Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish rail fleet and infrastructure plans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I didn't mean for all of them to be stored pre Kilcock depot, but hadn't made that clear. Should have used better spacing!

Kilcock is a certainty, but they are also thinking of putting a drivers depot out in Bray, not a maintenance depot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The video in the tweet is odd looking. Is it CGI or live action but speeded up? Seems to be with a fisheye lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭TranslatorPS

but they are also thinking of putting a drivers depot out in Bray

Uhm, there's one already there, just an electric-only depot - unless you mean a diesel crew base as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Here (they actually have a Render of the new DART at Clontarf road)

The interesting bit for me:

Capitalising on Alstom’s successful initiatives to develop the first hydrogen and battery trains for regional networks, commuter networks can now also benefit from the latest innovations. With a range of up to 1,000 km without charging, zero-emission technology is mature enough to replace diesel for greener mobility.

1,000km is significant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Hopefully they'll be more reliable than the 8200s and 2700s. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

John Cradock Ltd has been awarded the contract to build the new Platform 6 at Kent Station in Cork. Work on the project will begin this summer.

This is very good news for rail users in Cork. A trebling of rail service capacity for this line is very welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

Apparently the developments in Cork are part-EU funded and thereby subject to tight time limits. Amazing how the bureaucracy can shift its ass when prodded by Europe. Purely domestic projets can take forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm not convinced of the fleet design requirements when they don't include toilets, when the stations they are intended to serve also omit those. Based on projected service patterns and expected journey times, there are still obvious downsides to a fleet without an essential facility provided for from day one.

I haven't seen a satisfactory explanation for how this use case should be treated effectively and comparable situations have led to the inevitable refurbs or infrastructure investments that public interest motivates, with obvious added costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ramasun

A reasonably priced monthly pass would generate enough demand to operate more services and expand the network.

If you build it they will come, but make it cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Catering trolleys spotted on some Cork services today, going by twitter

From what I've read, they'll be on some services from this week for training purposes, before a wider rollout on the Cork line later this month/early may.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

So if I get the MK4 express to Cork this summer, I can get a nice brekkie on the way down and a dinner on the way back?

Only the catering trolley is back as of now - so teas, coffees, snacks and maybe cold sandwiches. Unfortunately no dining car just yet 😞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

New Tender;

Short description

The Real-Time Customer Information (RTCI) project is a foundational project for improving the provision of real time service information to IÉ customers and staff and is included in the CIS Strategy recommendations. The project will support the creation of real time data services utilizing onboard equipment, the latest data management tools and will include the delivery of occupancy information and real time train location information, improved arrival time calculations and a vastly more reliable IT infrastructure. The RTCI project supports the Traffic Management System project in becoming the ‘single source of truth’ for real time customer information.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

The two lads in the photo look like they're staging a protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It's really quite a grim claim to say that the largest ever investment in Cork rail should be the addition of an extra platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The investment is a LOT more than one platform.

New rolling stock, signalling upgrades and doubling of the track to Midleton to start with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Will the Kent to Blackpool tunnel now become a bottleneck? Its two track, and thats that, but IE don't like to have two trains in the tunnel at the same time, so with all the intercity services in it, how easy will it be to have through running commuter services added to the mix too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

wasn't that the case with the Phoenix Park tunnel as well? IDK if it's changed since they started running commuter services through it but presumably once Dart+ is implemented there will definitely be 2 trains running through at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I have had 2 trains in Cork tunnel often. I think its only rare because P4 is preferred for Cork-Heuston trains. Given the schedules by the time an up train departs and switched to up line, it will be near the exit by the time the down trains gets a proceed aspect.

Not as common currently as they slowed down Cork trains because of poor OTP.

• Advertisement

The infrastructure works carried out prior to the introduction of the PPT services allow for two trains to pass in the tunnel.

The forthcoming engineering works between now and the end of September have been updated on the Irish Rail website this week.

Mercifully they reduce in number for the summer months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

2 Passenger trains.. Freight and passenger trains still aren't allowed to pass in the tunnel.. I regularly see the down IWT held just before the Old Cabra road over bridge waiting for a passenger train to clear the tunnel..

Not an issue in Cork of course!

3 of IE's track clearing ballast machines are undergoing a trial to reduce emissions using Hydro-Treated Vegetable Oil.

The trial has been ongoing with IE since March of this year.

It has reported in the RTÉ article above that 61,500 litres of diesel (45% of fuel consumption) were used on these ballast machines in 2022.

In any case this stuff about using the HVO in the national railway fleet sounds very encouraging.

It is a very good move to try and reduce our emissions on our rail infrastructure.

The heritage railway in Stradbally Co. Laois is currently using a similar renewable fuel for one of it's steam locomotives.

The renewable fuel in Stradbally is used with olive oil and wood pellets.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

The article says that "The machines account for about 45% of annual on-track fuel usage, consuming 61,500 litres of diesel in 2022."

When they say on-track fuel usage, do they mean all the fuel used by the fleet of Irish Rail?

If so, that means that the ballast machines use nearly as much fuel as all the passenger trains and the other non-passenger rail vehicles in Ireland combined. Can anyone here confirm if that is the case or not? If that's the case, it's a lot more than I would have thought, but I'm not an expert in railway engineering anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

He key to answering your question is the reference to 61,500 litres of diesel (which is 45% of on-track fuel usage).

61,500 litres is drop in the ocean compared with Irish Rail's total fuel consumption. It must refer to just on-track machines like ballast cleaners and tampers. It's badly-worded.

Bit random but is there a reason why a lot of ICRs have the couplers extended out. I know some drivers like to have them out but its seems a lot more common now so has something changed?

There was an issue with the extender system working correctly, so instruction went out to leave them in extended position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

IÉ now looking for a new Level Crossing System;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

That looks like a call for the crossing surface panels, nothing fancy or technical

Vending Machines to be rolled out with the ICR fleet to get them if succesiful. I think the idea of catering trolley/snack car on all services is unlikely to return anytime soon. Not enough money in it.

___

It will initially purchase nine vending machines as a trial and place them onboard the eight MKIV trains that operate the Cork-Dublin service, with one spare retained.

Planning to go out to tender in July, Irish Rail said it wants the vending machines to stock cold drinks, soft drinks, light snacks, and confectionery.

They will also be card-only, with no cash accepted.

____

QR Ticketing also rolled out from today.

Just to point out, the QR ticketing is on a bit of a limited rollout:

Plus, while you can scan the barcode from the pdf, the option to save to Apple Pay/Google Wallet etc. will be added "in a later phase"

I didn't know that IÉ had taken in delivery of 3 new track recording locomotives for their maintainence fleet.

There are photographs of one of these locomotives doing testing around Drumcondra and Connolly Station back in February of this year on Kieran Marshall's Flickr.

They were made by a company called Giesmar in the Netherlands. I am not familiar with them myself. However I read on some other website that the first of these locos were delivered to IÉ all the way back in 2020.

Why on earth did it take them 3 years to get them out to do mainline testing on our rail network.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭DoctorPan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

They have been down in Portlaoise PW depot for some time, its not just the safety approvals there is a lot of complex measurement equipment onboard to be setup, calibrate and integrate.

Quite a lot of new toys, the Kirow crane also has yet to be used in anger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A woman has died after two women was struck by a Dublin-bound train in Sligo.

The 3.05pm Sligo to Conolly Station Irish Rail service was stopped near Ballisadare in county Sligo after the incident. A woman in her 20s has been removed to Sligo University Hospital where she is being treated for "serious injuries".

Sadly, another woman in her 40s was pronounced dead at the scene. Emergency services remain at the scene.

garda spokeswoman said: "Gardai and emergency services are currently at scene of an incident which occurred on the train line at Knocks Park, Ballisadare, Co. Sligo this afternoon, Wednesday 14th June 2023

RIP

Very tragic. Hope the family are doing ok, and that the driver is getting the help and support needed at this time.

Reinforces just how dangerous it is to trespass on the tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I recall somebody posting an image during the last few weeks, showing IE's pland for new infrastructure by 2030 / 2040 / 2050.

Does anybody know where it is? In what thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think it was in the Dart+ thread.

• Irish Rail will also receive €1.3 million for studies which will examine the doubling of track capacity between Dublin’s Connolly and Malahide train stations, where DART and intercity traffic currently share the same tracks.

• Irish Rail will receive €2.6 million towards feasibility studies guiding a range of technical and organisational measures aimed at improving train services between Dublin and Cork.

• Advertisement

Doubling track capacity the whole way just isn't feasible. It'll surely just be passing loops here and there.

Obviously closer to malahide there's a lot of farming land, that would be easy enough to acquire and expand on. But much less when you get closer to the city.

Well this is funding for a feasibility study, so it should allow us to see exactly what could be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

I think a good start would be to have quad tracks at the stations. This way, a fast train could overtake a DART while it's stopped at a station, but there would be no need to quad track the line fully.

There just isn't the space at most stations closer to the city for quad tracking.

It's extraordinary how many people have just decided this already.

Sure, Irish Rail have just got EUR 1.1m of funding from the EU to examine the feasibility of something that just cannot be done.

I think maybe it might be an idea to wait and see what the report comes up with before writing it off.

The key section is Clontarf Road to Raheny which is where an outer suburban train/Enterprise could overtake a DART that left ahead of it from Connolly at line speed. Beyond Raheny to Howth Junction, the buildings are right up against the permanent way which makes life very difficult.

Sounds like you agree with me so. There's space between Connolly and Raheny, but I don't think you'll get a quad track in there. I've been on some morning trains that have taken 14 minutes to travel one stop, between Clontarf Road and Connolly. The signalling system just can't handle the capacity, and fails on a regular basis. Not to mention the Dublin to Belfast service that fails more days than not. And they aren't planning to replace that with railcars as far as I'm aware.

What's your definition of line speed? Currently, trains headed for the north travel fairly slow out of Connolly unfortunately.

Not quite. Operationally it is not needed for the entire route from Connolly to Malahide. As long as two trains can pass on the move between Connolly and Howth Junction that would mean that the 10 minute DART and other services could co-exist, along with more quad tracking north of Howth Junction.

I have been consistent about my view that unless quad tracking is put in place along that section between Clontarf Road and Raheny, then outer suburban commuters and Intercity customers are destined to crawl along for eternity. They are stuck behind the DART that left ahead of them from Connolly until Howth Junction. It will have to happen somehow, despite what some people think. This is a key piece of transport infrastructure.

Line speed is the maximum speed permitted on a particular stretch of track.

The line speed on the northern line to the border is 90mph, but there is a permanent speed restriction of 70mph between Dublin Connolly and Clongriffin which let's be honest is rarely achieved.

They've just started the process of searching for replacement rolling stock for the Enterprise FYI, but that will take some time to happen. There are problems with the rolling stock, particularly the generator vans at the moment I believe.

The signalling is a hotch-potch of systems, some of which has been renewed and some of which hasn't. The move to the new control centre at Heuston along with the implementation of DART+ should resolve the problems, but right now, it's all held together almost with a piece of string.

I was just asking about line speed, as I thought you were expecting the trains leaving Connolly to hit 90mph asap. And that's hard to see for a long time.

I know they are planning to put out a tender for new rolling stock for the Enterprise, but isn't it still based on a loco? It needs to be railcars for reliability, but with a decent first class section. Not like what the have the ICRs. The current service is a complete joke, and really embarrassing for Irish Rail.

ETCS 1 will be a big improvement alright, and I think they plan to roll it out on older stock eventually too.

If quad tracking was in place between Clontarf Road and Raheny, then, yes, the Enterprise would be leaving Connolly and accelerating to 70 mph asap.

I would expect completely new rolling stock which will be bi-mode for the Enterprise, and no separate loco.

The signalling problems are mainly down to the IT equipment in CTC, its relationship with the other systems, and the Clonsilla panel equipment (which governs much of the Maynooth line) which are verging on prehistoric.

Add to that the fact that you have far longer signalling sections on the Maynooth and southeastern lines which means fewer trains can operate.

You can't fix everything at the same time.

Are they looking at bi-mode for the enterprise?

• Advertisement
Advertisement