Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Just home hard to read anything into it really Sligo were awful .Nothing new overall our full back line will ship goals against the top teams so it looks like we will have to bag a couple ourselves from here on .We left a couple of goals behind us today I know the game was done but we seem a bit Conservative in that regard .We will need better from Paul Mannion any remaining matches should be stepping up now a lot from the ones so far .Not a bad turnout from Dubs today even if it felt like a challenge game for most of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Sweet lord above that was a disgrace today.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Yep. Gave them no chance at the start but then they were competing well enough for a time albeit Clare were off their game but then they just upped their game and left Dublin in their wake. Huge gaps at the back for Dublin, Clare waltzed through for their goals.

I wasn't holding out much hope for a win today but there's no excuse for rolling over and having your belly tickled. We're not at the top table for sure but we should never be shipping a hiding like that. Same old mental weakness popping it's ugly head up yet again. Beaten before a ball was thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The worst part is I don't think Clare are any great shakes. Dublin still got two goals and had numerous chances. The Dublin defence was very poor though. Having to move Eoghan into the forwards does not say much for the forwards either.

I don't think it is as bad as it looks though, a decent centre half back and a scoring forward suddenly this Dublin team looks miles different.

I was thinking at how Tipp converted Michael Breen from midfield into a full back. Could Dublin do the same for centre back? Needs an organiser shouter at the back.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry Gorm but you don't ship 5-26, lose by 18, and say it wasn't that bad. It was diabolical and there's no sugarcoating it I'm afraid.

Moving Eoghan into the forwards does weaken the defense but surely not by that much.

There's ae tal weakness ingrained in this team that shows no sign abating.

The hope I am clinging to is that defensive stuff can be learned over time, if it is drilled into them. Time and again Kelly was playing cute with his movement and Dublin had no answer. They just have to put the work in training now with the video analysis etc. Past Dublin sides had way more structure.

In the past fellas mightn't be the best hurlers but they knew where they were supposed to be on the pitch. In my head i am thinking about Dalo's team where they ALL worked like dogs. Leg work, structure covered up deficiencies. Can it be done again?

Or has hurling moved on? And I am talking through me hat?

The tactical side of the game has gone up massively since Dalo was in charge. A game can often be won or lost on from the analysis done before a game. That said, there's no tactics in the world going to work if you don't put the work in on the pitch.

The team just didn't work hard enough for each other today. How many times was ball played into Kelly and the other forwards with little to no pressure on the player with the ball. That's bloody criminal at any level but at the business end of the season you'll be destroyed and we were today.

I seem to remember the same sort of stuff happening at a game v KK in Parnell. TJ Reid working space effortlessly etc. Same craic.

Yep, it's the same mistakes all over again. You don't give TJ or Kelly that type of space unless your smoking crack.

• Advertisement

The problem is lads like those are thinking three steps ahead, the Dublin lads only realise the danger when it is too late, wondering where the opponent has gone. I think it is just experience/repetition/training.

Plus when Chris Crummey comes back surely he will make a big difference? Unfortunately though Dublin are not producing many hurling 'warriors' like him, Nevermind the constant lack of scoring forwards issue.

All of that rings true but what is the identity of this Dublin team over the past number of seasons?

Are we hard to beat? No

Do we go after the opposition teams inside backs to get goals? No

Do we pressure from the front? No

Do we use short passing to open up space for scoring opportunities? Not really.

Honestly, can you tell me what this team is about?

Now, with that rant out of the way, I actually think we've some decent younger players coming through. But the county board have failed the hurlers over rthe past few years with chopping and changing (sometimes not quick enough) and there's no real plan in place for the senior panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

nothing wrong with player commitment today it was on the line that cost ye ,

How many changes did michael donohue have to make between positional and subs , at one point early in the second half i turned to a mate of mine and called paddy smith the redlight district , his helmet color the fact he was getting cleaned and a target to hit , he was moved for the last 25 minutes to full back and was excellent , when eoin o donnelll moved out the field he really drove dublin on , he had a fantastic game

fergal whitley and alex considine were excellent both never started , the top scorer in the country went off after 8 minutes too paul crummy, danny sutcliffe and cian o'sullivan were excellent too

scoring 2-17 on top of all that is a good days work normally ,but why not drop an extra man back? galway in the second game dropped nilland into midfield and pauric manion back to between the 45 and 65 as extra cover from the start today , the man that played the very same tactic wining an all ireland today refused to do the same

dublin played wit 3 men up top from start to finish today , ridicules a team known for its hard work and tightness today left both the front and back doors open , dublin hurling is fine , dublin club hurling is in a good place i wont be blaming the players here

in football the saying up north is backs win matches forwards depend by how much , that may have been true in the second game today but in the first the dublin back 6 were given no chance ,given how the set up

You've hit the nail on the head there. In a lot of games our back 6 front up really well. The problem is ball just keeps raining down on them because there's no plan to cut of supply at midfield or the opposition halfbacks.

I couldn't believe Donohue didn't drop a third man into midfield for the start of the game. You know how Clare like to play so why give them so much space there.

I was thinking there that the way Dublin defended was like herding sheep through a gap. Leave the gap stand there with your sticks and let them right down the middle! (Probably the most country thing I have ever said - I wouldn't be surprised if it gets me a ban from this thread!)

What you say there makes a lot of sense, but then it begs the question if it was so obvious to you, why did O'Donoghue send Dublin out like he did? All of that is just basic structure nothing to do with the hurling level of the players.

There was something Daly said outside on the pitch there yesterday, he said that a lot of the Dublin players are nowhere near the level of units that the Galway/Clare/Tipp lads are.

Then it got me thinking why that would be the case. Most likely because those physically strong/athletic fellas are hoovered up by the football then lost to hurling.

There is a former Dublin forward I thought of immediately. Not flashy, didn't have a load of pace. But had the strength to win ball that was lamped into him. Conal Keaney. He would make a bad ball, good. Had the intelligence to know where the other players were on the pitch, take a simple score or lay it off.

Even a fella like him would have taken enormous pressure off Dublin yesterday. And it is a terrible thing to say, but I only appreciate how good Keaney was now that he is gone. He was a real outlet, and a great team player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

This is gonna sound a bit dickish and I repeat it often but I don't know how it's not obvious to anyone with a brain what the problem is... Dublin are miles off in the physical stakes. Miles off. I was at the game yesterday. The Clare subs basically did a training session at the end, as a warmdown!

In the game proper? For the second goal the Clare midfielder burst through two Dublin lads, they barely slowed him up in contact, he then proceeded to outpace both of them running 40 yards with the sliothar. Conor Burke showed signs that the lactic had built up in him towards the end, the Clare lad not a bother to him. All over the pitch Dublin lads battled but were knocked off their feet by hefty challenges. We get outpaced, outmuscled and outmanoeuvred and I still have to listen to shitebags on the Tele talking about Dublin's athleticism. It's infuriating. Eoghan O'Donnell can hold his own and that's about it. He can break a tackle and keep up in a foot race. No one else in blue can do both to the level required. Clare by contrast have a bunch of lads who can do both. We're not even talking about Limerick and I shouldn't have to mention what the standards are like with those fellas.

Until Dublin address the physical disadvantages they suffer they have no chance of getting closer. 'Wristy hurling' and 'talent' is a poor second to pace, power and preparation. No one says it but it's true.

And the biggest question is how much is physical versus mental at that level? It's not like our lads are small fellas either but for the most part seem like they miss the aggression the top teams bring. Now, I'm not taking about dirty strokes or anything like that but by jaysus you'd know you were in a game with those other team after it but I don't know if the same is true for us.

You don't have to be a unit to stop a lad running clean through you. It comes down to knowing how to foul properly and not being afraid to give your opponent a message that it's man or ball going past but not both.

Anyway, that's all cliche bollix from me but it feels like the case. It wasn't that long ago Clare were a nice team to play against, similar to us, but my word they've turned it around. It can be done and I hope there's a plan being worked on to make the lads fitter, stronger both physically and mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The draw for the football is it tonight or tomorrow morning?

Praying we don't get the half 3 4pm game on Sunday cause I've to go to gig in Trinity at 7 no bloody way anyone is gonna mind the kids for whole day haha.

Saturday afternoon against Cork or Monaghan be nice! **** it I'd even take Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Its all physical for me. It starts there. What we're reading as mental is lads bearing the scars of lost battles. If Shane O'Donnell turns you inside out, runs through, around you, at his leisure, and if there's very little you can seemingly do to stop him, eventually your head will drop. You and I could take the pitch with the greatest intentions and with all of the aggression in the world (the right kind) but we'd soon get exposed against lads who are capable of exposing us. Would our approach be affected by this chastening experience? I think it would.

All of our bigger lads lack pace and all of our pacier lads lack power. Paddy Doyle for example is a talented lad but he'll never realise his potential unless his S&C is at a level that allows him to compete. That's not happening in Dublin. We need a JP McManus type and we could turn Paddy Doyle into a Kyle Hayes!

Yeah heard it there at half time. Looks like Galway are **** the bed against Mayo as usual. I'd want us to play either one these on the way just not to early!

That's a fair point corny and makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

eoin o donnell was excellent in midfield when he was moved up , and paddy smith held his own when moved inside to full back

i watched the game back today , brendan cummins at half time said that it might look like a soft call in the second half to drop a man back , maybe thats why dublin didnt drop a man back or push o donnell into midfield because it might send out the wron message

ye are bang on about the conditioning too we played 15 v 15 . galway for example dont they normally play with 4 forwards and flood the middel 3rd , us playing 15 v 15 allowed us to make loads of runs off the ball and create gaps all over the place , a bit like the dublin footballers in jim gavins time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Mayo!

Oooo that will be interesting now. Mayo didn't exactly look great yesterday but they will be really fired up for this you would think. Still think Dublin should go into it as favourites. Now just pray its on Saturday ha even though it wont be!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I know but you want them in the final not the knockouts.

Could be the first full house in Croker this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Hard to see Mayo being strong enough midfield, they were ate alive there yesterday. If Dublin to a full high pressure press, then I cant see their being any other winner bar Dublin. Dublin have to be aggressive and forwards will have to work hard pressing, that means Dean Rock wont be starting

Dublin should be gunning for Revenge after 2021!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m really worried that Mayo’s win v Galway could be like Dublins famous horrible win v Donegal in 2011. It stood to us in the final.

Mayo have shown time and time again that they can find form when they need it in the knockouts. They have had better prep and literally just knocked out one of the AI favourites away from home. It doesn’t matter how you play at this stage, but beating quality teams can only breed confidence.

What have Dublin done in 2023 that would have any of us confident they will be confident going into the game this weekend ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think it's fifty fifty myself Mayo have had a couple of good wins this year and usually play well against us .Our form is a bit unknown and I think a lot are thinking we are more or less close to the force we were a couple of years back I believe we have regressed so am hoping we can get through but no surprise if we don't.

Advertisement