Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭forumnewbie21

No, it took about 6/7 months originally. Then 1-2 months second time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭forumnewbie21

No, didn't fancy that at all. ASO, started June 2022.. Absolutely love my role. Landed in a really good department and honestly so happy I withdrew my officer application!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭psnaye2023

Here we go again with another stall 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Boneyard2002

it’s been known for a while. No movement until next year. Only 85 going through this year

Is it definitively next year though? Given vetting pca and medical etc technically expire after 6 months, and they’ve been saying we are reviewing things on a regular basis I think they’re planning to get at least some of the 150 in this FY. Otherwise there’d be no point progressing that many plus the 50 from 2020 as they’d not get through that many for 2+ years at this rate.

They also said they were pausing staff recruitment but I got an offer this week for a start date in Autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Boneyard2002

So as of recent. It has been knowledge that only 85 appointments are to be made this year, I’d assume what this means is that the remaining 50 from the 2020 recruitment will progress and then the top say 20+ will also be included. They have stopped all recruitment in general officer & staff. Id say it’ll not be until 2025 for the likes of myself to be in..

To be honest I’m cautiously optimistic this time around. It costs them time and money (two important resources in a cash-strapped organisation) to go through the motions for 150 + 50 candidates.

I’ve studied the boards in previous years for similar situations and each time this has happened it’s been a bit of a fiasco with Vetting, PCA etc expiring. You might have been medically fit in April 2023 but might not be in 2024. In the past they’ve given 6 month extensions but this might be required twice which, to my knowledge, has no precedent.

I think that all this negative publicity about PSNI (especially resourcing) and the high profile crime of late (murders, dissident activity etc) only serves to put further pressure on the powers that be in England to strongly consider funding for PSNI as an independent entity even regardless of DoJ.

Fact is, policing is required. They went through 2 years of going on about increasing numbers then were shafted by poor budget management and a lack of an Executive. I’m hopeful of another sweetheart billion to get the DUP back in Executive and formation of a 3 year budget so they can give us some clarity.

Also welcome news that they’re recruiting Police Staff merit list candidates for October as this would be a 4 month ‘pause’ which I was anticipating anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Take the staff job, handy waiting room to be in

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

So I've been in the job a wee while now.

Worked through covid.

This is the best job in the world. We are getting it tight from all angles at the minute but still wouldn't consider leaving.

Given that it's going to be a long wait guys, if policing is a passion you're pursuing and you're not tied down here. I'd considered applying to be GB forces across the water. Leave this ticking in the back ground.

If you've been serving over there and them come home when you finally get the call you keep your pay scale, most qualifications like driving etc carry after a "check drive"/refresher.

Pension carries like for like.

And if you get out of probation prior to getting the call you don't have a probation to serve in the PSNI (along as no break in service) i.e you resign from English force and start Garnerville within 7 days.

You still do GV but on the payscale you left the GB force on. You will still have a 3 year commitment period to your district even if you've no probation to serve.

There's talk of the Policing Board finding a work around to accept direct transfers from GB (so could be a nice back door)

Also seems a lot faster in GB. I applied to BTP and received an interview date within a week or two and a fairly short timeline for remaining stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnny990

Was the Job offer for SGB1 role. I saw there were recruiting at end of last year

Call handler mate

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Starsky1

What is everyone thoughts on the latest email?

Don't seem to have received it yet. U get it yesterday?

Yeah it came through yesterday afternoon regarding an update on recruitment.

did anyone else get it? Hoping I wasn’t the only one lol

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

May have just been the 150 who got it. Basically just said even if you’re appointable nothing will be happening until they get some funding. It’s disappointing but not overly shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 21 avjjken

Out of interest is it the 4&4 pattern or Monday-Friday pattern?

Not sure, they gave me a verbal offer over the phone and said they’d email out details in next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Yes I got it also and definitely not in the top 150 unfortunately. Personally it doesn't really change anything for me but what I do think is when the budget is there, things will start happening very quickly as the numbers are dwindling. My partners house was involved in a recent burglary and police, cid etc all saying same thing about being understaffed. Its only going to get worse as numbers keep dropping. Remember, 1 a day is leaving the force.

Yeah I agree. When they started progressing the 150 I was shocked by how fast it all went, I went from expecting nothing until next summer to be appointable within 10 weeks.

They have to keep us updated and in lieu of actual movement fed us the usual budgetary pressures etc, but that email also states they’re working to make sure there’s a pool to draw from. This can’t go on forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

So I’m currently in GV. All the talk atm is that the intake that has just arrived in will be the last for a considerable amount of time…that came from the chief Con himself when he spoke to my class.

I waited three years to get to this stage. I know the frustrations (NeeNaw could testify to that lol) but you just have to keep going with life and let this go on in the background until the day arrives that it’s your time to join training, even though that could still be some time ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 iolo87

Would anyone have an idea of how long it can be to hear back from the medical?

Its been over two weeks and I don't know what to think!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

Around 10 working days off the top of my head pal

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ynwa22

Took mine exactly a week then smt was about 3/4 weeks

That is disappointing news but sure if it’s a waiting game then that’s what will have to happen.

my only concern would be if they scrapped the list and have to go through the process all over again. Defo do not want to do the AC ever again 😂

Can’t see that happening thankfully - too much money and time already invested plus it would take another 12-18 months to get another campaign to this stage which would deplete their numbers even further

Deloitte and Psni have spent a lot of money on this campaign. Don't think they would drop it.

Def wouldn't want to do AC again either.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

I with you on that one lol assessment centre sucks lol

This has probably been answered before but for anyone in the know - is the NITA paid monthly (ie /12 and added to your monthly salary) or do you get it on your first day and each anniversary date as a golden handshake?

Trying in earnest to plan medium term finances lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

Highly doubt they would ever scrap this campaign.... but if they did, I honestly don't think I would have it in me for another A.C... think I would just pull the pin.

Advertisement