Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

I see what you are saying. Refugees and asylum seekers are two different things.

People don't have an issue with asylum seekers or refugees, it's the numbers. If you put 20 into a small community people wouldn't really mind, the issue is it's not 20 that is put in, it's sometimes 200 which is absolutely absurd and to boot it's always ''single men.'' The reality is they ain't single men, most have families back in the countries they are from, so if one gets remain to stay it ain't really one person it's on average 4.

It really is simple Math. We can't actually cope with the numbers we have taken already yet that won't stop the government from taking more. They peddle this it's our duty when they know full well we signed up to The Lisbon Treaty which they could easily envoke just like Denmark has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

While no doubt some students can smell the coffee, most gormlessly parrot slogans like “ refugees welcome “ so they are useful idiots for the most part and hopefully they get a dose of realism and realise that contrary to what they were relentlessly fed in college, the government isn’t Santa clause and can’t “ homes for all “

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

“The only people who should be housed are people that cannot house themselves. So completely based on need.”

@suvigirl do you see any ceiling in terms of numbers at which this isn’t feasible as a matter of interest?

There are millions of people in need around the world. If a million additional people showed up over the next few years would you still hold that opinion? They’d for the most part be more in need than the majority of Irish people. Would it be our priority to house them all first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

You might feel different if you were looking to rent or apply for a social house . There is not equality its based on need does not matter when you arrived or are a citizen .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

But "if" they get to stay and their families are able to relocate, they don't stay in the same area. If 150 refugees are put in a community centre in a small town or rural area, they aren't going to be staying there permanently. So I think it's not quite a fair point to say that this is causing permanent significant population increases in specific rural areas.

Denmark has a similar population to us and for quite some time has been one of the net contributors to hosting refugees over the years. Indeed, several of the Germanic and Nordic countries, alongside Greece, have long been left to handle the problem while many other European states took in numbers well below the averages (including ourselves). The point is illustrated on graph you can find here: https://www.nrc.no/shorthand/fr/a-few-countries-take-responsibility-for-most-of-the-worlds-refugees/index.html#:~:text=In%20Western%20Europe%2C%20it%20is,refugees%2C%20at%200.03%20per%20cent.

Denmark's reaction can essentially be characterised as one caused by the failure of other countries, ourselves included, to share the burden. Meanwhile, this is our first experience of an influx that has placed strain on our system and people are going on like we are on the brink of an apocalypse — and yet point to what they see as the common sense policy of Denmark, a country which has done disproportionately more than most EU countries to cater to refugees and has take far more than we have.

The point remains however that being super restrictive can have its advantages, but ultimately if we all start replicating that then the inevitable outcome is that a smaller number of countries have to deal with the numbers alone. It is better for all to do their part than to let a small number of our international allies do it all alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I rent a.house in dublin for 1800 euro a month. It.took me 5 months to find it after being given 6 months notice from my last landlord. And I was very lucky to get it. So, what's your point?

Maybe I didn't phrase it correctly, I meant people in the country should be housed by need. I'm not suggesting that it is a duty to house people from other countries. Once they have been accepted into Ireland,housing should be based on need.

I have never suggested unlimited amounts of people should be brought here. We take refugees in quotas in refugee programs. Asylum seekers cannot be turned away, however, they should be dealt with much faster, as in weeks, not years for their claims to be dealt with.

What is the point? These people are moving here. They are subject to the same laws as everyone else in the country. It makes no difference whether homosexuality is illegal in the country that they came from.

It was illegal here until the 90s, do you think Irish people should have been barred from entering countries based on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Gamergurll

"I was very lucky to get it"

You kinda answered the question yourself there?

Did I?

The fact we have a housing crisis in this country is well known. It was not however any refugees that stopped me from finding a property to rent!

• Advertisement

Regardless of what factors a person believes are the main contributory factors to improved gay rights in Ireland — is it not a fairly acceptable thing to say that gay rights and gay tolerance 40 years ago in a more monocultural Ireland were not as good as they are now in a more multicultural Ireland?

If migrants and refugees from these countries are the threat to gay rights that you seem to be suggesting they are, why has their arrival and continued presence in Ireland not correlated to Ireland becoming a worse place to be gay?

Well you are obfuscating the issue. If a crime like what happened last year when 2 guys had their heads cut off for being gay it would be rather ignorant to ignore that certain cultures coming into Ireland do not align or want to align with Western culture .Unfortunatelyy stating a fundamental truth with regard to the West and the Middle East is always met with some retort with an ''ism.''

The West has a huge issue with this sort of self-hating of it's own culture and media among other things push this. The West ain't perfect but if it was so bad why would so many people wish to come here.

Like I said before it's just Math. If you have a house you can only fit a certain amount of people in that house before it starts to crumble. Ireland is a crumbling house and it's no more apparent when the government choose to house asylum seekers over students.

Very easy to just dump links. It doesn't change the fact that we are talking about things in net terms here. There will undoubtedly be further instances of homophobic violence into the future but of course a lot of the same people who hold themselves out as champions of tolerance still see efforts to promote inclusivity as a "woke agenda".

In any event, we can always take isolated instances from anywhere. Declan Flynn was murdered in Fairview Park in 1983 by a gang of native Irish teenagers who had committed other homophobic attacks in the area. It would be quite a stretch though, even back then, to say the beating of a gay man to death was reflective of Irish society's views on it.

But people always seem quicker to view attacks by foreigners as being representative.

See my above post re the Sligo murders.

What do you mean though by "not wanting to align"? I mean, even Irish people themselves today don't even align with what Irish culture was when they were growing up. If our grandparents had been given visions of the atheist / agnostic, gay loving, abortion defending, Church-bashing broad minded Ireland of today they would have had convulsions. Lots of migrants and refugees/asylum seekers come here and perfectly align and integrate. It's just that news stories about the many Nigerian families going about their daily lives as normal people in our country are not gonna get any clicks and do nothing for an agenda — but a news story of a Nigerian dude doing some bad thing becomes THEY WON'T INTEGRATE.

As for the government "choosing" to house asylum seekers over students, well, where should we send these asylum seekers then? Regardless of what we opt in and out of there is still an overarching principle across international law that asylum seekers at the very least have rights and we can't just brutalise them, treat them inhumanely, leave them for dead, or send them to the Moon. I don't own a home and have had to move a lot over the past 3 years, but I don't expect that my interests in having a home should absolutely invalidate and take all precedence over everyone else. There is a refugee crisis which has erupted over the past year and it's hard to handle this is in a way that ensures absolutely no negative outcomes for Irish people as a pre-requisite of the policy.

I think it's clear what align means but just to unmuddy the water, integration. As I have said before and you choose to ignore, certain cultures do not wish to integrate, this isn't some conspiracy it's a truth, you only have to look at every single country in Europe that dealt with the asylum issues before us.

The government is bending over backward to accommodate asylum seekers and refugees but they have no regard to bending over backward to accommodate the 4000 homeless children or the students who now have no place to go. As I have said before this is not about the government being humanitarians it's about money, as with everything in this country.

You keep repeating about 'certain cultures'

Which cultures is it that you're worried about? One person committing murder does not equal a whole culture of murderers.

As I said, they live here and are living here under our laws.

I am stating facts that there are cultural differences. Of course, you can choose to ignore the facts that different cultures view the world differently with regard to gay rights, women rights along with other things.

With regard to one incident I could point you to many but I really don't think there would be a point cos you are not really open to discussion on any point I or others have made, you just dig your feet in.

Your point of people living here under our laws doesn't mean a thing. If the law meant much no one would be raped, murdered, robbed etc but in Ireland, if you commit such crimes you get hardly any jail time. Look at the jail time people get for rapping women, it's shocking. I have seen some cases it was only 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

On the whole gay rights thing, it should be kept in mind that the anti-refugee crowd in Ireland are frequently anti-LGBT as well. It's very noticeable that they talk a lot about the supposed threat that refugees pose to women, but they have very little to say about gay rights and how it ties in with asylum seekers coming here.

I would agree with the ones that media talk about are but the majority of Irish people oppose the numbers coming in and I don't think the general public are anti-LGBT.

We could go around in circles. You see no issue with massive amounts of people coming here, I do.

• Advertisement

It's actually funny that the anti refugee movement seems to consider Ireland to be such a utopia of tolerance that no other cultures could possibly be as tolerant as us!

You just have to see the shitshow about the anti-hate speech legislation, or the push against trans rights in this country to prove this idea wrong! It's been legal in this country since 2015 for people to change their gender, yet it appears that the country are anti hate-crime legislation because they fear they won't be able to argue against that!

Attitudes towards travellers in this country are far from tolerant.

The least tolerant people in society appear to be the ones that are so worried about other cultures lack of tolerance! 🙄

The hate speech bill is having pushback from all sides of the political lens. The issue with it is there is no clear definition of hate. I suggest you read the bill. For example, you could have a disagreement with someone from Japan for example and be rude, under the law of having no definition of what hate is, that said person could say you were rude based on racism. The bill is bad for everyone including minorities.

I have read it, and while I do believe there may be issues with the constitutionality of the legislation, given vagueness in law has been deemed unconstitutional in the past, I have no objections to the actual legislation, in theory. I would prefer that it is watertight before publication.

Plenty of threads on boards to discuss, it's totally off topic here, I was merely pointing out at those people who are against such legislation and are anti trans rights, seem to be an overwhelming majority anti refugee also.

hypocritical, but that appears to be standard for a lot of Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Denmark in the past did take in more asylum seekers but attitudes have changed even Ukrainians have to apply for refugee status .

http://refugees.dk/en/facts/numbers-and-statistics/how-many-are-coming-and-from-where/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Eh.. YOU are the one who brought up the Hate Speech bill?

However you illustrate here exactly the flaw with this and all of your arguments. You admit the legislation may be so flawed as to be unconstitutional, yet you are happy to see it proceed.

In the real world however, just as with the wider topic (as I replied to you on the last page), theory, ideology and idealism don't do too well in the Real World in which we live I'm afraid. This Bill, just like the approach to immigration is a mess that ignores the reality and goes against the will of the majority who've commented on it.

You also by the way seem content to ignore the cost and wasted time that legal challenges to it will raise - costs that will no doubt be borne by the taxpayer AGAIN I'm sure.

I guess it's easy to grandstand and be virtuous when it's other people's money and other people who will bear the consequences!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,463 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It seems EU countries are going for tougher stances on entry, while we are like a cartoon sh!te show with entry

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As with so much else, I suspect that certain members of Government will be relieved to see that.

Not because they agree, but because they've painted themselves into a corner on this one and let the HSE.. whoops sorry I mean NGO's - got confused there for a sec! - dictate policy on this issue, regardless of the mess it's become.

This way they have their much used "get out of jail card" and can claim the EU "made" them change the approach!

Where did I say I was happy to see it going through as is? If government are pushing this through, I am happy that our courts will decide as to the constitutionality of any sections of the legislation. In fact, I would put more faith in our supreme court judges then some randomers elected by friends or along family loyalties.

And obviously you didn't read the line

'I would prefer that it is watertight before publication.'

Or maybe it suited you better to just ignore that🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The numbers of asylum seekers coming to Ireland are not especially high per capita compared to any other country in Europe. One could understand the need for a big debate on immigration if we were a major outlier and taking far more refugees per head than elsewhere, but it's simply not the case. The only thing that has really changed is that the anti-refugee movement has become far more vocal in the last year or so and is making much better use of social media than it did previously.

• Advertisement

You do know we are in the EU? An EU wide policy on refugees and asylum seekers would make sense. But posters don't want that right? We want to be different from the EU, don't we? We want to opt out, don't we?

Advertisement