Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Ah we shouldn’t ask for evidence thereof, the poster has apparently backed up his post on this hundreds of times before…I’ve never seen it but best not ask any difficult questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Your posts are deliberately clueless. Who said scammers are a majority another clueless comment . The government should employ you as an immigration spokesman . How is it going supporting the refugees done anything yet ??

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/ireland-over-40-of-asylum-seekers-arrived-at-dublin-airport-without-any-travel-documents/#:~:text=A%20total%20of%2040%20per,according%20to%20local%20media%20reports.

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yeah but, firstly, Japan has certain “advantages” geographically if deterring migration and refugees is a priority. Their only near neighbours are tightly-controlled China and even more tightly controlled North Korea — and of course prosperous South Korea and the furthest eastern reaches of a Russia. It is simply a really hard place to get to for those without much means. Squeeze Japan into the Mediterranean — where Europe, Africa and Asia all meet — and that would really tell the story of the robustness of their policies on refugees and migrants. It’s easy to point to the brilliance of a system which doesn’t actually have to confront the same reality — it’s easy to say that they don’t have a sense of “misplaced charity” when they only have proximity to major powers, which are either highly controlled or prosperous. The outbreak of a major mechanised war on the Korean Peninsula or perhaps some conflict arising from Chinese expansionism regarding Taiwan might well change that some day — if refugees can even escape that is.

This is not to mention the fact that Japan’s social and economic model, which has relied on what Europeans would likely consider an unhealthy working culture (“karoshi” as the Japanese now call it — “death by work”), is now facing the pressure of demographic changes. Their model relies on supreme productivity of its native citizens, but this has come at the price of a declining population and stagnant wages versus the cost of raising children. This isn’t to dismiss outright the many achievements of the Japanese model, but it’s a hard one to just selectively emulate for Europe and there are pretty significant contextual differences.

As for calling Covid an overspent excuse — well, this just isn’t realistic. To disregard as mere excuses the long lasting warps and inflexions caused by the most significant global shutdown in history, whether they are economic / social / political, is disregarding reality. It has had a clear impact on refugee movement and Ireland is not the only country experiencing that.

• Advertisement

How is it that Finland can adopt a stricter asylum system but we are told in Ireland there are international obligations ?? When other countries in Europe get stricter numbers coming here will increase .

https://www.helsinkitimes.fi/finland/finland-news/politics/23772-finland-to-adopt-stricter-rules-for-coming-staying-and-being-outlines-new-interior-minister.html

Then dont post a reply . You cannot even backup what you post and refute factual links !! You obviously have a problem with facts when they don't suit .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's difficult to decipher how much of this is posturing or hot air. Ms Rantanen is a member of the right wing populist / far right Finns Party who are part of a four way coalition but she is indeed the interior minister. She doesn't seem to have said anything that would breach international refugee law anyway: countries are allowed to return failed asylum seekers to their country of origin and the reduced 'quota' she refers to is not the numbers of refugees arriving at the airports and ports, but those who are formally brought to Finland from existing refugee camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

"What you have missed is that half of the posters cheering this on are not Irish or not living in Ireland and many just disappear never to be seen again."

True, or that there may be representatives or allies of Immigration NGOs. These same NGOs have a definite financial reason to keep the crisis going, after all NGO's cost you and me €5 billion a year. Now some of them do work in areas like health etc that the state has abdicated responsibility for, but there is a lot of duplication and hiving off taxpayers money. Some might be uncharitable and say grifters gotta grift, but I couldn't possibly comment. Or that others on here could be represenatives of foreign funds who buy up property here and make vast sums from housing asylum seekers. In the 6 months from September 2022 to February of this year the government paid out €9.6 million a month. That was for non Ukrainian asylum seekers only.

This information was printed in last weeks Sunday Times by John Mooney. It's behind a paywall so according to Boards rules I can't provide a link to it. If you really want to see everything that's in it Google Sunday Times "Landlords earn €10 million a month on asylum seekers." You'll see that the former ESB building in East Wall costs taxpayers €1.3 million a month. There is a lot of money to be made, and you'll always find those that will try and get their hands on it.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,107 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Lucas the famous RTE Brazilian poster boy, whose social media showed he had travelled on many holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

• Registered Users Posts: 86,107 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

😅😅😅😅

The lies again about 5bn to NGOs.

The 5 billion includes thousands of schools, thousands of disability day centres, thousands of disability residential centres, many community centre, many sports clubs.....

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So in order to give some weight to your " light on facts and substance" reply,

a) you call me by a diminution of my name ...why ? Is that to demean me because my handle implies I am female and therefore you think my reply is not correct or that you don't regard it ?

Bit misogynistic don't you think?

b) Maybe get your facts right before addressing me again .

You said in the previous post that I replied to that people flying in from other European cities were 100% fake and lying through their teeth ,after a few of us had posted links about the fact that traffickers smuggling migrants often take their passports once they have boarded planes.

I countered in my post that there are smugglers based in cities all over Europe which is why Europol are involved and posted the link describing this activity . Which is a fairly widespread and well known investigation by Europol,whose absolutely nothing to do with border control .

So you then come back with an other ignorant comment calling me 'girlie '. And obviously you haven't understood what I posted .because you are talking about border control ...Europol ....clue is in the name ?? ..no more to be said really .

Edited to reflect posters's comment has been deleted .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭brickster69

Sounds like a huge buildup of immigrants in Libya heading to Italy, up to 500k by some accounts

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

They will fine 20k any migrants that are not accepted under the quota agreement . I wonder has Finland signed up to this like Ireland did ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

"The lies again about 5bn to NGOs."

Actually, that figure is from a Sunday Business Post Article by Collette Sexton from April 23rd 2017 - look up her name and this headline: "More than half of NGOs' €10.5 Billion funding comes from the state", I can't provide a link to a paywalled article as it's against Boards rules. It quotes a report from Benefacts, the body that was created to promote transparency of NGOs. That figure is now out of date.

The Benefacts report of 2021 states that government funding was €6.2 Billion in state funding. https://bfphil.madeincontext.com/insights/reports/2021/

I realise for some that facts and transparency are difficult so they seek to obfuscate and hide them wherever possible. Perhaps this is one reason why funding for Benefacts was withdrawn in 2022 and it was forced to close down. Unfortunately for some, their reports were made public and are still available to view.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The fine Ireland got is from a different thing that was voluntary.

The 20k is from the migrant pact which isn't voluntary and it's not final yet as it and the amendments the council agreed to that all the NGOs and a few countries opposed (Ireland, Luxembourg, Germany, Portugal) hasn't been been passed through the parliament. If it doesn't pass that then next year it's starting again with a likely very different group of EU MEPs.

The council amendments mean that it's not the EU who decided who's a refugee or where's a safe country, it isn't a choice between migrant/20k there's other means to meet the obligation.

But if it does pass we all know it's the clowns in government or their replacements will pick whatever option costs us the most or generally **** us over.

• Advertisement

We have gone through this before on the site

The 5 billion includes

Sectors

1  Arts, culture, media

heritage and visitor attractions

media,

film

museums and libraries

2  Recreation, sports

sports organisations

recreational clubs,

societies

agricultural fairs

3  Education, research

primary education

secondary education

education support

research

adult and continuing education

pre-primary education

third-level education

vocational and technical education

4  Healthhealth services and health promotion

mental health services

hospitals

addiction support

residential care centres

hospices

residential mental health services

5  Social services

pre-school childcare

family support services

services for people with disabilities

services for older people

youth services

services for Travellers and ethnic minorities

emergency relief services

homelessness services

6  Local development, housing

local development

job creation

social housing

social enterprise

sheltered housing

7  Environment

group water schemes

animal welfare

environmental enhancement

environmental sustainability

8  Advocacy, law, politics

advocacy

civil and human rights

legal services

politics

9  Philanthropy, voluntarism

fundraising

philanthropy

voluntarism

10  International

international development

international affiliation

11  Religion

religious associations

places of worship

dioceses,

parishes

12  Professional, vocational

professional or sector representative bodies

trade unions,

employer organisations

chambers of commerce

Post edited by Annasopra on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Can we sticky that list? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Government ministers are concerned about high hotel prices affecting Ireland's reputation.

Laughable really , they have rented every single room they can get their hands on (over 50% in some counties) n the remaining hotels left have no competition. Who could a guessed what'd happen!

They don't just work in health

They work in schools, hospitals, disability services, sports clubs, community centres, libraries, pre schools, universities, research, housing, churches, animal shelters, domestic violence shelters, homeless services, youth services, family support services, museums, film making, trade unions,wate schemes, social housing .......

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

Hi all, been following this board for a long time and never decided to post till now.

I live in Mayo here are some numbers of new arrivals and I am talking about the numbers of asylum seekers and refugees already here.

200 all male are being put up in Ballina. Already Ballina has loads of asylum seekers and Ukrainian refugees. There is not a hotel free in most parts of the west.

100 going into Killala. Again all men. Killala has a population of about 500 people. In April there were 50 asylum seekers put there, that's a 10 percent population increase add 100 on top of that, that's 30 percent population increase and that is not including Ukrainian refugees.

Ballisodare, a tiny place in Sligo. 140 male asylum seekers put up. That's a 10 percent increase in population and another 140 are being talked about being moved in. Again this does not include Ukrainians.

In Sligo town the student accomodation is not being given to the students but being used to house up to 400, yet again all male asylum seekers. I will state again this doesn't include already the number of Ukrainians and asylum seekers being already housed in Sligo.

Seafield is being renovated in Easkey to house more asylum seekers.

So basically every tiny place in Ireland is having it's population increased by sometimes up to 30 percent and it's not like that's it, this shall continue.

Anyone who thinks this is fine is out of their mind.

It's not €5 billion, that is an outdated figure from 2017. Currently it's €6.2 billion as mentioned in the Benefacts 2021 report. I suppose I should thank you because I wouldn't have searched for the latest figures if it wasn't for your reply.

Like I said some do work in areas that the state should be doing instead. But there is a lot of duplication and each NGO is holding it's hand out for taxpayers money. like I said currently it's €6.2 billion and rising. A quick google search on some of the immigration and associated NGOs shows the likes of The Immigrant Council of Ireland, The Irish Refugee Council, NASC Ireland Migrant and Refugee Rights, Movement of Asylum Seekers in Ireland, Doras, Akidwa, INAR Ireland, down to local level organisations like East Wall Here For All, which only appeared on the scene after the East Wall protests started. All seeking taxpayers money. Now I am not going to derail the thread by circular arguments about NGOs, so that's the last I will say about them now. I am demonstrating that there is a lot of duplication and seemingly endless amounts of taxpayers money available.

Anyway, have a good weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

An audit of any one of these organisations would soften the cough of a lot of the regular "contributors" of this thread

All it needs is the political will from the likes of the public accounts committee and things would change rapidly.

The root would all lead back to Rodric o'Gormans department and will no doubt expose some of the gombeens that are benefitting from this charade too.

Looking at the house of cards over in RTE at the moment and things move quickly once you scratch the surface.

Follow the money....

Post edited by _Puma_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There is plenty more duplication then NGOs dealing with immigrants. Just look at any of the charities that are helping need people. There's endless amounts of duplication. If the government did its job correctly, most of these organisations wouldn't need to exist. Unfortunately they are needed.

I think the government might have even stopped producing the Benefacts Report for some reason....

• Advertisement

Yes... Penny Dinners , Meals -on Wheels just to mention a couple of freeloaders;)

Advertisement