Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That was just an awful performance, no legs, no energy, no intensity. Can't seem to cope with week on week games. Played lots of long balls and played right into Galways strength, really was clueless stuff.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Woeful stuff. If I was a neutral, I'd have turned If off at half time. Our forwards just can't win a fifty-fifty ball . The amount of times we gave away the ball playing handball in defence. Today tipp hurling was ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

Identical to Waterford performance in terms of complete lack of intensity. Is it the week turnover? Surely not, given that last week was played at a slower pace than a training match between the first XV and the rest of the panel.

I think something changed after the Cork game, in that we started to worry too much with matchups and what the other team was doing, and less about what we were doing. Which was crazy, given we were by far the better team against Cork. Just chalk it down to a lapse in concentration for some of the goals. Yes we were conceeding goal chances but we were getting plenty of them too. And goals were our identity. Since that game, we scored 1 goal in the 3 games against serious opposition (not even worth counting the Offaly game), and that was todays one which was quite fortunate.

We showed so much respect to Waterford, keeping the sweeper and letting them come out uncontested with the puckouts. Same again today, Galway's puckout was completely uncontested but when it came to ours, Galway often removed the option to go short. At least make the other team think about it, christ.

Long ball after long ball down on top of their congested 45. No ball winner in there until Gearoid came on but we decided to keep at it anyway. When Cork congested the middle against us, we worked it wide to Kennedy who had the freedom of PUC to drive up and down the wing. Here, we played right into Galways hands, as we did Waterford.

Seamie starting worried me a lot, because it was obvious to anybody with eyes that he wasn't capable of getting involved in the game enough. I wrote a post about it during the week. And he was awful. He touched the ball maybe once in the first half and that was to try and run in a misplaced puckout from 45 years for a goal, despite him being one of the slowest lads on the pitch at this point. That needs to be his last game.

Barrett was left to suffer for some reason after having probably his worst ever game for us. Think Cahill really needs to go away over the next few months and look at exactly what the hell happened from 3 great Munster performances to Joe Mc level diarrhea against Waterford and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

cahill needs to be called out on today , same tactic over and over again , in the off chance tipp run the ball through the lines tipperary usually scored, but ignored it , cathal barrett got ran over by conor whelan but no change ever took place , rhys shelly pulled off six saves in the entire game , and with galway playing 7 behind the ball at all times there was no sign of a tipp sweeper or extra man anywhere

john keenan didnt do any favors for ye in the last few minutes either when the game was in the balance ,its not conditioning in my opinion that lost today it was tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

is Colm Bonnar down there ? you could nearly send liam cahill down their with him he'd have great craic down there with Bonnar, babas and your man pennywise with the balloons 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

My Dad said early on in the year that it would be a result if Tipp made it to the All-Ireland QFs and he was right - just about! Hopefully I can take him down to more games in his home county in 2024!

Everything seemed to go wrong after the Limerick match which they only scraped through at the end. Went to the Waterford match and there was a real lack of depth I thought - when the first choices are injured, the second choices aren't able to cope all that well. That was a real downer to watch. Went to the Offaly game which was obviously of low value given the mismatch in abilities. Watched today on TV Thought the lads were very tired today but they did at least try and were even able to stage a fightback for a bit in the second half.

It's not a total loss but best to look at this as a building year. Hopefully the the lads will be able to take from 2023 and learn for 2024 and some new lads will come in. Also they need to become more physically resilient, Galway were pretty physical out there, as they always are.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭farmerval

Tactically, again hitting long ball that none of our inside forwards are able to win is nuts, yesterday our backs were cleaned out in the air, I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Our forwards were cleaned out in the air and on the ground, any ball not won cleanly Galway mopped up at their ease. Same as the Waterford game, we allowed their backs endless time on the ball to pick out their deliveries.

I don't know what way we lined out, but we were outnumbered up front, were caught two on two at the back and we didn't seem to have a numerical advantage anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

That’s the luxury bathroom of the state of the arse Gaelic grounds.

Both Dublin and Tipp had about 20 mins in them yesterday.

Tactics and match ups were wrong. Barrett certainly hasn’t recovered from the concussion and shouldn’t have played. One of the weakest parts of our squad this year was the physio and doctor. Barrett playing on with a concussion against Limerick. Brian McGrath playing on with a punctured lung against Waterford. Forde playing on with a. Hamstring injury against Cork. Something needs to be done there.

Tipp have to learn a containment plan to their game going forward though - it can’t be all attack. Attacking play is what beat suits the outfit but you must be able to play different ways. That starts with the forwards.

Better than last year…

I tried to tell RTE ‘no recording’’ - no dice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

McCormack started on Whelan. Then Barrett and finally Breen. Bit disingenuous saying they didn't try to halt his gallop.

Once they decided to move McCormack onto C. Mannion in the second half Tipp dragged themselves back into the game. Hindsight is a great thing but I'm sure Cahill will feel if they did it earlier the result could of been different.

Not defending Cahill but sometimes a team grossly under performs other than replacing 10 of them it's a losing battle.

Maher was unbelievable in the pocket. Something that may not be mentioned but his reading of the game was phenomenal. Cut out a lot of channels for Galway especially in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Glenomra

As someone who remembers decades of tipperary hurling teams it fascinates me how modern tipp teams are so far behind in the physical stakes. All 4 teams left in the all Ireland, clare, limerick, galway and kilkenny are far more physical. How ye hoped to match galway playing some of those light hurlers is beyond me. Well capable of destroying poor Offaly but not any of the top counties. Need players with the requisite strength and conditioning in my humble opinion but then as a Clareman what would one of us lesser mortals know about tipperary hurling.

• Advertisement

We have some more depth than what was on display v Waterford, but they are all injured long term. Ger Browne, Paddy Cadell, Craig Morgan (who started and went off injured again against Offaly), Ciaran Connolly, Barry Heffernan - All 5 of those would have been on the panel (Morgan was).

Look, ultimately it was year 1 and there were some real positive signs in our opening 3 games. It just feels bad because the start promised so much and the finish was so poor.

Lohan's Clare didn't show anything until year 3. Kiely's Limerick played 2 and lost 2 in 2017.

While I was disappointed with some of his decisions over the last few weeks, and there are real questions over him having teams burnt out too quickly in this round robin structure - still believe if Cahill can't get us competitive over the next 2-3 years then nobody can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Who would you consider light?

Tony Kelly, O Donnell and Duggan fall over with a strong gust of wind never mind what would happen if Breen Maher or McGrath ran into them.

Our fullback line was not dependable, Barrett and Breen did good stuff and then mess up next ball and give away scores. As for balls into the forwards, no opposition is going to allow a forward run out for a ball unchallenged and this is where Tipp have had issues for years, our forwards can't win 50/50 high or low balls . Compare Bonner with the rest of the tipp forwards , he's a ball winner under pressure. Wristy hurlers is great if someone is winning possession but not worth a damm if the opposition is winning most . I wonder do teams take a simple game and make it to complicated . Would a young Eoin Kelly have been able to show off his skills playing with that tipp team last night, I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Our problems are not in the back line. We scored more in the last twenty minutes than in the first fifty minutes. We couldn’t make the ball stick up front. O’Connor changed that. Galway back keep winning ball and delivering ball into their forwards for the first fifty. What back line can cope with that?

Also, Forde is our best forward. He’s an inside forward. While he was our best half forward in the first half, why he’s still playing out there is beyond me. Robbing Peter to pay Paul. In essence. We chose to put our best forward on their best back. We chose to do that… that’s crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭farmerval

Against Waterford we hit endless long straight ball from our 21-45 down to the full forward line, and when we didn't win it we immediately moved back the field and clogged the midfield area, leaving Waterford and yesterday Galway to saunter out and play long ball to their forwards the way they wanted it.

The question is how our management expect it to work better yesterday than against Waterford? I am genuinely puzzled. In the early round robin games we played a lot of good ball through the lines, got a lot of good scores from it. Seamie Callanan has never been any good on long 50:50 balls, if Tipp played like this for the last 12 years he'd have never been on the team, it's just not his game.

Tipp didn't look right yesterday, they looked sluggish, some of their passing wasn't sharp. That is all on the management team, this is their 4th? round robin, they should no how to have the team at the right pitch for games. Our half backline was cleaned out in the air, which I never imagined would happen. I actually thought before the game that Galway who normally hit a lot of long ball would suit us. In the earlier rounds we looked supreme in the air, at times in games our half backline looked impregnable, did teams adapt? play more long ball over our half backs?

Barrett playing yesterday when he clearly wasn't right looked like amateur hour. The Co Board really need to step in here and make sure that we have the best in terms of S&C and medical back up. We've seen in the past the difference this makes. The Polish S&C guy that left us to go to Galway? there was a noticeable fall off when he went, then when Sheedy came back the guy with the funny Irish name, I won't try and spell he came in and we looked really fit and sharp.

Are the Setanta crowd involved with the seniors or is that only underage??

Cairbre O'Cearaillain was the guy who was involved from 19-21. He's with Limerick now. The Polish lad you mentioned was Lukasz Kirkenstein who is now head of Galways S&C. So we have become a shop-window of sorts for S&C personnel which tells its own story.

Agree with your points. Tactically we got it very wrong.

Not sure if Setanta College are doing the S&C across the board or just underage.

Cahill has only been in charge of 2 round robins. Last year with Waterford and this year with Tipp.

It does seem to be an issue with peaking right. He will need to learn from it.

I don't think S&C is an issue. We wouldn't have had a stronger last 20 than the previous 50 if it was. If it's not an issue against Limerick, it's not an issue against anyone.

After losing every game last year by an average of 8 points, belief is an issue.

Tipp hurled with fear, especially at the beginning and against Waterford too when something was really on the line in terms of grasping something tangible. A final.

Tactically we were out thought too. O'Connor coming on and the move of Dan onto Mannion - changed it. But it was too late.

It was always a long term job.

• Advertisement

Don't think Galway looked a whole lot better than tipp in the S&C department,

Seami has scored plenty of goals from 50/50 long ball

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I suppose the bottom line is we have a few too many average hurlers on the panel. Thus we are trying to convert wing backs into wing forwards and centre field players into full backs. There were some woeful errors made last night and some terrible wides. Also I've said all along that we simply over elaborate the passing at times. All that said we are Tipperary and rather than wallowing in this defeat we need to keep calm , none of the teams in this competition are miles ahead of us.

Refreshing a player's career in a new position or promoting a player to a more important position (or asking a player to do a job in a position) is pretty standard practice across the decades in most counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Breen offers so much of what we lack out the field, I don't think he's the answer at full back. O'Mara could be the answer.

Big problem for yesterday was we went long with the ball too often, very little playing it through the lines and players running off the shoulder. Very similar to Waterford game, players looked tired early on and when you're tired alot more likely to keep hitting it long and hope for the best.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

You're correct but TBH I don't think the tactics we use or don't use make much difference to the fact that like it or not we do have a shortage of above average hurlers. EG if you take our forward line we are depending on the same few forwards to deliver on the scoreboard every game. I know all the talk about workmate etc but we have some forwards who simply do not deliver on the scoreboard. But as I've said previously we shouldn't get disheartened., there are no teams in this competition that are head and shoulders above us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

we're you able to get a ticket alright dan, I was very worried about you with the awful shortage of tickets!!

• Advertisement

Something to watch and maybe something that might cheer you up before the TSG comes on. If you're coming from a good place and you're committed, it's more than enough. RIP Jock. (John Doyle enjoyed it anyway)

Galtee Mountain Boy - Patsy O'Halloran - YouTube

Advertisement