Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2023 Transfer Window - [Excluding Transfers to Saudi Arabia 25.07.23]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I called this a few weeks back.

City are like the Bayern Munich of the Premier League now, they sign anyone they want when they want to.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hope he picks Arsenal over City but thats wishful thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It wouldn't be Declan Rice to tell one team of his intention to play for them, and then abandoning that for a more successful one.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yes it's a disgrace. You would probably need new owners to come in to a club and spend 650m over two transfer windows to be able to catch them. Only seven teams could have a higher net spend over the last five years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Nobody can do that now, City did it and pulled the ladder up behind themselves.

The situation at Chelsea is just as concerning, suddenly all of their unwanted players are attracting full market value bids from Saudi Arabia.

The Premier League is in its death throes if it doesn't do something to stop this crap from continuing.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

City pulling the ladder behind themselves is the key bit really.

their net spend won't be massive the last couple of years, and that fact is endlessly thrown back as an argument. but the damage has obviously been done. and the fact that their chairman can tell everyone, with a straight face, that Manchester City is the number one brand in the world, makes a mockery of any sense of fairness. he didn't say 'team', which would be true. he said 'brand'. which to anyone with a modicum of common sense is a barefaced lie, unless you're doing something insanely dodgy between all the companies you own or have a stake in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Does anyone really believe ANY of City's figures, including their transfer spend.

All those transfer figures are dodgy as fvxk, and with City's history...... Ah here.

Rice to City getting closer.

I know Gundogan is gone, and likely Bernardo, but my God.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Both a huge loss. Can rice play as an 8? Not sure what pep is planning with having rodri, phillips, rice and Kovacic all holding mid. Phillips might be on his way.

Kovacic is an 8.

Rice gives them the option of 2 DMs with Foden further ahead, or Rice can also be coached to do the current Stones role.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Kovacic can definitely play as an 8. He's excellent..rice probably can too to be honest, he'll be going from being coached by Moyes to pep in how to play midfield. No disprecprect to Moyes as I like him, and he's actually had some pretty good midfields but still.

I wait city to pay 100 million and then say we don't spend big money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Rice seemingly prefers the Arsenal move.

You can see why - he’d be an instant upgrade to their midfield, a guaranteed starter in the PL and CL, gets to stay in London.

For City, it would just be another luxury player to throw on the pile of luxury players they have to come on for some minutes here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Yes but for City, he'll win medals and likely pick up bigger payments. Most footballers prefer medals and money.

City are buying him twice really. Once to have him, once to throw Arsenal's long term plan out the window. It doesn't matter if City need Rice or not, they will try to hurt Arsenal either way before they build up more steam. They got burny once with Liverpool and VVD and won't let it happen again.

Xhaka is leaving and Partey about to be sold. They need Rice to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Do you know Qatar and Saudi are not the same thing?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yes, but its two cheeks of the same sportswashing arse, one a bit dirtier than the other.

One a hell of a lot dirtier than the other, but we won't fall out over that.

That's grand so, wasn't clear you knew from your post. Not sure how Neville expects an embargo to be placed on transfers to Saudi either, or isn't aware of how ridiculous that sounds.

Did anyone call for an embargo on China when they were bringing in the cast offs?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Carragher has come out saying much the same as well, they're as bad as each other. Suddenly sportswashing is the new big bad, after the super league was a year or 2 back. Must protect "Best league in the world"(tm) at all costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Doesnt get many goal or assists for an 8. I like him but its a downgrade on gundogan imo. Id rather pep converted a traditional 10 into an 8 role like he did with David Silva and to a lesser extend KDB.

• Advertisement

Arsenal trying to rush Thomas Partey out of the door for less than €20m. Shows how much they want to wash their hands of him, and know what happened off of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bernardo Silva a top class player in his prime going to Saudi Arabia is a serious game changer.

I cant get my head round this if it happens. The word on the street is his missus hates manchester and wants out, which maybe I can get for Barcelona or Madrid but anything other than those 2 doesnt make sense. Throwing away the peak of your career cos your missus cant do a couple of years in manchester with private jets at their finger tips is mental. He has the rest of his life to do whatever he wants, in addition to city already paying him a massive wage it’s not like he is a pauper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It would be utterly hilarious to see city get outmuscled financially by another oil backed state.

Fuckin hilarious.

I lived in Manchester for 3 months once and it was grim, I couldn't wait to leave. However bad it was though I'd never subject my missus to live in Saudi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

I think it's kinda funny that there would be surprise that a player would want to leave City for buckets of money elsewhere when one of the main reasons he would've joined City was for buckets of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I like Manchester - but I suppose the difference is coming from a small town in Ireland and not the beaches of Portugal

Also your experience of Manchester and multi millionaire footballer's experience of Manchester are not going to be the same :D

It would still be a very comfortable lifestyle and they can hop on a private jet any time they need to. It's hardly a prison

Agreed on Saudi

You think the only reason bernardo signed for city was money? Nothing else no?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Most of them live in Cheshire do they not?

I think most players would live in Cheshire which is fairly plush. You often hear players (or usually their partners) complaining about the food, weather, people etc. I don’t understand it, they can import food with the best private chefs in the world, fly off on their private jets, they can avoid the riffraff if it’s too much for them (although somewhat ironically most of them are from working class backgrounds themselves).

Way to burst my bubble - I once ate in the same restaurant as Nemanja Vidic. He sat just 3 tables (and a security team) away from me.

I stand by it being a dreary damp dump though. There's less to do there than here but the 41p pints made it tolerable.

• Advertisement

The days of the cheap pints there are over! Gone really expensive lately, used to be able to have a dirt cheap weekend there now its only marginally cheaper than Ireland

Re Mrs Silva and foreigners in Saudi though.... They won't be exposed or asked to live like normal Saudi plebs though, and the rules imposed on Saudi women for instance won't apply to the Silvas or others.

The son of a neighbour was based in Saudi for a number of years, him and his family. They lived in Western compounds, or compounds for western people, and they could live the same as here, no head coverings, alcohol available, Hollywood movies etc. You were living separate lives to the normal Saudi.

I'd imagine it will be this x100 for these multimillionaire players. I'd say both places the families would live restricted enough lifestyles, but the money and the weather would be a hell of a lot nicer in the land of Saud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'd love Rice to show some decency and integrity and sign for Arsenal - he'll get rich either way , but no doubt sadly City and greed will win again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

Apparently PSG and Real agreed on 200m + 50m add on bonus for Mbappe. Crazy

to be fair to City on this one, leaving aside the position of strength they're in because of what they've done over the last decade or more, they actually do need a midfielder or two.

Gundogan gone. Silva very likely gone. KDB gone for a lengthy period of time and he's 32.

They don't trust Phillips (and yes, that an example of how City can carry a bad signing and it not matter for future dealings, but still, they don't trust him).

So they'll need someone, and if Arsenal can continue to spend like crazy, City have every right to make a big signing in midfield this summer. Also, it's gotten to the point where Arsenal can't really complain about anyone else spending money. they've been insane in windows for a good 18 months now.

I suppose I'm looking at it from a personal perspective. All that sounds like a massive pile of shite to me.

I can live a normal life where my wife is treated like a human as long as we stick to the "western areas".... Nah I'm good.

Yea, me too to be honest. Maybe 10 million per year extra or whatever makes it all go away, I dunno.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

I said 'one of the main reasons', not the only reason.

• Advertisement

Man Utd switching attention from Mount to Caicedo is odd. They are not the same profile of player.

Unless it's just a tactic to try and force Chelsea into accepting their last Mount bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I’d say that’s pretty much what it is, but it’s also a pretty futile gesture if Caicedo’s people also know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Aye, plus Chelsea are after Caicedo but probably can't buy him without shifting Mount. Tbh as a United fan I'm happy enough (if its all accurate), the club are satisfied to pay up to a particular amount but are happy to walk away beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Who says your wife has to live there though. 10 mil a year tax free in your pocket. My misses would pack the bag for me.

Gvardiol to City looking likely.

€100m.

That is a ridiculous replacement for Laporte.

Stones. Ake. Dias. Akanji.

From the bits and pieces I have seen, I think Laporte is actually better. He is older than Gvardiol though so maybe Gvardiols ceiling is higher. I dont think city look at this deal if laporte was happy to stay but apparently he wants out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

They’re hardly paying that for him AND buying Rice in the same window? 🤔

Well presumably you also aren't already a multi millionaire. You and I would obviously move for that money because it would change everything.

The question is more along the lines of would you make the move for possibly double your current wage? No tax.

It's not as enticing at that level is it?

It's good but it's not change everything about my life and live in a county that sees my wife/girlfriend as a 2nd class citizen good.

Also when you already have that level of income from playing top level football for years then it's unlikely to be your only source of income anymore.

I imagine most will have got their money in other investments already making sure their future family is safe. You'd have to have your head in the sand to have that level of money and your only income to be football. A half decent accountant will get your money pulling in some very nice passive income.

I just really don't think it's the no brainer it's being made out to be..

I understand it a bit more for someone at the end of their career who has won the big stuff.

But Neves for example has essentially thrown his career out the window for some extra cash when he's already very rich and will never win anything of note now. It's sad.

Would assume it's just a tactic to get Chelsea to cop on

However, Caicedo is more needed imo and honestly, ten hag missing out on first targets (Timber, De Jong) and settling for second choices (Martinez, Casemiro) has worked out pretty good so I'm all for it

• Advertisement

I think Caicedo is perfect for us. He can play with and he can replace Casemiro in the starting lineup.

We just had to assume that ETH is not looking for that profile of player once the rumors of Mount came out.

Mount makes me think we'll look to invert wing backs and stretch play with our wingers instead. Which will allow more room in the middle for 2 no.8/10 style players in Bruno and Mount.

If we get Caicedo I think we'll have to try to overlap the full backs again and use Casemiro and Caicedo as a double pivot in the middle with Bruno or Eriksen ahead.

Very different profiles of players so interesting to see if we do actually go after Caicedo seriously

Advertisement