Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

I wonder which countries have the right idea about what the 'bumpers' are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I saw a german review of them and the battery swap thing is a novelty but in general the car is just annoying. Theres a siri type assistant that keeps yapping if you do one 1km over the limit and cannot be told to shut up but aparantly this is a positive with the chinese . The lane assist was also a bit crazy going through roadworks and the likes (possibly with more yappin from yer one the voice assistant)

I'm sure they'll improve those things over time, but for now its a rather good car let down by its software

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

A Spanish friend reliably informed me that it is perfectly normal that, while parallel parking, you reverse until you hit the car behind. And likewise when going forward again. And you never leave much more than a foot between cars, so as to make the parking available for the maximum number of cars. Most number plates in Spain are of the metal variety and are usually well bent and damaged even on newer cars...🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Would have sat back with the popcorn if those lads tried to squeeze into the half car space left by a gobshite I saw parking across 2 spaces in his/her 231 Ioniq 5 recently. Amazing despite all the driver aids packed into new cars these days, some people cant/won't or are too selfish to get the basics right

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Was in Helen Mirren who said on Top Gear that the best way to drive around Paris was in a small car covered in dents. Then everyone thinks your a lunatic and keeps away from you

I think the EV gods heard my complaint because I've seen a good few more EVs in the past couple of days, mostly Tesla's and a few Zoe's

However, the majority of the more expensive EVs I've seen to far have Dutch plates. I guess they're heading south for the sunshine and taking the Tesla to use the Supercharger network

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Do the Dutch still hook up their caravans to the Model 3s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

UK consumer organisation Which!, as part of their wider annual car survey, asked over 3000 EV owners how much the range of their car had decreased since they bought it.

So, although battery degradation occurs in EVs, our data shows it’s not something you should be overly concerned about.

The results are interesting enough to be indicative even if the sample size and methodology is not robust enough to draw solid conclusions. The article at least does touch on the distinction between new vs older technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Saw this in Paris, was eating pizza in a cafe facing the window and a little 90s looking Citroen was parallel parking, bumped the car in front and behind gently to get in. Different story there as there's plenty of 90s/early 00s cars on the roads unlike here where you can't get insurance quotes because insurance fraud and magic parts unavailability (even though there's plenty of older cars around Europe still going and maintained). Can't really do that with new cars though with parking sensors and collision radars that are expensive to calibrate.

I joined a green team in work to put forward ideas of being more eco friendly. EV chargers was mentioned as we don't have any, it was looked into last year but shelved as the idea of free charging would be 'unfair' for those with diesels paying €200 a month.

I didn't mention it yet as this was just a brainstorming meeting but it's not about saving money. I pay €15/pm to drive ~1,200km so I don't care about free charging.

I will be bringing several points up if anyone has any other suggestions that would be great.

A lot of people at the company are commuting 100-150km, chargers are reassuring for those concerned about range particularly in Winter. They're also the biggest polluters given their distance. Remote working seems to be nonexist for most companies.

New estates have to be multi unit developments so there's a lot more duplexes and apartments built that all have parking spaces. The likes of South Dublin County Council have a max 60% driveway rule in new estates so people like myself have parking spaces outside a house. There's also the issue with new estates being privately managed, the council have no obligation to take them over and the management companies might not want to engage in getting chargers installed as a lot of them are useless.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Advertisement

This is the problem, the more complex a car gets the shorter it's lifespan. Withan increasing number of people now insisting they wouldn't buy/drive a car without a pleothera of driver aids, the future will be even worse. Cars are becoming more like expensive consumable electronics as the years go buy, once they go wrong straight to the knackers yard with ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I don't really get the argument against free charging, nobody forced them not to buy an EV. It's like whinging that smokers have a smoking shed out the back that I never get to use because I don't smoke.

As they get more popular you have to come up with some demand management solutions, some places have a max time e.g. 4 hrs and move the car. If you don't you'll be blocked from charging the next time but a lot of places unfortunately just end up charging to stop all the whinging. If the price is ok it's still a great option for people with no home chargers.

Get paid for EV charging in and try to provide the electrons at cost. Even better if your workplace has solar PV, at certain times of year there might be a surplus that can be used by the EVs since the cars will be there in daytime presumably. The remit of your group is to be 'green' not to subsidise a certain group of workers. So facilitate anyone who wants to drive an EV, but workplaces should be neither subsidising nor profiting from it.

If it's a large enough electricity consumer then AFAIK the unit rate isn't exactly fixed, it depends on the amount of power being consumed at any particular time

So working out the actual unit rate for EV charging might not be that straightforward

Having said that, it should be fairly easy to pick something nominally representative of the cost of electricity and stick to that

I think workplace charging is a great resource, but I agree it probably doesn't make sense for it to be free. Try to match the cheapest night rate so it's really only an incentive for people who need it would be a good approach IMO

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have had this discussion before many times in work, work place charging should be good quality 3pin plugs, employers are not there to subsidise employee vehicle choices and installation costs of pedestal 7/22kW chargers is not cheap, being at work the guts of 35-40hrs a week would provide plenty of leccy via Granny cable.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Many years ago I was an employee/prisoner of a large manufacturing site near Dublin that operated 24/7

There was a guy who worked shifts in the factory who would bring his campervan so his commute was reduced to a walk across the car park for those days he was working

I'd say if there was an available 3 pin socket he'd have plugged in straight away, and probably another dozen employees would have done the same trick

Or a gang of the local traditionalist nomads would park up one weekend and steal a load of free leccy while wrecking the gaff (not that much stops them anyway)

So I can understand not using 3 pin sockets and having type 2 sockets instead, but I do agree anything over 7kW is a waste of space and if the choice was installing four 22kW chargers, twelve 7kW chargers or twenty four 3kW chargers then I'd go for the option of most chargers

Although frankly, if I was the dude sleeping in ten van when I'm off shift then I'd probably be looking up some way to hook up an EV charger to my van batteries to run my appliances. It's been done a few times already, doesn't seem like the biggest struggle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If an employer is letting someone sleep on the premises or giving access to non-employees then they have bigger fish to fry.

Lockable 3pins are always an option and not that expensive

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

as the idea of free charging would be 'unfair' for those with diesels paying €200 a month.

Had the exact same experience. Whingers, moaners, jealous people are in every workplace.

Two simple options...

1) The company ignores the whingers and provide the charge points for free.

2) The company doesn't want to rock the boat and be seen to be giving a benefit to some people and not others in which case they simply install a solution where its not free to use.

It sounds like option 2 is for your company. Plenty options for that depending on how simple or complex you want the solution to be.

e.g. You can dumb it down and just have a charge point that takes a token to give you Xhrs of charging. You "buy" the tokens from someone in the company and you set the price of the token at whatever level you wish. This is simple and gives you lots of control within your "green team" to adjust pricing/rules as you see fit.

You can make it more complicated and sub-contract it out to a company who will install charge points in your site and manage the whole thing via their pre-existing backend systems and the employees will signup for that providers app and pay their rates. Its almost entirely out of the companies hands then but it wont be cheap and is likely to have low uptake in that case (i.e. emergency use only). I was at a site yesterday actually where EO Charging had this setup. You had to use their eoApp to start the charge session. Works fine but it was almost as expensive as DC charging!

I think external 3 pin sockets is a bad idea. Too many potential downsides there.

A bank of proper charge points should be the solution. Paid or free is up to the company.

They will have to subsidize some of it for it to make sense. I don't think people would use it if it's 40-60c/kWh like commercial rates or public charging. The key here is to encourage new EV owners, if charging at work is costly then the people concerned about range or apartment dwellers still won't make the switch.

The company has a large budget specifically for this environmental group over the next few years. It's a large warehouse that has 24/7 air conditioned warehousing with both fridge and freezer storage, car charging wouldn't make a dent on their bills. Their monthly water bill alone is huge, that's beside the point, but this isn't a small company.

EV ownership is non existent, I'm one of two with a BEV in a company of 100 people. In 5+ years time when every second or third car is an EV then yeah charge normal rates but until more people make the switch we need to be encouraging EV adoption. The company is committed to spending money, they can definitely subsidise electricity costs for a couple of years given the small number of potential EV owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

would you not be able to do it completely green and install solar panels and let anyone who wants a charge then charge off them?

Then nobody can say theres preferential treatment as the electricity is coming from the sky for free, not being bought by the company for a priviledged subgroup of the employees .

If the company has cash to throw around, then maybe offer fuel vouchers to anyone doing car share as maybe people just need an extra kick up the rear to organise themselves ? They will still be burning fossil fuel, but if you slash the number of cars travelling in every morning then you are still slashing emmissions. Doing something like that might also lessen any problems people have with giving free electricity to Ev owners. There'd be something for everyone. If Ev owners are getting 5 or 10 euro per day (1000 euro + per year) of benefits, then offer similar to ICE drivers

• Advertisement

While it's laudable that a private company is seeking to improve it's green credentials, is it really the companies responsibility to promote the purchase of EVs amongst it's staff? I know people will respond saying its bredudgey etc but in reality providing a free EV charging service to a small number of workers who otherwise wouldn't have access to home charging represents a potential significant personal benefit to these workers. Maybe I'm not seeing the full picture and the company is also going to subsidise the purchase of bikes, bus/train tickets, walking shoes, etc for the remainder of the green conscious staff who can't or don't need to take advantage of this benefit.

Seems to me providing free charging to a small number of staff could be divisive and a charged service linked a reasonable domestic electricity rate would be a better option

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

How much do you think the personal benefit it. Based on my own usage which comes entirely from public charging it would be worth about €90/month. I probably save more money from the company supplied coffee instead of the local convenience store than I would from free work charging over using public charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

My employer delayed 6 years then installs enough chargers for 4 cars with 350 employees. Pricing is around 15c/kWh which is cheaper than most home plans.

They insisted on fees claiming benefit in kind which I told them was not an issue.

They went with a commercial provider and credit card reader.

Downsides, immediately not enough, at least 10 EVs or phev on site, meaning those who charge are asked to move. I was the only EV driver about 2 years ago.

Many drivers never charge at work, myself included.

I totally agree 3kW in large numbers or 7kW in smaller numbers is ideal. Pricing does help the chargers to be unused for those who need them. I cannot rely on the chargers as they broke from time to time and tend to all be occupied before my start time. Even when they are not I leave them free for others to use.

If I had workplace charging 5 years ago I could have purchased a much cheaper EV and charged at home and at work every day to increase the range. Instead I had to buy an EV with double the range.

Employers with more than 100 employees should be forced to have chargers for 10% of parking places, increasing % each year to 100%. Say 7kW minimum with load sharing. Lots of people switch to EV when workplace charging exists as demand has shown.

Is it not the general consensus that a free service is abused so unless there are more chargers that chargees, free charging is going to lead to hogging of chargers. Much better to have a reasonable fee for charging so people don't take the mickey hogging a limited resource to fully charge their 70kwh batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Your employer obviously went the lazy route by involving a 3rd party when they could surely have handled it internally. Most employers just want to tick the eco box by saying they have EV charging facilities available. It’s better than nothing but BIK being blamed is only a lame excuse. Currently BIK does not apply as long as charging is made available to all employees. Whether it is free or subsidised etc. is not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm in Sardinia airport now waiting to come home. Been here a week.

Almost 280 Kms from the airport to the house we rented plus we drove around a lot.

In that time I saw 3 Model Y's, 1 BMW M40 and 1 fiat 500e. Also saw a model 3 parked in a multi storey.

Out and about I saw 2 x 22ac chargers and at the motorway services I saw 4 x 300kw new chargers with their cables still wrapped in plastic.

Mostly still the battered fiat Pandas and Tipos that I see most times I'm in Italy!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You made the claim that it was significant personal benefit. Whether the charging is paid or not I feel claiming its a significant benefit only applies to someone who hasn't taken more than a cursory glance at the economics.

Revenue have taken a similar position which is why BIK does not apply to free workplace charging

Of course one man's significant benefit is anothers loose change. Depends on your perspective. In fairness if you were paying say 30c per kW for domestic electricity 50kw at work is only worth €15 to you, pennies really. Now of course if you didn't have home charging that 50kw would be worth approx €30, again I'm sure loose change for some priveledged employees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Rivian have bought ABRP. But they say it'll remain open to everyone.

Rivian have also joined NACS. CCS1's days in NA seem numbered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Didn't understand one single word(or abbreviation) of that post, well, maybe CCS1 is type one I'm guessing. We'll need a glossary of terms soon.

Advertisement