Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We don't give Ukraine everything it needs, but we ask to fight so that we don't fight - billionaire and philanthropist Howard Buffett.

"We've been helpful, but we've been slow. At times we've been indecisive. We're not providing the Ukrainians with everything they need to win this war. And what's worse, we're asking Ukraine to fight this war so that we don't fight it ourselves. This policy leads to the death of people every day.

To those concerned about the escalation of the war, I simply ask: are you paying attention to how the geopolitical landscape is changing and has already changed?

It's not good for us. It is not for the benefit of anyone sitting in this room.

Do you have the slightest idea of ​​what our world will look like if we allow Ukraine to lose?" Buffett said at a conference on the recovery of Ukraine in London.

Twitter links broken? - twitter.com/TreasChest/status/1672059276112666627

Precision stand off weapons are the thing Ukraine needs most now. All this stuff of needing to storm trenches is macho bull$hit that no other country would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I read that the Australians have stopped the Russians building a new embassy. A 'diplomat' has now squatted on the site and stated he won't leave!

Three Western officials told CNN that Ukraine's counter-offensive is not meeting expectations. Russia showing more competence than expected.

The counteroffensive is “not meeting expectations on any front,” one of the officials said.

Russian lines of defense have been proving well-fortified, making it difficult for Ukrainian forces to breach them. In addition, Russian forces have had success bogging down Ukrainian armor with missile attacks and mines and have been deploying air power more effectively.

Russian forces “competent” in their defense, one of the Western officials said.

It's not looking good for Ukraine, they spent the last year telling us how Russia was 'so stupid' and fighting with shovels, taking parts out of washing machines. I never understood this thing of saying your enemy is useless, drunk, incompetent... because now it doesn't say much about Ukraine if they can't push some ill-equipped drunks out of their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Not one of those officials named, Daly and Wallace are Western Officials by most arbitrary metrics.

CNN is trash, just clickbait junk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Unfortunately percision standoff weapons are great for hitting high value targets behind the lines ,but you are still left with hundreds of thousands of Russian soldiers who need to to removed from Ukrainan soil and the only way to do that is literally to storm the trenches it's not macho, it's the only way to do the job ,wars are won on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Like the ones Ukraine already have? HIMARS, stormshadow, Excalibur etc..

The trenches don't move, I'm sure it's well within Ukraine's capabilities to gain fire control on them. Save the precision weapons when you want to retake a town and don't want collateral damage.

Cluster shells would be ideal for the trenches, but so far it seems only Turkey supply them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭riddles

Even a harmless game of paintball shows how much easier it is to get commitment to defend rather than attack. The Russian know they have machine guns on their back if the they retreat for additional motivation. That being said if someone had said to Putin after a year in combat in the Ukraine Russia would be in a defensive position trying to hold onto a sliver of the country some of which they had before the war started, he’d have shot them for treason.

The Russians have gained a lot of experience over the past year and are not as 'stupid' as they were. Russia lost 44 pieces of artillery in the last 24 hours and are losing about 150 pieces per week. 70 tanks and 140 APVs per week along with 4000 troops. I can see this war getting to the point where one or both sides will lose so much kit that serious war will not be possible by end of summer. Then back to WW1 for the winter.

Alternatively, the Russians may cave in over the next 2 or 3 months.

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Ukraine's cheap Punisher drone:

The Ukrainian military has been using “Punisher” drones that can target fuel storage, ammunition supplies and electronic warfare stations up to 30 miles behind enemy lines. Eugene Bulatsev, an engineer with the Ukrainian designer UADynamics, said that the electric drones were “game-changing” and had completed up to 60 “successful” missions since the invasion began. Speaking from Kyiv, where he is about to go and join the fight, he told The Times: “This is the cheapest and easiest way to deliver a punch from a long distance, without risking civilian lives.

He said the drone, which can carry 3kg of explosives, needs the co-ordinates of its target and then carries out its mission automatically. Onboard cameras record the impact of the blast to check the accuracy of the mission. A number of them are in use in different units in the Ukrainian military, including in the elite Special Operations forces. How many, and where they are deployed, is classified, he said.

The unmanned aircraft, which have a 7.5ft wingspan, can loiter for hours 1,300ft above ground. A smaller reconnaissance drone called a Spectre flies alongside to identify the targets and then the Punisher is flown in to strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I read this too. Pure junk. Who are the officials? What are their credentials on military matters? What were the expectations for the counter offensive exactly? None of this is stated. However half way through the article we also get:

"The officials cautioned that the counteroffensive is still in its early stages – and that the US and its allies “remain optimistic” Ukrainian forces will be able to make territorial gains over time."

It's an absolute nothing burger of an article that doesn't say anything at all by anyone at all. It's the same level of tripe that said Russians were all fighting with shovels instead of rifles. When you scratch the surface even a little you find completely reasonable logical reasons for what's happening and it rarely matches the click grabbing titles.

Most of the claims of Ukrainan successes and lack of successs come from unnamed sources the majority of reported losses of both sides equipment comes from unnamed sources and social media accounts, we generally don't see anything that backs up visually or other means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭rogber

Yet another response that basically translates as "this doesn't fit the narrative I want, therefore it must be bullsh*t".

It's CNN running the article, not Pravda. I suspect they have reliable sources, and it's striking the same note of caution to be found in recent BBC and guardian articles. Not saying all is doom and gloom, but certainly not the "Russian defences will collapse in 2 weeks and Crimea is Ukrainian again by July " nonsense that flooded this place until recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭macraignil

Prediction from social media in relation to the war in Ukraine, where information coming from the battlefield is limited at best, aren't worth the paper they're not printed on.

It appears Ukraine has got the moskovyte defensive resources active and is reported to be taking them out at an accelerated rate. As posted above 44 pieces of the moskovyte artillery were reported destroyed in the last 24 hours as well as lots of other equipment putin's forces need to hold on to the piece of Ukraine they occupy. Last nights missile attacks from putin on Ukraine are reported to have had 13 out of 13 missiles intercepted. It's still a very difficult situation for Ukraine but I think I can see from what is being reported signs of improvements for them and hope it continues to improve and would not write off the chances of a collapse from putin's forces in the not so distant future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,021 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

One has to remember.

At the start of Desert Storm, the US-led coalition led 100,000 sorties over 42 days, which destroyed large parts of the Iraqi army in Kuwait and elsewhere.

This was the first two phases of the war. Phase 3 was the land invasion.

What the West is saying to Ukraine, is to fight a NATO type of war, with NATO weapons without Air superiority. That is a challenging thing.

Still probing the Russian defensive lines. I'd guess the anonymous western officials (mentioned above) expected Ukraine to launch an all out counteroffensive right off the bat.

Citing the deputy defense minister of Ukraine. Try focus on what the first tweet says and then it explains why we haven't seen Strykers, Marders, CV-90’s (as mentioned in the second tweet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd say the dam explosion, Russian airforce back with a bang and Russian defenses holding well, has probably caused the UAF to do a rethink.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement

Because not all of the equipment has been ready or delivered,said it weeks ago

Who said it weeks ago? I'm sure who ever said that had proof and not just speculation or citing unknown sources!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"deporting all Russian citizens back to their home country"

Tell me how that happens? Do you deport someone who has lived here for 30 years, has kids and owns a business?

I said it.

Besides named sources seems to cause meltdowns in some corner's,as previously seen

Was bound to happen that Putin would be in 2 places at once, having a live video conference while laying a wreath 20mins away.

Why would people have meltdowns over named sources? I'd take them over unnamed sources any day of the week.

Zero sight on the Frontline of the 40x Marders or the 12 or so challenger tanks, despite already being delivered weeks ago. Ukrainian officials stating only 25/30% of the AFU counteroffensive force are currently engaged in the probing and you come away with the assumption the rest of the western vehicles haven't been delivered or delivered and not ready (I take 'not ready' to mean not battle ready and not, 'not ready to engage')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So deport them no matter who they are or what they contribute to society?

What a bizarre new contribution from him. Can never quite tell what his endgame is but he's starting to resemble the Marlon Brando character in Apocalypse Now

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

I just pictured that, and now need to go and have a lie down.

Let's hope so. The question then will be what Putin orders if his back is against the wall and will the army carry it out or turn against him. But let's see if we even get to that point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'd like say he's starting to resemble Cotton Hill.

He killed fiddy thousand men (from his own side).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe yes and no. Part of putin's Russia from the early days of his junta and something different to what had recently gone before(though was very much a tactic of Stalin), was very cleverly sowing an orchestrated confusion sociopolitic among the home crowd. As well as obviously backing putin's regime, they also infiltrated and backed different groups within Russia. EG they'd back anti nazi groups and nazi groups. Pro western and anti western, pro democracy and anti democracy, pro religious and anti religious, pro putin and anti putin and so on. More, they could be quite open about doing all this. I would say Russians have always been much better than western powers at this sorta thing. I mean look at how they've got the US right behind them. Who would have believed that ten years ago.

Now obviously this gave them the advantage of heads ups to looming threats, but it did far more; it sowed confusion among the Russian peoples. They couldn't trust the truth of any group, or the truth of Russia herself, beyond "Russia is great" and "putin is a stabilising influence". If nothing is Truth(c) other than putin and Russia, you'll tend to fall back to the position of putin/Russia is the only truth. I've long noted this cognitive dissonance and suspicion of political and social trends and realities among the Russian folks I've known who grew up with this. IMHO it's why you see the same cognitive dissonance and support among ex pat Russians in the west. They are exposed to more realities, but quite simply don't believe them. You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make them drink if they are confused about what water itself is.

Aside: The view of Prigozhin among the Russians I know varies and is itself confused. When he first started coming out with the negative stuff they were very surprised that he was being very "non Russian" for speaking out of turn, then it was explained away as him suffering from PTSD/war stress, then it was "he's playing the fool to confuse the west", but overall it was again confusion.

So I personally see Prigozhin as one of these confusion actors. He's also a pressure release valve for those who see this war as bloody stupid, while at the same time note he never criticises Russia or putin. He aims at the military command and commanders. He's even accused them of planning a coup. This sends an indirect message to them(and any other potential coup types) from putin via Prigozhin that it'll be their heads on the block. And well they know that while Prigozhin's lips are moving he is voicing putin's words. Again IMHO there's no way in hell Prigozhin would get so much airtime to come out with this stuff if putin didn't approve. Prigozhin is very close to putin. Indeed if you want to know what putin is likely thinking I would suggest listening to Prigozhin is one of the best ways to do so.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The density of mines must be staggering and no doubt make quick progress in any direction slow.

Plenty of clips of Russians hitting their own mines but add to that, even the Ukrainians are firing mines behind the Russians to prevent Russian reserves arriving quickly to the contact areas.

Do similar to the US with the ESTA, where you fill in your social media handles and they go checking your history for red flags.

Anyone supporting a genocidal war, supporting a government that has threatened to nuke Ireland, has declared Ireland an enemy etc... Maybe just maybe that would be a reason to not issue a visa?

Regardless of what country they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I don't see any named sources here to back that up.

The confirmation bias is quite amusing.

CNN citing "a senior US military official" is fake news, but dubious Twitter accounts posting stuff with no evidence is perfectly fine, just as long it's what they want to hear.

The cv90s only recently arrived ,the Challengers are there and some other vehicles, i still think there's shortages of equipment and weapons hence why we haven't seen a lot of armoured vehicle action and the little we have seen didn't go the way we initially Hoped, but then again minefields and heavy artillery is a bad day for any assault without air and artillery cover

Pfffh, Forbes 🙄 I'd personally need better than that source and more names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

It takes several years to get to that point and many would not have seen reason to bother before recent incidents.

Any Russian I have met (and I am aware there are others) have cited Putin as the reason they are not in Russia. Why punish them for fleeing a horrific dictator?

Finally treating them is a weapon. No skin off our back (and we benefit from their labour) and it shows their family back home someone living a better life outside the country. There is no particular benefit to the Ukraine, indeed many may be used as cannon fodder in the war against their will which seems like your plan will actively hurt the Ukraine (presuming countries with bigger populations than Ireland followed along).

East Berlin blocks tended to not have windows pointed west as they were worried people in office blocks that could see over the wall and would see people living a better life. These days zoom calls home will provide the same hit.

• Advertisement

I read that, it doesn't actually back up anything of what you said.

• Unlikely anyone would be deported. They can simply claim asylum.

”I would be forced to fight in a war if I’m sent back”

Our government will not deport someone if they are likely to be killed.

We are lucky we have not have had an influx of Russians seeking asylum. That would be an interesting mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I read the same as you, Ireland's Own and the likes.

It would appear that Ukraine have made a very small advance past the pre-2014 DPR border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Did you read the article? The senior US military official was named and said nothing relating to the clickbait title. Here's what he said, just so you don't have to bother your arse reading the article. In fact, there are two senior US military officials quoted AND named in the article.

“This is a very difficult fight, it is a very violent fight and It will likely take a considerable amount of time and at high cost,” Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley said.

Referring to Ukraine losing armored vehicles in the early days of the counteroffensive, US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said, “the Ukrainians have the ability to recover equipment that’s been damaged, repair where possible, get that equipment back into the fight,”

“There will continue to be battle damage” but Ukrainian forces “still have a lot of combat capability, combat power,” Austin added.

Anyone considering Twitter as a trusted source needs their heads checked too.

Seriously though, read it and look through the clickbait. The named quotes are the only ones that matter because we know who said them, there is absolutely no reason for "Western Officials" to not be named. In what capacity are they officials? Do they actually know what's going on?

• Advertisement

You've got it all wrong, try reading the article more carefully.

The additional quotes you're talking about from Milley and Austin came at a meeting in Brussels last week. They are separate to the quotes that were made to CNN in relation to this story.

After a meeting of the Defense Contact Group in Brussels last week, the top US general said Ukraine is making “steady progress” but warned they had to be in for the long haul.

“This is a very difficult fight, it is a very violent fight and It will likely take a considerable amount of time and at high cost,” Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

Or they just didn't see the need? I have Irish friends who live abroad and still have their Irish passport because why would they not? It takes years to get citizenship, maybe they have not been here that long, maybe they have moved around.

Plus you seem pretty focused on the 30 year example. You gonna sit everyone currently in the citizen process from Russia to go through political asylum? You will have a serious fight getting through that. Companies will relocate valuable workers to safe countries aided by friends and they will leave with their families. But hey we can create a load of work for those sorting through political asylum for reasons!

This seems ridiculous for all purposes with no benefit except to try and exact revenge against people who have nothing to do with this. What is even the benefit in your mind? Oh no Russian's best and brightest have to go home and work in Russian companies/military. That'll really show them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Defence dolphins

I don't understand why people assume Ukraine launched an all out counteroffensive with all their armor at once, despite zero evidence of equipment like Challenger tanks and Mauarder IFV's being used currently.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement