Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Good update, thanks for sharing. I've used the open section at Fairview quite a bit lately and it's grand but a complete pain in the hole if you want to progress up Fairview strand rather than into town. There's the "nip over the concrete curb and two lanes of traffic" or dismount and cross at edges corner, which can take a while.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I presume dismounting at edges is going to be the official way when it’s open properly. But I could be wrong.

Quite possibly but it's a brutal junction to have to cross with a bike.

Yeah, I think I've done it just once recently, and came off somewhere near the footbridge to move across.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭bikeman1

According to the drawings to access Fairview Strand, bicycles will pull into the left off the main bike lane and then turn right when the lights permit. There will be a single straight across crossing to Edge's from the park, doing away with the current split one which can take ages to cross as the lights don't sync.

Until then, it is fend for yourself!

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, it's been a while since I looked at the drawings.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

More confusing signage at the 516 stop this weekend. Apart from the fact that it didn't close on the date original indicated aove there are now two seemingly contradictory signs at the same stop. I assume what the second sign means is that the moved stop will be closed on those days.

I did notice that the next bus stop out (4384 - Bayview Avenue) is closed for the outbound works - I think this might be the one that isn't comin back afterwards.

Apologies for the sideways posting but this seems to be a Boards.ie thing as the pictures are the right way up when I open the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭highdef

Take photos in landscape mode rather than portrait. That should be ok then, works for me 100% of the time anyway.

Landscape orientated photos are great for all in any case as you can rotate your phone quite easily but rotating your laptop or computer screen to view a portrait orientated image is rather cumbersome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to know Boards.ie favours the 'old school' landscape (ie normal) mode.

• Advertisement

The current outbound bus stop on the North Strand has finally been closed and moved out the road by 100 yards (quite close to Newcommen bridge).

I'm wondering whether this is a permanent move because the Portland Row stop has been moved permanently much closer to the Five Lamps junction. So if the North Strand stop does revert back to it's original location you'll end up with 2 bus stops within around 200 yards of each other. This would be very odd indeed given that the outbound stop on the other side of Newcommen bridge is being removed permanently (as far as I am aware) making quite a big gap between the North Strand and the Annesley Bridge stops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Though they have left the window open with a phrase  "It may be possible therefore to locate a constrained stop at this location" regarding stop 617.

They have not heard the end of this. There is a surge in local realisation that we were lied to with the 'temporary removal of stops for the duration of the works' bs.

The irony of the 'limited space' being given to new car parking spaces instead of the already existing bus stop is just sublime. The useless Greens when contacted didn't even know where the stop was and suggested residents 'use Fairview footbridge'. What a shower of clowns.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, the anger is just delayed here, when people, outside of those who into these kinds of things, start to realise that a bus stop is gone and in an underhand way too, then there'll be a huge backlash.

I'm actually sympathetic to NTA and the need to remove some bus stops, but this was entirely the wrong way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Sympathetic? Don't be. Let this be absolutely clear, they did not carry out any consultation on this decision.

There were 2x inbound stops on Amiens street. They decided to remove the stop at Preston Street, despite Irish Rail submitting plans for a new Dart Station entrance BEFORE the bus stop changes were announced.

Instead, they retained the Amiens street stop closer to the Five Lamps / Seville Place. I suspect this is to connect with the future orbital bus route, however if they carried out any consulting, they would have moved the Newcommen / Canal stop closer to the Five Lamps and retained the Preston Street and North Strand (617) stops.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I mean, on some routes, there are too many bus stops. In order to get to a better service, I would agree with removing some stops, even if that means some people (even if it affected me) would end up further away from a bus stop.

Where I disagree with the NTA is the process for deciding which stops to remove, and how to go about it. A consultation with locals where proposals can be hammered out? Yes, definitely, even if it means that some stops remain, or it's less than ideal for everyone. A fait accompli, where people are told one thing at the start, and then have the end result swapped out? Absolutely not, it's so stupid.

Whoever signed off on the new barrier arrangement on the outbound section just before Edges corner needs to be immediately fired. It's unbelievably dangerous for cyclists and vehicles the way it protrudes into the inside lane and creates a dangerous pinch point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Are they compelled to have consultations tho? I know they do it to get buy in, and get better ideas onboard, but in the end of they day it's their job to best manage transport in Dublin some times that means skipping a bus stop that annoys 100 houses, to speed up journey times for the 10,000 houses further out that are serviced by those routes

I find the green on that map extremely hard to view if I'm honest.

So my understanding is that Stop 515 (Portland Row) has moved closer to the Five Lamps and Stop 516 (North Strand) has moved closer to the bridge but the distance between then has actually reduced from 289 to 258 meters. Stop 518 is then being removed so the next stop will then be Stop 519 at Poplar Row some 586 metres further out. That's quite an uneven split in distances.

One wonders why they didn't consider moving Stop 516 over the bridge thus smoothing out the distances between the stops? If it had moved 150 yards further out the distances would then have been 408 and 436 metres which would seem far more practical.

They couldn't / didn't move the bus stop to the other side of the bridge as it's on a hill. But one thing is for sure, a more even distance between stops could easily have been achieved if they had bothered to try!

• Advertisement

Where the new Stop 516 has been place is also on a hill. The road rises up to Newcomen Bridge as you leave the city to cross the canal and railway and then descends on the far side. The gradient isn't that steep on either side. I don't see much difference in placing it on either side of the bridge.

On the outbound side of canal, the paths are too narrow for a bus stop, cyclelane and a path, so that could be the main reason.

But I've cycled that route almost everyday for years. Trust me (or cycle it yourself), the outbound side from Canal towards Fairview is far steeper.

In any case, I don't know the permitted regulations for bus stop gradients downhill or uphill, it was just an opinion.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Yeah, Alfie Byrne inward bound seems to be finishing up.

Had a good look at the cycle lane as it exists from Fairview to Amiens Street from the upper deck of a 27 last Thursday. It seems to be coming along well for the most part and looks fairly decent, although the junction at Annesley Bridge iteself seems a bit odd. There's a bit of work to be done here so it wasn't entirely apparent how the lane will operate.

Is there an official date for when the inbound side finishes? I'd be hopeful that it might be done in time for the schools returning at the end of August when traffic volumes step up again.

Also any know if there are plans to remove the inbound restrictions for normal traffic once that side of the road is complete?

Works have slowed down last week and we will see what happens this week. I presume the workers are having their holidays at this time of year.

I would be surprised if they get the full section open by September inbound.

Yeah, there's parts inbound that are still a while away from being finished. Considering the amount of works still required outbound, and the length of time it's taken inbound, there's no way that this will be finished before the new year as planned.

They're very close to being completely finished at the Alfie Bryne Junction, they've completely reopened the bus lane by removing the chicane. So far I've only seen cars trying to use the left turn lane block the bus lane once, but it is summer time, so I'd expect it to be a lot worse come autumn/winter. Really goes to show that Irish people don't know the rules of the road, so I'd expect there to be those silly plastic bollards placed along there in short order.

Talking about people who can’t drive. Look at this idiot I came across the other day on Griffith Ave! Like how do these people even have a licence.

I’m not a fan of bollards or the cement curbs they have put in on other parts, but seeing things like this reminds you that they are necessary because of poor driving knowledge of the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

what makes you think he was cycling and what's the relevance of your question?

Advertisement