Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

What do you think will happen him as a matter of interest? Will he eventually come back on air?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Jeez who's getting paid to comment ?

Is that another sweetheart deal we are missing out on ?!🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bigroad

His PR agent's or his management agents possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Early retirement, he already indicated as such when he left The Late Late.

Post Covid he was already the victim of torrents of abuse on the street from loolahs because of his position on the vxccine, now this utter nothing-burger will be more fuel for the lunatics of this country to attack him over.

Ireland is unique in the world for how people who work for the national broadcaster are somehow perceived to be “public property.” You’d never see someone shrieking at David Attenborough in Tescos because he made a bad documentary, however the stars of RTE do have to deal with the same scrutiny.

For no fault of his own Tubridy has been subject to jeers from punters while he’s out and about, and now it will only intensify.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

These stupid Americanisms like 'nothing burger' are a real pain. We have enough language of our own to express ourselves without trying to appear hip with that utter BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

While I agree with you about the begrudgery , I don't as regards Tubridy and this carryon.

I'll leave it there because we have yet to hear the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭kyote00

At least this will get Rte away from constant stories about chatgpt and ai taking over….

Also implicated is whatever accountancy firm signed off the accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

no fault of his own? he is the biggest holier than thou sanctimonious FF twat in the country, on obscene amounts of money paid for in part by a ridiculous tv license collected by a gestapo like organization who ambush people in their homes and gawk in your windows to see if you have a telly. **** RTE and **** tubridy!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

So .... Ryan Tubridy has said he was not really aware of being paid 345K extra over the past 6 years .... he is also regretting he won't be on radio for the foreseeable ... it is all starting to make sense now ... why he left the Late Late ... I do not buy his statement that this did not cause him to make the decision to end his hosting of that ....

Sure .. as others said ... Tubbers did not kill, rape, abuse or burgle anyone ... but what he did showed enormous greed ... but who was wrong? Tubbers asked for more and got it .... Noel Kelly supported this and prob came up with idea to ask for more ... but Dee Forbes did a more serious wrongdoing here .... it is one thing for Tubbers and Kelly to ask ... but it is another more serious matter for Forbes to give and over-turn RTE policy specially for Tubbers ... Forbes could have said this was not possible due to company policy .... but she instead handed Tubbers what he asked for !!

I do not think we have heard the full story either ... more will come out ... and it will prove how innocent or guilty various parties are ... debate about the TV licence and how it is spent will intensify ... for years viewers are furious over the top heavy diet of cheap reality TV and/or the salaries of Tubbers and other presenters ...

Then ... there is the other side of Tubbers .... the Toy Show ... how he is viewed by children .... I have younger cousins and they think Tubbers is a form of Santa .... they idolise him ... look up to him ... get all excited when he comes on ... one of my cousins is convinced he is Santa's Irish distributor ... the reality is this image Tubbers cultivates comes at a price .. and prob that extra 345K was to do things like extra Toy Show promos and things like the Toy Show Unwrapped tasters done the evenings of the week of the Toy Show ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Could they be NK Stooges out to muddy the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Whether Tubs is a good or bad presenter is neither here nor there. The real problem is the dodgy accounting system and processes in RTE. How anyone could think that the barter account was kosher and above board is hard to fathom. Or that the accounting management team werent aware of it and additional bank accounts. Not buying that for a minute.

This is from the link posted earlier in the thread:

...In exchange for a commercial partner paying Mr Tubridy for €75,000 worth of services in 2020, RTÉ was to provide the commercial partner with a credit note for – typically - advertising for the same value...

Just using one 75k payment for reference, how exactly did the accounting work?

Say RTE billed the commercial partner the 75k (incl vat?) for some type of service. The partner pays RTE 75k for the invoice, deposited in a separate bank account.

Meanwhile NK/Tubs should invoice RTE for the presenters fees for 75k incl vat but did that happen? If it did, then vat account zero. RTE pays Tubs 75k. Bank account zero. Thats the bank and Revenue sorted.

If NK/Tubs didn't invoice RTE and RTE issues a credit, the vat will balance but then how do they explain where the 75k money came from?

If NK/Tubs did bill RTE and then RTE issues a credit note, their invoice and credit note cancel each other so vat liability is in credit. Also, if RTE issues a credit note then the partner company accounts has a problem too as they already paid the 75k. 😱😱😱😱

So did both RTE and NK/Tubs fail to issue any documentation? RTE just banked 75k from the partner company then paid it out to Tubs without any paperwork? The partner company also paid out 75k without paperwork for their records?

Also if Tubs didnt bill RTE for his 75k fees what about his vat liability? How does that work?

Sounds like a whole lotta mess 😂😂😂

Didn't the CFO in RTE change in 2020? Maybe the new guy brought in the new auditors. Serious questions need to be asked about the systems and processes in RTE if a separate bank account can operate as a slush fund for years and the previous CFO didnt know anything about it. Something fishy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

He'll be back on the radio soon ...his first business will be to read out a very care apology " to you,the listener" and how he should have been more careful.....

Then it'll be grand....

It's Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Like all the Sinn Fein supporters now you mean? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You’ve gone to some lengths to deflect there. Making a bad documentary is not an equivalence to what Tubs has done here.

As for tv personalities don’t get abused in other countries, what? They do.

Torrents of abuse? There’s been 1 (singular) documented confrontation - which btw the perpetrators recorded. And while I don’t approve of how they went about it it was hardly the worst abuse I’ve ever seen anyone receive in public in Dublin alone. I’ve been subjected to worse myself.

Then of course we have Tubs’ penchant to exaggerate. We had the story in the papers of when Tubs was verbally assaulted by a muscle bound 20-something man who called Ryan the F word that rhymes with “maggot”. Ryan then “bravely” confronted the man and told him to be kind or some other such made up nonsense designed to make him look good etc.

Except the “man” turned out to an approx. 10-14 year old child and Ryan’s confrontation involved him not actually stopping but saying “that’s not very nice is it” without breaking stride. How do I know this? Because the child recorded it and loaded it on Tik Tok.

He will undoubtedly be the subject of more public scrutiny after this. He will be the subject of whispers, jeers, and he’s probably going to be on the receiving end of “verbals”. But ultimately his own fault, and it’s all down to his own greed, lies, and hypocrisy. He has no-one to blame but himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Can't see Ryan ever coming back from this, he is now the personificiation of every thing thats wrong with official Ireland.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

What about the so called reality served up by RTE. In the last few years we have seen them embrace Covid, helping to terrify older people into becoming prisoners in their own homes, now we have the Nothing to see here message, concerning immigration

Virgin / Newstalk are nothing to write home about, but no worse than RTE / Pravda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭valoren

• Registered Users Posts: 33,473 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

According to the Indo, more investigations are ongoing, and they fear they might reveal further shady dealings.

What a great week! Could we possibly get rid of a few more 'stars'.

Nice to see Miriam Lord using a nickname I created for Tubs:

Some acknowledgment would have been nice, but you can’t have everything I guess….unless maybe you work for a certain talent agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

What are the actual figures here

is it 345k total

or 345k + the an assumed ~50% managment fee or is that included in the 345k?

Half a million sounds much worse then 345k as bad as that already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I reckon he is gone. And although I absolutely would not agree with it, the cancel culture of late sees people themselves so eager to be contrite that they start blurting out OTT apologies.

Some a the news coverage and commentary you’d swear RTE and Tubridy had broken the banks, similar to the banks collapse a few years back

yep, simple: folks insane appetite to over-egg situations to prop them up to silly and fake levels of shock

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Only know what Anton Savage was on about yesterday. Apparently it was over half a million.

Cost them more than if they'd just paid him direct.

Yeah it’s nothing really. It’s not like he lied and took money from the public purse. And it’s only half a million…..

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The situation is a few days old and you’re already labeling him a liar, which is a nasty label. A lie is a strict definition . Have you proof he lied about this? If not you should retract it.

They have one instance in one of the double

payments had a few attached of 80k - that’s where I am taking the ~50% just to be clear!

Potentially could be the Tip of the iceberg. Maybe the rest of the super talented top earners have similar deals. Maybe Dee Forbes and other managers funneled cash to themselves the same way.

This is absolutely a story - it makes it more controversial given the months they took to try bury it and tubs’ fake retirement.

It’s serious, Catherine Martin couldn’t get on air quick enough to call out how serious it was, Leo has also made damming comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

As current non podcast broadcasters go, I think Pat Kenny is the best there is in this country, but before he left RTE I think he was on 8/900K pa

Absolutely ridiculous money for any broadcaster in this sized market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bureau2009

At least Pat Kenny is outstanding in his field.

I COMPLETELY fail to see what is special about Ray D'arcy, Claire Byrne and George Lee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement