Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

There's room for everyone, don't we supply jobs for ye in Galway as well so ye can send money back to mayo to pay for tickets for the relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Plenty a Mayo person stood on the top of Croagh Patrick and followed the road to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

I hear every floor is booked up in Knocknacarra this weekend! Plenty staying on for the week after too, gardens are getting out of control with this sun + showers weather so work aplenty

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mjp

Thinking we need mc daid in midfield rather than hb for his power and athleticism to break through the lines of mayo defence and create scores for others.

All being well would like to see mc hugh in for burke from team named with mc hugh slotting into hb line mc daid and Maher in midfield with Conroy pushing forward to hf line at expense of burke and play Walsh and comer in ff line.

Mc hugh is hugely important to us in sitting back in that double sweeper with Daly in front of fb line. Whilst hernon was good against Westmeath and had difficult day out against Armagh I would worry whether he has played enough times for us in this setup to be comfortable in knowing the job for Sunday .

Win here will give great confidence for us going into q final irrespective of who were drawn against.

Are there parking charges in Westside Shopping Centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I might save you a clamp and an hour on your return home. If you park in Tesco Knocknacarra it's the slighty shorter walk to Pearse Stadium with no risk of a clamp. Then after you get back to the car go to Oldfield/Clybaun Road and straight up to Bushy Park Lawns it'll bring you to opposite Glenlo Abbey. Turn right there and you've beat an hour worth of tailback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭littlevillage

The highs are high, but sure the lows are low too boyo.

Anyway fairly positive all round lads (as a few predicted).

C'mon Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Is stand designated seats or first come basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Feel we've left Tipp in this when we should have a more comfortable lead. Hopefully they continue the intensity but convert their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

**** me we make some hard work of games where we dominate.

Experienced lads like GMac overplaying the ball to give away a soft goal.

18 wides.

Lot of work to do in the next 2 weeks to be competitive with Limerick.

From the ashes, rises a monster.

Gaillimh Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

The double dream is still alive too 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

Not pretty but we'll take it. They showed a bit of bottle when it got back to one, which they wouldn't be known for. Poor enough standard but the cross wind made a mess of the game at the same time. Had we taken the goal chances it would've been comfortable enough.

Gaelic Ground fan experience is very good altogether

Another weekend out anyway. One down one to go..

Good result with a lot of improvement there but can't fault the lads work ethic. Shefflin also made good substitutions when needed. Monaghan steadied the ship off the bench after a few bad performances.

Jesus though Eanna Murphy is on a woeful run of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Silly question but I presume the match is completely sold out? ( football)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Murphy? Why? One bad puckout to Callinan apart, I can't recall him doing too much wrong. Varied his restarts quite well. Goal was GMacs fault, his age-old habit of carrying the ball into contact and getting dispossessed.

Tactically, at last we were spot-on. I doubt Cathal crossed the half-way line twice in the match. Whelo MOTM? I thought Daithi was magnificent, was everywhere he had to be and where he was needed. Popped up with a point too. Absolute legend.

Whelan obvious candidate but we had some massive performances. Daithí as you said was phenomenal.

C. Mannion for me gave a masterclass in the sweeper role. Always available for the short handpsss to take pressure of the backs, onto loose balls and read the game perfectly. My MOTM.

Linnane has brought an intensity we badly needed in the half back line. Lads like him buzzing all over the place getting hurls/hands/feet in to break up play are invaluable.

Fahy was a revelation. Reminds me of Johhny Glynn. Big man but great stick work. If he stuck the guilt edged 1-1 he missed he would of probably got MOTM. Joseph Cooney put in another big shift.

Other than Concannon all the other forwards played there part. K. Cooney didn't score (missed a couple of easy ones) but he kept them busy won a few frees and set up a few scores. We needed extra bite up front and he has added that from last year.

Niland goes through games unnoticed but he is so vital to Galway. Rock on frees (even in difficult conditions like yesterday) gets on a lot of ball and uses it very well.

Shooting and periods of brain dead play aside delighted we move on to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mjp

Have to agree re whelo for motm. Was such a poor game that difficult to pick out anyone for motm. He didn't get a touch on the ball in first 20 mins and whilst won lot of balls between that and ht against barett he fluffed a lot of the possessions.Apart from the goal at start of 2nd half he didn't have huge influence on rest of half by the standards we have seen from him over the years. Kevin Cooney battled well at 14 and won a huge amount of ball. Very disappointed in Brian concannon and hasn't fired much this season. Move out to hf line doesn't suit his game but Cooney is a better foil for whelan inside. Cianan fahy battled very well when consider he was up against Ronan Maher. Be interesting how we setup against limerick as they won't allow cathal mannion the freedom he got yesterday and will try pick our defence apart. Grealish and Morrissey in the corners had great games and won their battles against tipp forwards.

• Advertisement

Murphy has been very poor this year. I don't know how anybody could dispute that. He nearly beat Limerick on his own last year and you could make an honest argument that maybe only a couple of goals he's conceded in the championship so far were beyond him saving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

The defence was good yesterday but I don't know how they picked anyone from the forwards as MOTM. It was a poor display of finishing. Whelan missed two goal chances and a tap over point, Fahy missed a sitter, Cooney and Niland had some bad wides. We still had the same gameplan of either pumping it long or going for long range scores. We missed more long range than we scored and the long ball worked only because Tipp were absolutely dreadful. The same tactics against Limerick and we'll get destroyed.

The one thing we did very well yesterday was our off the shoulder support play and popping a quick hand pass. It was very slick but unfortunately it was inevitably followed by a speculative shot on goal when a low ball in front of any of our forwards would have left Tipp at 6's and 7's.

Cathal Mannion did well sweeping but I don't think he sweeps deep enough to cover in front of Gillane so that pass will still be on. GMAC will need to pick up Flanagan which will mean he gets pulled out of the FF position. I think Grealish is tenacious enough to give Gillane bother but Cathal will need to be close at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

monaghan man of the match for me………came on and won that game for Galway.

Free ticket if anyone stuck pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

Very disappointing result but once comer was gone for the 2nd half and we had no target against the wind it was gonna be a huge task.

Tierney really should have buried that goal chance too but fair play to mayo no3 very composed when he got his chance and that was the difference in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I just cannot see what Ian Burke brings to that team, flatters to deceive, when I saw Comer wasn't starting second half I knew we were up against it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Telegraphed the goal chance. Goalie knew exactly where he was going. Should have sidestepped him.

I think Finnerty isn't county level either. Brought nothing to the game, not even some drive. Panicked and turned over a ball which cost us a point. Looks laboured even running.

Alot of lads didn't show up today, Heaney, Hernon, Tierney, Burke, Walsh. You can't have that many underperform for 70mins and expect to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

No Comer, no chance. Galway couldve won that if they scored a bit more in to the first half but Comer looked out for next week. Not a hope they'd win without him next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

The loss of molloy, silke and mchugh, finally caught up with us and plus Walsh having a bad year didn't help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Two bad teams. Time to sell salthill and play football in tuam and hurling in ballinasloe. That wind only skewers results.

Advertisement