Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭Floppybits

How many more of the Top presenters have a deal like this? We have been ripped off long enough having to listen to RTE poor mouthing and telling us they need to pay these exorbitant salaries to keep the talent. Slash all the wages of the top earners now and lets see how many end up in pastures new on big salaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

It amazes me the Joe Duffy thread here sees huge traffic, for a few reasons.

One it's agony aunt stuff mostly. Maybe a bit better on a newsy day like today. Two it's on in the middle of the day, i didn't think so many people would be able to listen, as opposed to an evening programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

RTE have to find a way to justify these high salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I like Joe.

There, Ive said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,989 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,288 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I like Joe too but I'd like him twice as much on half the salary :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Sorry and reform seem to be the 2 hardest words for RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭Homer

….

Is 'doing the system', feathering your own nest, an Irish thing. You'd often hear the rationale put forward that when we were a colony we were always trying to do the system, be it poach salmon, get off with pulling a stroke. It was grand when we were conning the British administration. But the habits became ingrained and we continue to act this way.

Or is it simply human nature is human nature no matter where you go. With certain cultural exceptions e.g. the Germans generally do what they're told.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Not only RTE but Government and Public/Civil Service have trouble with those 2 words as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Irishdancer

Maybe refrain from making comments about something that you haven't read would be a useful start? you admit this yourself but then move to judgement on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

No it's not overblown. This is tax payers money we are talking about.

The same money which could be used for multiple other reasons. It's also tax payers money because each year RTE manage to blow the tv license money and go crying to the government for more.

I support RTE and I think we need a national broadcaster, this is even more relevant today after the likes of covid. No matter what people think of covid it was the only way to communicate to the population. But it is run like most government bodies, over budget and not providing the service the population wants.

Yes people want the Late Late show, do we need to pay the likes of Tubs so much money to present it? no we don't.

This is the list of earners

Tubs: over paid even with his declared wages, an average interviewer at best, his interview with the lady from Derry Girls says it all about him

Joe Duffy: anyone can listen to auld ones moan

Ray D'arcy: ??? really? the guy was ok on Today FM, taken back in to present a TV show which crashed, was told he would bring in advertising and hasn't. If I failed that bad I would be fired

Claire Byrne: never watched her so no idea

Miriam O’Callaghan: struggling to see why

Brendan O’Connor: Is he even on the station anymore?

Dobbo: news reader

Mary Wilson: no idea who she is

and the list continues. Really we have a lot better talent who end up in the UK because these is what RTE are hiring.

I could list out the Lottie Ryans, Doireanns etc and it all ends up with a list of nieces/nephews/daughters etc who are not hired for talent

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Irishdancer

I noticed Will Goodbody trying to reduce the amount involved and the period involved during the 9 O'clock news. Have a look between 7 mins 50 seconds and 9 mins 20 seconds.

RTÉ News: Nine O'Clock - RTÉ Player (rte.ie)

WG refers to an amount 120,000 between the years 2017 to 2019....why would you start picking elements of it if not to change the narrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,288 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's not overblown. At the same time as this was happening, RTE were making great play of being short of cash, and saying how staff would have to take cut backs. Looking for more money from the government and licence fee increases.

They cut Tubridy's headline pay but concealed these figures. Tubridy went along with this.

They lied to their staff and to the country.

There's a reason why RTE staff are gunning for Tubridy.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

When you hire a company to do a review which is on the payroll for years, I think we all know what is coming out of this review....fluffy clouds :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's about Corporate Governance issues, a lack of transparency and poor oversight on the use of taxpayer/licence fee payer money.

Money can't just be dished out willy nilly without due process whilst a different understated figure is communicated to the public who absolutely have an interest in getting value for money.

Far too many people are missing the real issue. I'm not sure how many of you work in organisations with proper Governance or have had exposure to how things should work at board and committee level.

The fact that there are indications people on the board and sub committees may not have known would tell another story.

Nothing wrong with that.

Funny who we take dislikes to and a friend or family member might have a completely different take :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

How much did Tubridy get for the St. Vincent De Paul ads? I doubt very much he did it for free given we his greedy nature has been exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If Parliament got involved with This Morning and ITV, our Government can demand a full review, ask questions of RTE, even if it is their preferred bias media

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The PAC should be involved, RTE is part funded by the TV license fee collected from us mere plebs.

• Advertisement

I think there's enough outcry from the Oireachtas, programme's like Prime Time and the general public that this will be fully investigated. It's not going away.

The suspension of Dee Forbes is a good sign too. Enough is enough, this is fraud really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Not tubs fault….he announced in 2020 he was taken a pay cut and what do the silly billies in rte do but give him extra money.

how silly of them!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There's definitely an element of some people wanting to vent and been given a good chance to bash RTE and Tubridy himself - but, tbf, RTE have given them a great opportunity to do so!

The wider and fundamental issue of the whole debacle are the questions that have been raised about the corporate governance, business practices and financial practices at the most high profile organisation in the country - which is publicly funded.

The mind boggles at how such a large sum of money could be effectively unaccounted for over a period of years. No-one seems to know how this happened, why this happened, who signed off on it - if that's even the whole amount, or whether there's going to be lots more to be uncovered as time goes on. RTE is publicly funded and has self-consciously traded on an image of truthfulness and probity, while also speaking of having a funding crisis and while also bestowing pay-cuts on regular staff. But then it turns out that throughout that entire time they've been pissing away hundreds of thousands, totally at odds with published salaries - and all of the processes and decision making behind that left entirely opaque? There's some serious questions to answer there and investigations to be undertook. It's legitimately important that a public service broadcaster receiving public money be held to account in how it conducts its business. That's the real crux of the issue

I'll agree with you that the level of coverage in the story has been multiplied simply because it features Ryan Tubridy. A similar story could have emerged about an executive at RTE or the HSE receiving the same amount - or even more - and while it would still be a huge story, the coverage wouldn't be as wall to wall. The media loves to talk about the media. And, let's face it, we're all entertained by this.

And there's always a danger in that noise that the real meat of the issue - how exactly RTE is run, how public money is used - is somewhat lost and the story becomes about the individual. You can see it already. People are bashing RTE, but there's equally as many, if not more, people bashing Tubridy first and foremost. Tbh I can understand why: it's more engaging and involving to talk about the whole Tubridy side of things than the comparatively drier corporate side of things.

But, having said that, I do think Tubridy has questions to answer. Was he aware that he was getting paid far, far more than was publicly stated for years? Perhaps it was all legally sound and fully agreed and perhaps Tubridy was already so well off and had so many people looking after the financial side of things for him that he could have been oblivious to that extra 10% of his salary that wasn't in the public domain. It's not impossible, I think it's implausible, but, not impossible. His statement yesterday, no doubt prepared at pace, was pretty vanilla and basically said "nothing to see here" - I very much doubt that'll be his final word on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

seems appointing an outsider in dee forbes didn't change a lot

Moya Doherty, chairwoman of the RTÉ board, said the appointment marks a “significant moment” in the development of the broadcaster.

“Not only is this the first director-general in almost 50 years to be appointed externally, but she will also be the first female to hold the role,” she said. “RTÉ is at a pivotal moment, one where the future shape and financing of public service broadcasting is being re-imagined. I am delighted to have someone with such a breadth of industry experience, such a creative and visionary understanding of the global broadcasting market, and a proven management record.”

In my opinion the biggest issue with Tubs was he was used as the face of RTE a lot of the time during covid. When people really struggled. He was all over the TV with his fund raising etc and all in this together while he was getting what some people will think are "backhanders" to cover his real wage. Maybe not backhanders but that is what people feel like they are.

If he knew about this he was stupid enough to do that final episode of Late Late show. I will say nothing more on that

His statement after this came out was also the worst PR job since that TD who fell off the seat went onto the radio. I only think about that because I was in that hotel the other day and that seat is now famous :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I think there is an element of getting one over on someone above you or d’man. But the idea that the people getting shafted are the taxpayer is what escapes most people.

• Ryan’s just made another response read by Cormac Ó h-Eadhra

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Sigma101

An (inadequate) account has already been given of the payments since 2020. We know that a sponsor was involved for the first year and that RTE were on the hook when the sponsor didn't renew. We know that a barter account was used.

No explanation whatsoever has been given for the 120k from the earlier period. There is no indication of the money coming from a sponsor or of a barter account or anything else. Absolutely nothing.

I think it's unlikely that anyone other than Tubridy had the barter arrangement. The 120k on the other hand opens a whole new can of worms.

Ultimately when the whole truth comes out, I suspect that it's the 120k payment that will pose the biggest problems for RTE. Perhaps it's WG's journalistic instinct that causes him to focus on this?

• Advertisement

So tubs PR have decided that was a stupid statement to make yesterday, have back tracked but still blaming RTE....idiots

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement