Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

When you think about it, what a farce and forced idea the license fee actually is.

Prison if you don’t pay for a thing you don’t actually want or need only to fund the pockets of millionaires who try hide it all.

Are we a thick nation???

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

I think the can of worms is open.

I wouldn't be surprised that 2 or 3 big names have similar deals. RTE came out with a quick statement that no other staff person was involved.

Ok maybe it didn't come up in the audit. But audits don't reveal everything and payments could be concealed. I'd say there's some amount of stuff going on in the rte background.

At least when they look for a licence hike they won't have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Pitching Tubs as the puppet master here is beyond ridiculous. The real story is that this only surfaced just days after the RTE DG, in office since 2016, left the organisation. If Terry Prone on PT tonight was hinting that the buck stops at Tubs then that is absolutely ASTONISHING. Tubs is not exactly without connections in Dublin/RTE and so this could get really interesting :-)

Regarding those license fees, it seems like only yesterday that Rory Coveney, RTE’s Director of Strategy, was insisting on the need for a reformed public funding model. Ah such innocent times, ROFL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not sure why I’m being “summoned” to this thread. Not really sure what the big fuss being made around Ryan is about either.

His employer, RTÉ, have failed to disclose his correct remuneration. Don’t see how that’s “on him”. From the sounds of it, in his contract, he had a certain amount to come from a sponsor. This was guaranteed by RTÉ. Sponsor stops paying, RTÉ starts. Someone in accounts failed to add it to the published accounts and, I can only assume, it was missed in audit too.

Again, sounds like an RTÉ problem to me and a nothing burger for Ryan. Obviously, there’ll be a “din” kicked up by the oddballs, and malcontents, who have a, deranged, fascination with the guy but if they just focused on who’s really at fault here, RTÉ, they could cosy up with the adrenochrome anti-vaxxer lot and have at it.

And to all a goodnight.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

“Nothing burger”

We know how this always ends.

• Advertisement

To me a lot of RTE presenters had and have huge egos.

Gay Byrne was a very pompous, condescending little man. Think of him at the Rose of Tralee, Housewife of the year and Annie Murphy interview.

Pat Kenny was very proud, the toy show tickets episode, that illegal and bullying over the neighbours field.

Joe Duffy has a huge opinion of himself.

Ray D'Arcy and Brendan O'Connor seem fairly grounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,478 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ah it's all OK so?

So no need for the Prime Time piece tonight, or all the newspaper articles as nothing wrong was done?

If you're going to come on here with that nonsense, you may as well leave. Perhaps you are Tubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If it's a nothingburger then why won't Ryan be at work tomorrow?

Truth is he knew that the published figures for his renumeration was wrong and he didn't say squat.

I'd imagine more will come out on how Ryan negotiated his extra pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The sponsors paid NOTHING.

What they paid was discounted by RTE from their advertising so they paid nothing.

RTE paid.

Now why did RTE feel a need to hide this grubby deal from everyone? Because they promised everyone they would cut the salaries of top stars, but in reality were increasing the salary of at least one through an off the books scheme. Its as bad as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,288 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If it was in his contract with RTE. So it was clearly a part of his RTE remuneration.

But not in the amount publicly declared by RTE as such.

He had to be aware of this. The amount declared was false. Its a media story every year. RTE are culpable but Tubridy participated in this deception also. Together they lied to the public and other staff at RTE.

Tubridy has no credbility after this.

I am saying this and you know I am not speaking for the oddballs. Its not just oddballs who feel he and other RTE stars are overpaid and now see even those huge amounts were lies. Huge swathes of 'middle' Ireland will feel the same way.

If dont see that you are misreading the 'room'.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

At this stage I have my doubts the sponsor ever existed. You can't trust anything that comes out of RTE anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lios67

Not since Seamus Darby’s goal against Kerry in ‘82 have I felt as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes, it’s a shame Pat is on holidays this week as I’d love to hear how he’d walk the tightrope in discussing it. Bound to come up on the Friday panel discussion tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,989 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I don't think you are as clued in as you think you are

There seems to be a default from the most affluent, nothing to see here, move on. Comments like you could miss the weekly payments coming into your account.

There's a complete disconnect with those who are struggling financially, to pay mortgages, rear families, pay rent, buy food. They don't see how 345,000 euros over 6 years is a big deal. Where it's huge to 90% of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Oh dear god... Simon Coveney's brother has been "Strategic Advisor to the [RTE] Director-General" since 2011 despite his CV being completely inconsequential. They are not even attempting to hide the crony-ism.

Did Tubridy actually do the work and what was the nature of it to justify such huge sums?

If its revealed it was already part of what was coveted by his RTE contract it will look even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not sure Pat has any need to hold back on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Mckinley Some Circle

Remember seeing her getting a ridiculous amount think over 50 grand a year, for doing a job either a newsreader or a intern/trainee could do

Also she does a podcast for Dancing with "Stars" as a make up for Doireann Garrity (another waster) getting the co host job of the Show (another example of why do they need 2 hosts for that show)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Ah lads remember that pious RTE advert

TRUTH MATTERS

yeh, except when it’s your truth RTE. No credibility left, feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Everybody involved has acknowledged that Tubridy is totally innocent in this, which is probably a simple “nothing to see here” clerical error anyway.

If anyone thinks that Ryan and his agent were to scheming to glom RTE of the princely sum of 300,000, despite the damage that would actually do to his career if it was true (which it isn’t), then they need their heads examined. Tubridy is clearly a kind, good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Failed to add it the published accounts for 6 years?

The Sunday papers will be good. A serious amount of journalistic digging about to begin. All trying to beat one another to the punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

He’s generally diplomatic about RTE and certainly was when Ryan was leaving the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Nothing to see here? The chair of the board has said it's a gross breach of trust with the government, the Oireachtas, and the public.

They didn't scheme against RTE but did they agree with RTE to funnel money through a back channel account. The whole lot reeks. He absolutely knew that he was getting more than the published figures - sure RTE dropped two years of this payment in one go €150k - don't say that wasn't noticed.

Everybody involved in the deception? Yeah they were lying then and they are lying now.

It wasnt a clerical error. It required deliberate specific actions to move the money around this way.

If he is such a good man he can well afford to donate this princely sum he failed to notice to charity. Or maybe just to save his career.

No. Not one of the Prime Time panel acknowledged he was innocent.

No-one has acknowledged Tubridy is innocent or blameless in this. His efforts to feign ignorance were roundly criticised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Obviously it is an error that needs correcting but it’s far from the end of the world. For the likes of RTE and legitimate high earners that kind of money is a drop in the bucket, Ryan probably didn’t even notice it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement