Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

If only RTE could do one of it's gory primetime investigations on the RTE organization it's self . It would be amazing to see the true levels of debauchery, squandering,reckless spendthrift, and mountains and valleys of hidden skeletons to be uncovered

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We need a PSB alright but not the bloated mess that RTE has become.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I wish that Secret RTE Producer Twitter account would come back!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

TG4 is completely separate from RTE now. RTE provide them with some programming but that’s about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I know I am saying that they take over RnaG, RTÉjr and RTÉ Radio Junior

You'll note that I didn't mention the NSO or Cor nOg as they now sit in the NCH where the RTÉ CO can now be moved to.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just move RTE under the remit of TG4

You just create another megalith.

In the interim potential. Remove The RTÉ Board and the Executive Board, while the changes are made.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

During Dee Forbes' watch the threatening not paying your licence fee ads were stepped up ... many programmes prominent in the era ... First Dates Ireland ... Operation Transformation ... Dancing With The 'Stars' ... all represented everything wrong with today's TV era ... useless reality fodder made on a shoestring ... Forbes' underhand sneaky payment of Ryan Tubridy will do little to get people to pay their TV licence ... quite the opposite in fact ...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Astartes

How long until the coverup will be justified because the "For roysh" will use it to further their agenda?

She also cut back massively in many areas, though I would argue she did as her predessor did (Noel Curran)

• Cuts to Children's Content by 75%
    • Cuts to Lyric, while threatening to move it out of limerick and even close the station
    • Cuts to News programming on TV, no news on RTÉ2, 1PM news and final current affairs programming end between 10:30 and 11:30, but mainly 9:30
    • Cuts to RTÉ2 save for sport, with extra epsiodes of First Dates, just look at RTÉ2's social media
    • Increase in funding from the license fee to 2FM
    • Little to no reform, she came in with ONE RTÉ and it never developed
    • Sold art works
    • Sold Land
    • Saw audiences fall
    • Cut funding to Drama
    • Comedy any comedy at all.

Anything else?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

No Claire Byrne show this morning. Curiously absent with no explanation...

She's probably raging down the phone to Noel Kelly.

And to think of the reprehensible way she treated Joe Brolly... Not even a fan of Brolly, but less a fan of Claire Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I think there is more to come on this, I'd say it's only the tip of the Iceberg

It's quite incredible really. At this stage the board has to go (all of them), It's their job t ensure the Org is being run correctly. It's clear there was no one at the reins.

I originally posted that we didnt need XY or Z from the Public broadcaster and that they should scale back. At this stage of the game however it's clear that RTE needs to be wound up. It's a total nepotisim/boys club.

It's cheaper and easier to start again than to try and fix something that is this completely broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,382 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dee should get no pay, as in salary or pension

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

She already got it all though….. She doesn’t have to receive another pay check for the rest of her life and that life will still be extremely comfortable…

sure wasn’t she getting a €25k annual car allowance???? Imagine getting a car allowance of €25k to go to your office… It’s not like she was up and down the country all week.. and she probably only lives 10 minutes away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah but is this a useful approach if you're going to maintain public service broadcasting in some form? The reality of a small country is the reconstituted PSB is going to end up hiring a lot of the same people, making a lot of the same type of programming, presumably from Montrose. But the interim 'scorced earth' period (of a couple of years?) is likely to see only a skeleton broadcasting service, lose a lot of RTE's current audience...So the new broadcaster will be starting off with much lower audiences, which will embolden those who want to scrap PSB altogether and let the markewt decide what people watch

RTÉ have already largely done the heavy lifting, and is currently in a very long interim Scorched earth period of complete inertia.

They've moved their music groups to the NCH, the only one left is the CO, it can simple fit into the NCH now.

TG4 as pointed out is a separate company can could take on the roles and responsibilities for Children's Content all of which is produced by indo producers after RTÉ's cuts, RnaG's management prob have very little input from the RTÉ up in Dublin, it and its studios around the gealteach could just move swiftly over to TG4.

Meanwhile you could bring in current RTÉ staff in to run RTÉ2, 2FM and the digital channel on a shoe string, outside of RTÉ.

Leaving RTÉ with RTÉ1, NEWS, +1, Radio 1, Lyric and Gold <<< It would still commission programming.

The heads of RTÉ should go, and it won't damage the perception of RTÉ, and, if needs be, you drop the name.

It would be interesting to know how Greek and Israeli TV is doing after their governments closed their services down and set up new ones.

______

Yesterday

Don't for get the moving fee of €50,000 she got also.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

you could bring in current RTÉ staff in to run RTÉ2, 2FM and the digital channel on a shoe string, outside of RTÉ.

Leaving RTÉ with RTÉ1, NEWS, +1, Radio 1, Lyric and Gold <<< It would still commission programming.

But if there's this much continuity are you really 'winding up' RTE?

No, I am say restructure it, even if you closed the BBC and you get the same group. It is unfortunate, but the lowly managers in RTÉ unless they go will remain.

The one thing that must happen is that all of the Executive board must step down, including the incoming DG, and the board must step down. That will have no profound effect on the audience, there are people there ready to take those jobs, and happy to be given the opportunity.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 86,382 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I accept the point you're making. There most certainly would be a period of extreme pain for the transition. However that (IMHO) is still easier than attempting to fix what's there. In fact, I genuinely believe what's there cannot actually be fixed. It's FUBAR

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Just looking at the 9 o'clock news. An excerpt from Liveline, my God Joe looks extremely grumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

No licence ad on Radio today, you know the disgusting one that basically tells us we are all criminals if we don't pay it.

He also looks massively overweight, with the headphones on he appears to have three chins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There should be no pension for dee, for her misconduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Never had much time for Dee but there are more people involved in this. I don't accept Tubridy's statement regarding he wasn't aware and it's just too coincidental that he quit the LLS a few weeks back.

I didn't hear it on the 1 o'clock News ad break or during Liveline.

Come to think of it, I was listening to the radio most of the morning and don't recall hearing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Saw Emma O'Kelly on VM News, and on RTE News...

She was clearly angry. Like, she's usually calm, collected, someone you don't see raising her blood pressure.

She looked like she was ready to commit murder. She was RAGING.

Advertisement