Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

He'll spend a year out in the cold possibly, and then worm his way back in.

Regarding hook, I suspect it wasn't so much what he had been caught saying, it's what he was known to say which didn't make it public. I have heard from several sources that what he was like off mic was a lot worse than what caught him out on mic. They were probably worried of what he might say and got rid of him once they had a workable excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hook was past it anyway. From a different era.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You ran away from the question when it was put to you yesterday.

Either he did something wrong (as per his statement) OR he lied in the statement.

There's no two ways about it.

The reason you won't answer the question is then you won't be able to keep up this nonsense "for no fault of his own".

It's this simple:

Either he did something wrong (as per his statement) OR he lied in the statement.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭hometruths

I hadn't heard that about Hook, but I guess that's a risk of hiring an grouchy old opinionated dinosaur.

But he illustrates the point I'm making. Hook was hired precisely he was grouchy and opinionated, that was his job and that was what the audience expected. And then lost his job for being too grouchy and opinionated.

Tubridy doesn't really do strong opinions and insights, he job was to be inoffensive, holier than thou, clean as a whistle. That's why this is a problem.

If the audience now know Tubridy is not clean is whistle what's his attraction? Couple that with his attempt to shaft RTE and I think he's in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Scumbag comment trying to use mental illness as an insult.

He lied by omission about taking the pay cut that he did, not revealing he was getting paid under the counter.

He lied by omission in not correcting the public statement of his RTE remuneration, leaving out sums coming from RTE.

• One doesn’t have to technically commit a crime to lose the room, in fact there are individuals who have been convicted of crimes for standing my their own principles and who have had majority public admiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Baure and Commicorp know what they are doing with presenters. Hook was a curmudgeon, Yeats was trying to be a shock jock and Cuddihy is a bore and there to hold on to the audience created by Hook and Yeats, VMTV did it with tonight show, realizing that retaining an audience is more important that growing one at a certain point in the life of a programme, and you can reduce costs on staff presenters, only Pat Kenny survives, and he did his job to bring in an audience and he did that, I imagine his contract at some point wont be renewed because NewsTalk now has the audience. However, it does mean that you end up with vapid commentators on NewsTalk, trying to defend RTÉ presenters and castigate RTÉ's management.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Re the article covered this morning by Billy Keane who is a self processed friend of Tubridy , Keane says being on large salaries dosent make people any less human. This is a straw man argument. The issue, Billy is not whether the salary was large or not. The issue is the secrecy and sneakiness surrounding the payments. People like Billy Keane are deliberately missing the point, muddying the waters in the hope Tubridys reputation comes out of this intact. His fans will still have high regard for him lm sure, but many will see this whole sorry story as another grubby tale of corruption …

• Advertisement

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

______

Yesterday

• Tubridy / NK etc + apologists must by deductive logic believe that the majority of duly angry RTE staff are trolls, “mentally ill”, “losers”, “lonely”, “not working” & all the various terms used.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

So no surprise that Moya now has a spokesman :-)

Also no surprise that the IT are misrepresenting the RTE Board's competence by not mentioning Moya only setup ARC on her last day in office. (Every single last editor at the IT knows this as it was one of the hot topics at all the Christmas parties in D4.)

Fact is that Moya's Board of willfully ignored their duties. Perhaps all those "highly respected" "decent" "professionals" simply did not notice that there was no Audit & Risk Committee for the EIGHT years beforehand. LOL!

https://www.irishtimes.com/media/2023/06/24/rte-in-turmoil-over-hidden-payments-to-ryan-tubridy-after-evidence-surfaced-about-weak-financial-controls/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm tempted to cancel my TV license DD. However, I am going to wait and see and not have a knee jerk reaction right now. I'll see how the wind is blowing and if there is a complete snow job then cancel it is.

What are you all thinking of doing? - well those of you who pay the license fee in the first place that is!

I don't know but I think the time is long overdue for a full Revenue audit of every payment made to these 'front companies' set up by these so-called top presenters to reduce their tax liability, and whether they were reported correctly. It wouldn't surprise me in the maneuvers RTE executed to conceal these payments they didn't adhere to tax or corporate reporting rules.

The whole arrangement must end. They should be on PAYE fixed time contracts and if they don't like it they can jog on out of RTE and let the door hit them on the way out. That arrangement would be more understandable if it is a 'gigging' time consultant or presenter role, not someone who signed a guaranteed multi year contract.

• At least Billy Keane is a gentleman, a sound individual who doesn’t resort to demeaning and tearing strips off people who don’t completely concur with his opinions. I would disagree with his opinion, but he stands to me atm as a decent man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

You know the thread is dead when all we have is copy and paste from twitter

I am going to wait, I was planning to pay but I know that RTÉ are paid monthly from the department basis on the Licence fee returns from An Post for the month (IMO a bizarre situation), so IMO if your license fee is due for renewal or if you are paying a monthly DD, stop until at least the end of the year.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

huh?

there have been 25 posts since then, none from twitter. where did you get 'all we have is copy and paste from twitter'?

• Advertisement

Pay the TV license is my advice

But don't expect anything to come from the report

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Exactly. One of the first rules of journalism is to never become the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You know you'll have to get rid of your telly if you do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

It is not unusual and some change auditors every few years to avoid a cosy relationship.

The fun really starts when Audit is done by one Big firm while the Tax is done by another Big firm. Neither prepared to finalise their side, until they see the final version from the other side. Real childish bullxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

I agree 100% with you on all of this. The arrogance of the first statement was shocking. As Terry Prone said on Prime Time, it was way too rushed. If he had waited a while and read the room, his initial statement would surely have been very different. Then again, he knew by the time he issued his second statement how bad things were and should surely at that stage have offered to refund the money; I think that would have saved him.

On the interpersonal issue, we saw only a few months ago how powerful employees can be when the BBC attempted to stand down Gary Lineker.

I think at the moment it's 50/50 that he will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

At the end of the day, RTÉ is a dodgy and shady organisation, the Tubridy payments have shown and proven that….and therefore dodgy people will be employed there and contracted there too. Culture is that way.

I rarely watch it apart from the odd bit of sport. If I watch 3–4 hours a week that’s tops….

piss poor.

at least if there are shady dealings and backhanders, have some fûcking quality to watch…..ridiculous dearth of quality.

I would disagree. Apart from the sport they have loads of programs and if you ask my parents they watch loads of programs on RTE. Yes some of it is terrible to me but isn't to others.

Move one channel up and see whats on, the Saturday game alone is worth the tv license.

I know people like to moan about everything and 9 times out of 10 I don't watch RTE but we should never be in a position that for a few people on the internet we should cancel the national broadcaster.

Reform is the best action in this situation and to be honest I am still struggling to see the value of some of the high profile "stars".

First off 2FM should be dumped.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/listings/television/#/rte2/2023-06-24/full

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

This story is only a sample of what's going on , across the board through numerous departments, with tax payers money.

It's what I really hate about my country.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

Is this the same Billy Keane who was struck off as a solicitor?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Agree with you on the content front anyway. I gave up watching it a number of years ago and never went back so I can only go on what I watched back in the day.

I don't think RTE knows what it is anymore. Is it a Public Service Broadcaster? If so it should only use the license fee for public information/news/current affairs/documentaries/Dail coverage and so on. It is a real hybrid though, getting the TV license income stream + advertising and sponsorship income. Why are they allowed to do that? Brings them into the commercial money making side of things I think and the can of worms we are witnessing now.

There are enough commercial stations out there to provide the drivel like Love Island, Fair City, blah blah etc. What public service remit are these shows providing anyway via RTE?

I feel very strongly that the rot set in when broadcasting was opened up to others like TV3, Virgin and so on. RTE then felt it had to compete. But it should never have been permitted to do that IMO. Too many broadcasters chasing a very small pool.

The diehards will continue to watch/listen to RTE and that's fine, but it should I think just be for public service broadcasting boring as that might seem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement