Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Homelander

No positives for Ukraine? That's absolutely absurd. Russia showed fractures. Putin was embarrassed and made look weak on the world stage, again. They were literally tearing up motorways on the road to Moscow.

In what world is that a bad day for Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭rogber

Couldn't it be a bad day for Putin and Ukraine?

For Putin for the obvious reasons - makes him look weak and vulnerable.

For Ukraine (and those hopeful of change in Russia) if Putin's response is to execute the war even more aggressively and an ever stricter crackdown on any internal dissent in a pathetic attempt to show "strength".

The one doesn't exclude the other and this could all still evolve in unpredictable ways

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Some of the nonsense from the Pro Russian posters on this thread is mind boggling.

There was literally an armed coup/mutiny in Russia yesterday and that's somehow a good thing for Putin and Russia and a bad thing for Ukraine ?

I mean come on- If you're going to talk up Russia at least make it believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,355 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In the world where you have to desperately push something no matter how tenuous to drop a Russian propaganda cue... to distract from the global embarrassment Russia just went through.

Having seen their military humiliated in Ukraine, the humiliations continue now inside Russia.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Compare to Assad: when some members of the inner circle and army turned against him and he looked on the verge of losing power, his solution was to fight the insurrection with even more brutality and persecute any dissent more brutally. It worked and saved his regime.

Putin, as his biggest assistant, will have watched closely. Saying he might adopt the same approach is not me saying he isn't a brutal thug already. Simply that things can still get worse.

Your last paragraph is a total and obvious misrepresentation of the point I was making and I don't see how even you could be dumb enough to misread it that badly. In no way was I saying Putin hasn't tried hard enough. I can only guess you're furious that your crystal ball failed again so spectacularly yesterday and your prediction that Putin's overthrow was imminent and he was fleeing to Kazakhstan proved as wrong as all your other predictions and now you're just trolling and looking for something new to argue about...it would be pitiable if it wasn't so pathetic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He may be in trouble if his targets for purging were appointees and presumed allies or those in his pocket. If all you have left are toadies and they still conspire against you, even if through inaction, you're in deep trouble.

Putin is weakened, and it's some myopia to see it as anything other than this. An armed mutiny from a crack arm of his military, drove north across Russia without response. The entire world was caught unawares. Most of all the supposed hard man in the Kremlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭zv2

It is interesting how many were cheering the Wagners on in Rostov. Next week they will cheer Putin, not because they want him but because they have to.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

You're welcome to highlight any post of mine saying yesterday was a positive day for Putin. You won't find one. Just like you won't find one saying the war in Ukraine is like a civil war or that I think Putin has prosecuted the war gently.... If you're going to call me a Putinbot at least back it up with evidence rather than just deliberately distorting posts any literate person can see don't mean what you say they do.

Maybe you weren't the Kazakhstan person yesterday but you were proclaiming civil war and mocking me when I said Putin wasn't overthrown yet and let's give it a day or two before drawing triumphant conclusions. We see who's right now and it clearly explains your bizarre aggression today that once again you got it wrong ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

How long will prigozhin live ? putin has to kill him, he already looks like a little bitch that immediately fled moscow…. Or does prigozhin have dirt on putin ? Is there some kompromat at play ????

Question about the Wagner fighters: what happens to those who don't want to sign contracts to join the regular army? And all the hardened criminals? Back to prison or just take their guns and go back into "civil" society?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭farmerval

Don't think so. I think yesterday showed that there is an alternative to Putin. The people in Roston greeted Wagner warmly. The few people near him last night were treating him like a rock star. Putin is in real trouble here.

Yesterday was Prigozyhen proving that he has support, simply needs more for his next move. Yesterday was a disaster for Putin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Prigozhin overplayed nothing.

Yesterday was as effective to hearts and minds, as a frontal assault on the Kremlin. Now he's away off to consolidate his position until the next day, with a massive blow struck.

Putin is a dead man walking, politically if not bodily. Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭zv2

More from the crazy guy. He really is trying to undermine Putin.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

I think people want to believe Putin is a dead man walking. I'll believe it when I see it. In any other normal functioning country he would be. However, this is Russia. Anyone that crosses him probably won't last long.

He couid just as easily, and probably more likely, still be in the hotseat in 5/10 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I wonder where Prigozhin actually is now? Where are his family now? Where were they yesterday?

How is he going to get to Belarus? If he flies what's to stop his plane being shot down?

Will he be taking his Wagner troops with him? Where are they all going to be based? What are they going to do for their income?

What's going to happen to Wagner's operations in Africa and other countries? Will Prigozhin we able to travel freely to those countries?

So many questions....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Supposedly any who want to sign up with MoD can do so, others are free to go.

Immunity for all who participated in the "mutiny"

So possibly a dissolution of wagner group but not handing over all those fighters to the MoD. Where they go next is the big question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

I don't think "free to go" and "immunity" exist in Putin's Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Anybody who avails of the'free to go ' offer will spend the rest of their time looking over their shoulder I would guess .

• Advertisement

The free to go bit surprises me. And there are, presumably, numerous rapists, murderers, paedos and other violent and traumatized men among them... they're just free to wander back into society and do what they want? Sounds like a recipe for awful things to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

When it came to it he couldn't count on the army or the Russian Guard, the people were cheering for the side that were coming to depose him.

That's a big problem for any dictator.

Those who fear him now have a lot less reason to fear him, those who rely on him can't guarantee that he can deliver for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭thereitisgone

Remember, this is Russia, other peoples live dont matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

While taking this with a ship load of salt, did anything actually happen here or just speculation they reached the base?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

But it wasn't Navalny they were cheering, it was Prigozhin, a total psycho. And we're talking what, a few hundred people who came out to cheer? I'm not so sure they were representative of Russians as a whole. It's not like people were jumping to join his troops, which is what you'd expect if he really commanded support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Tbf if that was a foreign army Russians would be galvanized. Nobody would be joining Wagner along the way and there would have been far more attacks slowing them down while defenses in Moscow were made.

But yes it's exposed how weak they'd be to a coup while their entire army is getting battered in Ukraine..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Anyone else been depressed all day with the outcome of this?

If it had continued it could have forced much of the Russian army back to Moscow and logistics into Ukraine would have been completely severed.

I guess I'll just have to settle for the multiple aircraft and pilot losses which is genuinely a boost for Ukraine.

I agree. Which is why the example of Assad, against whom there was much more hatred in the country, is relevant, and from whom Putin learned a lot: no compromise, instead remorseless brutality.

Lukashenko also seemed finished a few years ago.

The Iranian regime looked in serious trouble last year.

All of them are still in power, their opponents mostly dead or in jail.

Just mentioning those examples here gets you labelled a Putin supporter by one or two morons (see above), whereas it's simply based on watching similar cases unfold elsewhere and recognising that this is not a Hollywood movie and happy endings are not guaranteed.

Putin may fall, or he may still be there in 5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Move to Belarus and rebuild his Army using Belarusians ,he's going to have access to everything in Belarus now tanks ,IFVs , attack helicopters and aircraft,it's kinda a win win for him when you think about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Apparently this isn’t a headache and worry for Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Absolutely but now blood has been spilt in the kremlim ocean ,it's now safe to say that shark's are going to be on the prowl picking off the weakest prey, think about putin has his own personal army protecting him yet a handful of Wagner forces and prigozhin was pretty much able to walk up to the gates of Moscow without opposition.

That's makes things even more dangerous for Moscow,at this stage a big push by the Ukrainians could well end up with 3 days to Moscow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Was he told in no uncertain terms if he continued to Moscow his family will be targeted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It puts Wagner less than 100km from Kiev incidentally. Don't think that will go un-noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's not, really. Firstly, there doesn't seem to be much appetite among the general Belarusian population to fight for Russia against Ukraine, so recruitment of soldiers would be, to say the least, politically fraught.

Secondly, Belarus's military gear amounts to a fraction of what Russia already has in its arsenal, much of it being soviet hand-me-downs, and it wouldn't need Prigozhin to requisition it, as Putin could effectively order its handover, with Luka begging to keep some as a way of maintaining internal security.

Last, but by no means least, so little of the details of the deal appear to be known that the idea of Prigozhin taking up some kind of command position in Belarus's military or being allowed to leverage it for the benefit of his private army appears wildly speculative at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Yeah. I doubt very much that Putin will allow Prigozhyn to command anything more than a hot dog stand after this weekends clusterf**k.

He'd be absolutely mad to let him have thousands of trained infantry at his disposal again. Unless theres some really enormous information thats eluded everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

How many Putins are there ?

https://youtu.be/b3USrx2eu4E?t=106

Russia has made no serious attempt to attack Ukraine from the north in well over a year. If their military planners thought it was a viable route, they'd be all over it, given how long their forces have been held in the south and east, as well as offering the shortest route to Kyiv. Therefore, I have to think that Russia has looked at the satellite imagery, seen what defensive fortifications have had ample time to build and improve, and concluded that a land invasion via this route would be impossible to try again with what they have. And if that is what the Russian command did decide, then it's safe to assume that the Russian Mad Mike Hoare and his band of merry men would have even worse luck. Fish in a barrel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mike_cork

A retired British General was saying over the weekend on the Times Podcast that it's an open secret how the Belarussian army are little more than a rabble. Non existent training, archaic equipment & v little will to fight.

Lukashenko has been playing a delicate game since the start of the invasion where he's willing to give support to Putin just so long as he doesn't have to commit his own troops (and thereby weaken his own position within Belarus). I can't see him allowing some lunatic to raise an army, drawing from his own people as he'd be concerned that it would inevitably lead to him being toppled. If that is the actual plan then he won't be long throwing sand in the gears.

Who knows though. There's scant detail right now. All the main players are keeping very quiet. We'll probably learn more in the next few days and weeks. Prigozhin isn't exactly the sort to stay quiet for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭IdHidden

Take Kyiv :) yes good plan!! They should be able to take it in 3 days. After all it only took them months on end to get Bakhmut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,230 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wellllll... they tried taking Kyiv in February, the ground wasn't actually that cold, they got stuck in chilling mud, etc. etc.

If they attack in summer and the path is firm and dry any push from Belarus like that might not necessarily play out the same as The Battle of Kyiv. Though I warrant NATO has thought about this, along with 10,000 other things, 24/7/365.

Belarusians are already not crazy about the war in Ukraine and many aren't big fans of Luka, either. Given that Wagner is a private army of mercenaries, you'd have thought that membership would have been open to Belarusians as it was, given the political and cultural ties to Russia and Belarus, so whoever in Belarus was wont to join, could have already. Prigozhin wouldn't need to base his operations out of Belarus for that to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,230 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I remember someone on Twitter saying that if Putin is close to "regular" people then it's probably a double. So basically the Putin that shows up at factories, the Putin that went to the Donbass and the Putin at the May day Parade, sitting amongst the veterans, were probably all doubles.

In contrast if he's on his own talking to the camera in the Kremlin or talking to people at the end of the long table or giving a speech in the big hall with a massive gap between him and the audience then that's likely to be the real Putin.

For example, this was Putin's visit to Mariupol in Match of this year:

And this is from the May Day parade last month:

I think both of them are doubles (not sure if they are the same person or not)

In contrast this was him yesterday, on his own, in the Kremlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Maybe that was part of the plan of this whole orchestrated circus and maybe (more importantly) who would come out in against Putin if they thought there was a coup going on.

None did

Prigozhyn AND Putins plan worked and it got the west here wetting all over themselves with joy

Prigozhyn and Putin are enjoying a lovely MINCEMEAT burger as we speak

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

If Russia hasn't got the stuff to push from the east/south, they've not got the stuff to push from the north. You know how people say that Russia has had lots of time to prepare defences in the south? Well, Ukraine has had at least as much time to prepare defences in the north and, unlike Ukraine, Russia does not have access to fast armour to try and breach lines. All they have is the same numbers game that is failing to make any headway. Conclusion: no route to Kyiv, whether the ground is wet or dry.

It probably is but Wagner wasn't as much of a threat to Lukashenko when they were in Africa, Syria or even Ukraine. Having them in Belarus? That would surely would be a different story altogether.

I'm just basing this off what I've observed about Lukashenko. He plays the buffoon but he's been quiet skillful at keeping himself in power, his army out of Ukraine and Putin on his side so far. Inviting a private army into his country just seems like a massive and obvious risk to his own position so I'd be surprised if that is how it plays out. Let's see though...

After thought: Also I can't see Putin being too happy to allow Prigozhin to become any stronger than he already was either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement