Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Tubridy is the type of man who spends a lot of time admiring himself in a full length mirror.

At some point in later years he came to the conclusion that his was the face of the modern Irish man.

Urbane, cosmopolitan,intellectual, educated, well read, sophisticated, he thinks.

The fact that he has no skills as an entertainer/broadcaster/chat show host is irrelevant. He feels that the Irish people, even though they don’t really deserve him, benefit hugely from his largesse of a morning five days a week , and for a certain amount of extremely long Friday nights through out the winter.

How else would we know what’s going on in the world if Ryan didn’t spend 20 minutes of each of his shows reading out bits from the morning papers? You can say that anyone really could do that (and anyone could) but Ryan knows that people will very quickly forget how awful Trump/Johnson are if he doesn’t remind them via the Gaurdian and The Irish Times on a daily basis.

I can only smile at the thought of the frenzy of emails that must have been pinging around yesterday and today between Tubs, his fixer, and the various players at RTÉ, one more indignant then the next, quickly getting quite panicky and more accusatory. Throwing one another under the bus.

Tubs’ initial statement absolving himself of any and all responsibility was, in retrospect, hasty and ill judged. Quite deliciously, instead of strengthening his position, he dragged himself further into the mire.

The humiliating follow up this evening was too little too late. And now he’s been suspended for at least a week. Too toxic to be allowed in front of the microphone he should never have been allowed near.

I think this is the end of the RTÉ that I’ve come to despise. I don’t know what’s going to happen to it but I think the government will have to step in and wreak havoc. Somehow.

We wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

As delicious as the end of Rte sounds they will circle the wagons and somehow this will be due to lack of tv licenses.

Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Why would the end of of RTE be "delicious"? they hire thousands in Ireland and you are happy with all these people been without a job. You need to get past the 1% who are the ones you hate to all the people who are working day to day keeping the place going.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The "required restructure and reform" will undoubtedly require the funding from the new broadcasting charge to e sure everyone pays.

This will allow it to be pushed through, but strictly in the public interest of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Just to explain my comments on political parties, I think it is just an easy out to say "oh well such and such supported this party"

It's a load of bull* to be honest, especially when you consider the options for a long time only had a FF or FG supporter. It's a tired excuse. No political party makes a difference to what the people involved in this situation done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Thousands of people producing muck for the most part is exactly the problem. It’s a entity that wants to make money with advertising on one hand then blame the taxpayer not contributing enough so as to cover the stupid salaries for talentless + under-worked. Of course there are genuinely entertaining people and talented people but lets not kid ourselves and assume they are the majority.

*edited a bit*

*Edited a second time 6/7 hours later - bloody phone keyboard!*

Post edited by thomas 123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

We Irish can be terribly begrudging so when someone does well there can be a tendency to knock them. However in this case Tubridy deserves to be knocked. He is thoroughly devoid of talent to be on either TV or radio. Yes he wears suits and doesn't have a how ya accent. He is from privilege, not a crime, but he has no idea of what life is like for the regular punter. He is so cosseted from reality and these under the table payments further reinforce the point.

Hopefully someone is held accountable for these payments. Hopefully this is the end of Tubridy being paid by the public purse. He has some neck to say he didn't understand how these payments were treated by RTE. That is an insult to each and every one who bothers to pay a TV license. Forbes being suspended is a starting point. Miss 'we need to increase the license fee' Forbes is shown to be at a minimum incompetent.

I grew up in the era of Gay, Mike Murphy, Brian O'Farrell, John Bowman, Pat Kenny (Radio) and Gerry Ryan all consummate broadcasters of genuine intellectual depth. Now we have D'Arcy, O'Callaghan, Tubridy and Duffy jesus wept. How standards have plummeted.

Do you accept at all that it was Tubridys responsibility to insist that RTÉ correct the figure they published in relation to his salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It makes the decision to vote down the constitutional addmendment to give the paramilent committees more powers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

That’s a fairly serious allegation.

Anything to back it up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Ah yes, we’ve hit Lovejoys Law “won’t somebody please think of the children”, the children being RTÉ employees.

Here’s one for you, some lad somewhere got into work today and got handed a P45 and told to pack up his stuff. He has no choice but to continue to pay an absurd mandatory fee to line Tubridys coke filled pockets while struggling to pay his rent, put food on the table etc etc. So, no the RTÉ employees aren’t in my thoughts, if they’d any morals they wouldn’t be working there in the first place, that sinking ship needs to go and let them go into the real world with it.

The churchillian monologues to camera in the empty studio during the lockdown. The daily condemnation of the vax hesitant and the mask refuseniks. Like, who the hell does this guy think he is….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

He's done more harm than good with his statements, which I'd say NKM had a hand in given the similarity to NKMs statement.

He tried to blame RTE and their finance department when they probably/definitely knew nothing about these payments.

Its been repeatedly said in the news these payments were from barter accounts outside the control of the finance department.

That said the main issue is rte underwriting a private deal between Tubridy and a sponsor with licence payers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think it has applicability to a certain type of supporter... bandwagon jumpers when the party looks like getting into power. Carpet baggers. Not those who stick with a party in and out of power.

Those who backed Haughey in the early 80s. Or FG in mid 90s.

Obviously on the make and out for favours and contracts.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Smells like the FAI scandal.

That's almost forgot about and Delaney has succeeded in dragging it out so long. Noone put in jail or punished there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That's harsh.

There are hundreds of employees working there on very average wages themselves . And they are all just as angry over this corruption and elitism . He was getting the equivalent of at least one workers entire annual salary EXTRA !

It's not a question of "think of them "as if they are children , they're people too, with families and bills and mortgages.

Nail Tubridy , Dee Forbes and anyone else who cooked the books and knew what was going on to the wall , but its not fair to blame ordinary RTE workers for just doing their jobs .

• AI versions of a defeated Tubsidy

Agreed and 99% new nothing about this and are probably more disgusted than anyone given paycuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Have to say that came across on the news last night and tonight ...they are either great actors or they were seething .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Maybe, one can dream, this will lead to a discussion about how one agency (who is making a nice profit) is supplying all their main "stars" on a contractor basis when in reality they are permanent employees.

Why have these few not been stomped on by Revenue

What bit in either of his statements led you to believe there were two sets of accounts?

Also, you might clarify if it’s RTE or Tubridy you are accusing of having two sets of accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Read that more like a hypothetical situation than a statement of facts

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Imagine some of the lower and average wage workers who panicked when cost cutting measures were brought in, or who had to take a pay cut?

I'd be fcuking fuming too.

He referenced the accounting treatment and mistakes made by rte, even though the mistake was his. The accounting treatment was the barter account outside the finance department. The transactions were hidden from the finance dept.

Persons within RTE were responsible, not everyone in RTE as its now emerged. Most were oblivious but now shocked and disgusted.

Imagine if you were asked to take a 10% cut in salary because times are tough and then discover your colleague received a 10% payrise, how would you feel? You'd be thinking was my paycut used to fund my colleagues payrise? And this is exactly how people in RTE must now feel, that they were taking a hit so Tubridys massive salary can be paid or even increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

yes you are scum, and you should be banned from public life for ever.

I was just explain the connection that Tubs has to FF.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

What mistake did Tubridy make?

Having a barter system in no way implies that there was two sets of accounts.

You’re making very serious allegations without anything to back them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Surely the payments were negotiated by Tubridy and or his agent with RTE top brass. It’s totally unbelievable that Tubridy had no knowledge or exactly why they had to be kept secret. He must think we’re idiots ( of course he does) . He’s done nothing illegal , but he has a&€t on his RTE colleagues who had to take cuts to modest wages, from a great height. He really must be motivated by money. I wouldn’t know, but lve often heard the more money you have, the more you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Like most businesses and management these days… they demand the staff follow policies, regulations etc. any oversights, discrepancies or deviations and trouble…

but Tubridy and bosses can be up to this craic and nobody will I suspect at least at the top level will be be forced to take any responsibility….

bad enough in a private organisation but in an organisation funded by public money.

politicians don’t have the stones, the interest or integrity….

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement