Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Photobox

Just said the exact same thing to my other half before reading your post, it is so infuriating, he said similar to Paul Murphy and im certainly no fan of PM. But the irony is beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

First thing that jumped to mind when he said this. The neck to say such a thing while being a member of government currently ramming through a bill with no popular mandate which restricts freedom of speech.

Astounding lack of self awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Unlike blasphemy, hate speech doesn't have a ban on it in the Constitution. Therefore, the new law can be challenged in the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

McEntee is now stating that new research by the University of Limerick and Queen’s University Belfast included an Amárach Research survey and was “more representative of the general population” saying that this had shown 82% of those polled favors the “protection of transgender people in the bill,”. New research? Well isn't that convenient? And what's also convenient this new research won't be available to us for months. Engagement with "key stakeholders"? The NGOs and the people that will benefit from this bill being implemented? As in her husband.....allegedly.

That still doesn't explain the complete disregard for the response to their own government's public consultation and its results. But 73% of 3,597 submissions were from people who were diss informed and uneducated, who've been lied to and misled, by the far right people on the internet.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is what happens when we elect TDs based on who their father was and allow them to fail upwards.

This woman had done nothing of note before being elected and now she is holding one of the most powerful ministries and using it to push her identity politics twitter crusading into real laws that will criminalise anyone who isn't "on message" with the latest trend.

I've said it before.. for all the (deserved) criticism FF get, FG in government are FAR more dangerous to our society. We just haven't seen it as often because they are never elected on their own merits but as a protest vote - and only until they remind us why that is!

... Which they've just done again - well that and the housing crisis, healthcare crisis, free-for-all immigration policy, and all the other damage they've done in the past decade!

what time zone does this gobsh*te exist in

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

According to the tweet above supposedly Helen McEntee isn't going to rush the bill through the Seanad. We'll see.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's honestly hard to work out if Helen is genuinely dense, a complete snake, or just doing what she's told. Aims don't matter if they still trample on our rights in the process. She too goes straight for the word "vulnerable" a establishment favourite term to evoke emotions and sympathy. They love to use the term around immigration too, where we often here about all the "vulnerable refugees" that we must save.

She's also abusing the live and let live philosophy, which often means "I may not agree with you but you've a right to your opinion", which she's literally in the process of harming. In ways it's like they are mocking us, but I think with the likes of Helen that she honestly doesn't give these things enough serious thought to understand the contradiction.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭lmao10

I'm just loving how all these edgelords and far right scumbags becoming prominent has got this legislation fast tracked.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Good post.

Terms like "vulnerable" "persecuted" "desperate" etc are liberally sprinkled throughout the justification of this proposal. It is a form of decorating/embellishing what is a very sinister and ill concieved project with emotional adjectives.

It is the thin end of a very dangerous wedge and, regardless of any good intentions, will be weaponised by those who wish to silence any debate, criticism or opposition to whatever agenda they are pushing.

I think it is inexplicable that the leadership of this country can allow this outrageous attack on freedom to succeed.

McEntee has her 'Dear diary' moment writing for the times today. It's full of thoughts and prayer, and feelings. "I'm right, you are uneducated" It's like nailing jelly to a wall.

"The meaning of gender in this bill applies for this bill alone and has no bearing on other legislation."

In the Gender Recognition Act 2015, not only is the definition of gender clearly defined in binary fashion - Male and Female, gender is also defined the same way in the Employment Equality Act 1998, Interpretation Act 2005, Passports Act 2008, International Protection Act 2015, Criminal Justice (Victims of Crime) Act 2017, Gender Pay Gap Information Act 2021. I wonder why the definition of gender has been clearly defined in each of the six acts provided yet a whole new definition appears in this Bill? Also Simon Harris said he was “future-proofing the legislation“, which one can presume to mean there will be future definitions coming down the line and it will fit this bill. Mental

Government: "We aren't attacking freedom of speech, we are legislating against hate."

Us: "Ok, so what's the definition of hate?"

Government: "We cannot tell you that or it will make it harder for us to achieve convictions for hate speech. But we pinkie promise freedom of speech is protected".

That's the entire defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭techdiver

Yeah, this Irish obsession with voting along family lines puts the monarchy loving brits to shame. It's scarcely believable that her only qualification for being put before the electorate in the first place was her last name and the fact that FG cynically put her on the ballot knowing the lemmings that our electorate are, would vote for her.

Regarding the bill itself, it's laughable that people here defend it based on a few TDs and the AG saying - "Jaysus lads, don't worry it's only the worst of offenses that will get prosecuted". Of course when asked where the definition of "hate" or "worst offenses" are in the bill were told it doesn't need to be in there. "Trust us...".

Watch this bill be weaponised by loons on both sides and the very vagueness of the law will serve only to copper fasten what a pile of crap the law is.

Of course, part of the issue here is political fallout. It's not permissible for individual politicians or parties to just throw their hands up and admit - "Sorry, we got this wrong". They must see everything though, regardless of them knowing something is bad rather than admit the embarrassment of rolling something back. The media and electorate have to shoulder the blame for that to an extent. Personally, I would have more respect for someone who admits a mistake and amends it, than someone who dogmatically sticks to their guns, but the media never frame it that way.

She actually explains things quite well. It's quite clear why the hate speech bill is needed.

Regarding the bill itself, it's laughable that people here defend it based on a few TDs and the AG saying - "Jaysus lads, don't worry it's only the worst of offenses that will get prosecuted". Of course when asked where the definition of "hate" or "worst offenses" are in the bill were told it doesn't need to be in there. "Trust us...".

That's not why they support it. They, the activist class and the NGOs, have and always will always support stuff like this because they think/know that legislation like this will either slow down or stop any rising dissent from their political rivals. They don't care if it's exactly what we think it is, and will do anything to down play our fears, because they too believe in our fears, but what are fears to us are powerful tools to them. Nearly all of the supporters of stuff like this on boards alone are notorious for trying to shut down threads, and abusing the feedback forum to get their way. This legislation will simply legalize the kind of powers that they have on places like boards, and apply it to the whole nation. They are thundering narcissists who don't care about the consequences of anything once they get their way. We're essentially being ruled by the desires of spoiled brats.

You literally are legally clueless. The law functions on specifics, things that are very clearly and precising defined in the name of clarity. This legislation as it stands is a legislative joke, a mockery of Western legal standards, that I hope will be unmercifully mocked if it ever gets near the courts.

The fact that one of the most legally flawed pieces of legislation arguably ever made, doesn't get the derision it deserves from our politicians, media and our supposed legal scholars, say so much about the sorry state of modern Ireland.

Have you even taken the time to read it? Because thats a whole load of incorrect rubbish you just posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

You must have read a different piece to the one I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I don't understand what most posters objections are?

I have some doubts about the vagueness of the legislation, as vagueness in law is unconstitutional. But, in theory I have no issue with hate crime legislation. What is it people are most worried about?

From reading this thread it seems they're all afraid that they won't be able to argue about trans rights?

As usual, no substance. A rational and reasonable person would explain themselves, and show me the error of my ways. I've made no errors though, so you'll not be showing me any.

Consider educating yourself rather than asking others to educate you. I'm not being paid for it so why would I bother when you clearly have the ability to do it yourself. Obviously you would rather not do it. If you're willing to pay me I've no problem doing it. Otherwise try google.

Consider looking it up again to find the right one.

Absurd. You're on a discussion forum, tossing around baseless statements that you won't actually discuss. You're the one claiming I'm wrong, so the onus is on you to back that up, which is ironically a standard enshrined in our legal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

I was addressing a reference to the 2009 blasphemy law on this thread. That law was in place until the constitutional ban on blasphemy was repealed. The difference with the 'hate speech' law is that, unlike the 2009 law, it doesn't put a constitutional ban on something into effect, and thus it can be challenged in the courts.

You can't just spout clear and obvious rubbish and then expect the onus to be on people to waste their time correcting you. I'm just telling you it's rubbish which I'm sure you know already. So why would I waste my time any further unless I'm being paid to do so?

You're literally wasting your own time engaging with me then if you won't back up your words. How can you not see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

We already have laws which make incitement to hatred a crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I wonder why the definition of gender has been clearly defined in each of the six acts provided yet a whole new definition appears in this Bill? Also Simon Harris said he was “future-proofing the legislation“, which one can presume to mean there will be future definitions coming down the line and it will fit this bill. Mental

The Minister explains why gender is defined the way it is for the purposes of this legislation, just above the part you quoted -

We have also defined gender in a manner that includes a person’s gender, their expressed or preferred gender and the gender with which they identify.

This is to allow for the protection of transgender and non-binary people. If we did not do so, a non-binary person who was attacked for who they are would not be protected.

The meaning of gender in this bill applies for this bill alone and has no bearing on other legislation.

Government: "We aren't attacking freedom of speech, we are legislating against hate."

Us: "Ok, so what's the definition of hate?"

Government: "We cannot tell you that or it will make it harder for us to achieve convictions for hate speech. But we pinkie promise freedom of speech is protected".

That's the entire defense.

There is no ‘Us’, there is you, who appears to have considerable difficulty with accepting the reasons for why the Bill is drafted the way it is -

There have been suggestions that we include a definition of “hate” in the legislation but by being overly prescriptive we risk making the law so complicated it could be ineffective.

“Hate” is not defined in the current incitement to hatred legislation. It is commonly understood by people generally, by judges, juries and the director of public prosecutions. In the UK the term “hostility” is used and is not defined any further because it is commonly understood.

The law functions on specifics, things that are very clearly and precising defined in the name of clarity.

To claim anyone is literally legally clueless, and then to follow it up with a claim like that, takes some doing.

It ignores so much of the legislative and judicial process that it’s not even remotely worth entertaining. Were it an actual fact, there would be no requirement for the Courts to interpret the intent of the legislation, or what legislation applies and how it applies in criminal and civil cases.

Advertisement