Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Eamonn Dunphy’s podcast on this (which I haven’t listened to - yet) describes the actions as a “grubby little stroke”.

Different class Eamonn! Different class!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Tubs has released a new statement:

"In a statement this evening he expressed regret that RTÉ has decided not to let him present his radio show next week."

So a previous poster asked would he be on the radio on Monday morning. The answer is no, and not for the rest of the week either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Actually, British only started using that phrase in the 1920s, as most of Ireland became free and Britain essentially thrown out - it is a statement of ownership - as militarily defeated

Remember, the Irish were seen as not British (and therefore inferior by the British in the 16-19th centuries),

in the North they referred to IRA as Irish, never British of course.

Any mention of it prior to 20th century, referred to islands around Great Britain and not Ireland

In my opinion, we know more about the history and geography of the two islands ( that said people should not get too worked up about it, more of a generational thing)

It’s funny how the top up ensure his fees always topped the magical “€500,000” figure. It seems to be a cut off point of sorts, perhaps a line in the sand for Kelly and Tubs himself.

Lets not forget though, there was a time when Tubs was on over €700,000.

• Advertisement

Couldn’t happen to a (pretend) nicer man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Shout out to the regulars on this thread who have been talking about NK management and their involvement at RTE for ages. Starting to see that you lot were spot on. Tipping my hat to y'all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

Alan Kelly wants rid of third party agents ie NK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Field east

I am of the strong opinion that todays JD show was an Artificial Intellegence job. Why ? .it was all going swimmingly well until it came to the belch. Joe never apologises when he belches but today he did. Previous belches were also of a discrete nature circa at a decibel level of50 max but todays was well over 122 decibels. The real Joe would also have been much more aggressive/ascertive/ combative/put down mode/balanced / etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

I hope he does an Enoch Burke and stands outside Montrose from Monday through to Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Tubridy is finished as a broadcaster in Ireland I reckon. There's been a fair bit of suspicious activity the past few months around him with RTE and I reckon he'll see out his radio contract and it won't be renewed.

He left the LLS very suddenly, only a couple of weeks after giving an interview saying he intended doing it for a few more years. His motives were suspicious at the time to us who knew him, but it is now obvious he knew the game was up.

His leaving show on the LLS was very poorly attended, the great and the good stayed away. They were forewarned; either by NK or else they knew from gossip within RTE that he was buggered.

The lack of love for him in RTE is obvious in that nobody has come out to defend him and his statements the past two days don't help him going forward. He lays the blame squarely on RTE and absolves himself of any real complicity in it. The truth is that the payments would not have happened without his active complicity in the matter.

I wasn't surprised that Duffy had a programme about him, he was fairly strident against RTE after the story of the COVID breaching leaving party for Phil 'Whiplash' Collins. I got the impression then that he (Duffy) doesn't have too many friends in RTE, and he knows he's in the clear on payments, so he's probably betting that some others are mired in this. Interesting. But not unusual, as every workplace has its cliques and people backstabbing each other.

So what now for Tubridy? I think he's very damaged goods and unless he has a very good personal relationship with the new DG, he'll be gone when the current radio contract runs out. Where will he go? Maybe Newstalk, but he won't have the pulling power of Pat Kenny and therefore he won't command near the wages he's currently on.

His inane natter isn't up to BBC standards and he doesn't have the focus for them, so I personally think the UK is out. Unless he goes to a private station, but I honestly don't know much about them.

Which leaves the US, and I think he can get a few years there. There's still an older 'Irish' element there who will think his Leprachaun lilting will be cute and there's plenty of stations there where his inane waffling would find a slot. The pay would be a downgrade, and he'd be on a 'hire & fire' contract but I think its his best option. He can butter up his contacts with the US Irish Democrats and have the odd weekend in Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard etc. It would be right up his alley, he has the money to support himself and convince himself he's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

• The entire bubble was inevitably going to burst. NK’s fingerprints were on every bloated paycheque, every bit of irrelevant publicity. When he made Tubridy seem more important than terminally ill Charlie Bird during the Croagh Patrick climb, it raised very another very red flag for me. It was in very poor taste that Ryan was seen travelling by helicopter (I was probably in very same Loughrea based chopper a few months later at Bray Air Show €50 for 4 minutes) though I know the practicalities might have proved it to be the best option. Just looked tone deaf.

Maybe if the chopper rides could have been offered for paying locals in Westport in support of Charlie’s charities it might have taken some of the harm out). I would have likely paid for a trip over Clew Bay with a view of Croagh Patrick, with some proceeds going to the charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Sorry. Must keep up. Who is NK?

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Wonder will any of the Irish rent-a-hacks be appearing on their mainland media this weekend with the béal bocht? The likes of the BBC wouldn't mind shifting attention from them and their obscene salaries onto Johnny Foreigner, then again it might prompt questions as to whether the BBC DG should resign for the millions their "talent" are paid

I always got the impression that the RTÉ/Duffy got their NI brief from the "trusted" BBC (who often don't have a clue where or what NI is), rather than say by travelling an hour up the road

The NUJ are a UK organisation, so the Irish hacks need to plead their case about their victimhood and shake down RTÉ/taxpayer for a bit of Tubridy's dough and who better to apply the pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Nothing will change. Politicians don't want to change it. It'll be forgotten next week

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

Post edited by notwhoyouthink on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Expunge

I just saw a clip of Joe on the 9 o clock news.

Mother of God, has put up a serious amount of weight since I last saw him.

He doesn't look well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Did l say they were? Unless you’re completely unaware of the situation or a Tubridy acolyte, you must surely realise this is most likely the end of his broadcasting career in lreland. Do you think the payments weren’t negotiated by him or his agent? Do you think the secrecy of the payments wasnt to keep the “plebs” in the dark while he laughed up his sleeve?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Maybe some Versatis would help, or more humble pie?

• Advertisement

• AI versions of a defeated Tubsidy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Did you hear the belch today, I think he had enough pie and coddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

I am quite concerned.

I think that there is likely to be a clear out of talent in next few months/years, and I especially worry about Joe. He did say today that LL is his life. I agree with that statement. You may also joke, but he does put his all into that show.

How long has he got left on his contract?

I think Tubridy knew, and not only knew, but demanded as such. I agree with previous poster. His reasons for leaving were stupid, and made no sense. And his final show was very low key. He has done a lot of damage. He needs to go.

I pray Joe stays for as long as possible.

• There was as much gas inside today as a decomposing corpse.

• Dee having suffered be boot so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭squonk

I wouldn’t worry too much about Duffer getting de boot so to speak. I’m sure he’ll have a few bukes he can pen with his extra spare time and they’ll likely involve visits to graveyards so he’ll be in his element.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Jor subtly suggesting he coukf jjump chipnyo Newstalk today

Callercalled fof salafh cuts at RTE.." If they don't like it they can head overseas"

"Or across Town" says Joe - despite Newstalk previously saying they had no interest in his "talents"

• Favourite AI selection of Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Dr Karl

Technically Paddy is not fully a Johnny Foreigner in the UK. RTE staff don't seem to consume RTE output. Before Telecom Eireann (Eircon) was privatized they and RTE owned Cablelink to relay UK TV here. Cablelink through various mergers and buyouts is now Virgin Media and own TV3 which is branded as VMTV. So it goes to show that the state does not need to own a media company for it to survive.

I'm aware the NUJ is an UK organization, but what surprises me is the amount of Anglos involved in Irish trade unions. The last visage of the British Empire?

BBC Radio 4 has the Media Show at 4:30pm on Wednesdays so we'll see if they cover it. The World Service might cover it as they like to keep up to date on their (former) colonies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭boardise

Advertisement