Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭rogber

As I predicted, was not the outbreak of civil war. But still a major development and the lasting impact remains to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mike_cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,355 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I wonder if we will find out who is behind that Darth Putin account ... they have hit so many home runs, have they made a mark elsewhere in the media?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I find it funny that that the pupet state with the supposed puppet leader bailed Putin out with a deal against an enemy he vowed to crush hours earlier. With this in mind whichever way you slice it the myth of Putin as a strongman and master strategist is obliterated once and for all. He is surely on borrowed time now. I think once facts on the ground over the next few months make it impossible for the Kremlin to spin events to their liking, we will likely see the tipping point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Basically the FSB will be deciding what makes the Russian Federation look strongest (or least weak).

Putin - Gone. "Health issues" or arrested.

Prigozhin - Window.

Wagner - Some sort of humiliating defeat.

Shoigu & Gerasimov - Demoted or arrested for misappropriation of funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Putin got "cucked". Thats what they call it these days isnt it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

For Prigozhin, it's over.

He had an army of however many thousand. He even persuaded them to march on Moscow for about 12 hours. For a brief moment he had lightning in a bottle, but that's all over now.

Since then he's negotiated terms and basically surrendered. What ever power he had for that brief moment will never be regained.

He will go to Belarus and be put under house arrest. Putin will never, ever let him get near a position of command ever again after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Thousands of Chechen fighters sent to protect Moscow. At least 3,000 elite Chechen troops took up positions in Moscow to defend the Russian capital against advancing Wagner fighters, the Chechen state broadcaster has reported.

"The fighters have been at their positions in Moscow since early morning and are ready to carry out any order from Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Armed Forces Vladimir Putin," Grozny wrote on Telegram.

Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin has since stood down his men, but there have not been any reports suggesting Chechen fighters have been told to leave their positions yet. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Man, what a disappointment this turned out to be. The whole thing is just so perplexing. Like Prigozhin seems to have good instincts. Surely every bone in his body should be telling him that he can't trust Vladimir "I murder my enemies" Putin. He had his boot on Putin's neck and he took it off? Why? You don't take your boot off the neck of a guy like Putin cos when he gets up he'll stick a knife in you as soon as he can.

The only thing I can think of is that Prigozhin didn't think he had the numbers in the end - which seems odd as it looked like he had all of the momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JohnJoe1000

Prigozhin is the coward because he gave it the big’un and then sh it himself and is now running away to Belarus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

A day is/ can be a long time in politics etc What will tomorrow bring? Some serious sh*t went down, but exactly what consequences and who are the beneficiaries? Unless it was staged, which seems very improbable, a good few bridges were burnt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You could be right, he might have realised the military weren't breaking his way as the day progressed. Sure they had an unimpeded advance towards Moscow, but Wagner would have likely faced stiff resistance once they got there. Also by all accounts it seems Wagner would have been unable to capture any of the political or military leadership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭thereitisgone

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The fact that there are no Chechan fighters leaving Moscow suggests Putin knows whatever is happening, isint over yet or that this was just round 1. As long as Moscow sits in defense mode, Putin can't rest easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

So is the arrest warrant cancelled ?

Strange for such a quick deal to be made after treason.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is this the signs of people realiaing the fallibility of Putin and aren't afraid to stand up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

I should think they'd be there for a bit. Putin will be worried about his grip on power and be aiming to look strong in the days to come. One aspect of that will be boots in the capital. I'm not sure that Putin will be entirely comfortable that they are Chechen boots, though, and that he's essentially using one warlord to feel safe from another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Think it's more than that. Warlords rule Russia now, not Putin.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've consulted "the youth" and I believe you are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 JohnJoe1000

It's highly likely Wagner faced little to no resistance on their way to Moscow. Small town police and national guards aren't going to resist them but they would have more than likely been obliterated by the Russian airforce on the routes into Moscow.

This was their one chance and when the reality stared them in the face (or the drugs wore off) they seen sense and stuck it in reverse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Its does seem he polished off a bottle of Smirnoff last night and got a little brave, sobered up on the way to Moscow and quickly backtracked 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Wagner made territorial gains today not seen since the bkitzkrieg of 1940 . There must be thousands of Russian troops wondering whether to stay inching forward in Ukraine at terrible loss or sweep on unimpeded to Moscow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Finally the bunch of pussies might actually grow a pair and start a revolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Anyone recognise this guy? happened in Belarus this evening..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Prigozhin fell for the banana in the tail pipe, once in Belarus he'll fall from his basement window, 10 stories to his death, and land on a bullet that gets lodged in the back of his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Disappointing Russian people will see the best chance in 20 years of a coup against Putin failed after a day.

Disheartening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭macraignil

Not clear to me what has been going on in russia but the move to Belarus by Pregozhin is unlikely to see him simply agree to go into house arrest there in my opinion. Maybe the numbers of supporters he was hoping for did not appear but he still leads a force of experienced killers with some serious military equipment. I think it's much more likely that he is now going to be given a role securing Belarus as part of the russian federation and gets to keep his army there as without it putin or whoever is in control in the kremlin will just have him killed. Hopefully the shake up from this also sees moskovytes pull back from Ukraine to focus on internal security or opens a few cracks in their occupying forces sufficient for the Ukrainians to drive them out more quickly. Ukraine is still reporting making progress in their counteroffensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

No evidence the airforce would have attacked them significantly. Wagner appear to have a lot of sympathy from ordinary soldiers amd civilians.

Stopping at the gates of Moscow may be a fatal mistake for Wagner, as now they will be eliminated one by one. Putin never forgives or forgets.

Prigozhin will be lucky to survive another few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The Chechens and various other factions are waiting for the complete annihilation of the Russian army in Ukraine before launching a similar coup. Today showed how weak and defencelesss Putin is. Civil war in Russia is only a matter of time, and Wagner missed their best chance to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wonder is a risk of him setting up a wagner group mk2 and attacking Ukraine from the west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why would Lukashenko agree with that though? Or the Belarusian army? Inviting in Prigozhin and Wagner when they’ve seen what’s gone down?? Doesn’t make sense unless Prig has fully surrendered. Why would Shoigu etc resign in this case too? Nothing really adds up. Maybe there’s some wider play going on, with Putin being replaced??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

I can't help but feel in this case that it's better the devil you know.

Prigozhin is another scumbag who I don't think anyone should want in power. He's even more unhinged than Putin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

As many have already said throughout the day, something just feels off about all these events.

Lets look at it like this, before yesterday kicked off Putin and Shiogu were having real problems with Prigozhin and Wagner, criticising everything and causing problems, then refusing to back down on demands that wagner soldiers sign contracts with the MOD.

All of this then kicked off last night, Prigozhin and Wagner were getting little resistance on there march to Moscow.

Then all of a sudden its over Prigozhin agrees to go to Belarus, Wagner soldiers will now be made sign contracrs with the MOD. I think Prigozhin has been played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Seems that more than a few of his Wagnerites are dissatisfied in the extreme about their Boss's change of heart, and are showing it. With good cause too it seems. Putin's security / FSB are searching all over the place for them, identifying and tracking them down, which does not bode well for them. Shades of Erdogan's purge after the attempted coup in Turkey, where thousands were rounded up and imprisoned, in purges that are still ongoing to this day. Indirectly, this will be of benefit to Ukraine though, as it will rattle Putin's army and establishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭macraignil

Lukashenko already has invited in russian troops. Also seen reports he is on friendly terms with Progozhin. Maybe Luka simply sees wagner as being a more effective deterrent to anyone who would want to challenge his position as head of state in Belarus and Progozhin is happy to get a secure position as his well paid enforcer rather than take his chances against a much bigger military force in moskow. Just speculating and agree that with the information currently available things don't really add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭jackboy

He is probably a dead man walking now, it's not credible that Putin would let someone off the hook for a coup. Starting a coup is going all in, folding is not an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

elite Chechen troops

Any chance we could retire descriptions like this. Over the course of this war I don't think the Chechens have shown that they have any elite troops. Some of their supposedly best troops were killed by Bayraktar drone strikes in the suburbs of Kyiv in the very first week of the war.

Since then all they have done is:

• man checkpoints
    • act as blocking troops (ie shooting retreating soldiers)
    • harass, bully and even rape LNR/DNR troops
    • Record ridiculous tik-tok videos simulating fighting
    • Manage to give away their coordinates via said tik-tok videos and get blown up in Himars strikes.

Is there any evidence of them actually being good fighters on the front lines anywhere? I think they may have been involved in the siege of Mariupol but I cannot recall them being involved in anything else.

I think their reputation comes from their predecessors who humbled the Russians in the first Chechen war 30 years ago. This current crop have been dining out on that reputation but have done nothing to deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A fair oul pantomime today for the Russian residents and families who have those killed in Ukraine.

Onto the next 200k killed.

Who do the Russian public follow now if they want Putin stopped?

Only one came out of this supposedly alright was Lukashenko with his supposedly peace deal between the two.

Prigozhin for puppet president of Belarus.

Lukashenko for president of Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

As if Axl Rose couldn't get any cooler. F*** Roger Waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Wagnerites will be absorbed but with a major chip on their shoulders. Any of them that go loose will terrorize the civilian populace. Russia is in a karma blackhole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

canon fodder for the next meat grinder assault.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

They will kill him eventually. They won't risk him making a come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

ex CIA lad that has a very small social media presence based off his daughters account was speculated a lot and makes sense

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement