Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

For some reason, I can’t link to the original Bloomberg site, but here’s a copy and paste of part of it

Harry spoke with multiple producers and production houses, these people said, to discuss possible shows. Along the way, Harry listened to various ideas from others but mostly stuck by his own — including one about childhood trauma. The concept: Harry would interview a procession of controversial guests, such as Vladimir Putin, Mark Zuckerberg and Donald Trump, about their early formative years and how those experiences resulted in the adults they are today. 

Harry also had an idea, the people said, for a show centered on fatherhood. Another one would have tackled major societal conversations episode by episode, ranging from climate change to religion. For the latter, Harry hoped to have Pope Francis on as a guest.

It must be odd to live in that alternative universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

What kind of a idiot would think he has that much clout that Putin, Trump et al would open up about childhood trauma with him? The pope sit down for a chat about religion?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

H&M did not do the Oprah interview to defend themselves. They did the Oprah interview to launch an attack on the RF. And to get their income stream plans rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Read past the headline. The headline said he wanted to do that. The text said differently.

In an intriguing turn of events, it has been revealed that Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, harboured ambitions to interview global figures such as Vladimir Putin, Donald Trump, and Mark Zuckerberg for a proposed Spotify podcast.

Note the didn't say he harboured ambitions to interview Mark Zuckerberg. I wonder why?

They didn't need to do an interview to launch their income stream. Their Netflix documentary & Book would have done as well if not better without doing the Oprah interview.

The attack was a rebuttal of all the lies that the British tabloids printed about them and the Royal Family or as they said ''The Firm'' did absolutely nothing about defending them. They were told to put up with the racism and lies to protect the rest of the RF. Sacrificial lambs.

• Advertisement

What is wrong with a show about 'fatherhood'. Too woke for you? What about climate change (Mary Robinson would be an ideal person for them to interview for that). Why do you think Pope Francis wouldn't agree to an interview?

The claim that Harry pitched these ideas to multiple producers and production houses suggests that Archewell gave Spotify the boot by the way. No wonder Simmons is upset with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

No, the Oprah interview was an attack on the RF. Simple as that. Come on, what do we tell children when another chlid is annoying them? "Ignore them and they will soon lose interest". H&M intentionally poked the hornets nest. They thought they could control the beast though.

I didnt watch the doc, but what was the book but another attack on the RF.

Sacrificial Lambs generally dont go and climb on the alter themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

They did the Oprah interview because they were angry. If they’d gotten their half in/out deal, if they got their security paid for, if their kids got their titles, if they got an income/expenses every year, if they got whatever it was they wanted then I fully reckon that the interview wouldn’t have happened at all because all those perks put in place for them could/would have been taken away. They are entitled and they were peeved that they had to, shock horror, make their own way like adults, that there were consequences financially for breaking away. They knew they couldn’t just go on Oprah and say the British Press were toxic and aggressive because, well, tell us something we don't know already. They had to pick something to give Oprah a scoop and the racism angle provided that scoop.

And let's not forget how Harry, who was involved with mental health charities and spoke of having therapy himself, was so flummoxed when his pregnant wife expressed suicidal ideation that the very best he could come up with was to tell her to get dressed up, slap on her make-up and accompany him to the theatre for a royal engagement.Whilst there, Meghan apparently cried throughout the performance when the lights went down.

Isn't it just miraculous that the mean press, who hounded her mercilessly, didn't snap and publish at least one photo of her teary face and ruined make-up? That not one theatre goer commented on this? That her gormless husband just sat beside her when she was so distraught?

Why, it beggars belief!

• Advertisement

Put yourself in Spotifys position. You’re going on an exuberent spending spree looking to sign up famous names/established podcasts. You bag Harry and Meghan and their agents negotiate a $20 million deal over three years. A couple of million signing bonus. Might get exclusive access to the family as a bonus or at a minimum a scoop into what went on surrounding Megxit etc. Then a few months later your new client is on telly saying he only signed a deal with you because his security was pulled and he needed to pay for it himself. You watch as they spill the tea, tea which you’d hoped could have been podcast on your platform. You also watch as they burn bridges with the family and that bonus exclusivity goes up in smoke and then when seeking to come up with content he wants Trump, Putin and even The Pope. I’d say once those three years were up they couldn’t wait to dump them.

Here we go again, and by this point I'm not sure if we're being dragged down the rabbit hole or pushed through the looking glass. Firstly, I don't have a problem with someone pitching a podcast on fatherhood, or climate change. I'm sure if I could be bothered, I'd probably find a variety of these subjects already in podcast format from which to choose. But like any podcast I listen to, I would try to pick someone who knows a bit about the subject. Frankly, if a Harry podcast were to tread the path already exhibited in Meghan's efforts, I wouldn't be able to listen to 75% of any podcast being devoted to "Harry's truth" about his upbringing by his father, or how we need to save the planet by travelling less - before any guest could get a word in edgeways.

The claim that Harry pitched these ideas to multiple producers and production houses suggests that Archewell gave Spotify the boot by the way. 

How on earth could anyone arrive at that conclusion? It's worth remembering that these discussions/pitches took place under the contract with Spotify - not an alternative broadcaster. Anyway, the article goes on to say...

The practicality of these ideas struck some people in the Harry-podcast cosmos as questionable at best, given that people like Putin and Zuckerberg rarely give wide-ranging interviews about the topics they’re passionate about — let alone about their upbringings and personal childhood traumas.

In any case, no podcast from Harry ever materialized.

QED

PS I did like the phrase "the Harry-podcast cosmos", it seemed very apt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

As if Mary Robinson would even be on their radar. More like climate change warrior and private jet user extraordinare Leonardo DiCaprio. I doubt he would want to be associated with them though.

Harry seems to have forgotten he no longer has access to world leaders and prominent people. No more seats at state dinners for him. I suppose after a lifetime of getting what he wants and everyone pandering to him, that might take a while to sink in.

Behind a paywall unfortunately. An interesting read, though. From the WSJ, no less

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

So providing tittle tattle about bust ups with his brother or how he lost his virginity and to whom, has exactly what got to do with writing wrongs about what the press wrote about him?

But oh no, Harry can do no wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm suprised Harry didnt also expect Mahatma Gandhi and Benito Mussolini to appear on his podcast.

It denies the tabloids the opportunity of raking all that stuff up to distract the public from the various court cases that Prince Harry is persuing againt mainly Murdock publications. The Sun, Murdock's publication (he also owns Wall Street Journal, New York Post, TMZ New Zealand, Sky Australia) is being sued for phone hacking by Prince Harry. I'd disregard anything you read in any of those newspapers because of this as they now have to resort to making stuff up to discredit Prince Harry.

Murdock's publication! What do you expect them to say bearing in mind that Prince Harry could bankrupt News Corp with his various court cases.

That comment explains a lot about where you are coming from.

• Advertisement

You are wrong actually. Meghan Markle and Mary Robinson are definately in the same orbit. One Young World summit in Manchester last year. Mary Robinson was in the front seats for Meghan's keynote speech.

Meghan also paid tribute to former President of Ireland Mary Robinson and referred to her as "one of the people I admire most". The former actress first met Mrs Robinson at a summit in Canada in 2016. Mrs Robinson was among the speakers at last night's summit, as was Sir Bob Geldof.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/meghan-markle-remembers-time-dublin-24939753

Post edited by valoren on

It's called "sarcasm". It may be the lowest form of wit, but it suits the context that Harry thinks he could get an illuminating insight into Donald Trump and his difficult childhood, especially when Donald has previously suggested Harry is “whipped” by Meghan and called for the Queen to remove the couple’s royal titles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I have found over the last few years that the most ardent Harry & Meaghan defenders are also ardent republicans, completely anti -British and anti-royal family.

Kinda like the enemy of my enemy is my friend kind of way, it's weird thinking.

Well, as you are an ardent monarchist I wouldn't expect you to think anything else and be completely anti-republican and anti anyone who doesnt think that the British Royal family are a cut about overone else just because of an accident of birth.

You need to read the original Bloomberg article which wanted to interview 'controversial' world leaders SUCH AS Donald Trump, Mark Zuckerberg and Putin. He could have had an interesting interview with for instance, Boris Johnson!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Appears I touched a nerve😂

I most certainly am not an ardent monarchist and couldn't care less if they disappeared tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

The absolute arrogance of Harry to think that any of those people would sit down with him and discuss their childhood trauma or anything else. Has any of them ever given a personal interview where they disuccsed anything other than their own propaganda/business? These are some of the biggest egos on the planet. Even if he was mentioning them as a "for instance" its still ridiculous in the extreme to pick those particular people as it is so far fetched and shows how utterly clueless he is at pitching ideas to execs.

I did read the original article. I'd venture to suggest that the "such as" references came from Harry, rather than be conjured out of thin air in the same way your reference to Boris Johnson has been. Boris wouldn't be an exemplar as a father figure, anyway. Hopefully, H&M will find the privacy they want - sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

It denies the tabloids the opportunity of raking all that stuff up to distract the public from the various court cases that Prince Harry is persuing againt mainly Murdock publications.

Really? So who knew about him losing his virginity, his frostbitten penis, how applying Elizabeth Arden 8 hr cream to it reminded him of his mother as soon as he smells it, the squabble with his brother etc? And of those who knew about it, who would have told the papers?

None of this information became public until Harry wrote his book. That for for money btw, not some desperate attempt to get ahead of the press.

Advertisement