Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I agree that Labour are doing the right thing... for Labour. If they want to go back to a tit-for-tat round-robin with the Tories, getting your "turn" in power every 5 or 10 years, they're doing exactly what they should. If the belief is that the UK's best future lies in a close relationship with the EU up to and including rejoining, it's a terrible approach. UKIP managed to shift the window on EU discourse so much that pro-EU viewpoints became an extreme position. The Remain campaign and subsequent anti-Brexit discourse was based around two foundational approaches:

• Being out of the EU would be really bad
    • Being in the EU isn't that bad

It's an approach that didn't work in the referendum campaign, didn't work in the lead up to Article 50, didn't work prior to Johnson's ridiculous majority, and it won't work when Labour are in power. Until there are voices espousing, loudly, in public, a pro-EU argument (as opposed to an anti-Tory-Brexit viewpoint, which is the only thing we've heard from Labour), the window will not move from where UKIP shifted it to, and rejoin will stay an extremist position

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is rejoining the EU a realistic stand or possibility?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To win an election, you need the media behind you (or not vehemently against you) and the media owners in the UK are very anti-EU regulation.

Keeping quiet about rejoining the EU is the best approach!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Now? No. Just like Brexit itself wasn't a realistic possibility in 2006. It was made a possibility. Rejoining will not "just happen". Labour seem to be expecting other people to persuade the public that EU membership is a good idea, and when enough people believe it, then they'll row in behind the idea.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

First Lord of the Treasury. I think the First Lord of the Admiralty has been abolished

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not for some time. We need both parties to be at least somewhat pro-EU before the EU will entertain such a notion.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

My memory is failing me.

You are correct, I was thinking of the ship of state needing an admiral, but of course it needs a treasury in which to keep all that loot robbed from around the world.

Walpole as the first PM, but William Pitt the younger was the first PM of the UK, following the Acts of Union in in 1800.

All very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He is now seen as the first to hold that type of position.

Disraeli was the first to officially sign his name to a document as Prime Minister. It being an international treaty it's assumed it was to make clear he was a leader on par with the other signatories and clearly leader of the nation.

No.

It still can't be said out loud but realignment on the quite to help the UK economy is a realistic stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It was very obvious on the show that it was the ones who were evidently stupid and inarticulate that were still in favour of Brexit. The whole education thing and Brexit gets overlooked a little : there was a clear correlation between poorly educated people and the Leave vote. It was nearly always someone who could barely even string a sentence together spouting off UKIP slogans in vox pops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Clacton is also an interesting area. They had Douglas Carswell as MP and you can see by the audience they are mainly older people. The other interesting clip I heard was a gentleman saying that he knows and has seen migrants arriving and going straight to the benefits office to claim benefits. This went unchallenged by Bruce or anyone else so it is out there. We know it is sometimes the most deprived areas that would have gained the most from being in the EU that had the most distain for the EU. I can only shake my head how this happened, but changing it will most likely take the passing away of this generation and not them changing their minds. A sad state of affairs really.

Depends on the area. Plenty of the public school "rule Britannia" home counties types voted for it too. It like many things was lapped up by groups that live in bubbles whether that be your northern council estate in a "left behind" town or some Kentish granny worried about having to someday treat "coloured" people as equals and neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So, there is little advantage for Labour to go running with rejoining at this point. winning the GE is there only focus. Probably upsetting a few of the puritans. I do wish they were a bit more vocal about more cooperation but I expect that to be a reality after the GE.

I was reading an interesting article about how young people and those in better off jobs had left Clacton in their droves, leaving the place full of pensioners and many unemployed - hence one of the biggest Leave votes in England.

There's a theory that what united Red Wall voters and those in the southern counties in voting for Leave in 2016 and supporting Boris Johnson in 2019 was racism / xenophobia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A friend is from Bude in North Cornwall. They constantly complain about the flight of young people but will fight absolutely any attempts to build new houses in their area. They can't have it all. Net beneficiaries of EU membership I might add.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

That's not just Clacton that's all over England. That's how practically every English person I know describes their town/city.

Numbers play a part in this. Cities like Limerick and Galway are vital parts of the Irish cultural landscape but in the UK they are "small towns". So the UK had an utterly crazy amount of "left behind" cities that have been fed the idea that the EU is the font of their problems. It's like Irish politics being weighted too much towards the Roscrea's of the world

Throw in a lying right wing Tory press and utter chancers / spoofers like Johnson and Farage and the whole thing became a deadly cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

The UK parties and their electorate have to come to terms with accepting all of the 'Copenhagen conditions' including the full EU acquis.

No UK out-outs, no rebates, plain vanilla everything.

I addition the UK can expect to a demand for some extra concessions e.g. No new A50, a positive accept of the current EU agenda - "Fit for 55" "anti tax evasion", time limit for the sick UK economy being ready for the Euro (like 10years). Likely internal UK reforms needed too.

The EU did not punish the UK for the A50 and Brexit, but it will surely not necessarily be sweet or nice and allow a wild and rogue like state into the union.

Lars 😀

This isn't the problem. The problem is that people just aren't ready to go back in, regardless of the conditions. Let's set all this aside and assume the pre-referendum option was there, purely for the sake of argument. You'd have all of the risible guff about free movement and sovereignty rise up from the depths once again. If such a rejoin option existed and people voted for it, it'd be by a small margin.

We need a cultural change in how the UK sees Europe. It needs to be based on mutual respect, a desire to collaborate, trade and the navel gazing about the world wars needs to go. I think younger people here are going to be akin to the Brexiters in a few decades, fully aware that they've had their rights stolen from them by corrupt politicians and masses of older people who simply don't care about anything but themselves. I hope it doesn't take that long. I think we're talking 2030 at the earliest and even then, the rebate and other concessions are well and truly gone as you've said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

I fully agree the UK will not vote for a rejoin right now even on 'the old conditions'. 

But implying - as many do - that there will be some easy paths for the UK into parts of the EU e.g. like joining EFTA, the EEA or ... are as much unicorns and sunny uplands as is Brexit. This must be told to the UK electorate.

The UK is not ready to join the EU before most of the electorate recognises by heart, that the position as the 'sick man of Europe' is not sustainable.

And the EU is not ready to allow the UK to come substantially closer before this has clearly happened.

The EU has in the case of the UK patience to wait a looong time.

Brexit-UK is not any urgent problem for the EU. Ireland and NI are thriving. EU's focus is on many other and bigger problems. 

We in the EU have 6-9 countries that must be given some hope for an EU future - e.g. Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania, North Macedonia, Moldova, Ukraine and possibly even Georgia. EU relations to Kosovo and Serbia must be negotiated too. Who knows what happens in Belarus after 2030?

Otherwise these countries may seek too close relations to other global powers.

Lars 😀

Post edited by reslfj on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Hah,

You've never been to "the range" I take it ?

One particular looking incident I remember was during covid when you had to queue to get into shops, was lining up outside "the range" and waiting my turn. As I read the usual covid notices etc, i noticed that they were all "UK government " covid notices!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭yagan

https://www.ft.com/content/f930a3f4-804a-417c-8e8e-3b99a76e244b

The survey found that UK travel workers in the EU declined by nearly two-thirds, from 11,970 in 2017 — the last full year not impacted by the 2016 Brexit vote — to 3,700 in 2023, with 18 to 24-year-olds showing the sharpest fall.

With the cost of obtaining permits for a UK worker in France averaging £880, the number of catered holidays being offered in France by UK holiday companies has more than halved since 2017. The number employed in the French Alps over winter fell by more than 70 per cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Regarding Aldi and Lidl

Aldi have no stores in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The bottom line here is that, from the EU’s perspective, Brexit is over. It’s done. It’s dusted. It was painful; it was regrettable; but we dealt with it, and we now have a relationship with the UK — the TCA — that, broadly, we’re happy with.   There’s no appetite on the EU side to reopen the TCA; fine-tuning is all that’s on our agenda for the foreseeable future. As Lars points out, we’ve got bigger fish to fry — Russia, Ukraine, enlargement, climate change.

Plus, it doesn’t seem that those in the UK who are advocating more profound changes to the relationship have put a lot of thought into it. The discourse in the UK is mostly about what the UK needs in order to remediate the harms of Brexit within the parameters set by the fact of Brexit and the bipartisan commitment to not revisiting the basic decisions the UK made in the Brexit process. Having identified various things that could be done by way of harm minimisation, people go on to argue in a hopeful, optimistic kind of a way that these things are in the interests of the EU too so, naturally, the EU will agree to them.

Not at all. As already stated, the EU is happy with the current relationship. Anyone who wants to see that relationship change needs to start by asking not, what would be attractive to the UK?, but what would be attractive to the EU? What would be so hugely attractive to them that they would put time, effort and resources into reopening the TCA? If you’re not starting from there, you’re not setting the stage for a process that will attract the EU.

But there’s more; there’s the question of timing. The EU was deeply, deeply unimpressed with the political process by which the UK first made, and then implemented, its Brexit decision. There’s a recognition that that worked out very badly for the UK but, to be blunt, we don’t care about that. We don’t manage our relationship with third countries with the primary object of benefiting those third countries; we expect that to be their primary object, and we’re not going to take on responsibility for pursuing their objectives as well as our own.

So, “this worked out badly for the UK” is not a consideration that would lead us to engage in negotiations that are still driven by the UK’s dysfunctional political process. A change of government from Tory to Labour doesn’t to anything to remedy the UK’s political process. The impulse to Brexit was able to do so much damage to the UK because of the defective political process, but reaction go the harms resulting from Brexit, mediated through the same defective political process, isn’t necessarily going to work out much better. The EU has no interest in an oscillating relationship with the UK which has to be reopened every time the more Europhobic party and the less Europhobic party swap in and out of government. 

So, the point about timing: it’s too soon. We’ve had the action of Brexit. We’re now in the reaction against Brexit harms. That needs to be let pass. The UK needs to spend time constructing some kind of realistic, non-partisan appreciation of its place in the continent and in the world, and thinking about its relationship with Europe, and its international relations more generally, in the light of that understanding. This has to be an understanding that will last more than a term of government. That will then provide a background against which a discussion of moving on from the TCA will be possible, if it is then seen to be in the EU’s interests to move on from the TCA.

To be clear, I’m not saying that the UK needs to find a great national consensus in which almost everyone favours EU membership, or almost everyone does not. What the Brexit referendum showed was that a very significant proportion of the population favours EU membership, and that a very significant proportion does not. It’s entirely possible that that will be an enduring state of affairs in the UK. If so, the challenge is to accept that, and to construct an attitude to, and a relationship with, Europe that reflects and accommodates that reality.

This isn’t impossible; other countries have managed it. But it’s something the UK has to do, and something I think the EU will wait for before they will engage in any significant development of the UK/EU relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭walkonby

Highly speculative point, but in the event of rejoining the EU, everyone seems to agree the UK would not be given any special opt-outs, including from Schengen. But given that Ireland is not in Schengen (and assuming we still share a land border with the UK in this far-flung future) wouldn’t there be a strong case that the UK should get a Schengen opt-out due to its CTA with Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Ireland didn't join Schengen because the UK didn't join and the CTA was more important. Another UK opt out.

If the UK was joining the EU they could join Schengen and so could we.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The reason we are not in Schengen is so we can maintain the CTA with the UK, which is also not in Schengen. If, in the context of acceding to the EU, the UK were to join Schengen then the problem goes away; we wouldn't have to choose between Schengen and the CTA; we could have both.

We'd probably be one of the countries keen not to give the UK an exemption from the "join Schengen" rule; it's only the UK being out of Schengen that keeps us out.

Even better for us they would have to adopt the Euro.

Which is also probably one of the biggest stumbling bocks to rejoining. I'm sure the tabloids will be happy to add in some scaremongering about right hand drive cars or something as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pretty sure they'd get away with a commitment to join the Euro that is forever in the future. Though whether even that would be acceptable to them is another question.

Advertisement