Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

@batman75 wrote: "I grew up in the era of Gay, Mike Murphy, Brian O'Farrell, John Bowman, Pat Kenny (Radio) and Gerry Ryan all consummate broadcasters of genuine intellectual depth. Now we have D'Arcy, O'Callaghan, Tubridy and Duffy jesus wept. How standards have plummeted."

Unfortunately, When there's a compulsory licence fee paid to RTE for anyone who wants to watch any television even if it is not RTE, then quality in RTE itself inevitably deteriorates over time. This will accelerate when the new broadcasting fee replacing the license comes into force as even those who don't watch TV will have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

So, one was the financial account and the second was the barter account.

I always understood barter to mean the exchange of goods or services, RTE seem to think that it includes the exchange of money too, is that correct?

A barter account is a common practice in advertising and marketing businesses where goods and services are traded through an intermediary company which charges a fee for its services.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Infoanon

A barter 'account ' has nothing to do with the set of Accounts that are audited / disclosed etc

Those accounts are more commonly referred to as the financial statements.

• As bartering is fully taxable per Revenue.ie, I’d love to get the low down on why it is used here in broadcasting. I’m sure I’m missing something, would love to get better informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Stop deflecting. Anyone reading this thread can see I've shown you multiple times evidence of two sets of accounts. The RTE Board have said they will bring the barter account within the finance account.

Barter account and finance account? How many accounts is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Bartering for a public broadcaster which is funded by the licence fee is much different from a private company.

This practice shouldn't be allowed at RTE.

Get a grip. Your mates Tubridy and NK are in deep doo-doo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

As much as I dislike both RTE and Tubridy and even though I am thoroughly enjoying this story and as much as I'd like to see them all gone, they won't get him on that. It would be extremely difficult to prove that tubridy is bringing RTE into disrepute because he holds a contract with RTE that RTE freely agreed to. The only person to whom that charge could stick it the person or people who signed and approved the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Probably too little too late, damage limitation all round..

Mr. Photo Op himself, we’ll see

• Registered Users Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You have completely misunderstood what they meant by that.

• Advertisement

Were the Tubridy transactions in the barter account known to the Board or finance department before this week?

A simple yes or no will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Exactly - it's not a barter, its a sale - here's a few hundred grand and in exchange we get "free" advertising

I really hope Revenue are watching all this with glee

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Ah no, that referendum deserved to be rejected as they were over reaching imo.

Having power to call anyone, refuse the possibility of bringing in legal representation while still maintaining this Dail privilege made it a very lob sided proposal.

From past experience of those committees, they don’t exactly stay within the terms of those committees and the only recourse is the Committee of Members Interests…..maybe Angela Kerins legal case will finally be resolved and give the rest of us plebs some recourse from a parliament who can say anything they like and backed up by taxpayers money to keep the status quo.

They were certainly known to the finance department, who so you think raised the credit note for Renault for example, I've already explained why it's nonsense to assume the board are aware of every small transaction.

Is it normal for companies to bounce between auditing companies, or is there anything to be read into the fact Deloitte audited their 2020 accounts and they are now using Grant Thorton?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

It's considered good practice to rotate auditors

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

His actions or actions that he was and is a party to have fright the organization into disrepute. That is not difficult to prove, it’s obvious.

Whether they have a get out clause in their contact on this only they know, but knowing RTÉ I suspect not.

But they should be made aware of 100's of thousands of euros deals made especially when RTE are guaranteeing the payment (for some mad reason)

Ah right, a quick Google returned this.

The better your auditor knows your organisation, the easier the process can be – but in some cases, that comes at the cost of objectivity and challenge. Some people would say the best approach is to change your auditor on a regular basis, avoiding any over-familiarity by starting from scratch each time.

You are taking the total amount over a number of years, in any one year its 75k,in the context of 330m it's immaterial

• Advertisement

It is hard to prove. As much as it pains me to say it, performing as agreed in the contract you have with RTE cannot, by definition, be considered disreputable (in the eyes of the organisation).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

It was an arrangement made with the total amount in mind, not some yearly agreement - RTE agreed to underwrite the total amount, that isn't written off by some lowly finance guy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,555 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Have we any idea how this came to light in the first instance?

I'm struggling to understand the flow of money and credit so perhaps someone can explain what I'm getting wrong. Renault paid sponsorship+X and in exchange for that they got their sponsorship, appearances from Ryan Tubridy, and a credit note to the value of X for advertising. RTE paid X to Ryan Tubridy on top of his declared fee.

It seems to me that this is a terrible deal for RTE, for playing middleman they effectively gave away advertising to the value of X for nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It was obviously a covert way of not cutting Ryan's salary, but one that allowed them to publish a lower baseline rate for the optics.

Tubridy, either directly via his agent is a party to this.

He tried unsuccessfully to distance himself from this yesterday and backfired. He tried again today with a revised “sorry” but it has also backfired.

If you really think he is entirely innocent here, you are in a very smell minority. Your attempts at deflection are frankly, pathetic. You gave variously tried hurling personal abuse at me and others for stating the truth, and are pedaling the “spreading misinformation’ line ad nauseum when the only people spreading misinformation on here are those pretending he’s done nothing wrong.

I’ve said for years the man is a fraud and a hypocrite and this carefully crafted “kindness” mantra was complete and utter 💩, designed to make him appear as some sort of caring, common man, when he is nothing of the sort.

Everything I say about the man I say with personal experience of the individual. I’ve been in his company more than once (professionally and socially). We are the same age and of similar backgrounds. We have many common acquaintances. We would be familiar enough with one another that were we to pass one another on a busy street there would be an acknowledgment or a nod etc., but we wouldn’t stop to chat. We’re not friends by any means, but I would wager I know him better than most of the people commenting on here - be that positively or negatively.

I have rarely if ever talked about the things he had done or that I’m aware of privately. I almost exclusively posted about his self-contradictions where he let the mark slip on his radio show…..which he did on almost daily basis.

He has shown himself this week alone to be a lying, narcissistic, greedy, shallow, chancer, hypocrite, and a fraud.

And yet, here you and your jolly chums are out deflecting, engaging in whataboutery, hurling insults st people who calling out his behaviour. It’s very strange.

I get that, but in this operation did it result in RTE giving away advertising for nothing that could have been sold? If that's the case, them the cost of this affair effectively doubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes, Alan Kelly made that point very strongly on the news. He said it should be the end of these ‘stars’ working as self employed contractors and that they should all be on the RTE payroll.

Why indeed hasn’t the Revenue acted on this?

• Advertisement

When the contract was not authorized by or even known about by the board it is, yes.

Just because he has a contract doesn’t mean it’s not bringing the company into disrepute. Why do you think Dee Forbes was suspended? By your logic there’s a contract so nothing wrong here - there is, a lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement