Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wierd graphics card / monitor issue**really need a bit of help with this one***

Options
  • 24-06-2023 10:33am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads I really need a bit of help here.I was up till 4.00 am this morning troubleshooting this one.

Old gpu was a rx580 and last night I upgraded to a 6700xt. Used DDU to remove old drivers and started afresh with new amd drivers.

Heres my issue.BTW Im using a 32" TV as a monitor and all was working 100% on the rx580.

When I start the pc up Im stuck in 640*480 - all settings greyed out in display properties.

Now if I unplug the tv from the wall and plug it back in the correct resolution 1920*1080 returns and everything works fine. If I change the hdmi to my firestick and go back to the pc hdmi it again goes back to 640*480 until I unplug the tv again.

If I start the pc with the tv already turned on to the correct hdmi channel it will boot at 1920*1080 - Im absolutely stumped with this one. Ive been building and upgrading pcs over 20 years and Ive never come across this one.

Also Ive noticed that when it boots in 640/480 I have no audio and also the monitors description in device manager changes from "generic pnp monitor @ 1920*1080" to "non generic pnp monitor @640*480"

So far Ive

1.Removed and reinstalled drivers multiple times, including using older versions just in case.

2.Ive tried multiple hdmi cables.

3.Ive tried going through a hdmi hub just in case.

4.Ive reinstalled all chipset drivers.

5.I plugged back in my rx580 to rule out the 6700 graphics card as the issue and the issue is still there with the rx580 where it was working perfectly before.Same thing boots in 640*480 until I unplug the monitor and back in.

My gut feeling is ddu removed something it shouldnt have - well thats the only thing I can think of at this stage. Theres no settings on the tv to force anything.

Cant find anything in the amd software to help.

Its like its trying to run onboard graphics or something but they are disabled in the bios.

Its also like the graphics card cant recognise the monitor until its power cycled.

Its head melting and maybe someone has come across it before.

It has to be something really stupid Im missing or something really small.

Thanks

Richie

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So update - Ive tried it another TV and its working 100% so Im thinking that the TV is on the way out and it was just coincidence.Or else the TV is too old to recognise it properly.The TV is around 10 years old with hdmi 1.4 and the new gpu is 2.1.

Would this cause an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

your tv might be trying to auto adjust to match the resolution coming from your pc, which could be 640*480 in the bios, and then not updating when the gpu is switched to 1080p

can you force the tv to 1080p mode

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theres no option to force 1080p. Its a weird problem. As I said I tried with another monitor and a 50" TV and its working exactly as it should so I do reckon the TV is possibly on the way out. Or else the hdmi port is faulty.

Ive been meaning to buy a new TV for that room so maybe its time to bite the bullet and just buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Yea, this sounds like a HDMI compatibility issue. The RX580 is HDMI 2.0, whereas the 6700xt is HDMI 2.1. Both should be backwards compatible with HDMI 1.4, but there are always corner cases with this. I wouldn't go as far to say your TV is on the way out, but it sounds like it can't handle newer HDMI devices. Do you have any other HDMI 2.1 devices you try with it to confirm?

You could also try a display port to HDMI convertor as a possible fix.

No I think my fire stick is only 2.0 - 2.1 seems to be for the 4k ones.

Ive nothing else with 2.1 - all my deices seem to be 2.0 or older.

I have a display port to hdmi adapter on the way tomorrow - Ill give that a go,

• Advertisement

can you test it by only pluging in the hdmi cable to tv after the pc has fully booted up?

If the TV has just been plugged in it will work that that. However if I turn pc off without powering off tv, unplug HDMI and then plug it in once pc reboots I get 640*480.

A power cycle ie unplug power and plug back in the TV and it will work every time no matter what resolution it was at. So even if its a 640*480 and all messed up looking even if I dont reboot the pc but unplug tv and plug back in it will show up as 1080p.

it sounds like to tv is picking up the resolution of the bios from the pc when it starts (this is normal low resolution for 10-15 seconds)and not chaning to 1080 when windows/OS starts

even an 13 year old tv i used to have, had the option to force t0 1080, check the menu again might not be called the same thing.

the other option to look at is if the pc is not that old you might be able to set the bios/UEFI to 1080.

you would need to access the bios/UEFI by pressing F2 or F8 (button might be different depending on pc make, check internet for access) in the first few seconds when the pc is starting and set the resolution

just did a search and there might be an issue with the AMD drivers, you could try the below

1. Open AMD Radeon Settings from taskbar and enter the "Display" tab. From there, create a Custom Resolution of the desired format (i.e. - 1920x1080) and save the new format.
    2. Open Windows Display Properties and modify the desktop background resolution to the newly generated format (i.e. - 1440x900 or 1920x1080).
    3. Enable EDID Emulation to keep custom resolution across reboots.

I can make the custom resolution but cant find the EDID emulation setting.

• Advertisement

Good news - the Display port adapter to hdmi fixed the issue. Dont know why its only happening with one TV and not 2 other (newer) ones and a 1080p PC monitor.

Gut is telling me the TV is on the way out.

Advertisement