Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Right wing government voted in n highest gun crime probably fake news.

Suvigirl mate's say it's grand. Hard to know who to believe nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The money is from government and taken from tax it still costs a lot to keep new arrivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep there are... and you can spare me the predictable "racist!" comeback - firstly, I don't care, secondly, it's tiresome and thirdly, the accusations of a randomer on the Internet are wasted on me. It and other accusations are thrown out so much these days they've lost all meaning.

An Irish citizen (although I am presuming you meant native by the way you've phrased the above comparison) is one who has a natural right to expect the policies, resources, opportunities, and supports to work in their interests first and foremost. The latter must earn that right (legally, economically and socially) or are guests of our goodwill and charity.

As a native Irish man I fully expect politicians to put the needs of myself, my fellow citizens and our country ahead of all others. That's not to say that we shouldn't and can't help and support others too - but such help should be after we have looked after our own needs and problems first (charity begins at home if you will), and not at the expense of those things. This is a key part of the social contract we all enter into and is no different than any other country on the planet.

It's not just at individual levels either - take the EU as a whole... when it comes down to it, individual nations will look out for their own interests. We saw it during the Financial Crisis when Germany and others rapidly established a two-tier Europe to protect their own economies, and it was in fact the actions of Merkel and Germany that started us down this current path because of the notion of importing a cheap labour force - not something that's worked out too well as it's turned out, neither in Germany or in places like Italy or France or Sweden.

Immigration can be a positive absolutely - but only so long as it occurs in manageable numbers, involves skilled migrants with the ability to immediately support themselves and integrate positively into their new community, and so long as it includes effective means to identify and reject/return those who are trying to slip through the cracks, or who misrepresent themselves or are outright lying about their eligibility, or who cause social or criminal problems while they're here.

We don't live in a United States of Earth where this fantasy of no differences, no individuality or nationality, and no either/or choices exist. We don't even live in a United Europe, and increasingly we don't live in a country where the democratic will and legitimate questions and concerns of citizens are respected, heard and acted upon. Social media platforms and vested interests (NGOs and political) aside, the polls show overwhelmingly that people are increasingly concerned about the direction this country is heading in - and rightly so by the way. It is the role of citizens to act as watchers of such things and protest when they feel their interests are being compromised. As I've said before, politicians and Government work for us, NOT the other way around and (as we've repeatedly seen in our short national history) the members of those parties need to be reminded every so often when they lose the run of themselves - as has happened here again.

This is reality, no matter how much you might not like these facts. Again as I've said before, I'm afraid ideology, virtue-signalling, and cries of "-isms" just don't do well when they run into that hard, unforgiving wall of reality and indeed the ordinary people behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

We have discussed this here before. About a month ago

The point is that Sweden made mistakes placing high volumes of migrants in the same poor rundown areas and fell down massively on integration of those migrants, allowing a sub culture and ghettos to develop.

It is the children and grandchildren of these migrants that are increasingly involved in organised crime now. All poorer Swedes, with minimal education, as well it has to be said

The same has happened in parts of the UK.

(Same has happened in parts of Ireland too, one of the highest gun crime in EU in pockets here in Dublin and other cities don't forget, all white Irish kids.)

Nobody denying that, superbatman, sorry, batman oh

But these are lessons that have been and are being learned by us and the rest of Europe.

Integration is key to ensuring migrants while retaining their own culture are blended into society and their children can continue with education and employment.

That is why there is a policy of placing people all over the country.

That is why language and Irish culture /social classes are resourced.

I do recognise that it is difficult when large groups have to be accomodated where services are tight, and this is where the DoI and funding should come in.

Also it is easier to blend some cultures in Ireland than others we all see, but of course it can be done. It just takes a bit more effort.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement

Which we are a net contributor to as well nowadays, so in effect we're paying twice.

Haha no. We do contribute but we would be doing that anyway. So now we are making use of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

This is actually rather sad - feel terrible for these students. Let down by their own country.

It’s a shame the likes of O’Gorman and their supporters care more about flaunting their ostensible moral superiority than the needs of the citizens of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Our students now are nearly more vulnerable than the asylum seekers. How is a student supposed to be able to work enough hours while studying to be able to afford these high rents that are being charged. Of course, they actually have to find the accommodation first… Meanwhile, the asylum seekers are placed in accommodation, all living expenses covered and a weekly allowance, all while being able to work and earn a wage after 6 months, if they feel like it

Not to mention that the jobs the students may apply for to help cover the costs are coincidentally also the same jobs many of these new arrivals will look for as well - part time hospitality jobs, takeaway staff or drivers etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Yeah I’m at a loss to be honest…

Hopefully one of the policy backers in here will be along soon to explain why the asylum seekers off the plane are more deserving than young citizens whose parent’s taxes are providing all of the money for their children to be screwed over.

I’m more than happy for us to provide help to asylum seekers, but not at the expense of our own citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

What you seem to fail to realize is some cultures don't want to integrate. You don't move from Syria and all of a sudden your pro LGBT and watch Father Ted. What the people who constantly defend massive waves of asylum seekers in Ireland fail to realize there are cultural difference due to many things including religion and to act like everyone from all parts of the world are cultural and will assimilate into Irish Culture is just plain ignorant. Integration works both ways, it's not just down to Irish people.

With regard to lessons to learn by, I think the main one would be is stop taking a huge amount of people and dumping them in rural part of Ireland with no jobs or nothing to do. No one has an issue with immigration or people seeking genuine asylum, we do have a problem when you are increasing some parts of Ireland by 30 percent and are told to shut up and accept it. All this is doing is slowly making the right gain a foothold in Irish politics. We are learned zero from the situation in Sweden.

The world isn't like ''Imagine'' By John Lennon no matter how much we would like it to be. You seriously need a reality check.

Firstly GG, there's zero evidence that we have learned anything from the other countries where this has been tried - we're just not quite as far down the path but with the numbers involved we'll soon catch up!

Secondly, WHY should we make a "bit more effort" - or ANY effort at all. As has been repeatedly explained we (more accurately our politicians) are voluntarily walking towards the cliff edge on this issue. But seeing as they won't give answers, maybe you or some of the others posting here might be able to...

What benefit are WE supposed to get from all this? (immigration is supposed to benefit both the new arrival and the host after all!)

When will we see these benefits?

How much worse must things get first?

How much longer must we wait?

Why should we compromise our access to essential services and supports in favour of others who we're told "need" or "deserve" them more?

Oh and of course..

How much is enough? We're a small country with poor governance and massive long-standing domestic issues.

When do we say "we can do no more"

Your reply is not in the tone of my response which was to batman oh or was that you??

It is a rude angry response.

I might reply if you repost politely.

By the way ignorance is not something people who are inclusive are accused of, the opposite in fact.

Nor would I categorise other posters on the opposite side of the discussion as ignorant and expect a reply.

Goodbye now.

Kaiser, this is the refugee thread not the Immigrant thread

We do not nor should we expect a 'return' or benefit from aiding refugees. That is why there is a fund to help with refugees, not migrants.

I think that is the crux of the problem.. Some people are expecting too much of people who are fleeing war, torture, persecution and degradation.

The previous posts about Sweden and immigrants generally somehow were off topic of the thread. They wrre all about MIGRANTS

But yes , I was just replying to those.

You know my feelings on the subject are somewhere in the middle, so I can agree with some of your posts but not others.

I am not angry I am stating facts but when I state facts(what happened in Sweden) they get replaced by words such as ''inclusive.''

I am all for being inclusive but dumping 100's of men in rural parts of Ireland isn't about being inclusive it's about money and a government that seems to completely ignore the society of Ireland and that includes all who work here and pay tax from Irish to Brazilians to Indians, etc.

You are now just ranting at me.

If you want me to reply it needs to be reasoned polite discussion with a few sensible points that can be discussed

I am not here for aggro or to be ranted at, thank you

I don't mind if you reply or not. I am not angry but if you feel I am that's up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And?

The idea that 6bn goes to a small few NGOs is laughable nonsense as the list above proves.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

I think this one will be the straw that broke the camels back up here. It's being reported and discussed on the local radio stations and local newspapers/media everyday. People are furious here and rightly so.

I naively thought that when they gave the purpose built student accommodation over to house refugees in Letterkenny that those blocks were not in use and weren't needed for students. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I think people see through the bullshoite now and know that many local people are being displaced to house 'refugees', especially the Phoney Freeloaders.

People's hearts have just about bled out at this stage and I can't wait to vote this government out and get this **** show off my chest to my local canvassing TDs to be.

Students, elderly care house residents...what local is next to displace!!!???

Post edited by Honesty Policy on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Citizens rights are really just about voting rights etc. All people living in a country are to be treated equally. Thats what human rights are all about.

No matter how many of you seem to think that other nationalities should be treated as second class people, it will never happen. All our human rights are defended in Ireland. you all benefit from living in an equal society, we are never going back to 1950s Ireland, thankfully.

Of course people know that cultures are different 🙄

Why should others integrate into Irish culture? People from all cultures can fit in society just fine. Plenty of Irish people don't fit into the stereotypical 'irish culture'

It's entirely up to individuals as to what the want to do in their spare time or activities they take up. Everyone can still get along fine.

Ok, so culturally Ireland supports LGBT communities but it's ok for people from cultures that don't support that and come to Ireland to have to distain for the LGBT community?

You are constantly trying to make any point you can but end up contradicting yourself. You are all for integration but then say they shouldn't have to integrate.

People have given you a multitude of the negative effects of mass asylum seekers into countries and you refuse to even accept, you just ignore them and come back such comments as above.

If I go to a country yes I have to integrate, that doesn't mean I become less Irish or lose my culture. So you point is pointless.

And here a question for you

Do you think asylum seekers should be housed before Irish people? like has happened with students in Sligo.

All of Ireland are not in favour of LGBT communities. And all of the cultures that you believe to have disdain for LGBT, don't.

You do not have to integrate to live in another country, it would be better for you if you did, more opportunities, perhaps more fulfilling life. There have been posters here over the years claiming exactly that, that in order to integrate other people's must lose their culture and take on the Irish culture, not that any of them could actually explain what they meant!

It's not a contradiction to state that people should be allowed to integrate, but should not be forced.

I don't believe any particular subset of people should be housed before another. The only people who should be housed are people that cannot house themselves. So completely based on need.

All housing should be mixed equally, private, social and affordable.

Society as a whole does. If they didn't we wouldn't be having Pride festival in Dublin. Do try and do that for example in Pakistan.

Ok so let's give you some facts

Out of the top 6 countries that are the highest number of asylum seekers coming seeking asylum here

With the exception of Georgia

Nigeria- Illegal and in south punishable by death

Algeria- Homosexuality is prohibited by law

Somalia-Illegal and in south punishable by death

Zimbabwe-Illegal

Afghanistan-Illegal

I am sure you will hit back with all the people coming here are seeking protection from being gay which is not accurate even tho it say's ''single men'' when showing asylum seekers being housed most of them men are married back home and come first before the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

When you say "vote this government out" what exactly do you mean? Who are you going to vote for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The addressing of problems or challenges within our society and the world around cannot always be contingent on solving every other problem first. This idea that handling the influx of refugees must be dependant on firstly housing all our homeless or building every square foot of social housing is simply not realistic.

It makes sense to try spread refugees a little bit around the country but like all things on this thread the arguments around this are Whack-a-Mole in nature. Put them all in working class areas of Dublin and people complain about ghettoisation and unfair treatment — put them all in leafy suburbs of Dublin and people complain about refugees getting to live in nice areas for free at relatively more expensive cost — put them all outside Dublin and people complain that the areas can't cope with them. It doesn't seem to matter where you put them — people will cry foul.

Advertisement