually going to keep them

Russia have about a 0% chance of ever controlling all the territory they claim to have annexed, farcical ceremonies not withstanding. Nobody could honestly possibly expect Russia to be capable of re-occupying Kherson for example at this stage.

The Russian military took 7 months to take Bahkmut. Ukrainian probing attacks, with bad weather, took back the equivalent same territory in 2 or 3 weeks.

It's not a foregone conclusion that the Russian military, comprising many prisoners, mobilised men and mercenaries, badly trained, increasingly worse equipment, systemic military corruption, horrendous logistical issues, will manage to defend every inch of Ukrainian territory they hold over the next months/years against a very determined Ukrainian military who are receiving high level training, high level intelligence, increasingly better equipment and much higher morale and motivation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He claimed ownership, while also declaring that as part of Russia (thanks those, snort, referenda that took place) any attacks on the partially-taken oblasts would be considered an attack on the Russia homeland IIRC - and thus necessitating a proportionally aggressive response. This obviously has yet to happen because, as is pointed out, Russia has no authority over the entirety of these regions - regions that still might be restored to their sovereign "owner". Putin can claim keeps all he wants, but first he has to hold what he stole.

As to the counter-attack, hype ensured it was never going to be as impressive, or deemed as successful as the Kharkiv offensive from months back. Everyone looking beyond the headlines could see this was going to be a much tougher grind this time around, not least because Russia has fortified much of the frontlines with 2 lines of defences like some modern day Maginot - not mention the fact it still has air superiority. Ukraine has not committed the entirely of its Western armed battalions, only three of them IIRC. Anyone expecting a repeat of Ukraine's romp across the Russian lines was a naive fool.

I honestly think one of the reasons to declare them part of Russia was to skirt around the rule that conscripts can't be deployed outside of Russia. Hence if these areas are now to be considered part of Russia they can send conscripts there without problem since that's "Russia". Not that it stopped them sending conscripts there previously but it did cause rumblings both among the conscripts as well as their families and now they can promise that all conscripts will "only be in Russia". Not that I think many Russians would be fooled by twisting the of what's to be considered Russia or not but a few is better than none.

Mearsheimer describes the maidan revolution as a coup.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/24483306?read-now=1#page_scan_tab_contents

The analysis was different before the war an I think civil war is a good description. Democratically elected leader ousted in a coup and part of the country refuses to recognise the new government resulting in 14,000 deaths. The burning alive of the Odessa protesters from that period seems to be a particular bone of contention in Russia.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/02/ukraine-dead-odessa-building-fire

Propaganda already thoroughly discredited on thread.

It was not a civil war where it was just Ukranians v Ukranians. Russia was involved directly in starting the conflict. Earlier you posted a Russian lie implying no Russian involvement.

Now you just move onto the next Russian lie. Your claims have no credibility.

Russia interfered in Ukraine before all of that in violation of Budapest treaty, threatening economic blockade and sanctions - all because Ukraine wanted to sign a treaty with EU. That is what led directly to Maidan. It was a prevention of Russian violating Ukraines sovereignty.

Did you know that? I bet the sites you get your Russian propaganda from kept that quiet? Well - did they?

Mearsheimer thinks Ukraine should have just accepted this and bent the knee to Russia. There is no moral basis to his position. Might is right is all that matters to him. He has no standing to judge matters.

You have multiple times now posted Russian lies onto the thread.

You are not here to engage with evidence. It is just a firehose of false claims and propaganda.

Morally and intellectually bankrupt dumping of Russian propaganda without subjecting it to basic scrutiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Even after Girkin admitting responsibility for shooting and shelling in Dunbass, and blaming it on the Ukrainians. Very same formula Putin used before, when he blew up the Moscow apartment's. Killing 300 people and injuring many more, then blaming it on the Chechens and using it as justification for attacking and levelling Grozny. The leopard does not change his spots!!!!

You have accused me of lying. Post peer reviewed journals and references to back up your claims.

I never said Russia did not interfere.

The US backed the coup in 2014. This has been largely documented e.g.

I don't speak or read russian so don't access the russian propaganda sites wherever they are. AFAIK, RT is blocked in Europe or at least I haven't seen it since the war and rarely before. I read the western propaganda and steer clear of telegram as it's a cesspit.

Anyway, I shouldn't have to explain myself to you. I provided sources, here is another one describing the conflict in Ukraine prior to the current Russian invasion as a civil war.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/odr/how-eastern-ukraine-was-lost/

It's a left wing outlet unlike Russia which is right wing.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/opendemocracy/

I think you should review the horrible things you said about me in your previous post.

I have directly accused you of posting Russian lies without subjecting them to scrutiny. If you believe them thats on you. The sites you are relying on are anti American, only too eager to lap up whatever propaganda Russia dumps. They are not objective arbiters.

You falsely presented the 14.000 deaths as all being Ukranian responsibility. Without merit. Without foundation. If Russia interfered and you knew that, it makes your earlier claims look even worse.

Noted you ran away from the question about Budapest. OF course it is to be expected it woudnt lead you to doubt the sources you seem to rely on?

How does Mearsheimer describe Russias actions where it violated its sovereign treaty with Ukraine to interefere in its independence by threatening economic warfare if Ukraine signed a treaty with the EU?

What does he suggest Ukraine should have done and how can you reconcile that with any sense of freedom, human rights, democracy or basic morality?

So how would you describe it?

Not so quick to throw out labels now I suspect?

Well? Thats another question no doubt you will run away from in another example of the moral and intellectual bankruptcy of your position.

2014 wasn't a "US coup". It was a widespread and popular national uprising against Russian-backed Yanukovych. He pulled away from signing preparations with the EU and that was the last straw for many normal Ukrainians, the majority of whom wanted closer ties with the EU rather than Russia (keep in mind that Yanukovych was highly corrupt, was caught with a large mansion, private zoo, fleet of cars and had bled the country's finances almost dry)

The protests involved hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians. Yanukovych responded with violence, having protesters murdered then fled to Russia leaving behind a trail of incriminating evidence. He's still wanted by at least two European countries separately for corruption charges. Russia wheeled him out during the invasion reportedly to use him as their puppet for the newly conquered Ukraine, but the Ukrainian people once again got in the way of that.

I threw out no labels. It's you who called me a liar.

Ithaca (parent of JSTOR )is a US education NGO

You falsely presented the 14.000 deaths as all being Ukranian responsibility

I did no such thing. I pointed out how the us backed the Maidan revolution. Obviously Russia is interfering massively in Ukraine, so much so that it is invading Ukraine. I never once suggested Russia was not interfering in Ukraine.

Iirc, Mearsheimer was recommending Ukraine distance itself from NATO for its own good.

I would recommend Ukraine use every bit of diplomacy it can with respect to Russia to save the lives of its people. Instead, Zelensky refuses to speak with Russia until it leaves Crimea.

Sy Hersh has documented the huge corruption in Ukraine e.g.

https://seymourhersh.substack.com/p/trading-with-the-enemy

Oleksiy Arestovych did not go to the frontline to fight after he resigned. Do you think that sacrificing hundreds of thousands of non politician Ukrainian people is better than diplomacy?

Claire Daly spoke for peace on rte and had Ukranian women crying in the front row. If they cared so much why didn't they go to the frontline to get blown apart. I don't understand that at all.

Finally, I am anti US imperialism. I lived and worked in the US and had one good US friend in particular. I've a lot of respect for the US but their foreign policy IMHO is bonkers and endangering the whole world. I think you need to check your facts.

I'm not an expert, I cited the expert who said it was a coup.

With all due respect, I don't know you, why not show me a peer reviewed paper that says it was not a coup.

You are posting Russian lies. Whether you believe them is on you.

You earlier falsely assigned all responsibility for the 14000 deaths pre 2022 to Ukraine. You did this despite being aware of Russias involvement. Those two statements cannot be reconciled.

So you have no answer to the questions put to you on Budapest. You are quick to throw out labels like coup but when asked to comment on Russias interference in Ukraine you have no such words. You call yourself an anti Imperialist but are here defending Russias imperialism in Ukraine. A morally bankrupt position. That is not the position of anyone who values freedom, democracy or the right of Ukraine to decide its own fate. It is the position of an imperialist. Look in the mirror.

Russia interfered in Ukraine and violated Budapest when Ukraine wanted to sign treaty with EU. Not NATO. The EU.

Fact.

You keep running away from this point with nonsense about NATO and but but but Mearsheimer. As if he is some moral objective arbiter when instead he justifies might is right, he justifies imperialism.

So you get your facts straight. Because where you are getting them from is feeding you lies and imperilst propaganda.

You are the defender of Imperialism here.

Or do you accept that Ukraine has the right as a sovereign state to join the EU without Russian interference? As is provided for in the Budapest and Helsinki accords Russia signed either in its own right or as USSR?

Yes or no?

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Ireland has experience of Imperialism.

Claire Daly is unusual.

• Advertisement

Iirc, Mearsheimer was recommending Ukraine distance itself from NATO for its own good.

That is because Mearsheimer is, unfortunately these days, an idiot or an unwitting stooge. For a "realist" he does not appear to grasp the most basic realist point that had Ukraine already been a member of NATO they would not currently be under invasion and occupation by Russia. The reality is that all of Russian's non-NATO members get invaded and subjugated, so his point is actually that Ukraine should have accepted political and social subjugation to Russia to avoid being raped and murdered which is a choice many, many nations have rejected over the years.

Advertisement