Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Biden closes gun control speech in USA with 'God save the Queen'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Maybe so but other recent media show him certain looking and acting unsteady and aged at times. God save the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

When he tripped over a sandbag? And he has been making verbal gaffes for long time now. Ireland was only a few months ago and he didn't look 'doddery' at all but in fine fettle for an 80 year old.

Something doesn't add up in the case as presented if it is based on assumption of permanent cognitive decline rather than say, a temporary illness or infection something impairing him.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭briany

There is no centre right for the Republican party anymore. In 2008, a concerted effort was put in motion to destroy this particular political bloc, and it came to fruition in 2016. It's a monster that the Republican party will be dealing with for a long time, and good enough for them for being so recklessly irresponsible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

An elderly relative of mine had dementia. I find the cheap exploitation of the condition that causes hardship and suffering to so many by the Trumpsters to be quite sick, frankly.

Exactly. Trump's like a drug. He gave them their little dopamine rushes when we all knew what he was and now they're eating the consequences. With any luck, the Republican party will die and be replaced by a sensible centrist outfit. All but impossible, I know.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

An elderly relative of mine had dementia as well but it doesn't give me a reason to be offended by some randomers online.

You posted the first reply on this thread and described Donald Trump as "literally a Nazi" which ignores all sorts of facts and would be seen by a lot of Jewish people as offensive in the extreme.

The problem you have when you deal in crass generalisations is that when you start crying foul and asserting how offended you are you're not starting from a position of any great respectability.

My point being that until we can get out of the habit of only being able to see things from our own perspective all we end up with is overly emotional, verbal (or more accurately written) diarrhea.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

When Trump lost my main fear was that the US presidency would cease being a source of constant comedy.

I must admit my fears were unfounded.

I hope both of them run again.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To be fair to him he cops to it rather quickly and in a rather fitting r/watchpeopledieinside kind of way. 😂

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭hometruths

That's being very fair to him indeed I'd say.

Whilst plenty will say nothing to see here, it's just a stammer, I reckon there are many ordinary Americans who would think 15 odd seconds is rather a long time for a US President to not recognise the US national anthem.

I feel very sorry for him, he's being slowly humiliated and deserves better. The longer those around him pretend nothing is wrong, the greater the humiliation will be.

"I reckon there are many ordinary Americans who would think 15 odd seconds is rather a long time for a US President to not recognise the US national anthem."

I reckon there are at least as many who won't think much ado of anything about it. Many ordinary americans barely have a 15 second attention span.

"I feel very sorry for him, he's being slowly humiliated and deserves better."

No President has ever been humiliated more. /s. Those around that guy pretend nothing is wrong there either, and it's very humiliating. All the same, it's not cognitive decline, and he will be mentally competent to stand trial. For the same reason I'm unclear why people try to turn every gaffe into a confirmation against Biden's mental competency when most of those same people arguing that otherwise would want Biden to stand trial for dubiously alleged 'crime family' corruption? And if either is competent to stand trial, they are mentally competent enough to carry out the article II powers and duties of the president (if so elected).

Already there's a tweet somewhere accusing POTUS of being 'handled' and asking 'who the puppet masters are' etc.; all droll stuff. Asking POTUS to comment on things no reasonable person would ever comment on in their position, nor should they, POTUS shouldn't exert influence on independent DOJ investigations.

I posted a full speech from biden via CSPAN the other night and encouraged users to timestamp where they 'spotted the mental decline' did you see any?

I have heard national anthems played at sports events and not recognised ours at first.

• Advertisement

Relax, it's just a personal opinion I hold.

If I was an American, I think expecting a POTUS to be able to recognise the USA national anthem immediately is not a high bar of expectation.

But I'm not, so it doesn't matter, we can agree to disagree.

But there are also about 10,000 bars Americans expect POTUS to meet at any given time. With people cross examining his every twitch and 'uhm,' accusing him of having the wrong look, not being 'presidential,' etc. he's always not living up to someone's expectations of him.

We can agree to disagree but can we agree to an Innocent Explanation standard? If there exists reasonable, innocent explanations, then culpability should not be assumed by sway of opinion. Is there or is there not a lot of **** going on here: a huge diplomatic visit with PM Modi, while there's a major Ukraine war escalation, while there's major developments in the Hunter and Trump cases (that he can't or shouldn't influence, but they clearly would have to be on his mind right), and whatever the **** else is hidden behind classification: chinese and russian spy threats, belarusian nuclear sabre rattling, and oh yeah, trying to make sure this Modi visit goes off well, hang on is that not the start spangled banner, ohhhh malarkyyyy.

But there are also about 10,000 bars Americans expect POTUS to meet at any given time. With people cross examining his every twitch and 'uhm,' accusing him of having the wrong look, not being 'presidential,' etc. he's always not living up to someone's expectations of him.

People expecting their president to be presidential is a bit of an occupational hazard to be fair. It goes with the job.

I'm not disputing he's got a lot on his plate, but that's another occupational hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I don’t think the fact that he didn’t recognise the anthem of the country he is president of is the issue. For someone described here as an “elder statesman”. Someone who served 37 years as a senator, 8 years as vice president and now president to “forget” the protocol of the visiting nation’s anthem being played first is further evidence of cognitive decline. Has he forgotten this basic protocol before, which even children are familiar with after watching a few international sports matches, or is this his first time forgetting?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

"the protocol of the visiting nation’s anthem being played first "

One of those 10,000 little bars that can be thrown into whatever proportion the beholder wants.

^ and that was 5 years ago, he's older now and wants 4 more years.

You can save the Trump obsession for someone who cares. I don’t want to see Trump either run or be elected.

Just curious if your skill in digging up YouTube clips has helped you find a previous occasion where Biden forget the anthem protocol or the anthem itself, or whether it is a new phenomenon?

It's not my argument that it is a "new phenomenon" as you'll recall, my argument is that this is a traditional phenomenon of the plebiscite doomcasting mental or health disfunction on the sitting president. In one example I quoted The West Wing, the pilot of which predated the candidacy of either person by a significant margin.

I take it you haven’t been able to find a clip of him forgetting the protocol or not recognising it before because I am sure if it existed you would post it as evidence of his mental “stability”.

Do you have a clip of him tying his shoes?

You have some very gilded goalposts there.

Have you read any of these “Top 10 Obama Gaffes”? Giving the Queen an iPad when she already had one or having a date night during a war is comparable to Biden’s gaffes? You doth protest too much.

• Advertisement

This whole thread is doth protest too much.

(BTW: outgoing Obama had to be trolling inaugural POTUS Trump there, right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Every single person makes at least one gaffe a day, and if you recorded those gaffes you'd have hours of endless entertainment, but it wouldn't prove anything.

People make gaffes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Of the two, who would you vote for? Or would you abstain?

The reason it comes up is that is the likely choice, with the alternate being Biden and desantis. DeSantis in his short career so far does not have a good record for public speaking and just had a giant gaffe when announcing his candidacy.

You also don't want politician to retire, so you are saying age doesn't matter which has you conceding on your one point (people get old).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

people make gaffes. people in cognitive decline make ridiculous mistakes that they wouldnt have made 20 years ago. Which category do you think the current president falls in?

He has been making gaffes for decades. He has a stammer. He is now giving high profile speeches as President, almost every speech he gives is recorded. Every event he attends recorded. This is far higher profile than VP or Senator. And far more recording going on.

Stuff that wouldn't have been mentioned 20 years ago now ends up on Youtube and Twitter to be used against him.

How come it doesnt happen to other country leaders as much then? You'd never hear Leo or Sunak say "God Bless the USA, man" at the end of a speech instead of their own signatories.

Already explained but you ignored it. He has a stammer. It causes unpredictable and 'weird' verbal stumbles and mannerisms.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. So now he has tourettes does he? And you're qualified to know this how?

Of course you aren't. You are just demonstrating your ignorance of these matters.

Did you see him in Ireland giving his speeches? At the State of the Union? Did you watch the entire gun control speech?

I already posted this on the thread, but here you go again:

NYU speech pathologist Eric S. Jackson explains, “Stuttering can be thought of as a neurobiological ‘glitch’ — broadly speaking, the neural processes that are involved in speech, at times, don’t function like those in non-stuttering speakers. The glitches manifest themselves as intermittent and somewhat unpredictable interruptions in speech, typically repetitions of syllables or audible/inaudible prolongations of sounds. The speaker knows precisely what he or she wants to say, but in that moment, their body temporarily prevents them from producing speech.”

Are Joe Biden’s gaffes related to a lifelong stuttering problem?

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/accessibility/471707-how-joe-bidens-gaffes-have-affected-his-campaign-and/amp/

The Democratic presidential candidate’s gaffes may be rooted in a little-understood disability.

On the day of his inauguration, US speech & language pathologists Dr. Phil Schneider and Uri Schneider reflect on President Joe Biden and the narrative of overcoming stammering...

If we watch Biden speaking during the presidential debates, we can observe moments when his voice and sound production stops suddenly. At those moments, his eyes squeeze shut as his effort to produce the awaited sound increases. At other moments, he seems to rapidly repeat a sound segment or quickly switch a word or rephrase his thought. Some of his interruptions appear related to delays in finding the right word and some to what he calls 'gaffes' (misspeaking)His speech fluency is most certainly challenged, as he continues to pursue his message.  

True Paradox: Joe Biden & Overcoming Stuttering

https://stamma.org/your-voice/true-paradox-joe-biden-overcoming-stuttering

On the day of his inauguration, US speech & language pathologists Dr. Phil Schneider and Uri Schneider reflect on President Joe Biden and the narrative of overcoming stammering.

• Advertisement

Firstly, I am ineligible to vote, not being an American citizen. In order to choose who I would hypothetically vote for, I would have to imagine what my political outlook and allegiances would be if I had lived my life in the US, instead of in Ireland. Not something I think that is very worthwhile or constructive. I could not imagine supporting Trump or Biden.

I am not sure I agree with your claim that DeSantis does not have a good record for public speaking.

The FT described him thus

DeSantis, 44, boasts Yale and Harvard degrees and what some describe as a photographic memory. The recovery effort appeared to be in solid hands as he rattled off statistics and organisational plans with a vigour and fluency that President Biden’s handlers can only dream of.”

You also claim I “don’t want politicians to retire”. This is untrue. I said I didn’t think politicians should be “forced” to retire at some arbitrary cut off age. However politicians retire all the time. Even young ones, such as ex New Zealand premier Jacinda Ardern.

Biden has had a good run at it, being a professional politician for over half a century. He should have the wisdom to know when it’s time to pass on the baton to the next generation.

Advertisement