Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Largely but not entirely. A lot of Irish people drink a fair bit, a lot of English people are quite polite, etc...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

“ I find a lot of them have the same friends since kindergarten “

they sound like Galway people

• Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The housing situation isn't that bad. It's probably better than the UK and definitely better than ireland. When I moved to Dusseldorf I rented a huge place in the city centre for the same price as my tiny apt in kildare.

It's getting harder to find places in city centres but if you're willing to have a short commute it gets a lot cheaper. There's a town called Mulheim near here. Very cheap to live in. Locals refer it it as a large town. It has 100k people there.

Check out the prices there. https://www.immobilienscout24.de/Suche/de/nordrhein-westfalen/muelheim-an-der-ruhr/wohnung-mieten

Edit to add: check out this place. It's small and needs furnishing but it can be rented for 365 a month inc heating. Can you imagine that price anywhere in Ireland?

https://www.immobilienscout24.de/expose/143405491?referrer=RESULT_LIST_LISTING&navigationServiceUrl=%2FSuche%2Fcontroller%2FexposeNavigation%2Fnavigate.go%3FsearchUrl%3D%2FSuche%2Fde%2Fnordrhein-westfalen%2Fmuelheim-an-der-ruhr%2Fwohnung-mit-einbaukueche-mieten%3FenteredFrom%253Dresult_list%26exposeId%3D143405491&navigationHasPrev=true&navigationHasNext=true&navigationBarType=RESULT_LIST&searchId=f16b249f-a1a2-3a2e-9aad-afbb6511b87f&searchType=district#/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was unclear. What I meant by "mess" was having to buy kitchens and floorboards for a rental. Nice to know that the situation is better than Ireland. I looked at rentals in Athlone the other day. There was one place for a reasonable 630E/month. The second place was over 1,000. Those were the cheapest.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Floorboards is really unusual. But I'd say about 20% of them come with kitchens. I was surprised when I saw all the photo's of kitchens without anything in them. I wasn't arsed buying a kitchen so i rented a place with one. And went to ikea for most of my furniture. Over the course of my first year it's still a lot cheaper than renting in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

This makes me sick of this country:

We need to start removing/refusing EU citizens who can't support themselves.

Workers here face 48.5% marginal tax rate on any income over a modest 40k.

Meanwhile, we are paying to support the lifestyle of imported criminals with 11 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Would make you wonder if there is any point working in this country when you see the **** that is going on.

Really? That is interesting. Some of those places look seriously nice!

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There is welfare fraud anywhere welfare exists. And he's been caught.

The fact is there is a job for everyone in this Country who wants one, which means taxes going out in jobseekers is at an all time low. So of course its worthwhile working, don't make the distinction over the odd fraudulent scumbag.

P.S. we can't remove EU citizens, except over criminal activity. I'm quite certain there are Irish citizens living in other EU states who aren't supporting themselves either. That's the whole point of the EU and the positives outweigh the negatives.

Staying in another EU state for over 90 days

If you want to remain in an EU, EEA state or Switzerland for more than 90 days, you may be asked to show that you are:

• In employment
    • Self-employed
    • A full time student with health insurance and money to support yourself
    • You have money to support yourself and health insurance (for you and your family) without state assistance

Qualifying family members of EU citizens, EEA nationals and Swiss citizens from these categories also have a right to live in another state for more than 90 days. See ‘Family members’ below for more information.

If you stay in another EU or EEA state or Switzerland for over 90 days and are not in any of the above categories, you could be given a Removal Order.

In Ireland, EU, EEA or Swiss citizens do not have to register their presence in the State with the authorities. This means that you will not have to show that you are in one of the above categories unless:

• Your spouse, partner or dependent family member is not from the EU, EEA or Switzerland and is applying for residence
    • You apply for a social assistance payment and must satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition
    • You apply for permanent residency for yourself, and/or your family (this is available after 5 years’ lawful residence)

You can read more about residence rights of EEA citizens.

• Advertisement

We could do more to reduce it.

A man in Cork claimed his father's pension and his own JSA for 33 years.

Also, there are close to 40,000 construction workers on the Live Register in a housing crisis.

But, and I realise this is a slippery slope argument, it is a slippery slope. Look at the stories of people in the UK who are refused universal credit. They're assessed by idiots who refuse them for the flimsiest of reasons.

I'd prefer to left a few people abuse the system rather than let genuine people in need suffer. Maybe there's a few little things we could do like expand the number of investigators but I'd hate to see us turn into the UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd prefer to left a few people abuse the system rather than let genuine people in need suffer.

There are undoubtedly things that can be done to strike a better balance, but this is what it boils down to. There will always be fraud particularly if we focus on the premise that it's better to not let those genuinely in need suffer as a starting point.

They're lovely. And this is after a price increase over the last 18 months.

Dusseldorf is the most expensive city in North Rhine Westphalia. People here complain about the rent. And they can't believe I'm paying over a grand a month. They think I'm crazy. But I have a nearly 100m2 apartment in the centre for the price of a 30m2 apartment in north kildare :)

BTW, I put in my postcode here and this is what popped up in the search. That's within 5km of Dusseldorf centre.

https://www.immobilienscout24.de/Suche/radius/wohnung-mit-einbaukueche-mieten?centerofsearchaddress=D%C3%BCsseldorf;40479;Arndtstra%C3%9Fe;;;Pempelfort&geocoordinates=51.23442;6.79311;5.0&enteredFrom=result_list

Wages here are about the same as in Ireland but it costs so much less to rent. I realise it's different markets. A town here has 100k people. A city in Ireland has that number. Because our population is smaller it's easier for small population fluctuations to have a bigger impact on housing. But with foresight and better planning we wouldn't face half the difficulties we face now. And if housing could be fixed, it would make Ireland far more habitable.

The strange thing here is that rents are cheaper than buying. Buying here is a lot more than Ireland. I think it's because there's loads of build to rent and they're financed over a longer period of time. They see renting as an investment that matures over a far longer period.

I realise there's a lot of vested interests in ireland though. Homeowners and landlords especially. If we were to have a surplus of housing, people would own property that's valued at less. Or returns on letting would be lower. But something needs to happen because rents are far too high in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Do small time landlords in Germany get taxed 52% on their rental income? That's an issue here for someone renting out one or two houses.

Nice!

You said incomes are about the same. Does that apply to income tax as well? The state I was looking at, Rhineland-Palatinate, is beside NRW if my geography is worth anything.

I wonder if part of the problem lies in the fact that Germany was once over 300 countries, some of which were extremely wealthy whereas Ireland has historically been a place people fled en masse.

H. H. Asquith

Employee PRSI is 4% here, and approx 20% in DE.

Now, in DE, the PRSI covers:

(1) Health insurance (unlike here, where health is mainly tax-financed)

(2) State Pension

(3) UN insurance

(4) Long-term care insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Or do they get taxed on their profit, like here in Ireland? Mortgage capital repayments aren't business expenses, that's just moving your own personal wealth around.

Income tax for me is very slightly higher. But in most jobs you get paid overtime. So my monthly pay is higher than my pay was in Ireland.

The size of Germany definitely counts to the difference as does the public transport system. Deutsche Bahn gets a lot of **** here. Trans delayed/late etc. But the network is extensive. I'm less than an hour from Dortmund, Essen, Cologne and Bonn. And that's on the slow regional trains. So people can live further out. Space is used better here too. In Ireland we always built out of cities with very low rise developments. Here every street has buildings that are 6 stories tall and you have to get outside the city to find anything like suburban Dublin. If Dublin was built like German cities it'd probably take up 1/4 of the size. And would have far better transport networks because the smaller size would make it more efficient.

Plus people in Germany have more options to move to. I work in tech. In Ireland I'm tied to Dublin and maybe cork. So if prices are too high in one place here, people can easilly move elsewhere.

That's not to say that there's no difficulties here. Berlin has received a lot of attention recently. But it's still nowhere near as bad as Ireland as a whole. Munich is supposed to be bad as well but at least people can move further away. It's harder to do that in ireland.

I think in Ireland we've gotten so used to higher rents over the last 20 years that the idea that someone could rent a good 30m2 apartment for under 500 a month is just an alien concept to us. It would be laughed at. And that's unfortunate because it's something we should be aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Any job board suggestions for German tech jobs? ideally with re-location

• Advertisement

Not tech but I keep an eye on de.indeed.com and linkedin. Not having any luck (life sciences) but YMMV.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Someone renting out one or two houses is taxed in exactly the same manner as somebody with high PAYE income, somebody working overtime, somebody working a 2nd job, somebody starting a business while in PAYE employment.

A small landlord in Ireland is not treated differently for being a landlord. Our taxation system is applied to their income (and itssctually their rental profits after deducting mortgage interest, letting agent fees, repairs and maintenance costs and more).

I was pissed off with my job in Ireland. I switched my linkedin profile to "available for opportunities" and there was an option as to where I wanted to work. One of the options was "European union" so I ticked it and about 48 hours later had a message from a German recruiter.

So I didn't even go looking. I'd agree with ancapailldorcha that linkedin is probably the best. Everything is on there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Both my wife and myself are leaving our jobs in a few weeks. We are going to take a couple of years off and enjoy free time, hobbies and travelling. We are going to get the dole (the hoops you have to jump through for this if you simply want to stop working for a while are another story) while we do this plus we have savings. The prospect of half your money every month going to tax just annoys me now at this point in my life. Id rather just have 40 or 50 hours back to myself rather than be a wage slave. My company pulling us back to office working helped me along the way too.

But last week I posted what we were doing somewhere and suddenly my inbox is full every day with recruiters both in Ireland and abroad looking for me to contact them. There are plenty of jobs out there if you are looking but tax is just too high in Ireland, especially for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"There are plenty of jobs out there if you are looking but tax is just too high in Ireland, especially for what you get."

You just described getting quite a bit; the ability to quit working yet continue to receive money without working, and free health care. That's a pretty good return on your taxes. Despite the taxes, it seems you earned enough to put away for emergencies at least, another good thing that the banks are secured.

I think you've got a very sweet gig planned, thanks to Ireland.

Our tax is about the same as every other western country.

But you're right about regards to what you get.

Every other european country has better services and planning.

In some way's we're not much different to other countries. In other countries they will complain about certain services lacking. Governments never do anything perfectly. However there's no country in europe like Ireland when it comes to accommodation shortage. It's our single biggest problem and it's entirely of our own making.

Well if you knew the hoops we had to jump throguh th get the dole as working people who just want a break you would laugh.

Also we saved hard for 30 years and had to jump through even more hoops to hide money so that we could get the dole. This after paying so much tax over the years. We both had good jobs all that time and its the jobs that looked after us not the tax system. The tax system took a lot of money from us for very little very little value from it for us. We worked in other countries for many years and thats where most of our savings and the money to buy a house in Ireland came from in the first place. Dubai was a great place to work if it wasnt so hot. We squirreled away some amount of savings there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It shouldn't be easy to get the dole, especially in the case of a voluntary lifestyle change like you're making. The fact your taxes paid into it is returning now, isn't it? Likewise, whatever your parent's generation paid in to supply free Uni education. And on, and on.

And your fellow Irish citizens will fund your lux lifestyle. Enjoy!

No. I will fund my lifestyle as well as that of many others who never worked a day in their lives. I paid enough tax over the years in Ireland to pay me the dole for the rest of my life as well as put a heap of kids through school. I intend to enjoy it. I am definitely a net contributor to revenue and I will get only a fraction of that back.

Over 50% tax on any overtime or extra work you do is just unfair to the people who get up in the morning tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

complains about system

uses same system for benefits :-D

completely get where you're coming from, but what you described is now an oxymoron...

can't grudge though, enjoy the time off !!

Advertisement