Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I don’t think I’ve ever done a coffee date though I did plenty of walks over Covid when everything was closed that involved bringing a coffee along.

It is awkward to think of things to do if you don’t want to drink (I do so a drink is quite easy because you can keep it to one or if things go well stay longer) and you don’t want to do a coffee or a walk. There’s always tennis but only if you play. I suppose if there is anything cultural locally like visit a castle.

Was the coffee date awkward last weekend because it was a coffee date or you just weren’t feeling the guy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Tried the uninstall and reinstall re the Tinder repeating profiles and no joy. The apps in general, I'd describe as pretty lifeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It could have been more awkward if she was feeling him. 😄

I think a coffee date is the best option for a first date as there are plenty of options and you can easily drive home afterwards. A meal is too formal for a first date. After work drinks would only work if you're both living in the same town.

Appreciate it’s more difficult if in a rural setting, for sure. Makes total sense to meet for coffee if driving to get there is the only option. Though you could have one small drink and still drive. Agree dinner is too formal - but a wine bar can be nice with a few small tapas.

• Advertisement

That’s mad, I haven’t seen that happening with my account. Might be a funny glitch specific to yours. Maybe try and contact them. I’ve never contacted tinder before but I did bumble once and they got back to me within a day.

Tinder is a Wild West for sure, but it still has the most users.

Did you try bumble or it’s not for you?

A wine bar? Thats very posh. 🙂 There would be nothing like that around my area. There's a smoothie bar though. Maybe a smoothie date would work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks. @YellowLead I will get in touch with them.

Tinder is like fishing in open water, Bumble is like a pond. This is an observation, not a gripe. Did go on one date last month. We were on different wavelengths, simply one of those things. She gave me her number to make it easier to arrange a date.

Overall, there's more interest on the apps than the 6 months or so I tried in 2020. Only back on them since April 2023. Initially I thought I would be meeting one person a month based on messages. It's hard to think of questions when someone has no bio, even when they're verified.

I paid for a month of both to see what that's like. Blurred likes are sometimes people within your your search parameters i.e. age and geography so if you didn't pay, they would remain hidden from you. Maybe it's the algorithm being sneaky. The final niggle is being shown people in Carlow, Waterford, Belfast, etc. It's definitely not a case that they are from there and are currently in Dublin. I'm only looking at about 65km in and around Dublin and have selected only show those within this range.

That’s it, it’s just tricky to find somebody that’s right for you. And I think the more experience you have and the more you know what you want the tricker it becomes, because you are less willing to waste time and just give everybody a chance.

Ive no plans for this evening so I will out in some time swiping while watching Netflix.

Second date last night was not a runner, can’t remember if I posted that update or not. Too much talking about himself and complaining about Ireland. Very good looking but really it means nothing if there is no personality. I know some guys think all women will date a man who is good looking just because he is, but most of us won’t. So….next :)

Actually in Ireland tinder is 60/40. Which is still more men but not as bad as 80/20, which is a global figure and varies widely by region but in Europe it’s closer to 50/50 than US/India for example.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Heading out after work for a few extremely well-earned Margaritas

My big work project is finished this week, but i'm still running on adrenaline and need to get it out my system. Watch yourself if you're in and around the D4 area this evening 😂

Dating can wait for cuffing season to begin - just going to enjoy the summer and see what occurs

3.5 years on and off.

And yes it’s a different experience for women and also the fact that I live in Dublin also makes it easier - much bigger population and many more options for dates.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I have the singles hike Sunday. Hopefully it will be fun though rain is forecast.

Just got an email from the organiser to say she was going to send around some fun conversation starters because people might be awkward on a sober date. Jeez I hope it won’t be like the speed dating I did once where all the guys were clearly given a set of recommended questions.

If it’s going to be full of awkward people that’s not going to be fun, so hopefully she’s not basing that assumption on experience…

Oh fantastic to have that project out of your hair. Enjoy the margaritas!!

And fair on the having fun for now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I don't think I've ever been in a wine bar, I'm very uncultured ha, don't like wine at all. That said, a couple of drinks is always my go-to, or even non-alc in a bar setting, it's just more chill than dinner but still feels like a date. Coffee dates feel like interviews to me.

Years ago, a fella messaged me on POF saying he loved redheads and asked for my friend's number in one of my pics.🤣 It was funny tbh and I think I might have helped him out had she been single, but still a bit weird. Just thought of it there now because I came across a guy where I had to click his profile to see which guy was him (hate group pics as profile pics for this) and it wasn't the guy I hoped... so I can see where yer man was coming from.😅

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Soo, spose I'm in a successful tinder origin relationship. I've had success on bumble and tinder and online dating in general. Most of the people I know have also had this success. If you're awkward without drinking maybe figure that out. Although I have been on dates with awkward women the onus falls on you to carry the day and makes it a bit stressful.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for some of ya

Aw brill! Are you together long? All of my relationships the past 10+ years bar one have come from dating apps, and the exception was from Instagram. It can defo work. I think you just tend to mostly have people here who are currently single, so you don't really hear the success stories.

How long has your relationship been going on for and were you exclusive from the start?

Im not remotely awkward without alcohol by the way, it’s just coffee shops don’t have the right ambience from my perspective.

• Advertisement

Agreed on the ambience aspect, not a case of personally being awkward, just the setting isn't right for a date in terms of my preference. Like I said, you can have non alc drinks in a bar too.

I think they can both feel like interviews if you're just sitting at a table. It depends on who you're with too, but at least with the coffee date you have the option of going for a walk if the weather is ok.

You can still go for a walk if you go for a drink in bar. Just after :) That said, I don't like tea or coffee so I'm biased. But I prefer the setting.

You don't like tea, coffee or wine? What a freak! 😄

Just saw this singles night on in Rody Bolands next week. Anyone been to one run by that 2connect crowd? Never been to one in general but this is really close by so think I might if I can get someone to come.

Was on a press trip many years ago in France and had to do wine-tasting for a review piece. I didn't like a single one of them obvs, could not tell you the difference either - all wine tastes like perfume to me..or how I imagine perfume would taste I guess. So I basically had to pull info from Google to write the reviews of each, like me there writing "full-bodied" etc. whilst thinking about how I was gagging with each one. Fun times.

I also pretended to like coffee for a few months when I was 13/14 to be "cool". I didn't drink or give a **** about being "cool" when it came to drinking alc and didn't drink at all, but I went for the coffee. I was a weird kid. Stayed weird tbh. STAY WEIRD.

I went to speed dating with that crowd and it was shite. But that doesn’t mean the event would be!

I’ll think about it 😂 tbh I did have good chats with the other girls after. It wasn’t organised well but it was Covid times so maybe can make allowances for that and maybe they have gotten better at event management. It’s all a bit front for their one on one matchmaking service which they are trying to sell. Could be alright 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Advertisement

YAY!!! Shoot me a msg later and we can decide on it. It says it's selling fast but they always say that haha. I do think the format not being speed dating might be a lot better.

Anyone else that fancies coming let me know too :)

Advertisement