Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,989 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just stop will you, there would be a nod 🤣

You clearly have a personal vendetta, I couldn't care less about the fella one way or the other i just hate the pile ons and the hyperbole and the misinformation. It was the same with Sean Fitzpatrick there was a thread exactly like this, people posting about how he would be locked up for life etc, he wasn't, lot of misinformed posters on that thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

RTE does seem to be pretty rotten. The amount of nepotism alone, compared to say, the BBC.

talking to people who work there, the egos of some of the “celebrities” seem to be off the charts. I have been told of “stars” being protected from damaging stories emerging by sacrificing some underling to the newspapers instead.

It will be interesting what else is revealed and if anyone else is implicated in under the table payments.

please, please, please let Joe Duffy be involved!

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Revenue have been saying for years that they were going to examine this - from memory at least a decade, but haven’t. Why? I have no idea. I assume laziness or incompetence or some mixture of both. They are civil servants after all.

Oh so I’m lying? Ok. Fair enough. If that’s what you think knock yourself out.

I notice once again that rather than actually analyze my post point by point you turn to deflection.

Intriguing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Renault pays RTE x amount, in exchange they get the equivalent free advertising euro amount, this is used to top up Ryan's salary for a few personal appearances per year whilst RTE only declare his base salary from RTE

Renault drop out after a year but RTE have guaranteed the 5 year agreement

RTE declare his earnings minus the Renault top up then never really materialised

RTE have to then pay a dividend on top of what Renault paid to NKM for their "services"

Ryan and NKM have won the jackpot and Joe Public have lost out on hundreds of thousands for programming

• Registered Users Posts: 33,478 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I really hope it brings Revenue into taking a closer look.

It's a shambles that these rte employees for want of a better word can provide their service as contractors and allow them to tax dodge.

It must end.

I'm sure its hard for Joe and D'Arcy and the like to discuss this, cos they know everyone is thinking "sure you're on the same gravy train, ya hypocrite"

There’s one poster on here who knows me who can verify what I’ve said in that post. I have no reason to lie; unlike Tubs it’s not something I do frequently.

I really don’t care whether you believe me or not, I’m not the one out preaching kindness and “we’re all in this together” and telling people to tighten their belts whilst lining my pockets. But again, continue your deflection. Have you stopped with the insults that you were throwing out earlier now or will you return to those as well later?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Dee was on the other side of the table - the RTE side, it's an important difference. In my previous post I did say that the RTE person or people that agreed to this arrangement could be disciplined.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the back of him as a public figure or "star" permanently too, but I don't think it will be via that route. Sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,989 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Analyze your post point by point? It's just an attack on him and apparently you have been banned from other forums because of it, what's to Analyze?

• Advertisement

So if I call out someone for being a fraud I have a vendetta against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,288 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did he actually do anything for Renault in the subsequent years I wonder?

If not he was paid this topup for no extra work purely because RTE hae guaranteed his contract after Renault dropped out?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I have friends who can't bring me on golf days because it MIGHT seem inappropriate.

My own groomsman can't bring me to a bloody round of golf and this fu(ker gets 350k over a few years???

The can fu(k right off. I'm, honestly, massively annoyed at this

So in talhat case, for the year that Renault were in, RTE effectively gave away advertising slots (in the form of credit) for nothing. Lol. What a shitshow.

I was banned from one - not others (plural).

What was I banned for? For repeating comments he said on air whilst pointing out the contradictions in these statements and his behaviour.

You’re right, on reflection that’s far worse than underhandedly siphoning funds from the public purse whilst shouting from the rooftops “look at me, I took a pay cut” when in reality I didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He's not an employee of RTE. He's an outside contractor with his own production company. The fact that his wages are funded in part by the license fee is not really relevant here. He needs a new PR consultant, that's for sure. The best advice would be to issue o comment whatsoever at this stage seeing as this is an issue of internal governance at RTE. Tubs has not broken any law presuming the taxman is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Will he do an Enoch Burke and picket Montrose in protest for being put out to grass for at least a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I thought they said PWC first identified it during the audit and Grant Thornton were called in to investigate. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not a fan but in fairness they had Dee Forbes and she was, by the news this week , just telling them porkies. At least he is demanding answers .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Seeing as many of his defenders repeatedly point to my threadban from the Tubridy Show as some sort of manufactured evidence that I’m some sort of deviant with a personal vendetta against the man, here is the post I was banned for:

I’ll let people decide for themselves whether they think that deserves a permanent ban or not.

For months on end I was effectively the only poster in the thread. My posts almost always consisted of calling out Tubs and his hypocrisy by simply quoting what he said himself. He didn’t need me to comment, he hung himself mostly.

Then curiously, and coincidentally at the same time (just a coincidence of course), a new bunch of posters appeared who were gushing in their praise for The Toyman how kind he was, how Incredible he was, how lucky we were to have him etc. etc. I remain steadfast in my belief this was organized and in response to my posts and those of others calling out his bull.

The worst part was they didn’t even listen to the show as was evidenced by the fact that their posts came later in the day - almost always after some puff piece appeared in the tabloids talking about something said in the show. For those who don’t know btw, these puff pieces are largely written by man’s agency and supplied to the papers. They’re filler content, but take up space on the pages and the internet so they get published.

My “crime” was to call this out in the above post.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Can't really see him waltzing back into rte for several reasons...staff and union probably hate him now, massive reputation damage to rte which will take years to recover from and complete hypocrisy when it comes to calling people to account.

This is going to hit RTE in the pocket with loss of licence money, advertisers and government funding.

The ordinary staff will be forced to take more cuts and the idea that the guy who played a part can come back on a huge salary is not credible.

RTE will have to cut him loose or sink with him.

Post edited by tobefrank321 on

• I heard of someone who is long retired from Revenue, corrupt as fook, a figure of fear & repulsion. There are good people working there, but goodness knows what lies in the murky depths.

• I think you’re right about his agent/advisor being cr@p and making things even worse. No doubt said agency would have its mega-defenders.

I’m sure there are good people - I have an uncle who was a Tax Sherriff and later a forensic accountant of some sort attached to CAB.

But we’ve all heard the stories from all parts of the civil service. The system wears most (not all) down.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

I do think that’s a real possibility here. He will be hated and despised by many of not most of the staff there after these revelations, and rightly so given his hypocrisy and lies.

I don't see a way back as RTE will jettison him as that risks pulling the whole edifice down.

What will be interesting is the mechanism they use to end their contract.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

For me perspective is important, Tubridy hasn't killed anyone, committed sexual assault or any heinous crime.

The world is littered with people who have committed financial misdemeanours.

Nevertheless it's fairly obvious he's not completely innocent here. To say he's not aware of the financial package negotiated for him is naive. He knows what's going on. His defense tweets smack of Haughey's claims that he never concerned himself with the management of his finances.

His hypocrisy is very jarring. The public deserve a thorough investigation. To any poster saying we're using this because we're anti Tubridy. I promise you I'm not. If Kathryn Thomas, Joe Puffy, Miriam O'Callaghan, John Creedon, Ray D'Arcy or any other RTE staff member have done similar, I'll equally condemn their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

The system wears most down but few are corrupt... just fed up .

And this sort of carry on just makes it worse.

Would be a lot of ordinary people in RTE very angry tonight .

• Advertisement

Right folks, have to go to sleep, it’s been a long day, and unlike some here (I suspect) I’m not being paid to comment.

Goodnight all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement