Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BE /Trailer licence, have you it to pull a trailer behind a jeep/van/car???

• 23-06-2023 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Following a bit of discussion on the cattle trailer thread,It would be interesting to see how many here have it

Its marked on the back of your licence, just under the car and caravan., Just thrown in there under the bus,🙈🙈

BE /Trailer licence, have you it to pull a trailer behind a jeep/van/car??? 129 votes

Yes
    54% 70 votes
    No
    45% 59 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭emaherx

I voted no but I don't currently need it either as I'm not towing over 750Kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If the gross weight of the trailer, and vehicle pulling it, is less than 3500kg (and the vehicle is rated to tow it's load) a BE license is not required.

If the gross weight of the trailer, and vehicle pulling it, is over 3500kg a BE license is required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

That's correct, that's the weight of car/jeep +trailer+load less than 3500kg. It's a very tricky area for most to stay under. A typical jeep would eat a big chunk into that weight.

True but I'm guessing this poll is in relation to the cattle trailer pulling thread.

a Land Cruiser is around 3000KG by itself

a Rav4 is around 2000KG probably a little more, tow capacity of 1500KG, including weight of trailer it's probably OK for 1 cow.

Ironically, a Landcruiser towing an 8x6 with 2 cattle will require a BE license, an Avensis towing an 8x6 with 2 cattle likely won't.

• Advertisement

OP didn't give an option for the provisional BE license.

New land cruiser has a weight of approx 2700kg

And an 8x6 approx 600kg

Driver at 80kg

Various crap in car 20kg.

Now you are 3400kg, before a beast in on the ramp

Apologies omitted it by accident.

It's a start for someone to have it, but it still has the requirement of having a fully licenced Driver with the BE category on their licence.

I've had the provisional since the requirement came in but never booked the test. Renewed it a few times.

As much use as a chocolate teapot if stopped though

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

• Advertisement

I was similar but finally pulled the finger out and did the test last year

But how big are these cattle? 500KG X 2 + Trailer is likely over the tow capacity of an Avensis.

A quick Google puts the towing capacity of the avensis at 1500kg, a Berlingo is 1100kg

An ifor Williams 8*5 is 725kg.

Add two heavy cattle at 500kg a piece, you are now at 1725kg, overweight for all categories of licence.

On the Berlingo you could only pull one beast of 475kg to be legal

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Van Doozy

Lots of talk about weights of cattle pushing you over the limit etc, my understanding is that it doesn't matter if you fill the trailer with cattle or helium, it's the MAM of the trailer and its towing vehicle combined that matters, irrespective of how it is loaded.

The tendency is to fit as many stock into the trailer irrelevant of the weight of stock. Livestocks weight is changing daily and the only accurate way to know is to weight them prior to loading, this is not feasible in many situation. Also hauling livestock is very different to hauling a pallet. It's a live load at can move. You cant just throw a set of straps on a beast.

Whether livestock or helium, it's the weight that matters. And as above the weight is trickey to nail down. A lot of the issues are around larger trailers and filling them them, then saying I have a 4x4 and shut it can pull them. Awareness is needed greatly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

I think that's correct. So you'd need the license to pull an empty flatbed 3.5t trailer.

Have the license, easy to pass. No reason for anyone not to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭anthony500_1

I have a BE due to having a CE licence I've a 10x5'6 here, I've thought about changing up to a 12x6 so many times but then think about meeting the RSA with the 12x6 stuffed to the gills and overloaded by 800 or a 1000kgs...... That puts an end to my thinking.

The hitch on my trailer is rated only for 2750kgs(I think that's what it is from memory)so your caught there too if your unaware of that one, all hitch's should have the plated axle and hitch rate.

It's a mine field if something goes wrong as others have said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

For starters, to tow any trailer that's rated for more than 750 KGS gross, you need a trailer license, irrespective of whether you are towing it with a land cruiser or a small car

From NDLS, yes you can tow a trailer rated over 750KG. They went out of their way to mention not being suitable for livestock trailers though.

Realistically the combined MAM is going to exceed 3500KG

I have the artic but just after looking at my license and I don't have BE. Is the car/trailer license meant to be included if you have the artic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I have provisional BE licence

My 90 year old father who needs a wheelchair has the full BE licence....never sat a test in his life...

Great country....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I'm sure you are covered with just the CE, but you probably have to tick the BE box when renewing your license for it to appear.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Whether livestock or helium, it's the weight that matters. And as above the weight is trickey to nail down. A lot of the issues are around larger trailers and filling them them, then saying I have a 4x4 and shut it can pull them. Awareness is needed greatly

I don't disagree with your points from a safety perspective but this thread is about licencing. When when it comes to establishing whether a person is licenced to draw a particular class of trailer, the loading of the trailer is totally irrelevant. 

For starters, to tow any trailer that's rated for more than 750 KGS gross, you need a trailer license, irrespective of whether you are towing it with a land cruiser or a small car

This is not correct. You can tow a trailer with a MAM greater than 750kg with a B licence provided that the combined MAM of the trailer and the towing vehicle does not exceed 3500kg.

Have the license, easy to pass. No reason for anyone not to get it.

I agree.

I figured I might need one this summer so I got my BE provisional back in January. I am still waiting to be 'invited to apply for a test'! 🙄 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭anthony500_1

I only got the CE licence maybe 8yrs ago, at the time the instructor said make sure and tick the box for BE as well as CE when applying for the full licence as he said if you get a goose of a clerical officer in the licence issuing department they won't cop that your entitled to the BE also and won't include it. I don't know if you can go in and request they add the BE to your licence.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭hopeso

Do we actually tick the boxes ourselves any more now? I renewed my licence recently, and as far as I remember the lad at the centre put all the info into a computer while I was there.... As you have a truck licence, you'll be renewing it every five years, so you'll probably be in again before too long. Make sure it's done right then..... You can certainly go in in the meantime and add a category to you licence, but like everything else, it will cost you....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭minerleague

Keep meaning to do the BE test but as far as I can see from comments most jeep and trailer combinations are overweight carrying a full load of cattle anyway

Don't think there's very many trailers plated for less than 2t but over 750kg. So pretty much everyone will need it if taking big trailer

But there can be, it is legal to have a trailer de-rated/re-plated by the manufacturer or another trailer manufacturer. Can't see it being practical for many livestock trailers or other very large trailers as it would also limit the weights if the trailer is pulled by a larger vehicle with a BE license too.

It would probably make far more sense to just do the test.

• Advertisement

Looking at the what the RSA have on the website, it just is the start of making livestock trailers easier to police on the BE front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

And on on the trailer license question, where does the Insurance come in? I thought that to be full covered by your insurance, you had to have the correct license category when towing?

You would have to. Lots of people in very dodgy territory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,076 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

My RAV is rated to pull 2000 kgs.

30 ish years ago there was only 3-4 classes of liciences

A. Motorbike

B. Tractor

C. Car

D truck. AFAIK.

In the early 90's we standardized to the EU liciences. In the transfer process you were entitled to transfer categories to the new category type.

There was never a requirement for you 90 year old father or grandfather to sit a BE liciences. He originally sat a C test ( if it was required he may have been from a time when there was no requirements to sit such a test) and transfered his entitlements to the new liciences.

To retain that license for the last 20 ish years he has had to provide a medical certificate to renew. I be questioning his GP if he signed the cert and your father in a wheel chair not the system.

Slava Ukrainii

Not at all. Just do the test. It couldn't be easier...

For those on provisionals you need to have a full be licensed person in the seat beside you. Taking to someone who had a small tip, guards called due to traffic, up a sh1t creek now as insurance won't stand over it due to no driver beside them on the Garda report. €1500 would have sorted it, now it's looking like at least an extra 0 to be added

• Advertisement

Not doubting the easiness of it but if you decide to get a BE you'll be waiting 9 months before you can even apply to sit a test. It's an absolute joke.

Better to be in the ladder,than thinking about putting a step on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Suckler

"Great Country"..... if they brought out a change tomorrow requiring everyone to go get the test retrospectively there'd be some uproar from the same "Only in Ireland" crowd. The grey voters would quickly do away with a government that would attempt to bring mandatory in testing for 75+ brigade.

Currently, as a retired truck / Bus driver I have all categories. But later this year, my license is due for renewal, and I don't think that I will go for the full license again as I do not plan on driving anything other than a passenger car in future. However as I use a small trailer ( 6 x 4 single axle) I want to keep whatever category I will need for that. any advice is more than welcome. Thanks

If you have the BE already, keep it. You never know when you might pull a larger trailer or load.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I got the test as have to move cattle and horses for work quite a bit. Easy as pie to pass, only issue is the wait at the minute I imagine.

Just make sure to say it to the person renewing that you want to keep the be I'd imagine should be enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,076 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I keep the BE however of you keep that you will be able to keep the rest.

It's a professional driver license and you will need a medical certificate for it. Get it filled out sone time you visit the doctor. The BE is a 5 year liciences however you get a 10 year fir the B part

It's not that easy you need to renew it with the medical report. However you only need the medical report every 10 years to keep it on your liciences. If you are using it as in towing you would need to renew it every five years

Slava Ukrainii

That's totally incorrect.... You do not require a medical report for a BE licence, and it runs for 10 years, the same as a standard car licence.

Just check to make sure that you have the BE category on your current licence. You are entitled to have it if you passed an artic test. Then, when you're renewing your licence, make sure they add it again to the new one.

Thanks to you all for your input. I'll just go for the BE license I think, seems the simplest option, and once I can tow with my 6 x4 2 wheel trailer, I'm happy. Thanks again all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Do you need a northern adress to apply for northern liscense ,where did you get this info .

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭straight

Ya the test is grand to do but it's a bit of a money racket. It cost me nearly 500 euro when I'd it a few years ago. Theory test, provisional licence, couple of lessons, test, renew driving licence. Not to mind the cost of my own time.

Just as an update on this for anyone who might be interested - I now have my BE. 

It went like this:

I had a regular B licence but I had to do sit the standard B theory test because it didn't exist when I got my B licence. This was quite easy and I did a bit of revision and flew through it. i did this in January. Then I applied for my learner permit (AKA provisional licence).

You must have your permit for 6 months before you can apply for the driving test. 

Applied for the test in June and was put on a waiting list to formally apply for the test. Was invited to properly apply at the start of August and did so - was given a test date at the start of Sept.

I got a total of 4 lessons, each an hour long. I found these were essential. A very experienced trailer driver might get away with fewer lessons but I don't drive trailers particularly often so I definitely needed tuition. In particular I needed to learn to reverse the trailer competently using my mirrors - I always just used to look over my shoulder or out the window! I got good general tips for reversing the trailer and found that the lessons were also useful for tightning up on any bad habits one might have from driving for years without any instruction - coasting and use of mirrors and all that.

I also had to tighten up on the Q & A for before the test - stuff the examiner asks like 'what is a clearway' and 'when can you use your horn' etc.

The test itself is fine. It is exactly like a regular car test, except you don't do the turnabout on the road. i found it to be more relaxed than a car test but maybe this is because I've been driving for years. The BE test has a much higher pass rate - I was told around 80%. You do have to reverse the trailer around a fairly tight corner using your mirrors and from my point of view I found this to be the thing I had to work on the most. I'm much better at it now.

Costs: 

Theory test €45

Apply for learner permit €35

Lessons 4 lessons at €90 / hr and I used the driving school's jeep and trailer for the test which also cost €90 so total of €450

Driving test €85

Driving licence €35

Total cost €650

Well worth doing for peace of mind, and also (in my case anyway) vastly improved trailer handling ability.

The wait is a bit of a drag but what can you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Suckler

You do have to reverse the trailer around a fairly tight corner using your mirrors and from my point of view I found this to be the thing I had to work on the most. I'm much better at it now.

I assume a turning the head would be an automatic fail?

• Advertisement
Advertisement