Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

nah the fsb aren't all that it's a myth pushed by popular culture. russia has been reduced to a few blisters of local powers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The Master of the Kremlin had to make a deal with a convict—again, in Putin’s culture, among the lowest of the low—just to avert the shock and embarrassment of an armed march into the Russian capital while other Russians are fighting on the front lines in Ukraine.

Prigozhin drew blood and then walked away from a man who never, ever lets such a personal offense go unavenged. Putin, however, may have had no choice, which is yet another sign of his precarious situation. All of the options were terrifying: Ordering the Russian military to attack armed Russian men would have been a huge risk, especially because those men (and their hatred of the bureaucrats at the Defense Ministry) have at least some support among Russia’s officers and political elites. Killing Prigrozhin outright was also a high-risk proposition: With their leader dead and the Russian military closing in, the Wagnerites might have decided to fight to the death.

This wound to Putin’s power goes deep, but how deep is difficult to gauge for now, especially since we do not know whether Shoigu or Gerasimov still have their jobs. And while the rebellion has taken Wagner off the field in Ukraine, Putin may still seek to cover this ignominious effort by escalating Russia’s brutality there. But two things appear certain. First, Putin has suffered a huge political blow, and he has survived by making deals both with Prigozhin and his own colleagues in the Kremlin that are, by any definition, a humiliation. And second, Yevgeny Prigozhin has changed the Russian political environment surrounding Putin’s war in Ukraine.

The end of a piece in The Atlantic by Tom Nichols

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JohnJoe1000

Say what you want about Putin he started the day looking like he was about to lose power and ended it in a stronger position with the pretender banished to Belarus.

He's like that one turd that won't flush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,213 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That seems a very good analysis. It's hard not to imagine that Putin hasn't been hugely damaged by all this - there are literally no positives for him.

• To be it feels like he's weakened. We definitely seen glimpses there is adversity lying in the general population and some of his army outside of Wagner.

I wouldn't feel to safe if I was him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

That’s why the entire thing doesn’t make sense. Up to Wagner walking toward Moscow, I could understand it. But then?! Surreal.

I mean Prigozhin knows very well how it works in Russia. What could they possibly offer to him that made him stop. What guarantees did it get that he wouldn’t be killed? He is leaving his soldiers hanging dry as well. Very bizarre. Trying to make sense of it is like trying to fit a 10” ball in a 5” square hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Well that was the nuttiest 24hrs I've witnessed in my lifetime. If the writers on cornation Street came up with that they'd crumple it up and throw it in the bin for being too ridiculous.

Any wagernites or Russian defectors must feel very let down tonight. They've been left right in the shìt and will now always be looking over their shoulder for retribution. This will have done untold damage to the war effort on the frontline

ya no amount of propaganda can fix putins position now he's a lesser carnivore now in a hungry jungle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

But will soldiers on the frontline now see there is no point downing arms as it will get you nowhere?

I don’t see how any of this works in Ukraines favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

He absolutely did not end the day in a stronger position. His government had to come to terms with Prigozhin's demands. They say you don't negotiate with terrorists, and Wagner were that for Putin this last day and yet he did negotiate with them. He now has a good picture of what happens if an internal enemy marches toward Moscow and it isn't that the people rally around Putin. They bring the rebels drinks and snacks. Putin now has to be very worried that if his power is directly challenged again, he will be totally isolated.

• Advertisement

It doesn't it's a disaster for Ukraine. If this rumbled on the days or weeks they could have made their move as the counter offensive looks to be not going as expected. Now all the focus is back on the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So, anyone want to take a guess at the next thing to happen? I'm going to go with Putin fighting Prigozhin in a cage match to decide which of them leads the parade at Moscow Pride 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Incorrect. It is not a disaster.

In the very worst case:

• Putin will have to pull thousands of troops and equipment from the frontline to prevent something like this happening again.
    • They lost 6 helicopters, a plane and bombed their own oil depot.
    • The main hub for all their supply routes (Rostov on Don) to southern Ukraine were frozen for all of this. And probably still are.(At a time when their main supply route from Crimea was also destroyed the day prior)
    • Putin looks like an absolute moron in front of his people. After basically locking down all Moscow and throwing trucks filled with sand and cars on the road to stop Wagner and promising retribution for these crimes. He now has no explanation to give that will make sense.

Yes its not the beginning of the end of the war we were all hoping for. But it required no input from Ukraine at all and honestly if I were a betting man I would bet we haven't seen the tail end of this bizarre day play out yet.

ya nothing raises moral in a flea bitten army than hearing your country is in civil war. how wouldn't it favour Ukraine? try harder skin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Either it was a coke and vodka fueled “look at me” or he was promised support that didn’t materialize.

Obviously there maybe be another option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Can't trust any of the sources and any reliable history is going to need plenty of time and a change of regime that allows open access to records. Even then it'll have gaps. There was a window of opportunity for Western historical researchers when the USSR fell but Putin made things difficult again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I don't think it's the end of it. I think Prigozhin is buying time. In their culture the better you lie, the smarter you are. It is something to be proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Any joker with 25k lunatics behind them now knows they can march on Moscow virtually unopposed. That'll surely embolden others, maybe even the Chinese because there'll be even fewer defenders on the eastern borders. There's sod all Russian army worth a damn in Ukraine and even less in Russia.

Putin is at his weakest ever if the likes of Lukashenko can talk him into a deal. He looks like the schoolyard bully who got beaten by a little girl, after calling her every name under the sun and needed teacher to intervene. Tomorrow he'll pretend like nothing happened but everyone will know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Homelander

We don't know what really was going on behind the scenes. Prigoz might presumably have been banking on support that never materialised. The whole thing seems incredibly illogical from an outside perspective but there was logic behind the move, it obviously didn't work out as hoped.

Bit of an Operation Valkyrie basically.

Regardless whole thing is a massive embarrassment to Putin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Was it a dream, or did Prigozhin really attack and kill Russians on Russian soil, and then get a star prize of an all expensive paid trip to Belarus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,231 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Hopefully , with everybody eyes firmly on Russia (reporters/vlogers /Russian commanders Fsb etc)over the last 48 hrs , has enabled the Ukrainians to make some bold unreported moves .

It would be great if we get some major Ukrainian breakthrough reports soon .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

US intelligence now claiming they had wind of this several days ago and a catalyst was an order from Shoigu etc for units of Wagner to change their contracts to MOD.

Whatever the Russian civilian population will be rattled by all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

I'd love to know if these guys have any idea what a laughing stock they've become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Feel sorry for the people of Belarus, they must have got a taste of freedom. Now their president has even more backup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I think time will show Prigozhins move will be the catalsyt that was needed cause change in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Last paragraph of the above piece sums up things nicely

"Moreover, Mr Prigozhin has also punctured Mr Putin’s rationale for war. In a video posted on June 23rd he rubbished Russian claims that Ukraine had bombed the Donbas region for eight years and that Ukraine and nato intended to attack Russia. The war, he said, was in fact launched for the benefit of Russia’s “oligarchic elite”. That might prompt unsettling questions among Russia’s rank-and-file. “Who,” asks John Foreman, British defence attaché in Moscow until recently, “would want to fight on for a Russian regime which has shown such weakness, declaring a mutiny and then rowing back within the day?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

All this western analysis of what happened in the last 36hrs and indeed over the last 8 years in Ukraine is pointless, we all know that the war was a fools errand and an ego trip by Putin. Its not until regular russians start realising it and pushing back will change happen. Whether it even registers with them what happened yesterday remains to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

Good to see Putin is stil, in some kind of control... the World is a bit safer compared to 24h ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Regular Russians are powerless. If 25,000 heavily armed men couldn’t pull it off they certainly can’t. It will take a 1917 type eastern front mutiny. Russian soldiers themselves will have to down tools and refuse to continue the war. Something that is very much a possibility and maybe the events of yesterday is a significant step on the road to that eventuality. Wagner have shown that it can be done. Let’s face it conditions are not going to improve for Russian soldiers and if anything will get worse. The Russian army itself now has to do the meatgrinding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

We don't really know that 25,000 armed men couldn't pull it off because Putin evidently panicked and negotiated with them, or rather their leader Prigozhin. Had that negotiation not taken place, god knows what the situation would have been.

Whatever the terms of the negotiations were, I should think they were ones which made heavy promises about Prigozhin's security, otherwise he's hardly going to agree to move to Belarus - a place where he could be picked up at any moment by Russian security forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭rogber

The whole thing is truly bizarre. I'm sure we'll have rumours now of it being a false flag operation so Putin can show the country: it's either me or anarchy.

Who knows what the hell the truth is.

But when people yesterday were saying Putin is gone and fled to Kazakhstan I did say: let's not get too excited yet, give it a day or two. And was proved right. Things can change very quickly in the era of instant news

Guardian even suggesting Prigozhin may regroup with fighters in Belarus and attempt to attack Kyiv, that this story may not be over....

Post edited by rogber on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Prigozhin certainly won't be on gardening leave would not be surprised in the least if he back attacking Ukraine with some sort of group .

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

The Fighterbomber Telegram channel, which has close ties to Russia's military aviation community, claims that "Millerovo military airfield is still under complete control of Wagner PMC, as is Rostov airfield and the PKP VKS [(Russian Aerospace Forces' forward command post)]."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Where's the evidence Putin panicked? Evidence now please not heresay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Disillusioned soldier's let them travel unchecked through much of the route to Russia.

What were the Wagner grunts rallying behind? One man's personal agenda or a genuine belief that a regime change was at hand? Or just doing what they're boss tells them? Will they really be subsumed into the already disillusioned ranks? The army certainly need the numbers but I can't see how the majority of them seeing their lot improving thanks to the deal Prigorzhin cut. Will they take much convincing to rally again?

Lots of questions. I can't see it all just going back to happy families either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I really wonder now was it some Russian tactic. Cause panic and discord so it seems and then have prigozhin be shipped off to Belarus and probably let's be real here he could end up been in total control of Belarus when their president dies. This could of been what has been laid out. Have him as their leader then Belarus fully come into Russia proper. This might actually be worse case for Ukraine. With him there if this war drags on into next year you might see Wagner troops on the border of Ukraine or just a different name that he has set up and Ukraine hs to worry about attacks again from there. With him going to Belarus it is probably giving Ukraine a headache of what might be to come.

• He cut a deal with a rebel who attacked his army and shot down his airforce. These were acts of war. Putin backed down. He has absolutely shat the bed. Do you really need to see the sheets as evidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Caquas

If you strike at the King, you must kill him.

Prigozhin was fighting a propaganda war against Russia's military leaders, particularly Shoigu and Gerasimov, for months. He was asking his "good friend" Putin to replace them but, instead, a decree was issued to induct the Wagner soldiers into the defence forces by the end of June. That would mean the end of the Wagner Group and Prigozhin suddenly understood that Putin had deserted him. Prigozhin decided to strike first and he held the incalculable advantage of surprise.

Why did he stop 150 miles from Moscow? Not because "Russian blood would be spilt". Prigozhin is a blood-thirsty monster.

My guess is that he stopped because

• (a) no one rallied to his cause, most importantly the Russian military (although ordinary Russians did not oppose him),
    • (b) he couldn't get his hands on Putin who fled Moscow
    • (c) he realised that Putin would use every available weapon to retain his grip on power, even nuclear weapons on Russian soil against Russians.

The deal he got looks like a nothing-burger. Putin has not confirmed it publicly so he is free to do whatever he can now to restore his authority. Shoigu and Gerasimov are keeping a low profile today, like their boss, but they are not gone. "All charges are dropped" - brilliant! And we'll wipe the penalty points on your licence, Yevgeny!. Prigozhin is in the hands of Lukashenko and we know what Lukashenko does to those to try to topple the leader. Dead man walking.

What comms system did Prigozhin use when negotiating this deal with Lukashanko? Were the Americans/Chinese/British eavesdropping? If they were, they will have learned much about Russia's bottom line for a deal in Ukraine.

In the end, it looks like a 21st. Century peasants' revolt where the King buys time with vague promises to the serfs until he can muster his army and string up their leaders. The King survives but - the good news- he has to cut back on foreign adventures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't think this was all part of an elaborate plan to get Belarus into the war by Prigozhin taking over there. I think if the Defense minister is still in place, then it's more likely Prigozhin was set up with false promises. The Defense Minister is the real winner here if you think about it ,he has gotten rid of his enemy and has one over on Putin at the same time. Which is funny because Putin likes playing people off each other, but may have been outplayed at his own game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭zv2

Ukrainian LLVT destroyed 7 KAMAZ 5350 "Mustang" trucks along with ammunition of Russian invaders near the settlement of Novofedorivka, Zaporizhia region. 🔥 (+ another helicopter, reported today)

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Where's the evidence that you're not a re-reg Putin-bot?

Putin made a show of himself yesterday. Good luck trying to defend him. The fact that he needed Luka to step in shows he more than panicked (or at least 1 of his doubles did).

Prigozin going for Kyiv from the North would be a massive headache for Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭thereitisgone

Yesterday, these storm Z convicts made a video backing Wagner, looks like theres gonna be a lot of payback from the regime

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He went from publicly and directly calling it a mutiny, treason, an attack on Russia and the perpetrators would be dealt with severely, to pardons for all and exile for Prig within a matter of hours.

Why? He had no choice. He "panicked".

It seems 25,000 armed men can drive largely unhindered into the heart of Russia and capture the largest town in his "SMO". only it was in Russia... And putin was made painfully aware of this. As were any others looking in and thinking about their own private armies. Now Wagner would have likely lost if they got too close to Moscow. Unless they had the tacit support of Russia's airforce they would have been picked off on the outskirts. And even if they took Moscow what could they have done with it? However that putin couldn't rally enough internal Russian forces and had to call for the police and a handful of the Chechens speaks volumes about what's left in the kitty.

He now also faces a wider world problem. Wagner is in effect now dissolved. So how does he prosecute his interests and conflicts in Africa for example? Wagner was Russia's overseas force, in Africa, Syria and so on. It was Russia, but not really, never mind. It had some deniability and had a leader that was very close to the centre and putin himself. That's now kaput. The Wagner troops involved in this drive are pardoned, those who weren't involved can get contracts with the regular Russian army. A large percentage were involved so it seems though pardoned can't go into the regular army, so that's another loss of experienced fighting men.

Prig got his deal and no doubt a bag of cash for him and his men. Putin got a scare and a world looking on in disbelief and a weakened overall force and the loss of his overseas contractor army.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Homelander

It also makes zero sense.

You might as well say "Ukraine hammering Moscow with dozens of Storm Shadows would be a headache for Putin".

It's not going to happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement