Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Enduro

• Registered Users Posts: 82,522 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Are women safer (or better, or worse) drivers because of their sex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Enduro

(1) It's completely irrelevant to the discussion of transgender athletes, which shows your desperate inability to stick to the actual subject of the thread.

(2)

"Athletes who do not meet the applicable criteria for the men’s category or the women’s category may compete in any open events that FINA may develop in the future. FINA will begin work following the final promulgation of this Policy to determine the feasibility of establishing an open category in Aquatics sport disciplines, in which an athlete who meets the eligibility criteria for that event would be able to compete without regard to their sex, their legal gender, or their gender identity."

"Athletes who do not meet the applicable criteria for the men’s category or the women’s category may compete in any open events that FINA may develop in the future. FINA will begin work following the final promulgation of this Policy to determine the feasibility of establishing an open category in Aquatics sport disciplines, in which an athlete who meets the eligibility criteria for that event would be able to compete without regard to their sex, their legal gender, or their gender identity."

It's completely irrelevant to the discussion of transgender athletes, which shows your desperate inability to stick to the actual subject of the thread.

It was very relevant, proven by the need to expand to point (2). There is no desperation here, you are free to ignore me on thread and carry on discussing aspects of this topic in a way that has nothing to do with me or attacking my personality with frivolous claims?

So TLDR, no authority, constitution, law of nature even, etc. actually asserts what you tried to assert.

Generally, people don’t embarrass themselves using TLDR for five words.

Anyway, if you are going to present childish positions like men who say they are women, are women, you might consider developing a sense of humour to accompany them.

• Advertisement

I'm not blind to your attempts at humor, and I appreciate the humor in them, you're not bereft of wit, but I treat this issue with a different wavelength and gravitas personally, I apologize if my response was curt but I think it no less true what I said.

There has been an awful lot of effort to undermine my arguments today with efforts like that though, 'oh you're embarrassing yourself' 'go away' 'grow up' 'you're distracting us' 'just ignore him' etc. but I'm not seeing any consensus-building and I'm not seeing any tackling of the central arguments.

I don't know in terms of motorsports but there's more males taking part at every level.

I believe the categories are mainly based on the cars rather than the drivers so anyone able to drive good enough can take part if they can afford it.

The W series is for women. I don't know if that's a sex or gender based category. I'd imagine any woman getting to that level is pretty good though.

Hadn't heard of that one, but reportedly it already died a death because Formula 1 stepped in to place with F1 academy.

Another reason I asked was that since *checks notes* 2012, it's been illegal in Ireland to charge drivers a separate premium for drivers based on gsex, in spite of 'common wisdom' 'stereotypes' 'statistical arguments' etc. about who are better at the activity by a condition of their sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Ok, I’ll bite against my better judgment despite I said earlier. I have absolutely no problem with people who honestly believe they were born in the wrong body. Could be a mental issue that needs help, who knows?

Therlizon Theron adapted a boy who was 3 who told her he was actually a girl. Grand, maybe this boy could actually have been told he was a boy?

Anyway back on topic if we mix sports it’s the end of womens sport, no young girls will start playing sports knowing they have no chance of winning anything

It's a conundrum, because if the sports remain so staunchly segregated based on moral arguments about gender, no young trans persons will similarly start playing sports. They all have the same rights to be included in the commons.

I don't believe bans will solve anything. I genuinely believe the calls for a ban are being stoked by political establishments, elected politicians and their campaign strategists, to agitate votes, pump out news articles freaking out about kids identifying as cats and men in womens locker rooms, or 'groomers in girls bathrooms' then offer people an expedient solution to a deeply uncomfortable moral conflict: just ban it all and make it go away.

Per-competition basis, there must be other ways to ensure fairness without sacrificing inclusion, testosterone screening is one example sports bodies have used, Enduro referenced another org that took an exhaustive look at the topic, without proposing the political erasure of trans women. In some competitions like eSports or motoracing it might be functionally irrelevant, so no need to sweep competitors up or out with such sweeping bans (which, as I pointed out, is still a sometimes casualty of this movement in time). Weight classes in boxing was one example where a sport has tried to ensure safety and fairness by matching up competitors to other similarly specced competitors to ensure a truly sporting event, and several tiers where competitors can achieve accolade (belts). There's nothing technically stopping a swimming race from not having gender divisions but division by height and weight or stroke-force/length and drag coefficient etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Because it was a female only tournament to encourage females into playing games, not because of any advantage or disadvantages that the female or trans-woman had over each other.

Right - therefore obviating the argument that these exclusions are about "obvious physical differences" between the sexes. It is clearly more than about safety or fairness or physical matchup, I assert it is about a politically motivated moral panic, because competitors wish to disacknowledge the existence of trans women (ie. 'trans women are women'). Is there any evidence to show that the player being trans had any negative impact on the other players ability to compete fairly?

Men will generally have faster reactions and their physical strength and endurance helps as well, however, some exceptional women do compete against men because the main differentiator is the cars. They are majority dominated by males. The female category doesn't need to exist in this case but does to allow the competitive sport to exist for women (given the small % of a % of a % that can compete against males).

Generally, based on what?

This study for example reinforces what you're saying but it's quite limited, and seems to point out that there could be a bias in the research for who exercises more frequently and who is more sedentary (eg. am I woman who does Pokemon Go, or am I a crossfit bro)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456887/

Reaction times are critical in eSports, so if there was an RT difference I would expect gender division in eSports to account for that but it doesn't?

"not because of any advantage or disadvantages that the female or trans-woman had over each other" for an eSport but "faster reactions" for racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not openly here no... plenty of them supporting Helen Joyce who pretty much did call for that

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Is it sex or gender?

According to this the eu directive was in relation to gender.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_12_1430

Maybe Irish politicians were unaware of the difference in 2012 if Irish law refers to sex.

By the way getting car insurance is not considered a sport by most people.

No, because the category doesn't exist for competitive fairness.

If the category became inundated with trans-women, then a further female only subcategory may emerge.

Commercial realities would dictate what happens there, does the sponsor of the $100k prize earn more or less by allowing trans-women into the category or not. The viewers may prefer watching matches including trans-women or a female only category and that will determine where the sponsorship goes. American style politics and boycotts may get involved as well, but from a competitive standpoint, it doesn't make a difference who they are or what chromosomes they have or don't have.

I'm still unclear about how you assert reaction time differences in the sexes for racing, but not reaction time difference for the sexes for eSports? Have you seen an eSport tournament? Reaction time matters..

Plenty of gender critical women, actual women, have been threatened with rape and murder by baying men for daring to say things like men can’t get pregnant. Would you like to be associated with them here?

"Brussels, 20 December 2012 – Under new rules which enter force tomorrow, insurers in Europe will have to charge the same prices to women and men for the same insurance products without distinction on the grounds of sex. This means that insurance prices could rise or fall in the short term for certain categories of customers while they are likely to balance out over time. The change comes after the Court of Justice of the European Union ruled that different premiums for men and women purely on the grounds of sex were incompatible with the principle of unisex pricing included in EU gender equality legislation, and with the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights."

So, there's that. :)

I know you're spoiling for an argument, but I'm not arguing that. Reaction time differences are generally smaller and harder to measure (per the study you posted) and may disappear if a large enough study was performed (though, my opinion, as they tend to be based on muscle twitchiness, my guess would be that the average male has a faster reaction time but that the minimum achievable would be comparable between the genders as I don't believe anyone has found a difference in the speed in which the brain receives, processes and transmits signals to the various body parts).

But are you back to arguing that we should have competitive full contact sports between the genders?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

So now we are comparing formula 1 racing with the average Joe getting car insurance, ffs🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

The existence of cis women doesn't obviate the existence of trans women.

I think the intended meaning of sex there is gender as gender equality was the fundamental right being addressed.

Gender equality is a fundamental right in the European Union and the Court of Justice made clear that this also applies to insurance pricing," said Vice-President Reding, the EU's Justice Commissioner. "The insurance sector has had over a year to prepare the switch over to unisex pricing and the European Commission has helped the industry to adapt during this period. The Commission will monitor how the industry will implements these new rules in practice.

• Advertisement

Okay, your opinion, your guesses. Thank you for clearing up where the inconsistency appeared from.

But are you back to arguing that we should have competitive full contact sports between the genders?

That's a red herring: are you saying there's no way to schedule a competitive arena fight between a male and a female competitor, they cannot be matched by weight class, height, reach, bulk strength, etc? Cos we've all seen a woman beat the **** out of a man, so let's dispense with the illusion that can't ever happen, the only question is competitive and fair matchups then.

Advertisement