Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Looking like rain.. From Met Eireann below. The further east the better.

'SATURDAY: Staying humid with occasional outbreaks of rain, most frequent in western parts later in the day. Most areas will be cloudy with the best of any sunshine in the east and northeast. Highest temperatures of 19 to 24 degrees in light to moderate southerly breezes.'

August 1997 was a very wet month in the southern half of the country, the Bank Hol saw about 4 inches of rain. (Met Eireann really got the movement of a low from Biscay wrong and had forecast the whole country staying dry and warm). It was a warm month and for some reason I mostly remember it for warm bursts of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

June rain so far

Sligo 65mm

Finner 45mm

Markree 38mm

They mustn't have got the explosive storm the other day that gave us over 20mm in an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Roasting in Galway today, real heat in the sun and the breeze is a lot more subdued than recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah there was hardly any breeze at Salthill this morning. Gorgeous swim, the water is unreal.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful day back in Kerry, 22C with a light breeze, perfect!

Cloud is building as expected, rainfall later but enjoying the sunshine and air going through the house for now.

Looking forward to the raspberries in a flan later ,picked from the garden this morning, combination of sun and rain giving the best crop ever 😀

Just 12.8mm in Mace Head (Average = 82mm)

Belmullet has 21.5mm (Average = 72mm)

Claremorris 22mm (Average 74mm)

Very dry month for Connacht and especially Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Farming commentary.

Soil moisture deficits (SMDs) currently range from 22 to 74mm across all soil types, with the driest soils in parts of Galway and the southeast.

Certainly is a novelty for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

25mm in Kildare after ducking and dodging the majority of the downpours over the past week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Stupid sea fog ruining the evening here. My least favourite weather.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

23.5C on the car here in Co. Kilkenny. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I love the long days personally. I would hate to be living in a country where it gets dark at 6 pm all year around. That said I do enjoy the long winter nights too. I like variety/ seasons. That's why I would find a place where you are guaranteed months of fine weather boring after a while. I think this is why good weather here puts most of us in a good mood and we seem to appreciate it all the more as we know it won't last.

Yep, not a bit surprised. The farmers need rain for winter fodder purposes. Some of the large fields near me that usually produce many bales of silage have long grass that is turning to hay. I would guess they expected rain this week and got very little.

Same. Imagine finishing work on a sunny day and then it gets dark an hour later.

Not only are people in good form now, they also look great! The Irish look well with a bit of non-fake tan!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

There is something magical and even spiritual about a midsummer twilight. The long days are just not for me though, and for some reason, they seem to go on longer than the longer nights of the winter, even though it all balances out over the course of the year.

Unlike Cluedo Monopoly, I don't find that summer puts people in better form at all. If anything, the excessive heat of summer makes people more irritable and short-tempered. And from my own observations at least, it seems that people are a lot more calm and mellow and generally more relaxed when the weather is dull, dry and calm than when it is sunny, glarish and hot.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Nights are drawing in........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Going by Met Eireann data, the June has had over 140% of its normal sunshine for the period up to the 21st. Certainly, this must be one of the sunniest Junes in living memory by my reckoning.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SmithJames84

Anyone know what's causing that really thick fog that's been smothering Dublin Bay since this afternoon? It's really unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Humid southeasterly winds, it's not unusual at all and happens during most days where the wind is southeasterly in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SmithJames84

Thanks. When did you last witness this here yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

29th April. I do not have a good picture of that so here's one from 16th April at Irishtown towards Poolbeg as it started to approach me from the bay.

Next time if you see a warm day and there's southeasterly winds forecast, don't be surprised to see an outbreak of sea fog at some point in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Vile morning in Cork, heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

It missed Sligo we had 1mm of rain for 20 minutes last night.

Heat is stretched to Sunday now. Maxes in the low 20s and mins in the High teens.

There would want to be max of 14c and low near 0c in the last week for it not to be our hottest June on record in Sligo so it's a given.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Normal service has resumed, a damp cloudy morning after some overnight rain.

Finally some prolonged rain in Galway. Well needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sorry but my experiences are absolutely different.

The weather was stunning yesterday. In the course of my work I met around 50 people yesterday. Every single one commented about how wonderful the weather was. Also everyone was in great form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'm not one of them as I love hot, dry weather but I love all types of weather. Its the volume of one type over the other that I dislike about our beautiful island.

Id have to agree with your point on a whole though. At the height of the heat on the East Coast there was multiple stabbings, heat definitely brings out the crazy in some people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the charts that show the next 2 weeks are looking like summer 2007 to 2012, we could be struggling to reach 15c by this time next week. The past 2 weeks have been mostly decent and warm but we still have almost 3/4s of the summer to go. could be middle of July before we get another few dry and settled days. we will need it by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Agree with your first sentence about solstice twilight......and the few weeks either side of it.

Can't agree at all with the rest though. Perhaps it's just coincidence that everyone I ever meet is fond of warm and settled weather. Certainly have not experienced it this summer anyway but then again, I don't recall any excessive heat so far this summer either but then again, we are only just over three weeks into summer. During settled spells, it's generally been around mid 20's with the odd day closer to the high 20's. So "warm" to "very warm" for most days. I don't believe we've hit the "hot" criteria either, which I believe is 30° according to Met Eireann......very rare for June in any case. I think Dundalk got to 29.9° recently and I think it was @sryanbruen who stated that, open to correction though.

But the long days are heaven for me and have been the main factor that has convinced me not to move to a warmer climate but if I do move to warmer climate when I retire, it would probably be to southern Spain, where the weather is often fine and the sun sets later than you would expect for its longitude, thanks to the timezone it's located.

Have been doing some night work of late and it's been so nice leaving the house at about 04:00 and it's already fairly bright. I'd swap a dark commute to the office for a bright one coming home though, ANY day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Why its p1ssing rain in Galway nearly every day normally- did you miss it ?

Advertisement