Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Comerman

Poor ould Fogarty gets blamed for everything 🤣 there's also 6 backs and a goalie between mid field and the back of the net 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Village87

Delighted for Henry. Galway showed great resilience to bounce back from the Leinster final 2 weeks ago and put in a performance like that where they completely bullied and dominated Tipp. As stated above Galway were 10 points the better team and hurling only ok. Tipp have an awful lot of questions to answer after that performance, they were very very poor. I have been critical of Galway after some of there performances in Leinster especially when they went 14 points down v Dublin but showed great character today.

Kilkenny and Clare will be a cracker. Kilkenny will be licking there lips after watching the Clare backs today. A dogged performance like Galway today and the few classy forwards we have should hopefully get us over the line, Kilkenny will have no fear of Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Seadin

Clare won't fear Kilkenny this time around either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'd have doubts over Cahill's ability to manage training loads over a season after Tipp's drop off this year and Waterford last year, yourselves and Clare is a complete 50/50 while I'd still have Limerick slight favourites Galway aren't going into that game without hope. Finn and Hannon is a big void to fill while Lynch is clearly hampered by injuries and the likes of Hegarty, Peter Casey, Flanagan a bit hit and miss. Conor Whelan was poor in the Leinster round robin phase but his last 2 performances have him with the likes of Gillane, Tony Kelly, Eoin Cody and Tom Morrissey in hurler of the year contention depending on how the remaining games go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭blackcard

Although we are the outsiders according to the bookies of the 4 teams left, I wouldn't say we are without hope if we have a full deck to deal from. Last year, Tony Kelly carried an injury into the match. It will be interesting to see if Kilkenny deploy Mikey Butler to manmark him. We are definitely struggling with strength in depth, particularly in the forwards. Clare do seem to have weaknesses in the full back line, hopefully we exploit that. I think every Kilkenny supporter would have settled for a semi final this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

outsiders , would you go way you bolix

we pucked 24 wides from play last year against ye (apparently a record ), mikey butler destroyed kelly , conlon is out again conor cleary is out , shane o donal is out .....give us some chance !!😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

According to boylesports we are the bookies outsiders, no need to be calling people names! We are 11/2, longest odds of the last four.

Presumably because we can't keep up with the intensity of the Munster lads, you know yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Jacob can never see Kilkenny winning...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭MfMan

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Marrooned

FairPlay to Ursula Jacob nothing like the Leinster counties supporting one another like Munster do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Galway have looked average enough all year long but are coming right just about now when they need to be. Still very hard to see them take down Limerick even without Finn and most likely Hannon. They've only won 1 game in croke park since all Ireland win six years ago so that is likely to play on the minds of everyone in that camp.

I wouldn't take too much notice of the munster panelists view like Shane Dowling and Brendan Cummins predicting clare v Limerick All Ireland without much thought, likewise with Jacob I dont think her analysis is as spot on as before.

Paddy powers have limerick and clare as favourites now with us in 3rd and galway in 4th. that will suit Kilkenny down to the ground as I think most pundits will tip Clare to beat us this year.

Dublin showed a few weaknesses in that clare backline yesterday, and if they are missing Cleary and Conlon for the semi final again Kilkenny forwards will be licking their lips as I think Rory Hayes, Darragh Lohan and even Adam Hogan all their to be got at. Hopefully Adrian Mullen, Mossy and Richie Reid will be right for this game as we need everyone available be it starting or coming off the bench to push it home. Might be hard to see Darragh Corcoran start next game as he was under presure last day too and if he is Clare will target him to run at.

Ah well I’d be surprised if any of the pundits did back us, any time we beat a team Donal og and the rest of the panel do be telling us where the other team went wrong as in the semi final against Clare last year they were tired and Conlan were missing.no credit whatsoever given to KK .but there is only one way to shut them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Also Interesting that since Clare's all Ireland win 10 years ago they have only played in Croke park twice since and drawn with Galway in 18 and lost comprehensively to ourselves last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hogans heroes

We have the edge on clare and they will bee under huge pressure after last year.mikey surely will tail kelly after his 3-4 yesterday. Galway murdered tipp yesterday even if the scoeboard said 2pts.we have every chance IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 18 longcovid

well she does have a crystal ball in her caravan but apparently it's cracked 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

You've touched on an interesting point which I spoke about with friends last night - the narrative is ALWAYS about how the other team went wrong whenever Kilkenny win. Galway were robbed in the Leinster final apparently - nothing about how they were outhurled for long periods in that game. Clare were exhausted last year after Munster. Galway never turned up in last years Leinster final. There was one common denominator in all of those games which the half assed punditry from Jacob etc all never seem to realise or recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭kk.man

I would be wary of Clare. After last year I would say that was not a true reflection. They threw the kitchen sink at limerick but lost hence they weren't at the pace against Kilkenny in the semi final.

Galway (i predicted their win over Tipp) have the ability to topple limerick...I think limerick are vulnerable this year. I don't think Munster is a good as gage as the pundits make out.

rte build up munster as a selling point , the history and rivals and all that , the match days themselves are an event more so a match , the scenes at the munster final were more akin to glastonbury or the electric picnic

when we played ye last year in croke pk we brought 40,000 supporters up with us most of whom were hitting the big tree and then coppers after the game and making a weekend of it , the build up was huge ,

kilkenny arived in there cars came saw conquered and left as if they had just watched a club game , it was just buisness as usual kilkenny people and leinster people alike dont buy into the fanfare that surrounds munster counties

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Well I can't speak for all Kilkenny supporters but I can say I know my hurling, I know how to enjoy/appreciate success and how to appreciate our teams genuine efforts and modest conduct.

I dont mean that , i just think too many people in clare jump on the bandwaggon when things are going good and dont want to know about it in the bad days ,

kilkenny people have been around the block so much they know not to get too excited with a facile 14 point win , as i say the people from clare heading to coppers are more used to going across the water to man united games then hurling games

• Advertisement

Yet again Donal og high lights tipps failures instead of praising Galway’s progress.

I understand your point, I just decided to use the opportunity to say how much I enjoy Kilkenny hurling.

In fairness they did give Galway credit and he is correct in saying that Tipp were poor on the day. However, Galway should have been further ahead at the end and would probably have beaten Tipp even if Tipp had played better. Galway work rate was much better than Tipps.

its rte that drive this crap , they make out munster hurling is superior to everything else because it draws people in

last year i was impressed and almost jelous how kilkenny people just got to their cars and headed home while people in clare jerseys were tuning an all ireland semi final in to a big weekend out regardless of the result

in truth i want us to be like ye and be more bullish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭kk.man

I was brought up on the premise if you win a Leinster Final there is a good chance of winning an All Ireland. Back in the day when Wexford and Offaly were strong it meant you had a competitive game time. Even if you charter Offalys success they beat Kilkenny in most years and their strike rate was very good afterwards. Leinster hurling may not have the competitive edge in every game but when the two best teams reach the Leinster final the best would take any Munster champion out on average in any given era.

its a bit like that ruby walsh statement for irelands greatest sporting achievement , he launched in to the jack charlton era and said they won nothing and we were too busy celebrating mediocre victorys in terms of world cup 2nd rounds or group stage wins in stead of acknowledging world champions at the time like sonia o sullivan or say steve collins

rte will make a big deal of the popular narrative ,a lot of clare supporters are the type of viewers that pay the licence and not pay attention to reality

• Registered Users Posts: 14 njcat

RTE GAA reporting is driven by audience size in my opinion. Kilkenny is < 100k along with Leitrim. Munster hurling is over 1 million and Dublin is 2 million. Galway is sizeable. Cork commentators have dominated with DO’G followed by Donal Og - 400k audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 njcat

Ursula Jacob is influenced by Kilkenny losses in Leinster RR. Strange that they don’t notice that Kk compete for AI honours in March and June. Other than that they are conserving energy. They always peak for the big games starting with a WE away in Carton House for bonding & focus. Wx would have been hammered by Kk in an AI semi.

• Advertisement

exactly but that wont get many sponsors on bord or fair weather clare supporters to jump on board , i actually think sunday weeks game is 50/50 ,unlike last year but kilkenny wont be shacking in their boots either , 15 clare wides in oceans of space against a dublin team without donal burke , i doubt racard cody is intimidated let alone brian!!

Advertisement