Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,553 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I really can’t see that type a taxation being an incentive to a landowner, it may have the opposite effect to that intended..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Bank of England raised the base rate by 0.5% to 5% today. Inflation seems to be more persistent and not as temporary as CB's had first thought. No suprise if ECB will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Last year I fixed my mortgage for 5 years, thinking 5 years would see me past the worst of the rate hikes and they'll start to come down again. I'm kind of regretting not fixing for 10 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I am talking specifically about land that gets rezoned to residential. And if it’s not used within a certain period it gets rezoned back to non residential. This would help remove the speculative buying of land and also people sitting on land that has been zoned and no building happening despite planning being approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭wassie

No offence, but why would you even bother looking at the interest rate until your fixed rate expires. You have certainty of repayments.

Sleep well at night for the next few years and make over payments (if allowed), or else build a buffer for a big cash payment off the balance in 4 years time.

• Advertisement

It’s not meant to be an incentive to a landowner…. The logic of land gets rezoned and you become a millionaire over night and then sell to someone who sits on it for 10/20 years needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

The interest rate increases will probably induce a recession before inflation gets back on target and there's a good chance of overcorrection which would require cuts in interest rates to stimulate the economy again. 5 years seems reasonable, in 10 you might be regretting it.

It’s not meant to be an incentive to a landowner, is 80% taxation intended to disincentivise landowners from considering parting with their precious land?

Why stop with 80% taxation on rezoned land?, let’s put an 80% tax on new housing, or go the whole hog and place an 80% tax on any profit when you sell your home.

maybe It’s because it would prevent land hoarding

Disincentivising the sale of something seems a unique way of preventing it being used constructively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Ive been told to go variable on a mortgage meeting is this pulling the p1ss ?-variable rate offered 3.9 per cent

If it gets rezoned you have to pay the tax regardless of whether you sell it so can’t see how it prevents the land from being used constructively

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Villa05

I suspect the mortgage rates available up to last year will never be seen again.

How is it a disincentive if someone is still making a profit, albeit smaller profits?

Why stop with 80% taxation on rezoned land?, let’s put an 80% tax on new housing, or go the whole hog and place an 80% tax on any profit when you sell your home.

Because rezoned land is different in that the value of the land is increased by a simple decision of the state, which is made for the benefit of society.

Currently that benefit is afforded 100% to the land owner and society has to pay the cost to use that land constructively. Those costs are shared ultimately between the taxpayer and also passed through to the house buyer. Its not unreasonable that there should be a societal dividend in that decision of the state that would see the landowner make money, lower costs to the taxpayer in providing infrastructure and lower costs for the hosue buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Is this because you think labour shortages will cause continued wage pressure or some other factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danfrancisco83

That's my thinking too. Presumably a healthy rate is between 5 & 7, and that's what ECB will aim for. Hindsight is 20/20 vision, but that's why I'm slightly regretting not locking in a low rate for longer. We'll see I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OEP

There should be some kind of windfall tax on land that gets rezoned. The tax should be on the difference in value before and after rezoning. Now 80% sounds like a bit too much, but it should be reasonably high. Similar with increase in values due to new public infrastructure (Luas, metro etc.) being built.

Well, we will see soon enough after the General Scheme Land Value Sharing and Urban Development Zones Bill 2022 progresses when Govt resumes after the summer recess.

Hopefully the final version doesnt get watered down too much. However I suspect there will be some intense lobbying by those with vested interests over the summer break.

The I.T. piece on it has been posted before, but provides a good explanation of the operation of such.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

By the 80's the general criteria was 3X one salary and 1X the second salary. While in theory it might have seemed easier unemployment was 15-20% most of the time. Emigration was rampant about 15-20%of my school class emigrated, I had relations where in one family 4 sibling emigrated and never returned except on holidays.

Labour was cheap. Trades people were directly employed by builders and paid below the average industrial wage. Tradespeople often took jobs as postmen, P&T( Telecom Eireann) or similar general operatives in state bodies as pay and conditions were better because there was so many of them.

A house build in the eighties was F rated on present building regulations and bears little resemblance to those house at present. House were much more basic than at present

People need to under stand the difference. H&S on build sites was non existent, 29-30 building workers lost there life every year and many more would have been seriously injured.

There was very little building regulations, the first attempt was Homebond in 1978. A lot of houses were build by cash payments, this was especially rampant in house refurbishment. There would have been little or no certification compared to at present.

When I subcontracted my house in 1991 I got the house build in six months. I was getting foundation dug before the final grant of planning was granted. The engineer certifying for the bank payments made 4 visits to the house during the construction phase. He cost about 0.5% of the total house build cost ( nowadays it 2%+ for direct build). I did not take out any insurance ( virtually nobody did). The house design and planning ist 0.5% as well again this is about 2% now for direct build. There was no LA levies. I could get credit from a building supplier.

There was a dodge going on at the time( I was unaware of it until after was I disgusted) you get a builders to order your materials and you could pay him the cash for the material and he would not charge you vat.

Trades people in general were paid cash it was up to them to decide if they wanted to declare it.

The whole upside of this was it was harder for builders to charge astronomical margins on houses and probably with the exception of Dublin it kept a lid on house building costs

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

My parents where both working full time straight after their leaving certs. No college, so 4 years extra working.

Nobody went to Oz or the US for a year travelling etc. You either emigrated or stayed put.

Things are different nowadays for many different reasons and those age profiles are not purely down to the difference in prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

People always want to take what others have for themselves.

When did Ireland become a place where the national pastime is to figure out how we can take tax people more.

It seems every time anyone is doing well there are calls for a tax from many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

How is having your land rezoned to be considered "doing well"?

People benefiting from ag land rezoned as commercial or residential are benefitting due to actions of the state directly. They have not done anything themselves with the land to make it more valuable, the zoning committee have.

Why should a farmer be rewarded with a doubling or tripling of his land value simply because he owns land in the right place?

Also its not about reclaiming money for the state, its about reducing land prices in general. Land in ireland is massively overvalued compared to mainland Europe,and this feeds into property prices. Rezoning taxes like these will stop land hoarding, speculation and outrageous prices being charged for development land, since any profits would be massively taxed. End result is cheaper land to build on and cheaper houses.

If the value of your home benefits from a government decision, say to build a metro line, or a school nearby, would you agree to an 80% tax on the profit from its sale? Of course not.

Look, saying a tax of 80% should apply to rezoned land is bone headed. All that will happen is the owners will sit on their land rather than give away 80% of its value. If you want to incentivise development/sales, you make it more appealing to sell/develop it, not less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Villa05

It's not too much to ask that where land is rezoned that the cost of basic services infrastructure be taken from the jump in value of that land.

Farming and property development are amongst the most subsidised sectors in the country. The more you give the more they come back for more.

Subsidies are not working and the carrot needs to be complimented with some stick to force efficient use of resources

When those in receipt of subsidies are breaking the backs of taxpayers paying for those subsidies, action needs to be taken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Home value tax is unworkable because its impossible to quantify the impact of something like that.

The impact of an undeveloped piece of land being rezoned is very measurable. It is very easy to assess a plot of agricultural land of a given size, and deduce what it would sell for were it not rezoned, then tax the difference.

If your land is rezoned, why would you sit on it? If you are a land speculator (many are) your plans of making a mint by hoarding the land until rezoning have been dashed, now you might aswell sell as holding is not worth it anymore. There is nothing more to earn from waiting so land will get turned over quicker.

Eventually land speculators will mostly be flushed out of the market. Which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OEP

You couple that with a vacant land tax so it's penal just to sit on the land. 80% is too much be I agree with the principle of the tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭DataDude

I assume in this scenario (proposal is linked to Kenny report), the tax is payable immediately, not when the land is sold? So ‘sitting on it’ won’t be possible, it’ll have to be sold to cover the tax bill.

It’s essentially a slightly more generous version of a CPO. Land identified to be in the public interest for development, must be developed. Instead of just taking it at agri value, the landowner is allowed to keep 20% of the profit generated.

Seems fair to me.

Have you missed the point yet again that the tax needs to be paid when land gets rezoned regardless whether the landowner decides to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Well. Because he owns the land and if you want to buy it off him then pay him what its worth. No need for a tax. The buyer still pays the same money for the site.

• Advertisement

The tax money is used for infrastructure (roads water etc) for the new development reducing the cost of new builds

Advertisement