Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭wassie

How is it a disincentive if someone is still making a profit, albeit smaller profits?

Why stop with 80% taxation on rezoned land?, let’s put an 80% tax on new housing, or go the whole hog and place an 80% tax on any profit when you sell your home.

Because rezoned land is different in that the value of the land is increased by a simple decision of the state, which is made for the benefit of society.

Currently that benefit is afforded 100% to the land owner and society has to pay the cost to use that land constructively. Those costs are shared ultimately between the taxpayer and also passed through to the house buyer. Its not unreasonable that there should be a societal dividend in that decision of the state that would see the landowner make money, lower costs to the taxpayer in providing infrastructure and lower costs for the hosue buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Is this because you think labour shortages will cause continued wage pressure or some other factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

That's my thinking too. Presumably a healthy rate is between 5 & 7, and that's what ECB will aim for. Hindsight is 20/20 vision, but that's why I'm slightly regretting not locking in a low rate for longer. We'll see I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭OEP

There should be some kind of windfall tax on land that gets rezoned. The tax should be on the difference in value before and after rezoning. Now 80% sounds like a bit too much, but it should be reasonably high. Similar with increase in values due to new public infrastructure (Luas, metro etc.) being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭wassie

Well, we will see soon enough after the General Scheme Land Value Sharing and Urban Development Zones Bill 2022 progresses when Govt resumes after the summer recess.

Hopefully the final version doesnt get watered down too much. However I suspect there will be some intense lobbying by those with vested interests over the summer break.

The I.T. piece on it has been posted before, but provides a good explanation of the operation of such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

By the 80's the general criteria was 3X one salary and 1X the second salary. While in theory it might have seemed easier unemployment was 15-20% most of the time. Emigration was rampant about 15-20%of my school class emigrated, I had relations where in one family 4 sibling emigrated and never returned except on holidays.

Labour was cheap. Trades people were directly employed by builders and paid below the average industrial wage. Tradespeople often took jobs as postmen, P&T( Telecom Eireann) or similar general operatives in state bodies as pay and conditions were better because there was so many of them.

A house build in the eighties was F rated on present building regulations and bears little resemblance to those house at present. House were much more basic than at present

People need to under stand the difference. H&S on build sites was non existent, 29-30 building workers lost there life every year and many more would have been seriously injured.

There was very little building regulations, the first attempt was Homebond in 1978. A lot of houses were build by cash payments, this was especially rampant in house refurbishment. There would have been little or no certification compared to at present.

When I subcontracted my house in 1991 I got the house build in six months. I was getting foundation dug before the final grant of planning was granted. The engineer certifying for the bank payments made 4 visits to the house during the construction phase. He cost about 0.5% of the total house build cost ( nowadays it 2%+ for direct build). I did not take out any insurance ( virtually nobody did). The house design and planning ist 0.5% as well again this is about 2% now for direct build. There was no LA levies. I could get credit from a building supplier.

There was a dodge going on at the time( I was unaware of it until after was I disgusted) you get a builders to order your materials and you could pay him the cash for the material and he would not charge you vat.

Trades people in general were paid cash it was up to them to decide if they wanted to declare it.

The whole upside of this was it was harder for builders to charge astronomical margins on houses and probably with the exception of Dublin it kept a lid on house building costs

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

My parents where both working full time straight after their leaving certs. No college, so 4 years extra working.

Nobody went to Oz or the US for a year travelling etc. You either emigrated or stayed put.

Things are different nowadays for many different reasons and those age profiles are not purely down to the difference in prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

People always want to take what others have for themselves.

When did Ireland become a place where the national pastime is to figure out how we can take tax people more.

It seems every time anyone is doing well there are calls for a tax from many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

How is having your land rezoned to be considered "doing well"?

People benefiting from ag land rezoned as commercial or residential are benefitting due to actions of the state directly. They have not done anything themselves with the land to make it more valuable, the zoning committee have.

Why should a farmer be rewarded with a doubling or tripling of his land value simply because he owns land in the right place?

Also its not about reclaiming money for the state, its about reducing land prices in general. Land in ireland is massively overvalued compared to mainland Europe,and this feeds into property prices. Rezoning taxes like these will stop land hoarding, speculation and outrageous prices being charged for development land, since any profits would be massively taxed. End result is cheaper land to build on and cheaper houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If the value of your home benefits from a government decision, say to build a metro line, or a school nearby, would you agree to an 80% tax on the profit from its sale? Of course not.

Look, saying a tax of 80% should apply to rezoned land is bone headed. All that will happen is the owners will sit on their land rather than give away 80% of its value. If you want to incentivise development/sales, you make it more appealing to sell/develop it, not less so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

It's not too much to ask that where land is rezoned that the cost of basic services infrastructure be taken from the jump in value of that land.

Farming and property development are amongst the most subsidised sectors in the country. The more you give the more they come back for more.

Subsidies are not working and the carrot needs to be complimented with some stick to force efficient use of resources

When those in receipt of subsidies are breaking the backs of taxpayers paying for those subsidies, action needs to be taken

Home value tax is unworkable because its impossible to quantify the impact of something like that.

The impact of an undeveloped piece of land being rezoned is very measurable. It is very easy to assess a plot of agricultural land of a given size, and deduce what it would sell for were it not rezoned, then tax the difference.

If your land is rezoned, why would you sit on it? If you are a land speculator (many are) your plans of making a mint by hoarding the land until rezoning have been dashed, now you might aswell sell as holding is not worth it anymore. There is nothing more to earn from waiting so land will get turned over quicker.

Eventually land speculators will mostly be flushed out of the market. Which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭OEP

You couple that with a vacant land tax so it's penal just to sit on the land. 80% is too much be I agree with the principle of the tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

I assume in this scenario (proposal is linked to Kenny report), the tax is payable immediately, not when the land is sold? So ‘sitting on it’ won’t be possible, it’ll have to be sold to cover the tax bill.

It’s essentially a slightly more generous version of a CPO. Land identified to be in the public interest for development, must be developed. Instead of just taking it at agri value, the landowner is allowed to keep 20% of the profit generated.

Seems fair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Have you missed the point yet again that the tax needs to be paid when land gets rezoned regardless whether the landowner decides to sell

Well. Because he owns the land and if you want to buy it off him then pay him what its worth. No need for a tax. The buyer still pays the same money for the site.

The tax money is used for infrastructure (roads water etc) for the new development reducing the cost of new builds

The market decides what the land is worth.

Currently we have a situation where greenfield development land is not sold to someone who would develop it because owner wants to sit and hold for a sky high offer.

This tax means its not nearly as profitable to sit on land for years waiting for it to appreciate in value, because any profit would be taxed very punitively. So instead owner may just sell up when they can and take what they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It could well be the jaw of unintended conquences. If the tax is 80% it is definitely an opening for avoidance. It will be tempting for investors that can afford it to buy at near agri value and put money under the table to the owner.

The vacancy tax will be determined off this so it will be minimised until the investor want to sell on because increased value. It will be very hard to collect such a tax.

Add to that will it survive a constitutional challenge in all case. Take a commercial fulltime farmer where a section of his farm is rezoned and it effects the viability of his farm it removes his right to earning a living

Slava Ukrainii

Wait til they rezone a bedroom of your house and then force you to sell it with an 80% tax on it. :)

Gotta love this taking stuff off people and even if they dont want to sell it forcing them to sell.

• Advertisement

This has got to be one of the most outlandish tangents of this vast thread. It would be galacticly stupid if any politician to even broach the subject of charging an 80% value tax on farmers, just because the council rezoned their land.

Don’t think a constitutional challenge would stand up as there is already a precedent of farm land being taken over for the likes of motorways etc. and no-one is forcing the landowner to sell.

As for under an under the counter payment it would be difficult to do in this day and age without a paper trail…it’s not 10k in cash. Both the farmer and developer risk fraud, money laundering and tax evasion which should be treated the same as robbing a bank with jail time as in most countries but we all know in Ireland it would be a slap on the wrist because it would leave the door open for politicians to be prosecuted. But that’s going off topic

Is it that outlandish? The tax is due to come into force fairly soon, albeit the overall rate of tax is planned to be 50% instead of 80%.

Firstly, and this one is fairly obvious, there is a big difference between 50% and 80%. Secondly, @Timing belt thinks the tax needs to be paid when the land gets rezoned, regardless of whether the landowner decides to sell, no politician, and I mean not one, is going to tell a farmer who has no intention of selling land for development, who may have owned and farmed that land for a generation, that they are going to have to pay 80% of the value of the zoned land in tax just because the council decided it can be used for residential or commercial development.

This is knucklehead stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Do you think it reasnoble for the state to claw back some of the increased value from rezoning?

Is it the 80% rate that you are opposed to, would kind of agree with you there as the law of unintended consequences would apply. Having a farm other business broken up would be incredibly stressful

Fair enough! I think if it was well explained to the public, it would be almost universally supported except for a tiny number large land owners.

Why should we make multi multi millionaires out of random land owners using tax payer money (to fund the services which drive the value) and first time buyers (who have to pay the land costs)? All for doing precisely zilch.

Looks like we’ll soon have a 57% marginal income tax rate for getting up and working hard. So 80% tax on doing nothing at all seems generous to me.

You cannot financially cripple a farmer just because he/she wants to farm the family land, based solely on public servants changing the zoning on their farm.

You’re not financially crippling them….if the land is needed for housing it gets rezoned it’s no different to farmland being CPO’d for a motorway. Farmer is still walking away with substantially more than the agricultural value of the land. As for politicians if they don’t take action to solve the housing crisis that impacts large numbers of people over a few landowners then they won’t be in power come the next election and they know it.

CPO’s involve the State paying market value (plus other amounts which can be claimed) to the owner, this is the polar opposite to your proposal that an 80% tax be paid by the owner on the value of the land when the council zones it. If the land was CPO’d after zoning, the costs to the State would rise as the market value rises.

Last year 170k people were directly employed in agriculture, when you take into consideration family members and those who indirectly benefit from the sector, the fact that many politicians and councillors have farming background, and one of the strongest lobby groups in the State, the prospect of legislation being introduced that would heap and enormous tax burden on a farmer, who wants to continue farming on land owned for generations, that has been zoned seems so outlandish, it’s actually laughable. Timing belt I usually agree with most of what you post, but an 80% value tax on land to be paid by farmers, even if they have no intention of selling/profiting from development, seems a huge departure from your usual good sense.

• Advertisement

You cannot levy a tax on the increase in value of land if the increase is not actually realised - ie. the land hasnt been sold yet.

I think that is the sticking point here - increase in land value after rezoning is only realised once sold. The profit should absolutely be highly taxed however.

This leads to much more efficient land use like all over Europe.

Advertisement