Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

There should be a national protest in the form of non renewal of the television licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dublin49

Dee Forbes will come clean and say yes she signed off on these unconventional payments because these cough " stars" might have left and although it was politically unacceptable to pay them their real worth at that time she thought it was in RTE's best interests if she found a way to keep these stars in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Yes and anyone on a direct debit to cancel now, as I have. Haven’t watched or listened to the shite in over two decades. It’s a tax I am not paying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Jerry Ryan got 336,000 the year he died! 3 months work.

The contract between RTÉ and PK, gave PK a bonus on completion of 5 year contract, Starting 31 July 2008 until his departure 31 July 2013, On average he earned 660,000 per year during those 5 years, because of that bonus. This bonus came in 2013 give him 728,000 for 7 months work!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

@walshb did you reply to this? You consistently talk absolute scutter across all of boards and then when you get shown up to be talking said scutter you just ignore it and keep talking scutter with other posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

People don't like being taken for fools and that's what has happened here. All of us eejits who do the right thing and pay our TV licence are looking at how our money has been squandered. They're jumping through hoops to keep paying somebody who earns far more money than most people ever will. The sums of money being mentioned, even as the overpayments, are eye-watering. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has thought about what a year of Tubridy's salary or even a year of his overpayments would do for my small insignificant life. I'd love to be able to take advantage of tax loopholes and to not have to plan for the next big bill. These are the things that are an everyday reality for most Irish people. To have the curtain lifted and to be reminded of how the other half lives is cutting through. Especially at the moment when we're all aware of how much more expensive everything has become, yet our wages aren't keeping up with inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭furiousox

Tempted to do the same myself but sure as $hit they'll hound you to the courts until you start paying again.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭creedp

Is this for real? Is it seriously being suggested that people didn't actually experience pays cuts in 2008 or is it only referring to the top echelons in society who, as always, are protected from what the ordinary person has to endure? Can examples be given to back up this assertion?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Newstalk contributor bellows: RTÉ - Corruption Deceit Dishonesty

• Advertisement

If that is the case why is it that it's the highly paid that engage in this practice? Are they and their financial that deluded?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

The fact that people set up a DD for a tv licence is beyond me.

Are lives that full that the five minutes it takes to make the payment is too precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

You can pay your TV licence monthly/quarterly/bi-annually by DD, rather than in one lump sum. -> Link Here Unlike taxing your car, there is no penalty for paying it in smaller bites.

For some people, having to come up with €160 in one go is a significant outgoing. When you see how many people just don't pay it you'd wonder what'd happen if you just brazened it out and ignored the knocks on the door and the letters.

God help us if that is supposed to be some kind of objective defence as to why it's OK for the wealthy and influential to enrich themselves..the ignorant plebs won't even notice

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Maybe they want to spread the cost over the year? Maybe they work and don't want to spend their free time queuing in the post office?

What a weird thing to take issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Suddenly, €345,000 becomes 50 million in a culture of RTE media kickbacks. The whole foundation is rotten. Needs a root and branch cull at executive, board, and talent level. All heads of each department. Including, anybody incoming or newly hired because nobody involved in the current set up should be trusted in their appointments. But that is simply required to set new standards. We need a national broadcaster, one built on foundations of journalistic integrity and objectivity. We have corruption. Everyone is in the same cocaine-ridden, kickback bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

The party that calls for the disbandment of Rte in the next election will have my vote.

virgin media and other private companies will do the job just fine.

Basic premise is that the those at the top of society never take responsibility for the shoite that they cause. Just need to engage in some expensive and creative PR to ensure the plebes will pick up the tab. The banking and developer scandal back in 2007 completely removed the thin veil that always existed around this behaviour of entitlement. Problem is that nothing changed as clearly evidenced again surrounding the attempts at deflection in relation to this issue. Don't worry it will be business as usual once the plebs get bored with this latest annoyance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Couldn't agree more with this and @ButtersSuki posts.

Tubridy is a product of his own privileged RTE/FF bubble so it's no wonder he has always occupied this grey area where what he's doing is not necessarily illegal but is definitely ethically questionable, particularly within a public service environment (the tax set-up, the freebie requests under the guise of promoting local businesses, free cars, free trips, etc, etc).

He probably thought this deal was just another chance to line his pockets and muddy the waters enough so that he can't be held accountable. This is evident in his arrogant statements where he's claiming that he, a pretty powerful figure within RTE, has no real responsibility in all of this. He knew his salary was an contentious issue and he chose to keep schtum year after year. People have now had enough and he has found himself on the wrong side of that thin line. It's clear that he's not trustworthy enough to hold a high profile public service job, yet he's still gaslighting people ("hope you appreciate my sincerity in this" - unbelievable!).

The RTE culture of bogus self employment, freebies and nepotism needs to be dismantled. This is probably unlikely but if you work for RTE every day, you're clearly an employee and you should get paid a salary. Anything gifted in return for publicity should be dealt with in a transparent manner. It should be a very simple. The unnecessary complexity in all these dealings tells you all you need to know.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,985 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

People paid a lot less than rt do it, it's not for me to educate you on why.

• Advertisement

I don't anybody will be surprised when kickback links between media figures, companies and politicians emerge...

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

It has always annoyed me all the freebies these „stars“ get.

in my job there is „corporate compliance„ - I cannot receive or give gifts and I sign a declaration every month that this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nice little descriptor from Fionnán Sheahan here:

How ironic is it that the presenter of The Late Late Show, who cites Gay Byrne as his inspiration, has his own “Pee Flynn moment”.

That's how bad the statements from Tubs have been. But according to some on here he's done nothing wrong! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mickjim

345,000 overpayment.......My LC Maths suggest that approx 2,000 TV Licences needed to fund this gubuesque situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

That was the guy from the Union, NUJ I think but not sure. I couldn't believe he kept calling it corruption..which it is obviously but he was the first who wasn't afraid to call it. There must be massive resentment of the "talent" fees and NK's earnings and no love lost for Tubridy anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm delighted that RTE is in disarray and struggling to explain their own corruption. This organisation investigated corruption everywhere else like bloodhounds and now can't seem to explain their own. Sweet sweet justice,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Good point there, the government should pay RTE's own investigative journalists to expose it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The Freebie List I mentioned from the radio Thread. This was compiled over (from memory) a period of a few months - it's not a 10 year compilation or anything - before the creator (credit to @PieOhMy for same) stopped updating it. During that time some posters complained repeatedly about publishing it or updating it saying it was off topic and other "makey-uppy" reasons - some of them (in fact most) are on this thread now - need I tell you which side of this argument they are on? I obviously don't know if they complained to mods directly or campaigned for same with the moderators - only they know that themselves; but I suspect they did given their behaviour on said thread. The real reason they (I suspect) wanted it censored was that they knew it painted the multi-millionaire tax avoider in a very petty, mean, cheap, and greedy light.

Here's the list as is stood before updates stopped:

Had to come back to post this:

Freebies list beginning 23 September 2020 and ending whenever I last posted, with one new update.

Free Unknown volume of books

Free Bespoke jewellery x 2

Free Essential oils for mask

Free Buns from Bewleys

Free Trip on the Irish Navy ship

Free 8 Glasses cases

Free Accessories for vinyl record player

Free Flowers

Free Yop, Fruit of the Forest and Yakult

Free Holland and Barrett supply

Free Calm App

Free Scents of Ireland commercial air diffuser and scents

Free Epicurean Delights (i.e. Grub)

Free Watercolour

Free Candles

Free Book about Elvis' comeback in 68

Free Waterford Famine Buke

Free Pints

Free Sweets from Shandons

Free Loose leaf tea

Free Bread knives

Free Candles possibly wickless candles

Free Teapot

Free Vinyl record (Beatles/McCartney)

Free Tea brack

Free Cards

Free More cards (rejected - Catholics need not apply)

Free Halloween masks

Free Cufflinks (monogrammed for Tubridy, of course)

Free Fudge

Free Southern Star newspaper

Free Opinion magazine

Free Print from book (gorgeous, apparently)

Free Crisps and Earplugs

Free Greetings cards

Free Beatles book

Free Bottle with fairy lights

Free Hot Chocolate Bomb

Free Personalised Christmas Stocking

Free Novelty Mug

Free Handmade Scarf (moss green in colour, and long)

Free multiple handmade Christmas Cards

Free John Banville Book (delivered personally to him while shopping)

Free Barack Obama autobiography (extremely large and heavy)

Free box of Lindt chocolates (only 8 in box, Tubs not happy)

Free Face mask from Chester Beatty

Free Books

Free Paul McCartney poster

Free Aerial photography coffee table book

Free Christmas jumper

Free Waterford Festive Star (a magazine)

Free Holly Bough (a Cork annual)

Free Santa Beard Face Mask

Free Chocolates from Bean & Goose (called out paucity of Lindt in their freebie, again)

Free Art from Trish Taylor Thompson (something visual)

Free Books (from “listener” doing her Marie Kondo clearout)

Free Shandon Sweets, again

Free invite to chess convention

Free Lighthouse Book

Free chess lessons

Free Book (Elf Isolation)

Free crate of Club Orange

Free Bag of Marbles, (but no "steelies", much to Tubs' chagrin)

Free Ireland's Own Annual

Free Band Aid vinyl single, with beautiful artwork (Tubridy checked artwork was included, before accepting it).

Free Paul McCartney - Back in the USSR vinyl album.

Free Box of Turf

Free Puffin Christmas Decorations

Free Puffin Christmas Cards

Free Puffin T Shirt

Free Meal in Kilmore Quay

Free Motivational Quote Cards

Free Book (Dauntless Courage)

Free CD

Free Personal Guided Tour of St Patrick's Cathedral.

Free Hand crafted Gin

Free Crystal Glasses set

Free Cocktails

Free Craft Beer Selection

Free Visit to brewery

Free "County Mayo in a Jar" x 2 (Wool, Shells, etc)

Free Vintage 1955 Comic (original copy)

Free Personalised Water bottle

Free White Vinyl Christmas record

Free Handmade Cards

Free Magazine about schools during Covid

Free Donegal Calendar

Free Bird Calendar (includes Puffin)

Free Fry’s Chocolate Bars – 4 pack - (Passed over to Mater Tubridy)

Free Patricia Gibney Book

Free Terry Reilly book – Ballina People

Free signed Rick Stein in France book

Free American edition of Liz Nugent Book

Free Frederick Douglass book (as asked for earlier this week, but no mention of payment).

Free Sanatorium (Abi Palmer) book

Free Robert Harris Book V2

Free Coffee Beans

Free Grand Canal to Dodder Book

Free Murder Mutiny and the Muglins Book

Free Smart Cooking Books – both editions.

Free Acts of Desperation by Megan Nolan book.

Free Sherlock Holmes walking stick

Free Jenny Wren S’mores kit

Free chocolate bunny

Free tour of St patricks cathedral

Free walking tour of Dublin

Free currach trip on the liffey.

Free gift bag from St Patrick's

Free tour of Rowntree's factory

Free stay in Kerry Hotel

Free bog Oak tea light holder

Free Hand made muppet toy

Irish country magazine and pen

Braile book

New York magazine (succession edition)

Free lunch post toy show

Free preview copies of books

Private Screening of Belfast "for work reasons"

Hand carved walking stick

Free daffodils

Braille keyring / Patrick and the president

Advance screening of Elvis movie

Free water bottles

New FREE Headphones

New FREE Chair

New FREE Carpet

FREE BIKE LOCK

Request that his radio team link up with the Late Late Show team to have a birthday whip around to get him to Florida to see a Paul Mccarthy gig.

Free Madigans scarf

Free rolling stones ballet tickets

Free Sweets hamper delivered to home address

Free preview copy of a book

Free Dior perfume in a robot container

Free Wind in the Willows book

Free ticket for McBeth (taken from a listeners husband Note: this was in NY, not the Bord Gais Energy Theatre or some such place)

A couple of the highlights in bold.

This was and is the tip of the iceberg. It was a running joke ion the thread before some posters were removed from it (myself included).

Bloodhounds? Investigative journalism is not very good in Ireland. Especially, at RTE. Dependent on whistleblowers.

• Advertisement

Getting overpaid 345,000? You should try it sometime.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement