Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JohnJoe1000

With whatever he had 2 days ago. It's not that hard to understand a possible coup and civil war in Russia would have benefitted Ukraine greatly. This morning i was hoping for the Ukrainians to be chasing the Russians to the border as they fled to defend the homeland now they'll have to do it the hard way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Shoigu's resignation may not mean as much if it's Putin who'll appoint his successor. He could easily pick someone who's as bad in all the categories that Shoigu is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah, and being Russia, those might be the same soldiers they greeted but with a different uniform they had yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Still time. Ukraine don't have a huge amount of resources to go inflaming a situation which is inflaming perfectly well on its own thank you very much.

I mean despite the chaos its not as if Russia can't see from where attacks come.

I'm sure they'll make strategic hay when the time is right.

All over already?

Some rebellion..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't buy the idea that this was all for show.

Putin looked incredibly vulnerable today and the whole world was watching. Prigozhin was ranting like a Traveller boxer and now he's just taking his foot off the pedal to calm things down? None of it makes sense, it just makes Russia look terribly disorganised and fragile.

With all that's gone on between Progozhin and Putin, any agreement will surely be an uneasy one. What happens when there's another setback in Ukraine? Does Prigozhin race back to Moscow and order Putin to sack more people? This ruins Putin's strongman reputation if he doesn't put Prigozhin in his place.

The fact that this doesn't seem to have been broadcast in Russia is what's interesting to me. Putin wouldn't want Russians to see how he was played by Prigozhin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How does it go from Putin saying it's treason to now an agreement between both parties

Pergozin is a dead man walking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yeah. Looks like two rich scumbags having a disagreement. And Prizoghin will now go back to taking orders from Putin?

I'd imagine all rebels will be rounded up in time and disposed of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

None of this makes sense. Not a single part of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Prigozhin has fallen for the banana in the tail pipe it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Zelensky's released a statement pointing out how Putin's nowhere to be seen. Compare that to him being on the 'frontline' in Kyiv in the early days when he was supposedly top of a kill list as the 60-mile* Russian convoy advanced on Kyiv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Putin does not run the show anymore. He'll be put on as a face of the company. The FSB and Armed forces abandoned Putin today. There is no way back for them and as a partnership.

The FSB didn't want Wagner to roll into Moscow as it would have made the nation look weak. They also didn't want civil disorder and battle lines in Ukraine to disintegrate.

The FSB still clearly want Crimea and Donbass and they would have lost it all if there were a few days on chaos.

Putin will be moved aside very soon. Maybe even arrested. This will keep relative civil order, instead of the clusterfuck that would have occured tonight. Putin will be put under house arrest and live out his days in the Dacha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭yagan

The fact that Wagner got as far as they did so easily, taking out some Russia assets as they rolled shows that they have the southern garrisons on their side. Maybe there'll be a renewed assault on Ukraine, but Wagner complained that they were up against NATO standards unlike what they'd been used to in Africa.

It does feel like an unravelling of power, even if Putin remains in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can you imagine someone in US shooting down American helicopters, killing American soldiers, and then Biden ringing him up and saying '' I'm going to give you so so so much money, please stop ''

Russia really is comical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How could Putin possibly accept a private mercenary group deciding who runs Russia's armed forces?

That would be a defeat for Putin and a serious blow to his own authority.

All a bit weird.

His authority Is gone.

Putin fled it seems, couldnt stop mercs taking a city , abandoned by his own FSB and MoD. Putin is done. Figurehead president maybe.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Looks like it is over for the time being.

The road that was blocked with traffic in red on Google maps are gradually turning orange and green again.

Wagner went from a run on the capital and military allowing progress and in some cases joining in to now negotiating a stop and turn around. Not sure how this will be resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

An Al Jazeera commenter indicated that Russian troops won't take this very well and may not be anxious to fight anymore. I wonder are we going to see mass desertions or surrender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Had to laugh at hois reason for stopping the march on Moscow. To avoid bloodshed!

Whatever is coming out of this

Serious stench of death coming off Russia

They look and seem incredibly weakened

@Kermit.de.frog

How could Putin possibly accept a private mercenary group deciding who runs Russia's armed forces?

Putin's Russia is a chronically-corrupt state that cynically allows veritable warlords to run large parts of what comprises Russia's armed forces. How could Putin not allow a private mercenary group decide who runs things, militarily? It's a situation he deliberately engineered without anticipating every consequence.

As the saying goes, he remains a master strategist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well, if they shot down a few planes & helos on the way, it's not like it was a peaceful demonstration. I guess Prigozhin got paid to call it off, and was able to make some demands such as "get rid of Shoigu".

I've no idea what his motivations are (other than money/power?).

Does Shoigu have loyalists in the Russian army that can pull a wagner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, if we believe these reports, then Putin has been made to look incredibly weak. This will only embolden others to try again at some point. He is a lame duck now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Putin looked pale and rattled in his address today. He seemed genuinely upset by this Wagner move. I don’t think he will forget it in a hurry.

Good question. I don't know much about Shoigu and he doesn't seem like a particularly outspoken man. The puss on him during that security council meeting on the 22nd or 23rd of Feb, 2022, give the strong impression that he wasn't particularly into what Putin was laying down, but he has remained silent enough and has held onto his position way past the time that many other military commanders have gotten the sack. That makes it seem like he's got some sort of cunning about him. His charisma and general staying power is about to undergo its most serious test, and since it's an ultimatum about his firing that has been delivered, I don't see how he holds onto his job without firing back in some way, be that bureaucratically or via some more forceful means. Potentially less interesting times ahead than the last 24 hours, but interesting times nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Today was like Stephen Rea in the crying game. Really didn't turn out as expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Cushtie

He is a special kind of nut job in fairness. Not many would have the balls to pull a stunt like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Not with a bang but a whimper

Lot of good news incoming from UAF actions today! Territory gained and chunk of Russian artillery taken out of action.

It would be interesting to know who is the actual Russian Leader. Its clearly not Putin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It was the equivalent of being castrated on public TV.

Putin is in office but not in power.

All of Russia know he is there because he has been left there by Prigozhin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Looks like a loss for Prigozhin (whom I suspect will have to be Navalny'd) and a loss for Putin and his junta, who come out looking weak. Plus a lot of work for the FSB who are going to have to make lists of collaborators who need to be purged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It's so bizzare it would have you searching for the tinfoil, just to try and make sense of it.

But I can't think of any way Putin comes out of this charade better than before it kicked off.

Bizzare day of events anywhere else in the world but just another day in Russia I guess.

You'd wonder if the senior Russian generals are having a meet up and going to sort it out themselves. Situation is just absolutely GUBU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭zv2

It has all been a bit like Hess's flight to England in WW2. Came to nothing.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

That seems fairly obvious, sure.

Yet one of two things must now happen. Either he's dealt with, in which case he's a colossal moron. But how do you get that senior in Russia while getting a colossal moron about things political? Or he's actually genuinely been pardoned or whatever, in which case what the heck just happened?

I don't see there's a third explanation here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

It means Russia is not able to defend itself against an army of 25k soldiers. Otherwise, they would have never made a deal.

It only confirms that Russia is all-in in Ukraine and don’t really have much left in terms of army elsewhere. The situation didn’t improve with the losses they took today.

I find it amusing that some posters are trying to tell us it was only “a bit of a challenge”. It is like saying the flood in Italy this spring was just a puddle in a field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,355 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Peasants Revolt?

Spoiler: Didnt end well for the ringleaders.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So much for Russian reservists, conscription, etc

We know now, that the Russian army that's in Ukraine... that's it.

No backup, no reserves, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Wasn't he detained after the offensive towards Kiev failed too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Wagners forces are going to be pissed if Prigozhin has negotiated their executions.

If not then they'll be cock o the hoop they're a force to be afraid of anywhere they go in Russia. In essence two competing forces rule Russia now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement