Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If we have to split hairs and shift the goalposts of the users argument then I've made my point. Now we wring hands over which 1500 m event. 🙃

Why bother with the fallacies? 'every true scot thinks your argument is nonsense.'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Yes, exactly.

Mo Farah holds every British record from 1500m to Marathon and was renowned for his sprint finish.

Here he is sprinting 100m against heavyweight boxer Anthony Joshua who is not a world class sprinter (even if he was female)

I do not. I stand by my posts on the matter and am confident I have shown women that meet world championship 2023 qualifications by definition have met the male championship standards of previous years.

You previously asked me to show my claims to be true with facts and actual sources, which I did, so now I ask you to do the same.

I did. Simply looking at one male competitors times (Bruce Jenner), we can see that his 1500 m time for the 1976 olympics was slower than the 2023 minimum time for women to qualify for their 1500 m. If he qualified for the mens, and their times are faster than the mens, the logical deduction is right there, they qualify as world standard for men as defined in 1976. We've shown that the definition of world standard is shifting, and not absolute.

• Advertisement

No you didn't.

Bruce Jenner did not qualify to compete in the 1500m, he qualified to compete in decathlon.

His 1500m time would not have qualified him to compete in the female 1500m in 1976 or in 2023 or in any other year.

Similarly Mo Farah would not have qualified to compete in the 100m Olympic female division in any year, nor in javelin, Shot putt, boxing, swimming or any other discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Wouldn't that be a general thing however that would effect the standard in sports for both sexes? Down to primarily sports science and advances in training across the board?

It's a fairly straightforward fact that in general males that have gone through puberty hold significant physical advantages over females who have gone through puberty. Not just in testosterone levels but in certain physical aspects. Never mind the fact that biological males, even after 'transitioning' don't have to deal with periods and/or childbirth. Which in itself is a significant advantage in many aspects of life and sport.

There are many out there who don't seem to want to accept these very basic logical facts and would prefer instead to see women's sport eroded to the point that women may decide to no longer compete as if more biological males compete their chances of success are severely curtailed, never mind the risk to their lives if punching, kicking or physical interactions occur.

I don't really understand the rush for men to invade women's sport or indeed the cheerleading for it in general.

No doubt there's gonna be plenty what aboutery and deflections to a post like this as there have been in the thread but the facts above are irrefutable.

The decathlon standard for qualifying is 8460 points over 10 events. Here are the points scoring tables, you add up the points scored over each of the 10 events to meet the qualifying standard.

https://worldathletics.org/download/download?filename=9959ae97-2760-4406-a467-67a322776100.pdf&urlslug=World%2520Athletics%2520Scoring%2520Tables%2520of%2520Athletics%2520-%2520Outdoor%2520

1500m as a stand-alone time is completely irrelevant.

Wouldn't that be a general thing however that would effect the standard in sports for both sexes? Down to primarily sports science and advances in training across the board?

Sure. I pointed that out more or less when I posted the image of Jenner's times and scores, I said: "I wouldn't want to directly compare the state of competition in '76 with '23 for all host of reasons though either (Fallsbury flops, equipment changes, rules changes, and other paradigm shifts, etc)."

It's a fairly straightforward fact that in general males that have gone through puberty hold significant physical advantages over females who have gone through puberty. Not just in testosterone levels but in certain physical aspects. Never mind the fact that biological males, even after 'transitioning' don't have to deal with periods. Which in itself is a significant advantage in many aspects of life and sport.

That is true in general, and again, these generalities do not address the exceptions to the generality. Female athletes on various forms of contraceptives or that have had procedures like hysterectomies wouldn't deal with periods, either. But you have dismissed this as a whataboutery or deflection so I will assume you were hoping to hear an echo.

There are many out there who don't seem to want to accept these very basic logical facts and would prefer instead to see women's sport eroded to the point that women may decide to no longer compete as if more biological males compete their chances of success are severely curtailed, never mind the risk to their lives if punching, kicking or physical interactions occur.

Like who? Nobody here that I am aware of. Unless @y0ssar1an22 was being completely serious just now that is.

I don't really understand the rush for men to invade women's sport or indeed the cheerleading for it in general.

I don't understand the rush to ban trans girls from sport when in some states with bans there's only as few as 6 girls that are trans competition in sport. It's dumb and it's far from an 'invasion' or the end of biological girls competition in sports, not over 6 girls in 1 state.

If you agree with the premises that I have outlined above then surely 6 is 6 too many?

• Advertisement

No, I don't. The subject is far more grayscale than that I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's not a ban from sport either, it's being told to compete in the correct category for their sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,925 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

its worth a discussion. if there aint no biological advantage to being a male, do away with gender in sports and just have all folk compete against each other.

Its not really.

It's a fairly straightforward set of facts.

Those 6 biological men have taken the places of biological female in those events and as such utilised all of their physical advantages over the 6 biological females in doing so. Were another 100 biological men to suddenly decide to identify as female - which can and is happening, then to compete in female sports you end up with females losing out. Is this something you would condone?

If the trans folks want to compete in sport let them compete against each other and forget about impinging on the rights of females or indeed males.

The is of course the crux of the matter.

If someone is of the opinion that men and women are equal in general when it comes to physical ability and physical traits (which is complete nonsense) there's little point having seperate categorisations in the first instance.

Who are the losers if that happens - the women. I really don't know why this fact is so difficult to grasp by some.

If a person cannot/willnot/refuses to accept or acknowledge these very basic facts there really is no point in engagement.

We are already seeing trans plaintiffs move cases forward in the courts arguing otherwise, for example:

In this case, West Virginia's law was challenged by a 12-year-old middle school transgender girl named Becky Pepper-Jackson, who has lived as a girl since fourth grade, according to court papers. Briefs in her case say she is now receiving "puberty-delaying treatment and estrogen hormone therapy," so she "has not experienced and will not experience endogenous puberty." That means she will not experience any of the physiological characteristics of puberty experienced by typical boys, and will instead develop "physiological characteristics consistent with hormonal puberty of typical girls."

According to her lawyers, she has been on the girls' track and field teams for the past three, going on four, sports seasons, "harming no one." Indeed, her lawyers say she was "welcomed by teammates and coaches" and "has not had any problems with children on other schools' teams."

Becky's lawyers brought what is called an "as applied" challenge to the West Virginia law as it affects her. So far, she is the only transgender girl identified by either side as wanting to play on a girls team. Nonetheless, federal District Court Judge Joseph Goodwin, after initially blocking the law, allowed it to go into effect after full briefing in the case.

"While some females may be able to outperform some males, it is generally accepted that, on average, males outperform females athletically because of inherent physical differences between the sexes," he wrote. "This is not an overbroad generalization, but rather a general principle that realistically reflects the average physical differences between the sexes."

The ACLU, Lambda Legal and private lawyers representing Becky and her mother appealed the ruling and won a preliminary order from the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals that precludes the law being enforced while the appellate court considers her case.

Consider the inverse situation where a girl like Becky Pepper-Jackson who doesn't undergo male puberty, if they were a boxer or a wrestler, the law would compel them onto the boy's team, to be wrestled by post-pubescent boys (as we've covered extensively on this thread, the "obvious" differentiation in the competitors physical characteristics and strengths would, in general, be acutely likely to result in serious injury that might "risk lives"), or to retire from the sport, effecting a ban from the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,879 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Stop interacting with him. You're all wasting your time.

Those 6 biological men

Where did I say they were biological men, or male, or even adults? I think you're jumping the gun a bit.

If someone is of the opinion that men and women are equal in general when it comes to physical ability and physical traits

If you're implying that's my position you don't understand my position. As I have said repeatedly, generalities don't prove the exceptions. I do not in principle disagree that in general men and women are not physically equal, the menstrual cycle aforementioned is a prime exemplar for that. But it has not been my argument to contest otherwise.

• Advertisement

would you let becky join the US armed forces at 12?

You stated there were 6 girls that were trans competing in sport in a particular state. Seeing as the thread is about transgender men competing in womens sport I made the logical assumption that these were biological men taking the place of biological females in a female category.

There's no gun to be jumped here. That's essentially what the thread is about. If you are introducing some more whataboutery - fine. But lets call a spade a spade.

If your general opion is that men and women are NOT equal in biological makeup and physical capabilities you simply cannot hold the standpoint that biological men should compete against biological females. It make zero sense.

Your are tieing yourself up in knots with the amout of negatives and double negatives in that statement.

You're going around in circles on this thread and need to take a long hard look at the types of things you are condoning.

Just to reduce the amount of bits added to this thread.

What is your position on biological males competing with biological females in sport?

It wasn't that logical actually to equate "girls" to "men." Unless you're trying to assert that high school boys are all men in the eyes of the law?

I am basing it on the thread title.

Were these 6 people born biological male or female? (The site you linked to is Geo Locked)

If your general opion is that men and women are NOT equal in biological makeup and physical capabilities you simply cannot hold the standpoint that biological men should compete against biological females. It make zero sense.

This is absolutist nonsense. Compete at what? In all sports or just some sports? Esports, Motorsports, Gunsports, those physical differences don't matter? But this overly broad argument says there is zero sense and letting men race cars against women, play apex legends or Starcraft against men, etc.

Your are tieing yourself up in knots with the amout of negatives and double negatives in that statement.

I'm not tying myself up in anything, what don't you understand about my statement?

You're going around in circles on this thread and need to take a long hard look at the types of things you are condoning.

What, exactly are you accusing me of condoning?

What is your position on biological males competing with biological females in sport?

We've been discussing that very thing.

I am basing it on the thread title.

Therefore not very logical, no. You can google the headline and find a mirror I imagine.

You are conding biological males competing with biological females in the same categories in sport - which is wrong.

Look, if you want to continue with the whataboutery and being obtuse - fire away. I frankly couldn't give a damn.

You are further trying to muddy the waters when challanged on your viewpoints.

• Advertisement

At 12? Seems extreme Y0ss, unless, o'course, alien invasion or total war were declared.

Advertisement