Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭cal naughton

This skit from David Mcsavage is so appropriate for what's going on.

Hopefully he can do an up to date one for the "Stars"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think it mostly RTE it would catch as it would be considered his nett pay. It's mostly employers that get caught in situations like that.

RTE has been at the self employment stroke for decades. It started with a cohort of highly paid presenter's and was a way to keep pay under control. However in the end it was only a tax advantage to the so called star's. As we see in this case Tubridy side deal protected him from iay cuts for the last ten years. There was no headline ''Tubs earns over half a million from RTE''

People should remember other Faux Pas's by these starts. Remember Brian Dobson giving PR training on how to manage a TV/ radio news interview.

I will be surprised if no other pay deal has this in its T&C's.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Tow

If Tubs can provide he is an employee it opens up a big can of worms with PRSI/Revenue. It will not be just Tubs but all the other permanent contractors.

In saying that, Ruth Buchanan (Shane Ross's wife) previously managed to provide she was an employe, when RTE would not give her job back. She left to run for the Presidency but it never got off the ground. There is a rule/tradition that public service jobs (teachers etc) should be kept open if an 'employee' goes into politics.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you hear the sound of explosions around the D4 area it'll be union bosses heads exploding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Cool, that should financially bury RTE once and for all if they had to gross up all contractors payments for the past say 20 years, plus penalties and interest, plus employers PRSI.

I wonder is there political pressure preventing Revenue from exploring this open goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

He is toast, can't see him on RTE again but who knows, he is better to quietly head off and set up a media company work behind the scean or make content programs for the dozens of brittish stations and streaming services. RTE have to look at how other are paid as well.

RTF / ORTF in France was effectively scrapped and restructured as 7 different organisations in the 1970s and 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Up to 157 self employed contractors at RTE should be designated as employees

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-dail-committee-5421151-Apr2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Newstalk will snap him up, they love their car industry sponsors over there, none of those tricky public declarations to worry about.

And wait for the slow but inevitable swings to the right, letting his inner climate denier out of the closet, to fit into their listenership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

They can have it both ways because their incompetent employer has allowed them to. It also allows RTE to massage the number of employees they have and not show how grossly overstaffed they actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

At 21:30. Dan Clancy knew the score back in 2004😅

Can't see newstalk taking him but again who knows his brand is very tainted by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The annoying thing, for me perhaps at least regarding the TV License, is not the money per se, its that its a tax, on your already taxed income.

In many countries, when you get your pay slip, there are lots of small amounts taken for different things. When I lived abroad, there was a metropolitan tax, which was about 30 quid a month and was to pay for refuse collection and other things that were specific to living within the city confines. A person living in the country, didn't get that tax.

Instead of spending god knows how much on TV License inspectors, they could just add a few euro to everyones tax liability and save everyone a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭cal naughton

Tubridy will not lower himself to go on Newstalk. Galway Bay Fm is a possibility with an outside broadcast from Clifden. Sure where would you get it as he is known to say himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The problem is that if it's just coming out of a big pot, then money will just get shovelled at RTE because they will - as we have seen tell lies to pretend they need more money. And they have a big mouthpiece to harange the government with.

With the licence fee, there's more political 'cost' to increase.

If some 'quango' was set up to oversee it, I'd have little confidence it wouldn't suffer industry 'capture' immediately.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭hometruths

If he has to leave RTE under a cloud, there is no chance anybody else is taking him. That's why his "I did no wrong, it's those chancers in RTE" statement was so ill-judged. If he's burnt that bridge he's fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Shows how dementedly clueless he is/was, that warped view he had as the toyman who kids looked up to bloody weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Having a good research of the issue, I'd say he didn't know the full T and C of his contract and neither did Dee Forbs so they both have to go, it's his management company that needs to be heard from. I don't think he was involved in a scam but failing to read and understand the contract caught them both out. The moral of the story never sign anything with out fully reading every sub clause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Absolutely disgusting figures this morning.

I don't want to hear another Angela from Ballygobackwards on liveline tomorrow defending Tubridys wages because "he has a nice way about him or he was good with the kids in the school" and completely missing the issue at hand.

This is disgusting levels of mismanagement and absolutely deliberate fraudulent practices at RTE.

Some of the blame for that lies with deluded parents wearing their creepy matching pyjamas and making an event out of the non event that is the toy show.

Hyping it up for weeks, turning it into a telethon, turning it into a wokefest was all Tubridy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭mulbot

Jesus,that's a very naive understanding you have there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

His agent should have explained it to him then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Sure when he retired from LLS/got found out there were plenty of idiots calling for him to run as president on various media.

As an aside his brother Garrett, who as it happens is also a grade a prime arsehole, ran in the 2009 elections coming a humiliating 4th last. It’s the Irish way, sure if mum, dad, granny or grandad were TDs, I deserve the same, if mum, dad, granny or grandad were in RTÉ I deserve the same.

https://irelandelection.com/election.php?elecid=175&constitid=331

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

In a way it’s hard to blame him for being so out of touch. He’s lived in a bubble since he was a teenager where he’s basically been told he’s the second coming of Christ, had his every whim catered too, been protected when his show’s audiences dropped or were overtaken by others (the Brendan O’Connor example listed previously), been remunerated far in excess of any discernible talent (at one stage he was getting over €700,000 in fees annually that were declared, who knows if there were any top ups in addition to those figures), never it seems pays for anything* (as everything is gifted** to him) and basically has never had to work or put in any graft in his entire life. He has been enabled by certain actors his whole life. As a result he has zero self-awareness - that leads to the two fingered defiant and unapologetic type statements we’ve had from him on this - he genuinely thinks he’s done nothing wrong.

Now if he was a boorish Gerry Ryan “feck the begrudgers” type maybe he could ride it out. But it’s the years of the kindness charade and the #InThisTogether bull💩 that will cost him. The lies, the hypocrisy, the “do as I say, not as I do”, that will destroy his career. And he has no-one to blame but himself.

*on his radio show he would frequently take a fancy to some destination, mutter it aloud for a few weeks, the hey ho….they’re off to do a visit there. Iceland was one example. All paid for by you and me, a nice little 5 day jolly for a 30minute interview with an Icelandic journalist/author.

Then there was a 10-15 minute interview with George Clooney and Julia Roberts about some rom com they were in. These interviews are a series of back to back interviews with the stars that the film company do. It’s like a conveyor belt, you get your 10-15 mins then you’re gone and now it’s ITV’s turn, BBC and so on. You don’t get to have dinner with them or hang out or anything. He could have done a day trip on this and used a contracted producer to record and produce it but no, Tubs and crew off to London for a couple of nights in a 5 star hotel. He then proceeded to tell us about all the things he did in his free time in London! Zero self awareness.

They are two examples, I could list many more.

**also on the Tubs radio thread, there is a list of the freebies he accumulated over a few months. It’s astonishingly long. These are mostly things people/small companies send in to him in the hope of getting a mention or a plug on his Instagram if you Ike a sort of barter (word of the week) quid pro quo. But he was never satisfied with just getting random stuff for free - he started to ask for specific things. A multimillionaire too tight to pay for anything, but lacking any self awareness to realise how bad and “cheap” and now we know greedy it all sounded. The list is there in the radio thread free for all to see.

No it's not he knows what his brand is and he wouldn't trash his brand he is not that stupid, that's why I believe he didnt fully read his contract that doesn't get him off the hook, however he still signed it so has to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So would I be wrong to assume that RTÉ potentially has being paying agent fees on top of the earning of the top stars ? So for example RTÉ pay someone €200,000 and is reported as €200,000 but potentially RTÉ paid their agent €20,000... meaning that potentially that "star" actually got €220,000?

When did all this start?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I do think it’s looking more and more likely that he will have to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

We all know there will be certain Angela's out there talking drivel to defend the indefensible but it's the ones in this country who will say "oh isn't this latest scandal in this country appalling" while secretly in the 'system' benefiting financially themselves be it through back handers/theft/fraud/nepotism that are the real problem, enough of these nod and wink type beneficiaries out there everywhere

RTÉ is just another toxic Irish institution rigged for the boys/girls at the top with some of it trickling down to pals/family below that tree, RTÉ is now cemented in Ireland inc. in the same breath as Anglo, FÁS, HSE, FAI etc - the toxic Celtic Tiger never died despite the charade of the austerity/IMF era

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement