Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

This lad on Joe Duffy ringing in front the Carolinas is a right clown with an inflated sense of self importance.

Wtf is this a PR drive. Next caller supportive aswell.

It's a Corporate Governance and cultural issue. That is the core problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,971 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Always the same when the shít hits the fan in the office blame the person on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I said it yesterday in the Dee Forbes thread that there would be a financial fraud in this. Half an hour later the story broke, and today she is suspended. This is only getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

RTE have been taking the p*ss for years now. They are accountable to no-one, even Oireachtas committees which they continually lie to.

They are a law to themselves, hiding behind the excuse of "commercial sensitivity".

Realistically the only way to hold them to account is for people to stop paying their TV licence and possibly whatever succeeds it.

This can't go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Only difference is, this person was running the organisation and would absolutely had oversight of any out of the norm payments/processes to this amount.

People like Angela on Joe Duffy are the reason there are so many chancers in Irish life. She's an enabling apologist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Will Tubridy be employable after all this, regardless of more info that will come out, what is know is very destructive to his career, a relatively young man at 50. Who'll employ him.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I do not know who is most guilty here ... Tubridy .. Noel Kelly ... or Dee Forbes ... but suspect the latter .... the other 2 asked for this salary increase but Forbes gave it to them instead of saying it was illegal under the company rules ... this sort of blatant obscene payments to Tubridy is the reason why RTE is broke ...

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I haven’t time to look through this thread but am I the only one who thinks it’s all a bit overblown? 10% of his salary extra is a pretty trivial amount and it was presumably necessary because he was signalling his intention to move on. Involving the sponsor implies to me that they, too, were ready to leave and were only coaxed to stay on with a reduction in the value of the sponsorship and some promotion from Tubridy.

It’s all a bit murky, and he was certainly overpaid, but I feel people are jumping on this to vent their populist prejudice against RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It doesn't help that he's not a good presenter either, uncharismatic and awkward with guests and incapable of letting a conversation flow. He just stuck to what was on his cue card.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,971 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Thank Christ I will never have to listen to the likes of Angela on Joe Duffy.

I'd rather smear my testicles in honey and tease a grizzly.

• Advertisement

Its hard to see any coming back from this for Forbes and Tubridy. Kelly will probably get past it, if there isn't anything else in the cupboard. How they expected to get away with this is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Yes. For me he's a bit of a two trick pony. The Toy Show and faux concern for misery\sorrow\hardship stories. And the later is blown out of the water, no credibility on concern for the less well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

Noel Kelly must have a direct line to a hape of Betty’s to ring Joe Duffy in a time of crisis 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Must be so frustrating for RTE staff that the big name contractors not only get such big pay but also these other arrangements.

Think what should be made clear is how many of those we see on screen are actual RTE employees.

If Noel Kelly arranged this for Ryan sure some his other clients getting it too

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Any discussion about this with Joe on Liveline

Dee Forbes solution for all problems was to ask for more money

He can do his train show that nobody has pointed out that enda Kenny has already done

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Joe never heard of a bartering account

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Ryan is single he has no missus.

Did anyone else notice RTE taking the piss last night. They had a show on RTE1 called Face the music and that was followed by the Best of the Late Late show.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd be the first one to consider things overblown if they are overblown.

This is not overblown

• Advertisement

Where would he go? The BBC don't want him and I can't see any other Irish TV or radio station having him.

See this is the source of the problem with RTE senior management. The belief that Tubridy, Duffy, D'Arcy, etc are simply irreplaceable.

Pat Kenny left, no-one really missed him, Callan is going a pretty good job on the radio in the morning, far funnier than Tubridy, likewise the replacement when Duffy is out.

The cult like status for presenters must end. There is plenty more "talent" out there, especially younger talent.

Post edited by tobefrank321 on

To put it in Layman's terms, Ryan walking back into RTE is like a fart in a spacesuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

No but I'd imagine you are in the minority. it's a real Irish thing. Like FAS and multiple other scandals. Where the guy receives a pat on the back and a good auld "sure isn't some biyo". No Fxuk that now at this stage. It's not a trivial amount of money when it's me and you paying it.

It was the same when Bertie and Charlie were caught out or Lowry was caught out. Too much nepotism and not enough outrage or accountability.

The other fact is that Tubridy just isn't talented enough to command money like that and our market isn't big enough to pay salaries like that. Let him off to the UK or wherever and see how long he lasts lecturing the masses on the next shite book he is going to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭SteM

This is it. The national broadcaster should be there to give young talent a place to work. After that if they want big money and they are good enough let them go off to commercial broadcasters to make their fortune if they wish. If they want job security then they can stay at the national broadcaster and 'regular' wages. Somehow RTE became the bloated mess that it is with ordinary presenters paid extraordinary wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How anyone thinks Tubridy can save his career and keep the money is beyond me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

10% of his salary extra is a pretty trivial amount and it was presumably necessary because he was signalling his intention to move on.

I genuinely wonder though, where would he (or any of the other vastly overpaid presenters) move on to? Didn't he do a brief filler in at BBC radio some years ago and I don't think it was successful?

I didn't watch the LLS since he took over (I tried but couldn't do it) and didn't listen to his radio show bar the odd clip if I was in the car, before I changed channels. But, imo, he came across as someone totally unsuited to the role he was in.

He had no interest in people, or curiosity about them, he didn't know when to just stay quiet and allow someone to speak. It was all shuffling and slapping the desk and the cue cards, omg, the cue cards. They weren't just props or reminders, he was glued to them. So he was unable to respond in a normal conversational manner to a guest.

And anytime I looked at the lineup for a show, there was the inevitable misery slot.

Not what I want to relax with on a Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Then they accuse their critics of begrudgery.

It is often said that Irish people are terrible begrudgers.

I think we're just cynical and suspicious of success. Not surprising with the low level nod-wink corruption and nepotism the place is riddled with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

I think we're just cynical and suspicious of success. Not surprising with the low level nod-wink corruption and nepotism the place is riddled with.

That's just the non successful people.

The successful ones tend to keep quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

The cheek of them then crying the poor mouth and trying to get everyone who has a broadband connection to pay as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement