Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can this be allowed to happen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

And here’s silly old me only having one kid cause that’s all I can afford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭bigroad

The disability allowance seems to be the golden ticket for many a scammer.

No pressure to get a job and no activation phone calls.

Just coin the money in and pop out as many little runts as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The DA personal rate is €220

The rate for his wife is €146

The rate for each child under 12 is €42

The rate for over 12 is €50

Fuel allowance for 7 months at €33 per week

Electricity allowance €35 per month

Free travel for he and his wife

Free TV licence

Benefit for 11 kids €1540 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Fascist diatribe of hate.

Do you want 11 children to starve for your own rubbish utopia?

The figure quoted in the article indicates that there are only 2 children being claimed for at the moment. So the other 9 kids are claiming now for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The €228k was the proceeds of crime that he laundered. He didn’t receive that amount in disability allowance. There seems to be some confusion on this thread regarding that. I’m not sure why though as it’s clearly stated in the article.

It doesn't matter anymore.

The courts prosecuted him for it and he has gone to jail.

What is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The OP wants another rant against immigration: pure and simple.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when the question is raised 'how can this be allowed happen', what is being allowed that should not be allowed happen?

should the state withdraw payments for the children? making a probably bad situation worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Money laundering, nothing to do with the actual benefits he was getting, google what money laundering is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, my question was a bit too broad, was more about the gist which i thought was developing about disability allowance and that many kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

My take home pay is a little above what he has here & I'm not taking in consideration his house!

What I am suggesting is that if we are to accept migrants into the country then they should

be working in the country along with many of our own people! If they can't find a job then

we should have an agency that finds one for them & if they refuse a job then they lose

their entitlements!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...the root causes of long term unemployment are complex, pressure and 'activation' phone calls cant and wont solve these issues, the health system needs to be further integrated into the welfare system, in order to try resolve these problems, but the reality is, this may never happen, so round and round we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭apogee87

What system are you talking about?

That suggests there is no system in place at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Access to large cash amounts and gold at his home in Romania ,

The article is misleading IMO.

It mentions that he has income of €455 but also says he has 11 children.

This is giving the impression that he felt he had to criminally launder money in order to make ends meet as he had so little income from SW despite having a lot of dependents.

DA for a claimant an adult dependent and 11 kids is €868 weekly + child benefit €1550 monthly. Plus all the extras already mentioned.

His current payment is for claimant adult dependent and 2 kids.

Once the State accepts that you are entitled to live in Ireland then anyone can apply for benefits and allowances. You fill in the application form provide the supporting documents and your application is processed. That’s the system.

I know but somebody has to go to work and be taxed in order to get the money to pay for the upkeep of the people who don’t want to go to work.

And that person is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How is he even allowed in here? He obviously never worked a day and probably never will. What use is he to society or to Ireland? It is my opinion that if anyone comes in here as a refugee and commits crime then they should be deported back to where they came from. We have enough home-bred criminals here.

• Advertisement

As a Romanian citizen he’s perfectly entitled to be here as an EU citizen and at some stage he was deemed to have fulfilled the Habitual Residence Condition which then entitled him to apply for SW means tested allowances. He then obviously fulfilled the means test and the medical criteria for Disability Allowance.

Lots of people don’t seem to have any problem with any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

We need to start removing EU citizens like this lad:

Staying in another EU state for over 90 days

If you want to remain in an EU, EEA state or Switzerland for more than 90 days, you may be asked to show that you are:

• In employment
    • Self-employed
    • A full time student with health insurance and money to support yourself
    • You have money to support yourself and health insurance (for you and your family) without state assistance

Qualifying family members of EU citizens, EEA nationals and Swiss citizens from these categories also have a right to live in another state for more than 90 days. See ‘Family members’ below for more information.

If you stay in another EU or EEA state or Switzerland for over 90 days and are not in any of the above categories, you could be given a Removal Order.

In Ireland, EU, EEA or Swiss citizens do not have to register their presence in the State with the authorities. This means that you will not have to show that you are in one of the above categories unless:

• Your spouse, partner or dependent family member is not from the EU, EEA or Switzerland and is applying for residence
    • You apply for a social assistance payment and must satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition
    • You apply for permanent residency for yourself, and/or your family (this is available after 5 years’ lawful residence)

You can read more about residence rights of EEA citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A perfectly ligitmate Question but just a few observations.

He is an EU citizen & therefore entitled, if eligible to the same SW supports Irish Citizens are.

However, one Glaring issue and his criminality aside. Anyone who's applied for Disability Allowance will know its probably the most difficult payment to get approval on. Reams of paperwork, medical reports & a supportive GP required.

Coupled with the above, a rigorous Means test carried out & declaration of Assets required, including those outside the state. It was disclosed he owns a property in Romania, Mortgage free & at a Minimum, DSP will be making enquiries as to wether that was disclosed (I have my doubts), if not his payment will be reviewed, possibly suspended.

I'm aware any SW payments being made are suspended when a Claimant Jailed & for the duration of the sentence, if this also applies to DA ,I can't say. Also worth pointing out the DA Payment he receives reflects a number of dependent children (that's another story in itself)

Whilst I accept the amount of Rent allowance paid ,extraordinary & his Criminality, outrageous. His Disability payment must be treated as a separate matter , I fear these stories unfairly tarnish those on Disability Allowance & it shouldn't .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

EU citizens can and do engage in welfare tourism. Other issue is "Vasile had registered with the Revenue Commissioners in 2005 but was without any employment history in this country" - Romania joined EU in 2007, so how did he end up in Cork before then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Probably trafficking children. He stole from church and charity collection boxes. He laundered hundreds of thousands of criminal funds. He lied, deceived and cheated for years. A sentence of 3 years....a joke. You get more for importing garlic these days.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He should be dropped back in his own country upon release .......... with no parachute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭rolling boh

A lot of people who be forced to work would be just want to get sacked and then be back to their preferred way of life .

I get the feeling most contributors to this thread are on the dole themselves?

How does it feel to be on the dole, arguing over the scraps?

Are you not mortified that you think that your bigotry has realised that people born in another part of the planet are entitled to state benefit?

Racists are really crap, at everything they even conceive.

It is the epitome of pathos, sad bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭rolling boh

They would get money somehow like they currently do .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement