Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Tubridy is done if its just him. His cultivated self-image was as a ceaselessly caring, compassionate, man-of-the-people. An act.

The only thing that will save him now is the coming expose of 4 or 5 more leading RTE figures- they won't be able to sack them all so it will be safety in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You are always the same when it comes to criticising people in 'hierarchy'. When the clerical abuse scandals were unfolding, you always put it down to a 'few bad eggs' and went quiet when it was more than a few and that the many many cover-ups and priest reassignments were carefully coordinated and managed. You wanted the church to handle it internally, yeah right.

Tubridy is another faker and he has been found out. His RTE pals should also face the full brunt of people's anger.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Probably some paperwork left visible at an opportune moment by somebody with a sense of justice who was quietly witnessing what was going on. Perhaps on board was an internal grey hat hacker whose focus was to gather evidence for what they heard to be at play. Probably ex employees or ex contractors. Beware the Ides of March

• Registered Users Posts: 55,454 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Cute hoorism is endemic in Ireland and where public money is involved. In rural areas we have skullduggery around planning permission and who gets HSE/County Council jobs. The South Dublin, commercial semi state and professional/politically connected brigade have bigger fish to fry though.

"Creativity" around reporting of pay of senior people is just the sort of thing you'd expect from RTE, aided by the likes of NKM, legal people and auditors not doing their job or turning a blind eye.

I'll be very surprised if Tubridy was the only one who was paid in this way. For him, we know that it has been going on for years. In situations like this, if something is not nipped in the bud immediately it becomes cultural and a go-to strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

apologies if already posted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The interim DG said it wasn't used for the other top 10 earners, time will tell of that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Some people in RTE accounting had to know what was going on but it must be very difficult to be a whistleblower when you have bills to pay or family responsibilities. Peop!e have been managed out of companies for speaking up.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think he's entitled to take as much time off as he pleases given that he's not a direct employee of RTE. I am assuming this. I don't know his exact status. Pat Kenny, for example, was an outside contractor with his own production company whom RTE hired to present radio and television programmes. This is the arrangement he currently has with Newstalk.Tubridy was being paid to present the Late Late Show which is off air for the summer months. I don't know if he takes a similarly lengthy break from the radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Advertisement

I’ve been saying this for years on boards. I’ve been called obsessed, mentally ill, the c-word, a psycho, a stalker, and much much more by the #kind supporters of The Toyman.

It must be so sad for them to find their Emperor has no clothes.

#PreachKindnessButDontPracticeIt

No worries. It's always 'tip the cap' to your betters for that lad. Nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Most people… who join an organisation, get told at the start, you’ll do xyz for us and we’ll pay you xxxxxx. An unambiguous statement. That becomes an agreement when contracts are signed.

I feel sorry for yet proud of the RTE staff. They can hold their heads high. Lots of stories emerging about many of them, them having hard times trying to get money for the basic supplies to just do their jobs.. a plethora of rostering and contract issues coming out of Montrose now.

looks like the rank and file have bonded and faced up and taken the gloves off as a result of this…more power to them, they have lots of support, the manglement has well and truly lost the dressing room. Of their employees and employers ( us ). Not enough political pressure or voices supporting staff mind you but can’t say we are surprised there…

as regards Tubridy, best thing is that whatever he gets up to next…. People just switch over, turn the dial, don’t engage, don’t comment, don’t watch don’t listen…

our Taoiseach I see on his twitter can have time to shîte on about LGBTQ issues in…. Uganda 😵‍💫 but the six weeks of tweets I’ve scanned he pays no reference to anything at all of the shady goings on at our state broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

You really are milking your disdain for him to bolster this up to sound as awful as can be.

The only nauseating thing is the likes a yourself and others trying to hype this up and sensationalize it as some horrific scandal.

• I’ve seen it first hand where I used to work. I opened a thread in AH “Who can you really trust?” with a litany of cases I had in mind. My experience is that about 8% of people are untrustworthy by nature, they live parasitically and are the instigators of corruption. People with a lot to lose perpetuate it.

You’re not the problem. There is no problem.

Yes yes...find your own words...point made 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Someone compared him to Putin earlier, I mean really , accepting extra pay and not telling everyone about it, when it is not your responsibility to publish your pay is up there with the crimes of a war criminal. How many of the people here would accept an extra few grand a year and say nothing of it? After all it's RTEs job to publish, not his.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

RTE: The Truth Matters.

So, many people have been criminalised as part of the drive by RTE to force the general public, who increasingly do not subscribe to that organisation, to fund them.

Members of the public are often compelled to fund RTE whether they avail of their "services" or not.

Does it not follow that some within RTE should now be criminalised for misusing said funds and deliberately deceiving the same public which is forced to pay them?

All the while clamoring for more public money. All the while styling themselves as a national moral authority, a protector and purveyor of The Truth.

I've never paid for a TV license because I always regarded RTE as a morally corrupt, wasteful, propaganda organ. I have never felt more vindicated.

Civil disobedience is sometimes required to drive positive change in a society, this is one instance.

I hope to see a critical mass refusing to pay the license and hence an end to this grotesque fraud and gluttony.

RTE: The Truth Matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

I've never really understood how many of the top ten are employed through a contract with their "company". I worked for a time in a semi-state and about eight or ten years ago there was a flurry of activity in the Finance Dept to "shake the tree", identify anyone working for us as a company under that sort of arrangement, and put them on an employee contract - thereby stopping them flushing their income through a company with all the benefits of a different tax regime. IIRC, the argument that Revenue had put to Finance was that if the majority (or maybe the totality) of the contractor's work was for one company, they were de facto an employee. That doesn't appear to be so in RTE. How come so

PS I am not a finance expert so am happy to be corrected

I wonder what Rory Coveney (RTE Strategy Director) knew about this "oversight". Maybe Simon could ask him.

I think he’s doing a fantastic job of destroying the illusion of the myth of the character he created himself actually.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

I know I’m not the problem. Perhaps my sarcasm was a little too subtle there…I must work on that.

but if you think Tubs isn’t in a mountain of 💩 right now then you’re as deluded as the man himself was when he issued his “nothing to do with me” reply last Thursday.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭hometruths

Then how it’s been handled has added to this. First we had NKM and Tubs come out with their two fingered unapologetic “nothing to do with me” messages, then a swift backtrack to #ContriteTubs and sad face “I did a bad thing but it’s really RTE’s fault” apology which also did more harm than good and raises even more questions. Even is his “apology” he refuses to take the blame, shifting it mostly onto RTÉ. He had a chance to save himself with a full apology, take the blame, offer to donate the money to charity etc., but no, “it’s not really my fault, it’s those bad eggs in RTÉ” . I don’t know who is scoring him, but they have judged this VERY badly from a PR perspective.

This 100%. If his initial reaction had been a bit more contrite, I think his chances of staying at RTE would have been far greater.

They obviously negotiated the contract together in the clear understanding the additional payments were a way to get around the requirement to publish his salary. For Tubridy to come out so quickly and shaft RTE by saying "It's all their fault, I've no idea why they did this" must have burnt some bridges for him in RTE management, both at executive and board level.

From the public's point of view the good guy persona boy next door he portrays himself as is all part of the job.

When he's making public statements about his willingness to take pay cuts - “When it comes to this sort of issue, that’s not something I’ve ever been found wanting in and that continues to be the case, yeah.” - whilst simultaneously making deals to conceal the fact he wasn't in fact taking a paycut, that good guy persona has been irretrievably tarnished.

Is this had been somebody like Eamonn Dunphy I think career prospects wise it would be less damaging, as being clean as a whistle was not his USP.

And people like Kevin Myers, Sean O'Rourke and George Hook have been dropped like a stone for less.

I think after his first statement Tubridy's career will be luck to survive this. He's antagnosised RTE and the public. His problem is if RTE drop him over this, nobody else will employ him. He doesn't have a gargantuan talent to carry him through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I know someone in a working in a bit of the public service which had a lot of contractd employees, anyway they were convinced that the contracted employees where dying to get an actual position with said public service. The contracted employees all left when they were offered paid positions. The individual I knew was absolutely stunned that they turn down the holy grail of permenant and pensionable.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I don't think Tubs committed a crime. But I also know that there are crimes outside of murder, sexual assaults, assault and other heinous crimes. You can commit financial crimes, which can have heinous outcomes and/or lead to other heinous crimes.

RTÉ reporting of fees to their top stars is mainly a lie, because I don't think there is any legislation surrounding the publication of these fees, there is no legislation which says that they must produced them every second year, if there was RTÉ have failed to produce those figures on time on a number of years, including those in question. But really RTÉ could pick those figures out of the air and it would have no effect on their proper published Annual Reports, the only thing they did was to lie about those figures.

These reported figures are an agreement between RTÉ and the government going back to the late 1990s when the Minister for Arts and the cabinet would see them, I think around 2002 Bertie said that they should be published to the public. At least I can only go as far back as 2002. And I have a vague memory of this, and it would line up to an election year. (Released in 2004).

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement