Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

The only issue here is that, so far, the airlines don't think the maths stack up. They don't care about the "eco-taliban" but the beancounting-taliban are obviously reporting that the costs outweigh the benefits. It would also require Dublin to re-open the channel for transfer passengers so that security doesn't have to be gone through twice (imagine breezing through Cork and then being dumped into the melee and chaos that is reportedly Dublin airport security ?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Dublin has no channel for transfer passengers? I thought they were handling transfers from the UK to the US and from the US to Europe?

I remember the local team in Cork saying that Dublin was not a route they were actively targeting. Presumably because it would come at the expense of a direct link to New York or Boston. Interestingly there is a huge visit New Jersey billboard at the airport roundabout now, could we see Newark at some stage over the next two years?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Well the beancounters had the aftermath of Covid which devestated the industry to contend with, so there's that.

I'm sure Kenny Jacobs wouldn't be discussing it if there wasn't a good chance of it happening though.

My one worry is that the Dublin flight could cannibalise LHR/AMS/CDG passengers and lose some international connectivity. We always have the M8 and rail line for Dublin trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

That would be my concern as well. It would be disappointing to just a bucket and spade airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I wouldnt be in favour of a cork dublin either. Gettinf on ok without it. Focus should be better europen connections all year round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, I just don't see it making much sense. The bus is like 3 hours so even with Cork being an easy airport to get through, you'll still likely be close to 2 hours between security/boarding and flight time. Price will likely be 3/4 times the price too unless it was subsidized (which with the environmental issue for such a short trip, I doubt it would be).

Getting better connectivity to the main European hubs and top city break locations would be way more beneficial, and not just for us to be relying on Ryanair there.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

I'm looking to book flights with Air France to CDG at the start of France. Looking just at midweek flights, it's around 100e to go from ORK-CDG, and 400e+ to go from CDG-ORK. Is it always that expensive??

Also, Veuling have flights from Cork to Barcelona this Sunday and next Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Very interesting about Cork Barcelona. Wonder what that's about?

It's actually routed through Orly, so ORK-ORY-BCN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

No, it's not always that expensive. If the flight is part-full already, the seat prices go up.

• Advertisement

It is also a last minute booking by me, so I guess that’s my fault. I just didn’t expect it to be €400 to fly from CDG to ORK!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

It might sound crazy, but have you checked how the prices are in business? I had the situation earlier on Lufthansa where the return lag was actually cheaper in a business class saver ticket than on economy.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yeah, it can be. I was caught out a couple of times last year with flights being cancelled at short notice due to strikes etc and having to book a replacement a day or two before. It's often bonkers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Also check to see if a CDG - AMS - Cork trip would be cheaper. (So long as you have hand luggage only)

Or if you REALLY want an adventure that you wouldn't get otherwise, Paris to London on Eurostar, then Circle Line to Liverpool Street and fly back from Stansted. (Or to avoid rail strikes that affect the Stansted Express, Elizabeth Line to Heathrow and fly to Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fjr13

Faith, I see your in luck. Aer Lingus are operating 2 weekly to Tenerife for the Winter Schedule. Hopefully more extra flights to come.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Banbha32

Hmm so Easyjet have applied for 13 slots at Dublin Airport (was on the Pat Kenny show today). Interesting move seeing they havent entered the Irish market in 19 years since being rsn out of Cork, Knock and Shannon in 2004 by Ryanair copying/flooding their routes.

Now that are confident to compete again i wonder could they also be eyeing up Cork! 🙃 especially given thay Aer Lingus have abandoned us as just an afterthought since pre covid giving us nothing.

I did hear a rumour on here that they had gotten a few slots at Cork. The thinking is (and it is just thinking) that this'll be a winter only ski route for now, and possibly something Ryanair won't be bothered to compete on.

If Easyjet started going to Gatwick for instance, Ryanair would fast up their flights there and lower the prices. Good in theory, but Ryanair would cancel them the instant Easyjet left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Wonder would TAP be interested with a Cork Lisbon service. TAP have said recently their dublin service is one of the most profitable routes esp with it as a hub for south america. Would be plenty south americans in the region and a popular weekend break

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

EasyJet should be safe enough starting one or two German routes, as it's somewhere Ryanair have never had any interest in out of Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The lack of German routes out of Cork is very frustrating. I remember at one stage trying to visit a family member in Berlin and having to fly through Kerry. Kerry ffs, able to fly to Berlin from Kerry, but not Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In fairness, there's a particular reason for this, have you ever seen the amount of Kerrygold in Germany? They love the stuff and it seems to have a big impact on them going to County Kerry. That Hahn route has been going for years, all year round too.

Yeah, Kerry - Hahn is just a bizarre route that seems to work.

I flew Cork - Amsterdam - Munich and back, thats the easiest way to do it thesedays since Aer Lingus can't be bothered. A bit expensive, but its fine.

Other options would be Cork - Amsterdam - Berlin for you, or Cork - Frankfurt with Lufthansa and a train to Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

So AerLingus are starting a route from Shannon to Paris CDG. Surely we will see more routes from Cork once the new neo is based here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fjr13

Just curious revelman.When did they announce basing a neo here?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

They didn’t announce it but if you do dummy bookings in Cork to LHR from mid November onwards, you find the plane suddenly has 32 seat rows (which I understand is NEO). Current LHR aircraft has 29/30.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That’s the A321neo at Shannon, which won’t be coming to Cork. It’s the A320neo they’ll be using from Cork as charges at LHR will be less with the new quieter neo.

The two A321neos have some downtime at Shannon between arriving from JFK/Boston and heading back in the afternoon (7/8 hours today for example). One of the A321neos will head to LHR and from next summer the other will head to CDG in that downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

It would appear based on the app ryanair are adding Barcelona El Prat twice weekly from 29 Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Think it's just temporary, for the rugby World Cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nope, it's announced, Sept to Jan and then Apr on.

Advertisement