Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BE /Trailer licence, have you it to pull a trailer behind a jeep/van/car???

• 23-06-2023 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Following a bit of discussion on the cattle trailer thread,It would be interesting to see how many here have it

Its marked on the back of your licence, just under the car and caravan., Just thrown in there under the bus,🙈🙈

BE /Trailer licence, have you it to pull a trailer behind a jeep/van/car??? 129 votes

Yes
    54% 70 votes
    No
    45% 59 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

I voted no but I don't currently need it either as I'm not towing over 750Kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If the gross weight of the trailer, and vehicle pulling it, is less than 3500kg (and the vehicle is rated to tow it's load) a BE license is not required.

If the gross weight of the trailer, and vehicle pulling it, is over 3500kg a BE license is required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

That's correct, that's the weight of car/jeep +trailer+load less than 3500kg. It's a very tricky area for most to stay under. A typical jeep would eat a big chunk into that weight.

True but I'm guessing this poll is in relation to the cattle trailer pulling thread.

a Land Cruiser is around 3000KG by itself

a Rav4 is around 2000KG probably a little more, tow capacity of 1500KG, including weight of trailer it's probably OK for 1 cow.

Ironically, a Landcruiser towing an 8x6 with 2 cattle will require a BE license, an Avensis towing an 8x6 with 2 cattle likely won't.

• Advertisement

OP didn't give an option for the provisional BE license.

New land cruiser has a weight of approx 2700kg

And an 8x6 approx 600kg

Driver at 80kg

Various crap in car 20kg.

Now you are 3400kg, before a beast in on the ramp

Apologies omitted it by accident.

It's a start for someone to have it, but it still has the requirement of having a fully licenced Driver with the BE category on their licence.

I've had the provisional since the requirement came in but never booked the test. Renewed it a few times.

As much use as a chocolate teapot if stopped though

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

• Advertisement

I was similar but finally pulled the finger out and did the test last year

But how big are these cattle? 500KG X 2 + Trailer is likely over the tow capacity of an Avensis.

A quick Google puts the towing capacity of the avensis at 1500kg, a Berlingo is 1100kg

An ifor Williams 8*5 is 725kg.

Add two heavy cattle at 500kg a piece, you are now at 1725kg, overweight for all categories of licence.

On the Berlingo you could only pull one beast of 475kg to be legal

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Van Doozy

Lots of talk about weights of cattle pushing you over the limit etc, my understanding is that it doesn't matter if you fill the trailer with cattle or helium, it's the MAM of the trailer and its towing vehicle combined that matters, irrespective of how it is loaded.

The tendency is to fit as many stock into the trailer irrelevant of the weight of stock. Livestocks weight is changing daily and the only accurate way to know is to weight them prior to loading, this is not feasible in many situation. Also hauling livestock is very different to hauling a pallet. It's a live load at can move. You cant just throw a set of straps on a beast.

Whether livestock or helium, it's the weight that matters. And as above the weight is trickey to nail down. A lot of the issues are around larger trailers and filling them them, then saying I have a 4x4 and shut it can pull them. Awareness is needed greatly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

I think that's correct. So you'd need the license to pull an empty flatbed 3.5t trailer.

Have the license, easy to pass. No reason for anyone not to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭anthony500_1

I have a BE due to having a CE licence I've a 10x5'6 here, I've thought about changing up to a 12x6 so many times but then think about meeting the RSA with the 12x6 stuffed to the gills and overloaded by 800 or a 1000kgs...... That puts an end to my thinking.

The hitch on my trailer is rated only for 2750kgs(I think that's what it is from memory)so your caught there too if your unaware of that one, all hitch's should have the plated axle and hitch rate.

It's a mine field if something goes wrong as others have said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

For starters, to tow any trailer that's rated for more than 750 KGS gross, you need a trailer license, irrespective of whether you are towing it with a land cruiser or a small car

From NDLS, yes you can tow a trailer rated over 750KG. They went out of their way to mention not being suitable for livestock trailers though.

Realistically the combined MAM is going to exceed 3500KG

I have the artic but just after looking at my license and I don't have BE. Is the car/trailer license meant to be included if you have the artic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I have provisional BE licence

My 90 year old father who needs a wheelchair has the full BE licence....never sat a test in his life...

Great country....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I'm sure you are covered with just the CE, but you probably have to tick the BE box when renewing your license for it to appear.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Whether livestock or helium, it's the weight that matters. And as above the weight is trickey to nail down. A lot of the issues are around larger trailers and filling them them, then saying I have a 4x4 and shut it can pull them. Awareness is needed greatly

I don't disagree with your points from a safety perspective but this thread is about licencing. When when it comes to establishing whether a person is licenced to draw a particular class of trailer, the loading of the trailer is totally irrelevant. 

For starters, to tow any trailer that's rated for more than 750 KGS gross, you need a trailer license, irrespective of whether you are towing it with a land cruiser or a small car

This is not correct. You can tow a trailer with a MAM greater than 750kg with a B licence provided that the combined MAM of the trailer and the towing vehicle does not exceed 3500kg.

Have the license, easy to pass. No reason for anyone not to get it.

I agree.

I figured I might need one this summer so I got my BE provisional back in January. I am still waiting to be 'invited to apply for a test'! 🙄 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭anthony500_1

I only got the CE licence maybe 8yrs ago, at the time the instructor said make sure and tick the box for BE as well as CE when applying for the full licence as he said if you get a goose of a clerical officer in the licence issuing department they won't cop that your entitled to the BE also and won't include it. I don't know if you can go in and request they add the BE to your licence.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭hopeso

Do we actually tick the boxes ourselves any more now? I renewed my licence recently, and as far as I remember the lad at the centre put all the info into a computer while I was there.... As you have a truck licence, you'll be renewing it every five years, so you'll probably be in again before too long. Make sure it's done right then..... You can certainly go in in the meantime and add a category to you licence, but like everything else, it will cost you....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

Keep meaning to do the BE test but as far as I can see from comments most jeep and trailer combinations are overweight carrying a full load of cattle anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Don't think there's very many trailers plated for less than 2t but over 750kg. So pretty much everyone will need it if taking big trailer

But there can be, it is legal to have a trailer de-rated/re-plated by the manufacturer or another trailer manufacturer. Can't see it being practical for many livestock trailers or other very large trailers as it would also limit the weights if the trailer is pulled by a larger vehicle with a BE license too.

It would probably make far more sense to just do the test.

• Advertisement

Looking at the what the RSA have on the website, it just is the start of making livestock trailers easier to police on the BE front.

Advertisement