Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siro: Pure Telecom vs Sky

Options
  • 12-06-2023 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

My contract with Digiweb is up so looking to switch. I'm on 1gbps Siro, should I switch to Pure Telecom or Sky? They are both priced at €40pm for 12 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I had pure last year and sky this year. No difference between both service wise. Hardware wise the pure fritzbox is highly regarded but I’ve also had no issues with the sky router. I’ll probably revert between both each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Thanks! What's the switching process like? Who do I need to notify first so that I don't have any downtime during the switch?

Call pure or sky and get a signup date. Then call digiweb and tell them your planned switch date. I was told by pure to call them a few days before the switch date so they can flag it on the account and prevent it from being blocked for any reason. As far as I know digiweb use BT as backhaul same as pure and sky so there should be zero interruption. Your digiweb router will actually continue to work on pure or sky. When I switched to sky I noticed for the few days leading up to the switch my ISP was sky even though I was using the pure router

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭RobiePAX

I think Vodafone are €35/pm. So you could consider them for a better price. I also think Sky does online exclusive at €30/pm.

Yes sky look to be the cheapest at the moment. €30 for 12 months for 500MB.

Always check switcher.ie and onebigswitch.ie to find the best deals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

So, switched to Pure Telecom. The internet is down today.

Digiweb are telling me that the line just switched over to Pure Telecom today. Pure Telecom is telling me that I will have internet "either today or tomorrow". They are not sure when and they say there is nothing they can do about it. When I switched, Pure Telecom told me that there would be zero downtime during the switchover. I restarted the router and Siro box multiple times.

What a pain. I guess I'll have to use a hotspot for the day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Did it take long to get sorted? Thinking of switching from VM to either Pure or Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I’ve switched between a few of the Siro operators and never had any downtime when switching over. Never had Digiweb but I’ve been with Pure in the past and no downtime. Did it get sorted out for you?

VM use their own network so you’ll need to give them notice to cancel and sign up with Pure or Sky. Might be a bit of overlap with two services running while your notice runs out but it means you should be up and running before your VM cuts out if you time it right.

I moved from VM years ago when their prices kept going up and up. Really handy having Siro (or a Eir fibre connection) because the different companies are always doing offers for new customers so you can just switch every year. Been paying €30/€35 for years now moving between them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cheers. Ordered Sky yesterday and the hub arrived this morning, installation date is this Thursday. I'll cancel with VM once Sky is up and running, had recently paid the VM bill anyway so don't mind the overlap. Never had many issues with VM tbh except their pricing constantly creeping up - but that's my fault for not changing sooner (still on their 360 package!).

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

It definitely pays to shop around . I am with digiweb for several years paying lately €69 . I have always found their customer service excellent . Seeing some of the horror stories with other suppliers I was reluctant to move.

I noticed their latest add offering the same package to new contacts for €39.95. I rang them to query this and was told it was new customers only I hesitated and just said I will have to think things over. Immediately I was offered the package for €44.95 so I stayed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement